• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot22| Financial Fair Play? Je ne comprends pas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

venison crêpe
When will the OT go live?

Also, can someone explain to me how did Greece was able to qualify for the WC? Watched their friendly against Portugal... goddamn they are awful.

Hoping next weekend. Perhaps Monday/Tuesday if things go terribly this week.

Sorry I've been posting so much about it lately. Just want to make sure it's a good OT for everyone.

wedward

exactly. Wenger's delusional.

I get that you buy a kid, you're buying potential—that's fine. Then why are we paying 12m for him? that's an absurd fee. there's no doubt he's talented but the hype around him is basically around two games (creates RVP's goal against Utd and played in CM against a moribund Milan side) because outside of that, you've got a sample size of three years where he's been erratic, unable to hold down a place in the team, and struggling with injuries despite barely playing.

Just because a young player has a high ceiling doesn't mean he's going to get there. He was a terrible signing at the time and considering he has yet to become a productive member of the squad, I think it's fair to say that was still a poor signing.

both Gervinho and Ox came in the same window and iirc Gervinho was cheaper. Gervinho's a better player than Ox is but he somehow ended up being the scapegoat. I don't understand that logic; it's stuff like that which Wenger does that frustrates me.

Gervinho is 27. What is his excuse for being shit?

"Unable to hold down a place in the team"

I think you just have unrealistic expectations honestly.

Salvadora

exactly. Wenger's delusional.

I get that you buy a kid, you're buying potential—that's fine. Then why are we paying 12m for him? that's an absurd fee. there's no doubt he's talented but the hype around him is basically around two games (creates RVP's goal against Utd and played in CM against a moribund Milan side) because outside of that, you've got a sample size of three years where he's been erratic, unable to hold down a place in the team, and struggling with injuries despite barely playing.

Just because a young player has a high ceiling doesn't mean he's going to get there. He was a terrible signing at the time and considering he has yet to become a productive member of the squad, I think it's fair to say that was still a poor signing.

both Gervinho and Ox came in the same window and iirc Gervinho was cheaper. Gervinho's a better player than Ox is but he somehow ended up being the scapegoat. I don't understand that logic; it's stuff like that which Wenger does that frustrates me.
We paid £12m (and in reality, probably more) because we bought an English player from Southampton. That's the way it is when you do that.

He's had a difficult season because he got injured the opening day and then didn't play again until 2014. It's going to take time after an injury like that to get back into the swing of things and we've already seen a couple of sizzling performances at the back-end of the season.

Not going to deny that he has yet to live up to my expectations, but given enough time I believe he will develop into a great player. The ingredients are there. Our investment is ongoing.

EmiPrime

The notion that Arsenal could have matched the wages Chelsea were offering Mata and outbid them on the transfer fee is a laughable one.

Pachimari

The ideal Real Madrid transfer activity:

Sell:
Arbeloa
Morata (with buy-back option)

Loan:
Casimero

Buy:
Attacker
Right-back to complete with Carvajal (focus on speed to facilitate counter attacking play)

Edit: LOL forgot to write Morata's name

We don't need to sell anyone in defensive. And why of all Arbeloa? He's mostly solid and covers both left and right back positions. And he is pure madridista.

And why a new right back to facilitate counter attacks? We already have Carvajal for that and he have been superb.

Mata had a release clause which expired at the start of August wasn't it.

Think he was earning less than £100k whilst at Chelsea too.

Clegg

Mata had a release clause which expired at the start of August wasn't it.

Think he was earning less than £100k whilst at Chelsea too.
I remember reading an article that said United doubled his wages. Apparently we're paying him around £160k a week so Arsenal could easily have afforded him imo. That whole transfer saga was weird. For weeks it looked like they were favourites to sign him but they never pulled the trigger.

Edit: Beaten

EmiPrime

I imagine most young girls who wants to grow up to be footballers probably dream about playing for Arsenal. Success breeds success, and the clubs commitment to women's sport is pretty special.

It is yeah, definitely something to be proud of. Luckily more English clubs are putting money into the women's game so it will get more and more competitive.

Why did Chelsea pay more than the release clause?

He also said wages.

She. :)

Arsene has never been able to buy whoever he wants. United especially pre-Glazers had far more resources then the oil money infected the game and Chelsea then City came in. It's not fantasy football where players have fixed prices and you can sign whoever.

Slizz

What's the story here?

This pic...

BpCuPYpIMAEWwHD.jpg

And I will ask the same question again. Why are they all sitting in the back?

EmiPrime

it expired at the end of July iirc. like the Fellaini transfer

we cleared 250k of world class players off the books. of course we could afford his wages.

Arsenal have a wage structure that Arsene will not break. Whatever we offer Chelsea can exceed it.

Slizz

They sat where they wanted. Why does it trouble you?

Doesn't trouble me at all.

Just trying to lighten up the mood here, since on previous pages there was mention of how white the England National Team is and how people were hoping it'd become more diverse over the next years.

Hitcher got it....

pappe

Doesn't trouble me at all.

Just trying to lighten up the mood here, since on previous pages there was mention of how white the England National Team is and how people were hoping it'd become more diverse over the next years.

Hitcher got it....

I was joking.

jtb

Banned
I bet you thought Ramsey was shit too.

He was shit.

anyways, my point isn't that Ox can't be a good player, only that his position isn't playing in the middle of the park. just like how Ramsey's position wasn't as a 10 or on the wing or at fullback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom