• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot22| Financial Fair Play? Je ne comprends pas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

Eh. If we bring in a world class striker and DM and still end up 4th I don't think having Cesc would change that.
I have every confidence in Ozil, but if Cesc returns to England and triumphantly takes back the assist king crown, it sure as hell will.

I wish I didn't care so much :(

[

England
a2qIOvi.png

8cHuTKD.jpg
04AbgJX.jpg
qyHvLRq.jpg

Nickname:The Three Lions (though nobody really calls us that)
Rivals: Argentina
World Ranking: 11th
Previous WC: 13, including this one
Best: Champions, 1966
Last: Round of 16, 2010

Route to the Finals:

Pretty big changes between the national setup now, and that of 2010. Many players have retired or become more bit-part, such as Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Heskey (lol), Crouch, Barry and Defoe. Also a change at the managerial level, with Fabio Capello departing and Roy Hodgson taking charge. Playstyle is much the same however, generally confused, inconsistent, and incapable of attacking and defending well at the same time. This World Cup is set up to be a little muddled, with some players looking to gain experience from being there, others seeing it as their last chance to do something for England, and nobody knowing whether to be pessimistic or cautiously optimistic about our chances of getting past the group stage, let alone making an impact in the knockout stages.

The path to the tournament was reasonably simple as it was never really out of our hands, though we cut it fine at the end, only finishing above 2nd placed Ukraine by a solitary point. Nobody in the country much fancied our chances in a playoff scenario, so that was a welcome relief, though there was never much chance of finishing third given the fact that there was a 6-point gap between Ukraine and 3rd-placed Montenegro. Playing for a 0-0 draw in Ukraine, which was hugely criticised at the time, ended up being a smart move as it proved the difference.

Players to watch:

Wayne Rooney

L42W9KA.jpg

The Great White Hope, The White Pele, The White Stripes, The Wright Stuff......wait. England's talisman, the man we look to before every big match to make the difference for us, the most marketed English player. But that tells nowhere near the full story with this guy. Prone to lose his head, prone to disappear when we need him most, prone to score, prone to look like the only competent player in our attack, prone to be the worst player in our attack. In my opinion, far too inconsistent to be given the amount of responsibility he has been given since 2006 or so, but the guy has plenty of goals in him even when he's not playing well. For the first time in his career, the question has been asked about whether he is worth his squad position as a guaranteed starter, no matter what form he's in, how fit he is, or which tactical setup will be employed. At 28, this is perhaps his last chance to make an impact on a World Cup (a positive one, anyway), as he's yet to score at one, and was sent off against Portugal in 2006. In fairness, he has not been fit going into the last 2 World Cups, but such is the pressure we put on him to win us matches single-handedly, he's played anyway. I think it's fair to say he struggles to reach our media's unrealistic expectations, but he is capable of fantastic performances in a few different positions, which we'll need from him.

Daniel Sturridge
ZbYtdPP.jpg

The unexpected rise of the Liverpool striker has been something to behold, and thrown a bit of a spanner in the works for the national team. It used to be that it was Rooney+1, and nobody really had any faith in that +1 doing something special, or taking pressure off of Rooney to score all the goals, since Owen declined anyway. Now, England finally seem to have someone capable of leading the line either alongside Rooney, or in his stead if necessary. Fast, quick on the turn, occasionally annoyingly selfish, with a left foot like a traction engine, and a great sense of where to be to get a shot on goal, he's finally living up to the potential he showed 4 year or so ago. There's been a lot of debate about changing the entire systm in order to get the best from Sturridge and make him the main man, but that is not going to happen. Sometimes frustrating to watch, but he should inject some real class into England's attacking unit. I say 'should' because he still hasn't got many caps, and he's only recently forced himself into England's first 11.

Steven Gerrard
HEXWLvX.jpg

Similar to Rooney in many ways, Gerrard has never truly recaptured his club form for England, constantly struggling to find a role within the team to get the best of his own ability, and build a partnership with whoever he has played with in centre-midfield, normally Frank Lampard. However, England's captain has had something of a renaissance over the last 12 months, moving to a deeper midfield quarterback role, which in theory gets the best of his long passing ability, and negates his declining pace and stamina as much as possible. As good as he's been for Liverpool in this role though, he is still not the most consistent passer, and is liable to give a few balls away, which are either almost harmlessly kicked into touch, or worryingly set up a counterattack as they leave everyone out of position. Also, while he plays as a defensive midfielder, he's not the best at actually defending, be it tracking runners, positioning to intercept, or the basic instincts you find in a player who's been there for his entire career. I worry that this lack of instinct and fitness could be exposed against better teams than those found in the Premier League, and if that transpires, any chance of having a successful World Cup may well slip away. This will almost certainly be Gerrard's final tournament for England, so he'll be desperate to make it a good one, especially coming off of last season's somach-punch. If Gerrard plays decently, England will have a platform to succeed. If he doesn't, we're screwed.

Trivia: England will win the World Cup

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I realise I haven't said anything about Rooney's actual ability in his section, but I ran out room and there's a huge disparity between the way he can play, and the way he does play.

Also, I only realised Sturridge's photo is from the Daily Mail and has a copyright watermark on it when I'd already resized it, not sure if I should choose a different one

Poor Michael Carrick. Though he may be replacing Ox if he can't go, right?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
still havent played past the opening 20 minutes of the Witcher 2, the tutorial was so horrible, threw so much info at you at once half of which I just didnt understand.

I can't wait till next season! 3rd this season and Champions League Semis and no we are strengthening in the key areas quickly that will take us to a Champions League final and the title for sue
3AQmK.gif

There's nobody really who can replace Ox since Sterling is already there, so Roy will bolster another area of the squad. Stones or Flanagan would be my guess, since our depth at CB and RB is embarassing.

edit: YES WARRIOR

Holy fuck that witcher 3 collectors edition, that can't be cheap lol

Also nice to hear him saying the editions won't have any differences in the actual game itself, i was just whining about that yesterday.

wedward

I have every confidence in Ozil, but if Cesc returns to England and triumphantly takes back the assist king crown, it sure as hell will.

I wish I didn't care so much :(

When Mata was available Arsenal fans weren't begging Arsene to buy him.

It's totally emotional and that's not a good way to run a football club.

Don't watch well relegate you guys to 5th spot for the next decade and then you won't have to

Lol. You aren't signing anyone.

Salvadora

Holy fuck that witcher 3 collectors edition, that can't be cheap lol

Bit man child with that statue.
When Mata was available Arsenal fans weren't begging Arsene to buy him.

It's totally emotional and that's not a good way to run a football club.
Come on, Wedward.

Surely you can see the difference between Cesc and Juan fucking Mata. It's partly an emotional decision, sure, but there are real business reasons for why it would be a good purchase.

Yeah, I liked Flower but not in the same class for me.

Probably because Journey was one of my best gaming memories, it was a game I could play in front of my daughter and she was entranced. She sat with my for like 3 hours, barely moved until I got to the point on the sliding sands and you see that light from the 'cave'... we both sat up and let out a little "wow".

Any news on that coming to PS4 yet? 1080p of that game will blow minds.

That's a cute story. I agree with you that Journey was on a different level, compared to Flower, but Flower was so good too, it just shows how amazing Journey was. It was so beautiful, the 'multiplayer' was so unique. I really hope it gets a re-release on PS4. I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

If Arnie and Wilbur didn't die, we would have a very angry post right here. Journey was fantastic though, Flower? Eh, I liked it for 30 minutes when I had a headache.

Flower was beautiful. The only thing I didn't like was the level where you could 'die' it was unnecessary and didn't fit with the relaxing style of the game for me personally.

Still loved it though and bought it again for the PS4.

wedward

Bit man child with that statue.

Come on, Wedward.

Surely you can see the difference between Cesc and Juan fucking Mata. It's partly an emotional decision, sure, but there are real business reasons for why it would be a good purchase.

I am just saying I think it is fueled by emotion more than anything and that's not good.

33 is a good price for Cesc. He would improve our team, but if we have a set budget then I don't see what options we have.

We need a striker, DM and RB more than we need a creative mid. Arguably need a winger more as well. I would rather go all out on those positions than have to skimp so we can get Cesc.

Salvadora

Making a decision partly based on emotion isn't necessarily a bad thing.

This is a football club, after all.

It's not a policy either.

FootballFan

wedward

Making a decision partly based on emotion isn't necessarily a bad thing.

This is a football club, after all.

It's not a policy either.

Just let Kos handle the transfer business. He knows.

"We'll need a goalkeeper, a right back, a midfielder and a striker [this summer]."

"It's important to have a minimum of these four players so that we'll be better able to challenge over the course of a whole season"

"We need to recruit a very, very good striker, because it's important for us for competition, Olivier needs that to become even better"

jtb

Banned
for me, I think the main thing is we improve the team. if we get the best player available rather than directly filling needs (ie. buying Cesc), I'm fine with that because we have a solid basis of a team but can definitely use any extra talent we can get. if we specifically fill all the needs we have with good but maybe not great players, that's fine too. but we have to do something.

omgkitty

Just let Kos handle the transfer business. He knows.

"We'll need a goalkeeper, a right back, a midfielder and a striker [this summer]."

"It's important to have a minimum of these four players so that we'll be better able to challenge over the course of a whole season"

"We need to recruit a very, very good striker, because it's important for us for competition, Olivier needs that to become even better"

Love this response on Twitter:

RickyGee ‏@GeezyPeas 10m

Wonder if Koscielny would urge Wenger to buy an un-capped 25 y/o LB come CB who one season apart had spent his entire career in Ligues 2 & 3

Good trailer that and release date a week after my birthday. Probably won't be able to play it for 5 months though if I get my internship sorted.
iBKjbtCGofnFt.png

But hey, by that time they probably made it even better than it was at launch.

Zabojnik

I must admit, I know absolutely nothing about that game.

Nobody does. All we know is that it's going to be fuck amazing. It has to be. I need it to be.

I can already see myself playing The Witcher 3 on my new 55" TV, connected to my new beastly PC. All I need now is for Sony to release proper DS4 PC drivers.

526052_originalrjlro.jpg

wedward

for me, I think the main thing is we improve the team. if we get the best player available rather than directly filling needs (ie. buying Cesc), I'm fine with that because we have a solid basis of a team but can definitely use any extra talent we can get. if we specifically fill all the needs we have with good but maybe not great players, that's fine too. but we have to do something.

That Orenstein tweet about a defensive mid has me worried. If Wenger thinks Arteta/Flamini/Jack is good enough than we are well and truly fucked.

It occurred to me last night while watching the movie Armageddon...I will never be able to sit on the beach and watch night launches of the space shuttle with my kids, like my dad and I used to do. That really pisses me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom