• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT23| Goal-Line Technology Saving Football In Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elchele

I just don't understand why with all of these CB's, they insist on just sticking Mustafi in there instead and not playing their RB and LB.

if it's working, why change it? At least having 4 CBs finally gave Germany some balance.
you already have enough quality in attack anyway

Razor554

Zubizarreta and president Bartomeu have met today with Xavi's agent. Xavi is likely to leave. Final meeting after World Cup. [tv3, rac1]
Petrescu (coach Al Arabi): "Xavi has signed a pre-contract with Al Arabi. I talked with him on the phone. He's a wonderful guy, very modest

Guess we will push hard for Koke now aswell, since Rakitic was Cesc replacement, not for Xavi.

Or we could start playing 4-2-3-1 under Lucho with an real striker:

ter Stegen

???- Pique- Marquinhos - Alba

Rakitic- Busquets

Messi - Iniesta - Neymar

Higuain

Avoiding the back-end of this, I can see the appeal. Henry when he came said he loved the fact that he could take public transport and for the most part go un-noticed, eat dinner relatively un-noticed. Plus NY has international appeal in general same with LA and Miami.

Oh yea and fat(Frank) checks.

I can see why you'd go the MLS kinda (not Villa, he has 2 years of La Liga standard left in him), but I genuinely don't understand why Xavi would choose the Middle East. Obviously there's the money, but that's about it as far as I can tell.

inky

What the fuck is with these players deciding 'right, I'm not good enough for a top team any more, time to semi-retire'?

Go to Newcastle or Man Utd or someone.

$$$ for when they finally retire. Xavi's won it all, I'm sure he doesn't care about those kinds of achievements anymore.

Slizz

I can see why you'd go the MLS kinda (not Villa, he has 2 years of La Liga standard left in him), but I genuinely don't understand why Xavi would choose the Middle East. Obviously there's the money, but that's about it as far as I can tell.

Yeah, I'd chose either J-League(guaranteed hero worship, profitable advertising/marketing opportunities) or A-League(Australian women, seems like it wouldn't be too bad of a place to live with a shit ton of money).

Rooney doing double-training sessions apparently. He can feel his iron grip on an England place faltering, as can everyone else. The train is in motion. People don't want him in the team, and he's not doing enough to slow the momentum, let alone reverse it. It's coming. Not against Uruguay. Maybe not against Costa Rica. But soon.

Slizz

Rooney doing double-training sessions apparently. He can feel his iron grip on an England place faltering, as can everyone else. The train is in motion. People don't want him in the team, and he's not doing enough to slow the momentum, let alone reverse it. It's coming. Not against Uruguay. Maybe not against Costa Rica. But soon.

He's trying to hurt himself so he can take advantage of all the all-you-can-eat Brazilian steakhouses.

He'll score against Uruguay.

:lol at Adnan joining the Belgian pile on

It looks like he's a ball boy joining in

He won't.

I can feel an avatar bet coming :p
I don't really care if he does or doesn't as some kind of redemption for him.

I just think he will - and that will be enough for all the question marks about his spot to dissipate, in the media at least.

Scum

He's starting to realise that he is longer needed. Everyone atound him don't need him.

Messi

What the fuck is with these players deciding 'right, I'm not good enough for a top team any more, time to semi-retire'?

Go to Newcastle or Man Utd or someone.

My problem is that Xavi could still play for a year or two with us in a reduced role. Puyol was forced into retirement by his knees. Xavi is taking his money and running.

I'm gonna bet on a fluky upset from Mexico, unlikely this time I think but whatever.

Ref won't allow it

I think Mexico could get something though, they were pretty good against Cameroon. Their defense wasn't tested much though, and didn't look too solid against the few tests they faced.

Croyles

Hasn't Mexico been pretty terrible the last year-ish? I know they were lucky to get into WC.

I used to always enjoy watching them at World Cups though.

Marc

Then he'll moan about getting tired.

Always something to cover the stench of failure.

Love how he turned the debate about why he should play elsewhere and it was the position holding him back, despite being played in his preferred position for two other world cups and doing feck all. Not to mention getting easy chances in the middle of the box and fluffing them, plus going out of position like 90% of the game anyway, And yet every pundit says he has to start, none of them have any balls or sense. Especially foreign players who never watch England, then ignore his horrible performance when they do bother to watch a game.

*sigh* England has this problem with every tournament, always a Beckham or someone taking up a first team place based on some imagined history of greatness. Scholes in 2004, instead of playing a DM and getting the best out of both Gerrard and Lampard we play a guy who has never been good for England out of position. Waste potential of two people at their height, although Lampard good into the team of the tournament we were still massively unbalanced.

*cough* I'll shut up now.

Scum

:lol at Adnan joining the Belgian pile on

It looks like he's a ball boy joining in

I don't really care if he does or doesn't as some kind of redemption for him.

I just think he will - and that will be enough for all the question marks about his spot to dissipate, in the media at least.

"...and that's what he can do! Great strike from a great player! Answered all his ctitics with an absolute beauty!"

"Yeah. That's what he capable off. Something out of nothing."

"Great response to all those who criticised him. Great play to position himself..."

'Rooney sent off as England lose to Costa Rica.'

A study of the area from Fulham Broadway town centre to Stamford Bridge and beyond has been commissioned by Chelsea Football Club's owner Roman Abramovich.

This study will review the potential for improvements to publicly-owned areas along Fulham Road and the area around the football ground, including the possibility of decking over the railway lines to the east and north of the ground. This could create landscaped public walkways and cycleways, while also reducing pedestrian traffic on Fulham Road and nearby streets on matchdays.

The study will also assess the feasibility of an expansion of the stadium within the existing historic site boundaries, potentially to enlarge its capacity, enhance its facilities and improve the movement of people and vehicles on match and non-matchdays.

As a first step, a consultation will take place with local stakeholders, including community and residents' groups, for opinions on the existing conditions in the area.

The consultation will not concern itself with any design or details of a redevelopment on the stadium site. Instead it will ask about the surrounding publicly-owned areas and in particular the civic infrastructure necessary to ensure a successful and feasible redevelopment.

We will keep our supporters informed as the study progresses.

Roman getting it done

Love how he turned the debate about why he should play elsewhere and it was the position holding him back, despite being played in his preferred position for two other world cups and doing feck all. Not to mention getting easy chances in the middle of the box and fluffing them, plus going out of position like 90% of the game anyway, And yet every pundit says he has to start, none of them have any balls or sense. Especially foreign players who never watch England, then ignore his horrible performance when they do bother to watch a game.

*sigh* England has this problem with every tournament, always a Beckham or someone taking up a first team place based on some imagined history of greatness. Scholes in 2004, instead of playing a DM and getting the best out of both Gerrard and Lampard we play a guy who has never been good for England out of position. Waste potential of two people at their height, although Lampard good into the team of the tournament we were still massively unbalanced.

'You can't criticise his workrate'

Immortal words. The written press are pretty down on Rooney I think, television media are still propogating his false reputation though. It's odd. Even if you think he should keep his place (in whatever position), some people in the media act like it's unaccaptable to even ask the question of his worthiness in the team

Derp1na

Banned

Why always United players doe.

Becks was one of England's best players and Scholes should have played ahead of Lampard.

Razor554

Damn. The golden era of Barca truly is over.

Enjoy the memories.

Arsenal fans sure would know how to enjoy sweet memories. Its not like Barca suddenly becomes new Arsenal and not win anything the next 10 years

Let´s say Xavi, Puyol, Pinto, Valdes, Cesc, Song are leavers this summer and replacements would be Koke(Xavi), Marquinhos(Puyol), Bravo(MUCH better 2nd keeper than Pinto), Ter Stegen(Valdes), Rakitic(Cesc), also move Mascherano to midfield after we sell Song and sign second CB.

Replacements would be younger and still hungry to win it all. It will do good for the team and Spain NT should do the same thing asap.

wedward

Arsenal fans sure would know how to enjoy sweet memories. Its not like Barca suddenly becomes new Arsenal and not win anything the next 10 years

Let´s say Xavi, Puyol, Pinto, Valdes, Cesc, Song are leavers this summer and replacements would be Koke(Xavi), Marquinhos(Puyol), Bravo(MUCH better 2nd keeper than Pinto), Ter Stegen(Valdes), Rakitic(Cesc), also move Mascherano to midfield after we sell Song and sign second CB.

Replacements would be younger and still hungry to win it all. It will do good for the team and Spain NT should do the same thing asap.

You are in a two team league and you gouge the rest of the teams so I am sure you will be fine.

The golden era is over.

Meier

What's the point of being able to grow a beard if you're a 4 eyes.

Meier pls, teach me.

Just get some stylish ("hipster" if you listen to the internet) glasses to match and you're good. I think my brother's husband is the only guy in England he knows without a beard nowadays. There's a photo from their wedding reception with him and five other bearded dudes and another female friend.

Clegg

Irish Bros:

Eamon Dunphy just swore three times on air in rapid succession. Didn't know they were on air. Now looks dog sick.

Barzul

ArseGAF. Dean AKA AFCAMPDEN says we've signed a wide forward barring his signature on twitter. Who do you think it could be?

Also Goal have a Balotelli to Arsenal exclusive saying Wenger is meeting with Raiola Saturday. Only 2 guys have been on the money this summer so far, DiMarzio and Ornstein, but a guy can hope.

Marc

'You can't criticise his workrate'

Immortal words. The written press are pretty down on Rooney I think, television media are still propogating his false reputation though. It's odd. Even if you think he should keep his place (in whatever position), some people in the media act like it's unaccaptable to even ask the question of his worthiness in the team

Yeah, I think the written press are more like echo chambers for the public. The public have clearly had the spell broken. I am not sure they believe it themselves.

Why always United players doe.

Becks was one of England's best players and Scholes should have played ahead of Lampard.

No, he wasn't.

In what world was Beckham one of England's best players? Pls explain.

Why should Scholes play ahead, what had he done? Again, reputation over actual substance. Lampard was our joint top scorer and was one of the best midfielders in the tournament. Lampard isn't an England legend by any stretch and yet he has scored in big games for us, qualified us, and scored against all the big teams we have played. Lampard is one goal away from Finney, Lofthouse and Shearer although he won't get it that is a helluva lot more than Scholes. The guy who chose his club over his country.

Plasma

Banned
Come on Neymar man up.

ArseGAF. Dean AKA AFCAMPDEN says we've signed a wide forward barring his signature on twitter. Who do you think it could be?

Also Goal have a Balotelli to Arsenal exclusive saying Wenger is meeting with Raiola Saturday. Only 2 guys have been on the money this summer so far, DiMarzio and Ornstein, but a guy can hope.

CLEVGOD!

wedward

Vela.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom