• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT23| Goal-Line Technology Saving Football In Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
What now Arsenal?

you still don't want him? :p
BqJ-Y1gCUAAYp3F.jpg

BqJ-afwCAAAMb8n.jpg

PLEASE tell me there's a gif of this?

3Sixty

Southampton are in talks to land Ronald Koeman and his brother Erwin as their new managerial duo.

Former Dutch playing legend Ronald has been negotiating with Saints for the past fortnight – as first revealed in Sunday Mirror Sport – and he has told St Mary’s chiefs that he wants to employ his elder brother as his No.2.

Yet Koeman also has an offer from Turkish giants Galatasaray, who parted company with Roberto Mancini as their manager this week, a development which has cranked up the pressure on Saints to land their No.1 choice to succeed Mauricio Pochettino.

Both Koeman brothers quit their managerial jobs in the Dutch top flight last month, with Ronald leaving Feyenoord and Erwin departing RKC Waalwijk.

Should they link up at St Mary’s, it will be the first time a Premier League manager has appointed his brother as his No.2 – although Iain Dowie’s brother Bob was director of football when he was in charge at Crystal Palace. The Koemans have not worked together in management before, but, before their father’s death last year, both men told their dad that they intended to join forces.

And Ronald intends to bring Feyenoord’s Italian striker Graziano Pelle with him to ­Southampton, to succeed target man Rickie Lambert, following his switch to Liverpool.

The 6ft 4in Pelle has scored 50 league goals in the last two seasons and is rated at £10m by Feyenoord.

-----------

No one can handle all dem Koemans.

Nah, Coleman.

He would cost at least £20m though, and would need to kick up a fuss too. Not sure it's worth the hassle.

That Daryl Janmaat dude looked pretty great against Spain. 6'1", strong, tireless, good on the ball, defended well. I wouldn't say no off the back of that showing.

And what did Arsenal-GAF think of Balotelli under Prandelli? That was easily one of his most professional performances (and he's on 11 goals in 17 competitive games now). Like, the kid is a doughnut, but his managers have been: Mourinho, the biggest egotistical cunt in the sport with no clue how to develop talent; Mancini, who is half insane; and Allegri, who barely commands any sort of respect. He has completely bought into Prandelli though, changing his style (he always comes too deep and moves into positions he doesn't need to be in for Milan) for the team and having it pay off. Could Wenger do the same for him?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
guys

BqKH6SjIgAAUInq.jpg:large

guys

And what did Arsenal-GAF think of Balotelli under Prandelli? That was easily one of his most professional performances (and he's on 11 goals in 17 competitive games now). Like, the kid is a doughnut, but his managers have been: Mourinho, the biggest egotistical cunt in the sport with no clue how to develop talent; Mancini, who is half insane; and Allegri, who barely commands any sort of respect. He has completely bought into Prandelli though, changing his style (he always comes too deep and moves into positions he doesn't need to be in for Milan) for the team and having it pay off. Could Wenger do the same for him?
I'm not sure if it's all about the manager. Prandelli is a father figure to him, but I think the Azzurri shirt just means a lot to him. He gets visibly emotional when he plays for Italy.

dc89

Rio Ferdinand @rioferdy5 ·
What happened to running it off??? The magic spray & sponge??? Our Physio Gary Lewin has to man up!!

:/

LTWheels

Disappointed about last night, but then I remember that I'm also Italian. A two team cunt.

Wish we were in different groups though.

This. A million times this.

Bonucci is a nightmare in a back four but he's still better than fucking Paletta. Hell, bring back Nesta I'm sure he's still fit from playing in Canada.
I genuinely wanted to see Prandelli put Bonucci instead of Paletta during the second half. Every time England was around him he clearly didn't know what to do with his life.

Also, I was thinking about buying a Marchisio shirt (the Italy one. right before he scored. If I can find one for less than 50€ I'll bite.
Balo and Honda. Happy for our Milan-GAF bros, they needed this. Next up: De Sciglio. Hopefully.
Yes Zabo <3 It's all part of our masterplan: don't play at all during all year so every player gets to do a fantastic WC. Didn't work that well with Abate and Montolivo though.
Don't it will just hurt them even more when all three leave this transfer window, and they end up signing Paletta
Stop being realistic.
Indeed.

But it's bitter sweet, because now they know the problem lies in their team..
I think we've purged whatever problem we had in the past two years. Still a bunch of transfers to do and then we'll be able to think about a 4th place.
We're not selling Super Mario.
Not today, no. Yesterday goal made him worth 2-3m more, if he keeps up with it we'll have some more offers at the end of the WC and if he actually put his head in the right place Pippo and Galliani might decide to keep him, otherwise he'll leave before our Raduno starts in July.
he was a cunt in Italy too, there's no denying that. But less so with Milan, I don't think he did anything wrong with them so far?
A couple of brawls here and there at some club and that's it. Nothing like his City days.

Peco

Yeah, Mario is an eccentric guy but you gotta admire his devotion to the NT. He's like a totally different person when he plays for Italy. :lol

Disappointed about last night, but then I remember that I'm also Italian. A two team cunt.

Wish we were in different groups though.

could bwe worse, could have been a ENG VS Italy Final

nah, we wont get to any final until a manager gets the balls to kick Rooney out of the squad

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Also, I was thinking about buying a Marchisio shirt (the Italy one. right before he scored. If I can find one for less than 50€ I'll bite.
YES LUCIFER!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it's a great looking shirt (the best in decades?) so I don't blame you.
I think we've purged whatever problem we had in the past two years. Still a bunch of transfers to do and then we'll be able to think about a 4th place.
Hmm I guess you're right. And Seedorf did prove that even with your old squad, targeting a CL spot is possible.

LTWheels

could bwe worse, could have been a ENG VS Italy Final

nah, we wont get to any final until a manager gets the balls to kick Rooney out of the squad

Sturridge, Lambert or even Welbeck would have berried that great chance that he had. He's done internationally in my eyes. Should be no more than a sub.

I hope Ox is fit to play the next game. Play him out left instead of Rooney. If not I would rather see Milner there. Baines has shown himself to be defensively weak so needs help.

I was expecting Johnson to be our big defensive weakness, not Baines.

I think that our attack in the second half seemed to fall a part when Sterling was pushed out wide. I also think that taking if Henderson instead of Gerrard was a mistake.

YES LUCIFER!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it's a great looking shirt (the best in decades?) so I don't blame you.
I still think the best one in a long time was the 2006 one. The armpits were already sweaty when they put it on, it was beautiful! But yeah, I love this one, definitely better than the one we had with the brown shorts.

Hmm I guess you're right. And Seedorf did prove that even with your old squad, targeting a CL spot is possible.
CL spot? Nah, unless Napoli stops playing for like six months like we did last two season. EL is much more realistic, with this team. A CL spot would be plausible if we had a better keeper, a proper regista and if Balo plays like he did last night.

Salazar

Decent way to bait someone into getting themselves a red at the WC, trapping the ball on the ground like that. Adrenaline is just gonna make them kick you.

Peco

CL spot? Nah, unless Napoli stops playing for like six months like we did last two season. EL is much more realistic, with this team. A CL spot would be plausible if we had an experienced coach, a better keeper, a proper regista and if Balo plays like he did last night.

ftfy

wedward

Sterling was dogshit.

Aaron Lennon could have done the exact same thing. Except given the ball away less.

Lallana given 10 mins at the end. In a game where Roy wanted to retain possession, brilliant.

Jesus. Sterling was England's best player.

Lallana did absolutely nothing.

Marc

So in the cold light of day, how are we rating the England players?

Hart - 5 - Did nothing right, positioning was shit, kicking was shit, command of the box non-existent, got away with a lot and this is when the goalkeeper was barely needed.
Johnson - 5 - Apart from some decent ball retention and providing himself as a passing option, did very poor going forward and poor defensively. Chose the wrong options too often to the detriment of the team.
Cahill - 6 - Did well in parts.
Jagielka - 6 - Did ok in parts too, great saving header from Joe Hart being a bellend.
Baines - 6 - Yeah, he was exposed but I don't think that is his fault. He was often covering two players and over a space of around 40x20 yards... that is huge. Then expected to join the attacks which he did well at times, had a good freekick. Should maybe have the balls to go over to Rooney and tell him to work.
Gerrard - 5 - Poor, tried hollywood balls far too often which slows down the play. Considering we have pacey players, that defeats the bloody point. Also has to hit 10 yard passes at 100 mph and expect every player to control it. Defensively might as well not of been there.
Henderson - 5.5 - Slightly better than Gerrard, mostly because he ran more, otherwise he did very little to fill the gaps, did nothing in attack and let Pirlo have the ball for fun. Not actually sure what his role was.
Welbeck - 6 - Requires 3 touches and a minute to work out what to do, sometimes did some good stuff but end product as usual is gash. Won the ball back well but then used it very poorly. Frustrating player when he has all the tools to be so much more.
Sterling - 8 - Played beyond his years, used the ball well, played for the team, didn't moan about his position like some and generally a real threat.
Rooney - 3 - The 3 is for a single cross, apart from that it was woeful. Did nothing right, an absolutely dumb as bricks player. Never saw danger, never tracked back leaving Baines on his own, just frittered about. Watching others run to chase down players and then this guy stroll around is a complete piss take. Wasting a spot, should be given to almost anyone else.
Sturridge - 8 - Great for the goal but his overall play was really positive, trying to beat people, making things happen. 100% more world cup goals than Rooney.

Would give Barkley as 7, Lallana a 6, Wilshere didn't do much but it is hard to impact a game as a sub from CM.

Woy - 6 - Pretty much as expected lineup and played out how I thought, we needed players who kept the ball better and had better passing. I think if we started Wilshere, Barkley and Lallana in place of Henderson/Gerrard, Welbeck and Rooney then we would have won the game.

Another tournament and people are hyping balotelli again. Overrated as fuck.

He scored again at a world cup, that is more than some can manage with a lot easier chances. All the top players are scoring, don't like him but Mario has to be considered a top player who under-performs for clubs because he is such a knob.

3Sixty

Jesus. Sterling was England's best player.

Lallana did absolutely nothing.

May have been slightly harsh on Sterling in my drunken stupor but Welbeck was better imo.

Don't know what you want Lallana to do when given 9 mins at the end of a game.

On Costa: "He's a player I'd love to have in my team. I asked the club to sign him, and I have total confidence we'll agree a deal and finally sign him."
nzmp8vD.png

On Courtois: "There is no story. After the World Cup, Courtois will return directly to Stamford Bridge."
nzmp8vD.png

On Cesc: "Cesc is a good player who brings a new dimension to our squad. He's different to Matic, Ramires, and Oscar. With him we'll have a more complete midfield. When buying Cesc, I was looking for a certain type of central midfielder, and with him, I'll have it. "
nzmp8vD.png

On Ramires: "He stays at Chelsea, he's not for sale."
mLjyyKE.png

wedward

May have been slightly harsh on Sterling in my drunken stupor but Welbeck was better imo.

Don't know what you want Lallana to do when given 9 mins at the end of a game.

Fair enough. I didn't expect Barkley, Wilshere or Lallana to do anything. Everyone was exhausted at that point. 0 movement.

I would love to see Gerrard and Rooney dropped.

-------Sturridge
Lallana Barkley Sterling
------Wilshere
----------Henderson

On Costa: "He's a player I'd love to have in my team. I asked the club to sign him, and I have total confidence we'll agree a deal and finally sign him."
nzmp8vD.png

On Courtois: "There is no story. After the World Cup, Courtois will return directly to Stamford Bridge."
nzmp8vD.png

On Cesc: "Cesc is a good player who brings a new dimension to our squad. He's different to Matic, Ramires, and Oscar. With him we'll have a more complete midfield. When buying Cesc, I was looking for a certain type of central midfielder, and with him, I'll have it. "
nzmp8vD.png

On Ramires: "He stays at Chelsea, he's not for sale."
mLjyyKE.png

A cunt talking about cunts acting like a cunts.

Wilbur

Banned
So in the cold light of day, how are we rating the England players?

Hart - 5
Johnson - 4
Cahill - 5
Jagielka - 6
Baines - 3
Welbeck - 7
Henderson - 7
Gerrard - 5
Rooney - 3
Sterling - 8
Sturridge - 8

Darmian, Pirlo and Candreva the stand outs for Italy.

LTWheels

Since we are playing two fullbacks that can't defend, doesn't is make more sense to play 4-3-3? Just let them attack, and have Gerrard drop back between the centre backs. Also gives us an additional CM to help cover out wide when we are defending.

A cunt talking about cunts acting like a cunts.

Oh don't be so angry, you will get Aurier and I bet there will plenty of hot ligue 2 talent for you to buy.

Since we are playing two fullbacks that can't defend, doesn't is make more sense to play 4-3-3? Just let them attack, and have Gerrard drop back between the centre backs. Also gives us an additional CM to help cover out wide when we are defending.

Can Johnson even attack though? He always looks so clueless up there these days, especially that Chelsea match he seemed to cut in and run directly into Cole every single time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom