• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT23| Goal-Line Technology Saving Football In Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Don't think Jose would be so open about Costa if it wasn't happening. He'll shine in that side. Fuck Spain.

Any news on Luis wooden??

Since we are playing two fullbacks that can't defend, doesn't is make more sense to play 4-3-3? Just let them attack, and have Gerrard drop back between the centre backs. Also gives us an additional CM to help cover out wide when we are defending.

It would, but we won't. It honestly annoys me, all I want to do is talk about hypothetical solutions to our problems but it's fruitless because we won't see any of it happen
ibajutDAjuSj96.png

Marc

Fair enough. I didn't expect Barkley, Wilshere or Lallana to do anything. Everyone was exhausted at that point. 0 movement.

I would love to see Gerrard and Rooney dropped.

-------Sturridge
Lallana Barkley Sterling
------Wilshere
----------Henderson

Yeah, that's probably the way I would go at this point. Much better balance to it and the front 4 are all smart players on and off the ball so can interchange a lot better and with more fluidity.

No way is it happening though, "Rooney played well" after all. Polls on Rooney's position on the BBC and places like MEN saying to drop Rooney though, so the general fans have all caught up.

Wilbs - Who would you play for the next game then? Drop Gerrard and Rooney as well I take it from those ratings?

I would understand Baines getting dropped, I would think it is very harsh considering the help he got but if Shaw as a younger player can cover that amount of space on his own better then yeah makes sense.

Wilbur

Banned
Gerrard isn't a good enough DM and doesn't have the legs to pull himself out wide to cover.

That's why you gots to surround him with legs innit. Pirlo didn't move faster than a sloth at any point last night and still came over us. If Barkley learnt a bit more positional discipline, having him aside Henderson and Gerrard in the middle could be fruitful.

I quite liked the fluidity of our attack last night. Loads of times, Sturridge dropped deep or came out wide and Welbz or Sterling moved up front. Was good shit. Now just time to drop that fat load and bring in Ox. We will win the WORLD

Germany is going to play with 4 CBs....

Worked for Italy

will not work for belgium

or germany

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah, that's probably the way I would go at this point. Much better balance to it and the front 4 are all smart players on and off the ball so can interchange a lot better and with more fluidity.

No way is it happening though, "Rooney played well" after all. Polls on Rooney's position on the BBC and places like MEN saying to drop Rooney though, so the general fans have all caught up.

Wilbs - Who would you play for the next game then? Drop Gerrard and Rooney as well I take it from those ratings?

I would understand Baines getting dropped, I would think it is very harsh considering the help he got but if Shaw as a younger player can cover that amount of space on his own better then yeah makes sense.

Would definitely give Shaw a chance. Of course the solution would be go back in time and bring Cole (and Barry while you're at it, fuck Lampard).

With Gerrard, I'm not convinced at all he works so deep, but then our other options are Wilshere and Barkley, neither of who I think can do that right now either. So it's kinda selection by default.

Yes, drop Rooney. Bring in Lallana or Ox.

3Sixty

Sterling wasn't that good. He fucked up 5 crosses in last 15 minutes.

He did kill alot of moves towards the end of the game which stuck in my mind.

Which perhaps led to my rage last night.

That's why you gots to surround him with legs innit. Pirlo didn't move faster than a sloth at any point last night and still came over us. If Barkley learnt a bit more positional discipline, having him aside Henderson and Gerrard in the middle could be fruitful.
Agree - but we don't have anyone else to do it. Bit of a problem. But yeah all the better teams will just pass it around him.

Him and Henderson don't work in a two. They function much better in a three man midfield.

Gareth Barry.

Just throwing it out there lads.

Wilbur

Banned
Pirlo made more touches than anyone last night (117)

Roy, explain yourself.

He's a god in human form. There's only so much you can take before you want to just stand and admire his beard and his hair and his calmness and his passes and his walking and his shaft and his balls and his ass and his

Boateng RB :lol
Höwedes LB :loooooool

I'm gonna cry

And Lahm in a position that Schweinsteiger and Kroos can play? Low lol

Have a feeling Portugal will win.

Wilbur

Banned
He did kill alot of moves towards the end of the game which stuck in my mind.

Which perhaps led to my rage last night.

Gareth Barry.

Just throwing it out there lads.

Alweady mentioned it m8. Would have taken him over Lampard for sure. Even considering how shit Carrick's been this year I would have taken him over Lampard.

Cattermole honestly would have been a decent shout. When is Jack Cork gonna get called up?

3Sixty

Alweady mentioned it m8. Would have taken him over Lampard for sure. Even considering how shit Carrick's been this year I would have taken
him over Lampard.

Cattermole honestly would have been a decent shout. When is Jack Cork gonna get called up?

Cattermole/Cork really could have done the job. You know how much I rate Cork.

Clegg

Woodward is an incredible specimen.

Spends months finalising a deal, bids £27m yet he still can't force a deal across the line.

3Sixty

Spends months finalising a deal, bids £27m yet he still can't force a deal across the line.

Think you guys might move on.

Can't see anyone else coming in and paying £30m+ either.

Chelsea might have a go next year.

bjaelke

The Aurier guy looks promising. Excited to see what he can do in the PL.
Would definitely give Shaw a chance.
Reckon Shaw need a season at a higher level (United) before he's ready. Would benefit immensely from having better team mates around him. England definitely have to sort out their full backs. Biggest issue judging by the match last night.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Why do people defend Rooney with his workrate, the first thing anyone ever says about him is "You cant ignore his workrate", sure you can, when his workrate involves leaving his position unguarded, doing nothing with the ball when he has it and missing key shots in the game, sure we can ignore it. James Milners work rate is more than anyone on the pitch, he is on the subs bench and should stay there.

Clegg

Think you guys might move on.

Can't see anyone else coming in and paying £30m+ either.

Chelsea might have a go next year.
I actually think we'll get Shaw in the end. Player wants to come and we're desperate to sign him. Think we'd go a bit higher if we have to.

Wilbur

Banned
The Aurier guy looks promising. Excited to see what he can do in the PL.

Reckon Shaw need a season at a higher level (United) before he's ready. Would benefit immensely from having better team mates around him. England definitely have to sort out their full backs. Biggest issue judging by the match last night.

Aurier looked well dodgy defensively at times, but crosses were Jenkinson standard.

Kinda agreed on Shaw, but considering how Baines played last night I would probably play him.

Why do people defend Rooney with his workrate, the first thing anyone ever says about him is "You cant ignore his workrate", sure you can, when his workrate involves leaving his position unguarded, doing nothing with the ball when he has it and missing key shots in the game, sure we can ignore it. James Milners work rate is more than anyone on the pitch, he is on the subs bench and should stay there.

Running around aimlessly isn't work rate, because he's not doing any fucking work.

I don't understand how so many people ignore the problems with Rooney, I really don't. He's proven himself absolutely capable of playing well on the left before with United, so for his game to regress so much and for the coach of our national side continuing to be so unwilling to change anything... it's so frustrating.

I wouldn't really trust too much of what Northcroft has to say.

He was very close to Moyes and his piece sounds very much like an attempt to criticise Woodward and focus blame on him with all transfer dealings going wrong with Moyes sacking.

Obviously he could be right and we should have tied the deal up long ago - but the more reliable journalists still say it's going to happen.

3Sixty

Also Baines/Shaw. As I said in the run up to the WC i don't really see what he offers over Shaw. Decent corners? Not last night.

Shaw better defensively. (Although will still struggle if left 2on1 all night). Better athlete.

Clegg

I wouldn't really trust too much of what Northcroft has to say.

He was very close to Moyes and his piece sounds very much like an attempt to criticise Woodward and focus blame on him with all transfer dealings going wrong with Moyes sacking.

Obviously he could be right and we should have tied the deal up long ago - but the more reliable journalists still say it's going to happen.
Hopefully that's the case. Ducker and Ogden still seem convinced that it'll happen.

My pre-tournament confidence is building. This was always going to be the toughest game due to the climate conditions and we came through well.

I think at the rest of the tournament we will see a team with more creativity than the industrious side of Marchisio and Candreva. I would expect Fantantonio/Insigne/Cerci to come into the squad for the next game. Despite the lack of creativity we still scored two and hit the woodwork twice and a goal line clearance.

Paletta was a big worry at the back and De Sciglio back for the next game will be huge, and a proper test of how we defend. I understand the reason for not pressing hard in this game, but it cost us the goal when Pirlo made no effort to get the ball against Sterling.

We played a risky game not playing at full intensity, but everyone finished the game looking well and you could see that the heat had taken its toll on England through cramps and a loss in concentration when it came to passing. Full marks go to the coaching staff for their pre-tournament training, and the players for their in game discipline.

I expect a much better performance against Costa Rica with much more attacking flair. Hopefully we seal qualification against Costa Rica and Uruguay-England ends a draw, so we can really have some fun in our last game.

Wilbur

Banned
Not sure about playing Shaw. Baines wasn't great last night but does he really deserve to be dropped after that? Would be harsh.

It's not just about being exposed defensively (which was Rooney's fault as much as his own); his corners were shit, he didn't put in any dangerous crosses. I wouldn't complain if he stayed in the team, but I wouldn't complain if he was dropped either. Was far below what he was capable of going forward, especially considering how narrow Italy were.

3Sixty

Not sure if Baines deserves to be dropped off the back of his Italy performance alone but lets be honest, he didn't have the best season either.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
@LiverpoolGAF

De Rossi fanboy alert

De Rossi has played alongside and against some legends, but admits Steven Gerrard is one of his favourites.

“It is never normal for me to play against Gerrard. It always gets me emotional, I won’t deny it. Of course, on the field you’ve got to get stuck in there, but it is always a pleasure and an honour. He’s also a very nice guy, always very approachable.

“I cheered on Liverpool until the end, but they lost the Premier League title in an incredible way. Players like Gerrard, Andrea Pirlo, Frank Lampard, Xavi or Iniesta never go past the apex of their careers.”

bjaelke

"lost the Premier League title in an incredible way"

:(

"It was pretty awful to see England struggle especially Sterling"

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom