• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT23| Goal-Line Technology Saving Football In Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabojnik

So who else is after Sanchez? Juve have allegedly agreed terms with the player and are offering 20M€. Barca want 25M€. Sounds like the perfect scenario for any random club to cough up 30M€ or so and bag the player. Shouldn't be a problem for, well, anybody that isn't us really.

bjaelke

So who else is after Sanchez? Juve have allegedly agreed terms with the player and are offering 20M€. Barca want 25M€. Sounds like the perfect scenario for any random club to cough up 30M€ or so and bag the player. Shouldn't be a problem for, well, anybody that isn't us really.
we've been linked with him

http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/14/liver...-chile-world-cup-star-alexis-sanchez-4761936/
quoted for a new page

Must be hard dealing with a club that actually wants cash instead of simply accepting some of your unwanted scraps in exchange.

Facism

South Warwickshire police trolling: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-27858505

_75540305_nevillesix.png

the councils are already on it by turning out street lighting off after 12am. This is a first world country.

jtb

Banned
would be incredibly stupid to sell Vermaelen. can only reinforce so much in one summer... no point in creating even more needs, even if we do miss out on 10m or so (which would be a steal considering how godawful he is)

valeo

would be incredibly stupid to sell Vermaelen. can only reinforce so much in one summer... no point in creating even more needs, even if we do miss out on 10m or so (which would be a steal considering how godawful he is)

He is far from 'awful' - that is ridiculously reductive; he was one of our best players for a while there - then he got injured and kos/merte stepped in.. He hasn't struck up the same sort of partnership that Merte and Kos have, is all. Would be piss poor to lose him to a rival - we've already given up Sagna and Cesc.

jtb

Banned
he's a defensive liability and always has been. has zero positional discipline. I've lost track of the number of times his reckless rampaging forward has directly led to conceding a goal. granted—is some of that down to incompetent coaching? probably. though, it's worth noting that he continued doing that shit even after Bould was brought in (and was dropped because of it) so.... meh.

he scored a good number of goals back when he first arrived but he's always been very reckless with and without the ball; the goals just helped overshadow/mitigate the impact of his poor defending

fuenf

Guten Tag footballGAF.

Germany, let's do this. :) Despite my comments, I firmly believe in this team and by extension Löw. It's time to win this fucking thing.

Facism

bout to get on the phone treadmill for a GP appointment. Wish me luck. If this ear infection carries on i might just end myself.

valeo

he's a defensive liability and always has been. has zero positional discipline. I've lost track of the number of times his reckless rampaging forward has directly led to conceding a goal. granted—is some of that down to incompetent coaching? probably. though, it's worth noting that he continued doing that shit even after Bould was brought in (and was dropped because of it) so.... meh.

he scored a good number of goals back when he first arrived but he's always been very reckless with and without the ball; the goals just helped overshadow/mitigate the impact of his poor defending

Think he did well this season when he slotted in for Kos and Merte for a while there when they were having rotating injury problems..

Think he's learned a bit and would do very well under LvG. Do not want him to go.

Izaguirre is the biggest cunt at a World Cup featuring Suarez and Costa

I'd be ashamed to have that Honduras team representing my country, no matter how small and unfavoured. People mention Stoke, but they used to try and muscle teams off the park, which occasionally led to overzealous challenges. Honduras go out with the express aim of being thugs. Managers should be sacked for encouraging their team to play like that, no matter how acceptable their results.

Football Ramble is a hundred times better when Pete Donaldson isn't on it, and E3 Bombcasts aren't worth listening to. The same will go for the normal Bombcasts as well from now on, I fear

Gonna adjust my holiday by a week so I can get a week off on Destiny's release

fuenf

I love your confidence but our journey will end very soon: (
#TeamSkeptiker

I don't think thing any team that has played so far has shown anything Germany couldnt deal with (well, maybe Arjen but that's another story). Ironically we might be playing the 2nd best team at the World Cup today already. That's why, while I expect Germany to win I wouldnt be too worried if the drew or lose.

It's shocking really how undisciplined most other teams were tactically. Some of the matches looked like the players were playing for the first time together. The team that gets tactics & spacing down the best will most likely win it all. And with the Bayern / Dortmund set-up I just fancy our chances to be that team.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Imagine Vermaelen and Jones as a CB pairing. United would never win a game.

I don't think thing any team that has played so far has shown anything Germany couldnt deal with (well, maybe Arjen but that's another story). Ironically we might be playing the 2nd best team at the World Cup today already. That's why, while I expect Germany to win I wouldnt be too worried if the drew or lose.

It's shocking really how undisciplined most other teams were tactically. Some of the matches looked like the players were playing for the first time together. The team that gets tactics & spacing down the best will most likely win it all. And with the Bayern / Dortmund set-up I just fancy our chances to be that team.

Portugal won't be coming close to showing that they're the second best team at the tournament. Because they're not.

pappe

I really want to see this list of targets that had Hummels as well as Vermaelan. Even Saying those 2 players in the same breath is an insult to Hummels.

elseanio

Anyone else something from The Sun through the post?

It says "this is our England" on it. I'm just going to assume it's racist propaganda

Wrap it in a piece of paper, send it to the following with no stamp:

Customer Services,
News Corp UK and Ireland Limited
3 Thomas More Square,
London E98 1RL

Messi

I really want to see this list of targets that had Hummels as well as Vermaelan. Even Saying those 2 players in the same breath is an insult to Hummels.

Maybe it was a sliding list.

Bit worried about Barca going quiet on the transfer front. We need to get business done in this window. We might also lose Xavi to Qatar.

The paper who first reported the Verma thing was Belgian newspaper HLH on Sunday. They say the player has agreed to join United but the clubs haven't agreed a fee. They say LvG worked with Verma at Ajax and wants him at United.

Lightning

Banned
If Arsenal strengthen another top 7 club again.... Jesus fuck.

Where are we going to find premier league experienced Vermaelen replacement from? Not the best defender but can do a job and fill in at left back. Damn it Wenger, show some backbone and tell Vermaelen he's staying and united to fuck off.

If Arsenal strengthen another top 7 club again.... Jesus fuck.

Where are we going to find premier league experienced Vermaelen replacement from? Not the best defender but can do a job and fill in at left back. Damn it Wenger, show some backbone and tell Vermaelen he's staying and united to fuck off.

Vermaelen to Man Utd, Agger to Arsenal, Lovren to Liverpool, Hangelaand to Southampton

Gambit

It's absurd to see that we live in a world where Schweini and Grosskreutz are actual mates

Truer words have never been spoken.

My expectations have been through a rollercoaster ride. Löw is a hack. Everything leading up to the tournamen has basically gone as badly as it could with injuries, car accidents and pissing contests in hotel lobbies. Yet, despite all odds, my confidence has rebounded and I can now see Germany doing well. Why? I don't know!

Maybe because the other teams show so many faults of their own. If Germany can keep their composure/discipline, they might just do it.

Today's game, however, won't answer the question either way.

Lahm in midfield is prety damn certain by now, and I think Kroos will play as well. Seems Poldi will replace Özil, though I'd prefer Schürrle or Götze.

pappe

Reckon he knows what he's doing.
If he is being brought in as a back up LB i dont have any problems but if LVG is planning to use him a CB i am very concerned. He can easily get one of the Netherlands defenders playing at the world cup at the same price.

Gambit

Uh oh. FIFA are investigating
England's
2018 World Cup bid :(

I think Blatter is doing everything he can to save his skin atm. that's why he is trying to turn the tables on all the European nations so he can say "see, they are all corrupt and went after poor, innocent me". Hence Beckenbauer and now this. (Irrespective of the fact that I do believe Beckenbauer and other members WERE indeed all paid off)

Jack cw

Fabregas playing for Mourinho is a real mind fuck.
Whatever it is, Mourinho is up for a killer squad. In Barca he played on the wrong position and he will fit perfectly in Chelskis midfield.

I want so see Germany perform first, because this tactical carelessness we have witnessed so far is because of the climate and we are also vulnerable to this. I wonder if we really ditch that possession bullshit and do it like Holland with good old counters just like we did in 2010. Hummels said that Germany is going to play like Dortmund, which gives me a bit of hope.
It's absurd to see that we live in a world where Schweini and Grosskreutz are actual mates
#benchbrothers

I think Blatter is doing everything he can to save his skin atm. that's why he is trying to turn the tables on all the European nations so he can say "see, they are all corrupt and went after poor, innocent me". Hence Beckenbauer and now this. (Irrespective of the fact that I do believe Beckenbauer and other members WERE indeed all paid off)

If we paid for votes, we'd better have demanded refunds from those cunts

Selling your vote is fair enough, but lying to the team who bought it and voting for a higher bidder without warning is disgraceful

fuenf

I want so see Germany perform first, because this tactical carelessness we have witnessed so far is because of the climate and we are also vulnerable to this. I wonder if we really ditch that possession bullshit and do it like Holland with good old counters just like we did in 2010. Hummels said that Germany is going to play like Dortmund, which gives me a bit of hope.

Hummels statement didnt make much sense. They are most likely going to play like Pep's Bayern because they'll want to control the ball and not run after it. Dortmund's playstyle would be suicidal given that climate and Merte, Höwedes, Kroos, Schweini, Klose, Özil arent suited for it.

Best case scenario: Pep's (good) Bayern. Lots of possession, creativity and sheer dominance.

Realistic case: Heynckes Bayern, lots of possession but with players falling back deep on defense and lightning fast counter-attacks.

Worst: Case LVG / Pep's (bad) Bayern. Lots of possession, no creativity, no goals or chances and a very fragile defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom