• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT25| Louis evangaalism strictly prohibited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

Nuneaton vs Coventry was abandoned after this crazy storm

Bloody hell

Love the guy at the end though haha

rip in peace Faded Fortune.

Verm wouldn't play as a full back in any circumstance.

We definitely need 2 CBs.

If Rafael gets injured, better to have Jones or Valencia there.
Why not?

He has played there often enough for the national team, Arsenal, and presumably would under Van Gaal considering the complete lack of options. He also cited Smalling as playing back-up RB recently.

Barzul

Messi Minutes ‏@MessiMinutes 1m
Wenger on Van Gaal: "Utd have appointed a great manager who has shown during the World Cup that he's top quality."

Edit: damn, double post.

Why not?

He has played there often enough for the national team, Arsenal, and presumably would under Van Gaal considering the complete lack of options. He also cited Smalling as playing back-up RB recently.

Let's say we get Verm and no one else.

First choice back 4 would be:

Rafael -- Evans -- Vermaelen -- Shaw

Rafael gets injured = Smalling or Valencia will go there.
Shaw gets injured = Vermaelen goes there, Jones comes in the middle

But yes, United defense currently is suspect. We need to sign some peeps there for sure.

LTWheels

Oh shit, an Australian family lost some of their family members in the missing Malaysia airlines flight. And they have loss some more in the shot down flight over Ukraine...

Wilbur

Banned
New FPL league is up.

Someone else is admining the standard FPL league, but I've started a second league so we can play head-to-head as well. This is limited to 38 spots (we usually have 100+ entries in standard FPL), so if you want to get in, sign up now. Quote this post or quote the OP. It's in email tags.

Joined this by the way.
Anyone got the code to the other one?

Gaal Qaeda m8

Salvadora

Let's say we get Verm and no one else.

First choice back 4 would be:

Rafael -- Evans -- Vermaelen -- Shaw

Rafael gets injured = Smalling or Valencia will go there.
Shaw gets injured = Vermaelen goes there, Jones comes in the middle

But yes, United defense currently is suspect. We need to sign some peeps there for sure.
Well, United don't have Europe, so I don't think you can expect the kind of depth that you would be used to.

In all honesty, the injury-proneness of a lot of your defenders would cause me serious concern.

GorillaJu

Whoever started the classic FPL league just needs to renew it. I don't know who did it. I thought it was you, Wilbur. If anyone here thinks they may have started the Gaf classic FPL league, go to the FPL website, go to My Leagues and renew the league.

dc89

Woot! I actually was watching the game for the first 15 mins of the 2nd half but decided to hop on Destiny so I missed it. Love this kid.

We have to give him a chance. He is a major talent, more so than Denis Suarez. This kid is next level.

I'm talking about ze Meisterschaft. Dortmund is hungry again. I can feel it. Just look at your Großkreutz avatar.

It will be an interesting season for sure, or let's rather say an interesting start into the season.

Our squad is good enough to compete with Bayern when everyone's fit. And that's the problem right at the start. Reus and Gündogan will miss the start. Subotic and Kuba just came back from a long injury, Hummels will join like a week or two before the season starts and could miss the first few matches as well. We really need Auba, Sahin and Micky to do well and one of Immobile/Ramos/Ji to have a good start or it could be over before winter again.

But Bayern could struggle as well. Many Weltmeister who won pretty much everything now and Pep's (potentially) CB/tactic disasters could mean a hard season in Bundesliga.

Well, United don't have Europe, so I don't think you can expect the kind of depth that you would be used to.

In all honesty, the injury-proneness of a lot of your defenders would cause me serious concern.

That's a worry, we can hope it doesn't happen this time around. The amount of time back 4 had to be rotated last season was ridiculous. But lack of Europe will also help in that regards and keeping players fit.

Did Theo pick up a new injury or is this the same one from before? he is missing start of season.

Wilbur

Banned
Whoever started the classic FPL league just needs to renew it. I don't know who did it. I thought it was you, Wilbur. If anyone here thinks they may have started the Gaf classic FPL league, go to the FPL website, go to My Leagues and renew the league.

Might have been me. I'm on my phone, will check later.

GorillaJu

I wouldn't be so excited with Remy if we weren't getting a good fistful of cash for Borini. As it is, I feel like it's an astute signing.

Salvadora

That's a worry, we can hope it doesn't happen this time around. The amount of time back 4 had to be rotated last season was ridiculous. But lack of Europe will also help in that regards and keeping players fit.

Did Theo pick up a new injury or is this the same one from before? he is missing start of season.
No, it was just a very serious injury which takes a long time to recover from.

There haven't been any setbacks but when he returns it will undoubtedly have an impact on his game in the short-term, at least.

Blablurn

It will be an interesting season for sure, or let's rather say an interesting start into the season.

Our squad is good enough to compete with Bayern when everyone's fit. And that's the problem right at the start. Reus and Gündogan will miss the start. Subotic and Kuba just came back from a long injury, Hummels will join like a week or two before the season starts and could miss the first few matches as well. We really need Auba, Sahin and Micky to do well and one of Immobile/Ramos/Ji to have a good start or it could be over before winter again.

But Bayern could struggle as well. Many Weltmeister who won pretty much everything now and Pep's (potentially) CB/tactic disasters could mean a hard season in Bundesliga.

Yep. Whatever Pep is doing with our defense, it's going to fail :( I have a very bad feeling.

The good thing is. After experiencing so many wins in recent years I'm not as stressed about it as I used to be.

Re: Ibe

PL loan>staying with us>Championship loan

Wherever he goes on loan though, we need some stringent clauses to state that we can take him back if he isn't playing enough.

Not sure he's ready yet for a PL loan yet unless it's to relegation certainities Burnley

Elchele

Yep. Whatever Pep is doing with our defense, it's going to fail :( I have a very bad feeling.

The good thing is. After experiencing so many wins in recent years I'm not as stressed about it as I used to be.

Yeah me too, whatever happens I'm just going to enjoy it. Also, in the DFB Finale he played counter-attacking football with defense staying back and defending deep, something completely new to Pep. Maybe he'll use that tactic against strong sides like RM, Dortmund, etc from now on.

I don't have any problem with a change in formation to be honest, if that makes us play better and not worse.

Blablurn

Yeah me too, whatever happens I'm just going to enjoy it. Also, in the DFB Finale he played counter-attacking football with defense staying back and defending deep, something completely new to Pep. Maybe he'll use that tactic against strong sides like RM, Dortmund, etc from now on.

I don't have any problem with a change in formation to be honest, if that makes us play better and not worse.

Agreed. That DFB Cup tactic was fantastic. Let's see what happens. Maybe he is going to push Piere Emile and maybe even Scholl Jr. Let's hope Bernat will deliver as well. I have a good feeling about him.

The only thing that concerns me is Ribery :/ Will he be back in shape? And what happens if not? Will he complaing about sitting on the bench? Cause this is something he would do. I wouldn't mind to give either Götze or Shaqiri a chance on the left side. Or even Robben (Müller comes from the right wing).

What would be my dream formation....

----------------Neuer

Lahm - Boatent - Dante - Alaba

--------Schweini - Martinez

Müller ------ Thiago ------ Robben

----------- Lewandowski

It's difficult. We I don't even know if Thiago can play as a CAM. But I just wanna see him in the starting line up. But then we have Götze, Ribery and Shaqiri on the bench. Especially Götze won't like it.

Last year Pep was lucky that we had so many injuries. But I really hope we won't have too many of those.

What would be our second line up though?

---------------Stark

Rafina - Badstuber - Rode - Bernat

------------Hojbjerg - ?

Götze - Scholl (?) - Shaqiri

--------------Pizarro

And there is still Green and Contento. Let's face it.Our second team is really not that great. Once we get some serious injuries we're fucked.

Yen

My unpopular & unbased in reality football opinion of the day: Raheem Sterling has already peaked.

ifC9F8b25UMR1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom