• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 | OT3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shagwell

Tbh he looks very similar so far - good hollywood saves, looks nervous doing the simple stuff.

What?

Reina practically hadn't made a proper save for two years. He was the exact opposite in recent times, good distribution, no shot-stopping ability.

ShogunX

Ref being an utter fucking prick at the end of the half nearly costing us a goal. Shit decisions like that can cost you dear.

Other than that GET THE FUCK IN Sturridge and we should of had more. As for Stoke, Different manager, same old shithouse tactics. Bunch of cunts.

LTWheels

I don't think Aspas will get many goals but he is a pain to defend. We create space for others. Like said he is very selfless for a striker.

Tegris

We've let them have far too many free headers. Marking has been woeful and Mignolet looks shaky under the high ball. On the plus side the passing has been very sharp. It's going pretty much as expected really.

- Its bad enough that we're giving away stupid set pieces, without the ref giving them away as well
-Was Lucas booked or did BT get confused? Seemed a bit of a nothing challenge
-Coutinho's through balls are ridiculous, played it a bit too hard once or twice though
-Sturridge needs to put on longer studs
-Mignolet is shaky as fuck, nice save from Walters though
-We're absolutely dismal at defending set pieces

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Ref being an utter fucking prick at the end of the half nearly costing us a goal. Shit decisions like that can cost you dear.

Other than that GET THE FUCK IN Sturridge and we should of had more. As for Stoke, Different manager, same old shithouse tactics. Bunch of cunts.

Bit unfair on stoke, they work with what they have

Shagwell

Think when Stoke start chasing the game and it stretches a bit we'll begin to pick them apart. Especially if we can bring on a nice direct quick player on 'round the 65th minute mark, either Sterling or Ibe.

Decent first half performance though. Same issues as we've always had really. Hopefully Brendan has a word with Mignolet and calms him down because he's looking uncharacteristically shaky. Nerves for sure.

And yes, we've been very poor in the air and it's a worry. But we also won't be the only team to get fucked about in the air by Stoke this season. So we'll see how that goes over the next few weeks.

Oh, and Toure's been excellent imo.

Garjon

Wait what was Nzonzi booked for? I thought it was for a dive at first, then they said Lucas was booked (obviously not true)

Overall, a fantastic showing from midfield, decent up front (despite some poor finishing) and pretty dreadful from the back. Stoke are the sort of team that relish set pieces; they should not be allowed to create (and thankfully miss) the opportunities they are creating.

Also, I still think there's a bit of lacklustre discipline going in wrt our shape; all too often the wings are almost totally unoccupied and there is a bit of daft ball chasing going on. For the first game, not bad. Aspas and Coutinho are definite standouts.

fuenf

FCB: Neuer - Dante, Ribéry, Mandzukić, Shaqiri, Boateng, Lahm, Müller, Alaba, Schweinsteiger, Kroos

substitutes: Starke, van Buyten, Thiago, Robben, Rafinha, Götze, Contento

I know he played 90minutes against Ecuador but damn where's Javi :(

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Im liking BT sports aggressive approach to content, have to wonder if it will work though, i dont think it helps the studio they are in is really oddly lit, its dark, almost dead, it doesnt feel inviting.

Think when Stoke start chasing the game and it stretches a bit we'll begin to pick them apart. Especially if we can bring on a nice direct quick player on 'round the 65th minute mark, either Sterling or Ibe.

Decent first half performance though. Same issues as we've always had really. Hopefully Brendan has a word with Mignolet and calms him down because he's looking uncharacteristically shaky. Nerves for sure.

And yes, we've been very poor in the air and it's a worry. But we also won't be the only team to get fucked about in the air by Stoke this season. So we'll see how that goes over the next few weeks.

Oh, and Toure's been excellent imo.

I'd forgotten how good Toure is at playing the ball and keeping it under control. He isn't quite Agger, but he doesn' seem to panic under pressure nearly as much as Skrtel or Coates

Clegg

Nice goal

sturridge.gif

Yeah where's my tiki taka, Hughes?

Lived on the edge a bit, but we're good value for the lead. Pressed high and created chances. Add a more competent LB, Suarez and possibly Willian (still not holding out much hope there TBH) to this squad and we're good. Could do with a CB, though.

GQman2121

Banned
I could see this ending 1 - 2 still.

Pool should have got at least one more. Hendo needs to step up. There are better players in this squad now.

ShogunX

Bit unfair on stoke, they work with what they have

Nah not having that. Stoke used to be one of the best footballing sides in the land years ago and the likes of Tony Pulis have turned them into a bunch of thugs. A few Stoke fans frequent RAWK and they hate how there club has been turned into this.

The players they have to work with are all by choice. Stoke spent a fair bit of money under Pulis. Fair enough Hughes in a new manager but at the same time he's not somebody who has ever been known for free flowing football, He's a grinder and encourages his side to play the game in the good old English way. Lots of physical presence with a lack of any technique.

This kind of ''England knows best'' is exactly the reason why we fail at every major international competition. Teams have matched our physicality and added a lot more.

LTWheels

Pool should have got at least one more. Hendo needs to step up. There are better players in this squad now.

I don't think Hendo's playing an attacking role. I think he is mainly being used to drop back into spaces when other players press forward.

Coutz pls do your through balls like .5 seconds earlier, thanks.

I'm surprised by the way he's still found the through balls against Stoke's deeper backline. Should have had an assist, could have had 2, made a bit of a mess of the one where Aspas had to lunge at it.

Small niggle I have with Coutinho: Sometimes he thinks he's been fouled and spends 2 or 3 seconds sulking, oblivious to the ball and curent play. Has to have it drilled into him that you play to the whistle and do the remonstration when the ball's out of play.

Shagwell

The thing is even when Hendo's having an off day his energy in midfield keeps the balance in our side. Ste + Lucas are a bit lightweight at times as a duo, or at least were last season. Lucas is definitely looking a lot sharper now.

Think if anything we could do with a bit more width to stretch Stoke as they push up for an equaliser. Been very narrow.

I like the way you could pinpoint the exact moment we realised that we were wasting our time with high crosses from open play. Should have known that from the start, but still :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom