• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.
A win in game week 1 is all that matters. Spurs were alright from what I saw in the 2nd half, solid.

Paulinho is gonna be very good IMO, don't think blockbuster is his style, going to grow through the season I reckon, just keep shit on lockdown in that midfield.

So jel of that midfield, such good players and they're all tanks too.

Wilbur

Banned
Palace are gonna struggle so much for goals this year. Haven't seen enough of Gayle to comment but Phillips can't be expected to carry the burden.

dc89

A win in game week 1 is all that matters. Spurs were alright from what I saw in the 2nd half, solid.

Paulinho is gonna be very good IMO, don't think blockbuster is his style, going to grow through the season I reckon, just keep shit on lockdown in that midfield.

Moyes am cry.

We've got the Daddy of all Tanks.

Shagwell

Lloris, damn.

Really? No less so than you were yesterday. Dominated the game, should have scored more, one or two hairy moments but deserve the win. I think they've done alright, they were drawing this match at the start of last season. If they close it out, job done.

People are expecting too much from Spurs I think. They're favourites for fourth, but that's it.

Opinions and all that. I don't necessarily agree that they should have scored more. They managed three whole shots on target all match and I don't think more than one of them was made from inside the box. They really didn't create all that much, weren't much threatening. Don't know what that has to do with us.

They're a bit thin in midfield. Bale doesn't go (which I doubt he will) and they're top 5 again nailed on though. Credit goes to Palace for putting in a half-decent performance. They'll struggle for goals but on that showing they're definitely not going to be the worst team in the league.

I want to go to germany or any eastern bloc country like right now

ibw8ZSGKugjjfO.png

Showaddy

Decent start to the season. Bale with Soldado could be something special, along as we don't cave in to Madrid.

Sigurdsson needs to either up his all round game by about 500% though or we need to look for a quality attacking midfielder who can actually provide some service to Soldado and link up with Dembele/Paulinho.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It feels fucking orgasmic to have a striker you can trust with a penalty.

1-0 away from home, the most satisfying scoreline there is.

Gylfi needs time, he's been moved all over the shop in his time with us and played mostly on the left last season. He'll come good, I know he will.

Wilbur

Banned
Opinions and all that. I don't necessarily agree that they should have scored more. They managed three whole shots on target all match and I don't think more than one of them was made from inside the box. They really didn't create all that much, weren't much threatening. Don't know what that has to do with us.

They're a bit thin in midfield. Bale doesn't go (which I doubt he will) and they're top 5 again nailed on though. Credit goes to Palace for putting in a half-decent performance. They'll struggle for goals but on that showing they're definitely not going to be the worst team in the league.

They definitely should have scored more, Sigurdsson and Defoe missed easy chances. They'll only improve, they had the ball around Palace's box for the majority of the game.

Just comparing it to Liverpool's match yesterday in terms of expectation; I'm surprised anyone would think Spurs were going to walk today. People disappointed by a side missing their best player, gelling new signings in, coming to a newly promoted side and winning need to get their expectations in check a tad.

Zabojnik

Mad to think that Spurs in the last season or two have bought Dembele, Paulinho, Capoue and Sandro, and all could have improved us. Dunno what's happening there.

You'll walk all over the league anyway. Moyes is saving for Ronaldo's inevitable return next season.

LTWheels

sooooo not convinced about spuds at the moment

Same. If they don't keep Bale. I don't think they will get 4th place.

A brief quick look at the match stats, Palace has more shots on target than Spurs. Spurs had 15 shots off target and only 2 on target.

But anyhow, it's only first day of the season.

StylusX

Solid performance.

Thought Paulinho and Rose were excellent.
Chadli showed glimpses, think he's going to be a good player for us.
Capoue looks like another sandro haha
Bit disappointed with Sig.
AVB subs where a bit puzzling. I was making something to eat when dembele came off. Is he injured? Would have liked to see Townsend come on in the second half.

Think we still need a creative player: someone to unlock defences ...anyway a wins a win so i'm happy:)

justjohn

Torres starting? Looks like he's about to get another manager sacked. I dont even care if he scores a hattrick today, had enough false dawns with this guy.

Arnie

Good win for Spurs. Away from home and without Bale. Not surprised to hear they played a bit shakily, either. They were poor at the start of last season but then they blossomed and became one of the best sides in the league.

Until we destroyed them.

Wilbur

Banned
#BVB: Weidenfeller - Großkreutz, Sokratis, Hummels, Schmelzer - Bender, Sahin - Kuba, Mkhitaryan, Aubameyang - Lewandowski

DAT MICKEY

Scum

What's the Chelsea line-up??

I look forward to more of Paulinho. :D

It feels fucking orgasmic to have a striker you can trust with a penalty.

1-0 away from home, the most satisfying scoreline there is.

Gylfi needs time, he's been moved all over the shop in his time with us and played mostly on the left last season. He'll come good, I know he will.

Good to see your new signing pay off. Great stuff to see a striker score a penalty for us. :3

Hull, pls.

L1NETT

Mata on the bench?

Please don't return to snoozeball Mou like the last time you were there.

Again read : He has been injured and was doubtful. He's starting with De Bruyne, Oscar and Hazard up there in the positions Mata can play...

Ah gotcha. Still hold my reservations about Mou's style, but we shall see.

What's the Chelsea line-up??

Cech
Ivanovic, Terry, Cahill, Cole
Ramires, Lampard
De Bruyne, Oscar, Hazard,
Torres

Subs: Schwarzer, Essien, Mata, Schurrle, Van Ginkel, Lukaku, Ba

Mata on the bench?

Please don't return to snoozeball Mou like the last time you were there.

Again read : He has been injured and was doubtful. He's starting with De Bruyne, Oscar and Hazard up there in the positions Mata can play... Not like that is much less offensive.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Cunet Cakir will officiate Tuesday’s Champions League play-off between PSV and Milan.
Sorry, Milan..
1170948_545993482139988_1476127386_n.png

DAJE RAGAZZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Why hello good lookin'.
The thing is, it's not like there is an absence of wingers out there. In fact, we sold all our wingers apart from Pepe. The point is that there are no wingers in the Conte mold. At least one of our wingers in a 4-3-3 needs to be defensively capable, ala Pepe. Nani isn't that, and he was the only winger we were attached with really.
Pretty much. And Pepe is more of a fullback than winger IMO, his 'winger' stats were fucking shocking two years ago.

A 4-3-3 makes sense and everything but let's not get our hopes up, heh. Conte won't change the 3-5-2 anytime soon, we simply have too many midfielders to even consider it.
KuGsj.gif

This is from Daniel Taylor's article in today's Guardian.

Wayne Rooney is a case in point. His agent, Paul Stretford, to use Sir Alex Ferguson's description, is "not the most popular man" at Old Trafford.

Yet Rooney sometimes appears to be in thrall of him. "It's like dad and son," as someone closely involved put it a few days ago. "It's nothing like the usual player and agent relationship." And Stretford, for the most part, is clearly used to getting his own way.

He is not someone I know well but I have been flicking through Stan Collymore's autobiography over the past few days and it offers his own insight into what it is like being a Stretford client. Published in 2004, shortly after Rooney moved to United, it also has some advice for the teenager. "I hope Rooney knows what kind of animal Stretford is," he writes. "I hope he doesn't fall for all the emotional shit."

Collymore remembers Stretford going from being "a thorough, professional, understated guy to this horrible parody of an agent", wearing a long Gucci coat and sunglasses and christened, behind his back, as "Toad" by the player's mates, because he reminded them of the character from The Wind in the Willows. That may sound fairly inconsequential. Yet Collymore also came to think of himself as "a doormat" as far as Stretford was concerned and, explaining why he eventually severed all ties, depicts him as a deeply manipulative character. "I had always done whatever he said. I said yes to all sorts of things, often without looking at them. I allowed the line between him being my surrogate father and my agent to become blurred. And he played on that big-time. He abused it. My relationship with him was unhealthily dependent and he milked it for all it was worth."

One time, shortly after Collymore had moved from Liverpool to Aston Villa, he says he took a telephone call from Stretford begging for money. "His business was expanding and he had calculated I owed him £80,000." Collymore says he ran some checks and worked out he did not owe a penny. "A couple of days later Stretford rang again. This time he was near enough in tears. He said: 'You do love me, don't you Stan?'" Collymore wrote a cheque because "that was the kind of hold he had over me".

This time, however, Stretford is not going to get what he and his client want. United, as the Guardian revealed last week, are not going to let Rooney join Chelsea, no matter how many roubles Roman Abramovich chucks at it or what the player and his agent cook up next.

Hopefully Liverpool will stick to what they say regarding Luis Suárez and, between them, the two clubs can show that sometimes it does not matter how much a player stamps his feet. It is not going to change the culture but it would be a break from the norm – and that is not a bad thing at all.

Bale is a slightly different situation because of the sheer amount of money involved and the fact Spurs would not be selling to a direct rival. On that basis, it is going to be extremely hard for Daniel Levy to turn down a world-record transfer (a friend of mine, with connections to the Bernabéu, reports back that Madrid have already pre‑ordered 50,000 shirts with Bale's name emblazoned across the back). Yet the Spurs chairman, just like his counterparts at Old Trafford and Anfield, is entitled to be aggrieved given the way the player and his Mr Fixit have gone about it and it is not totally out of the question Bale, Suárez and Rooney will all discover that player-power isn't this season's fashion.

There have been alot of rumours going around that Stretford is pushing for Rooney's move big time because he needs money. Interesting that Taylor has written about this, probably heard the same.

Wilbur

Banned
More importantly than any of that, how did you manage to miss your lot's opening match and yet find yourself watching Spurs against Palace instead of taking in lovely, lovely Bruges? :p

HuNVz0e.gif

I did watch our match you turkle! Irish pub in Bruges. We seemed to have booked a day more here than we needed; staying til Tuesday and we've got more than enough time to do everything. Quite a small place!

Slizz

This is from Daniel Taylor's article in today's Guardian.

There have been alot of rumours going around that Stretford is pushing for Rooney's move big time because he needs money. Interesting that Taylor has written about this, probably heard the same.

Rooneybeardtrailerpark.gif

Scum

Cech
Ivanovic, Terry, Cahill, Cole
Ramires, Lampard
De Bruyne, Oscar, Hazard,
Torres

Subs: Schwarzer, Essien, Mata, Schurrle, Van Ginkel, Lukaku, Ba

Again read : He has been injured and was doubtful. He's starting with De Bruyne, Oscar and Hazard up there in the positions Mata can play... Not like that is much less offensive.
Torres x2, Lukaku x3 when he comes on, Hazard for all assists.
Chelsea 5 - 6 Hull :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom