• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT7| The Ramsey Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Salary caps are the best thing to happen to the NBA and NFL, and the lack of a salary cap is why the MLB is on a decline now.

EDIT: I drove to the the Chelsea Madrid game in Miami with my boy but we sat in separate seats. I had no problem watching by myself.

YOUR WHAT NOW

YOU'RE A FATHER?

faridmon

I'm not advocating, just simply pointing out certain things about the prices that make sense money-wise for the club.

It doesn't make sense to have a League 1 match to be priced equally to the one of a Dortmund game. All those inflated price point just results in badly managed clubs that only invest in bad players just because they can afford it.

hey, i do not want expensive prices, but I am not going to cry if I can not afford to go to games.
Yes, you should cry if you were a football fan and a long supporter of your football club.

That sounds like communism to me.
Honestly, Communism would do wonder for football.

Linius

These tickets vs Southampton, the white box in the upper right corner - so as high as you can possibly be in Old Trafford - are £45 for adult members. I'd get one for £34.50 because I'm 20 and the under 16 tickets are only £13 but like I say, it's not the best seat selection

TVNNdg3.png

So the worst tickets in Old Trafford are 20 pounds more than 25 euros. So that will probably be like 30 euros more expensive. I can see why UK folks are complaining about the prices.

Slizz

It doesn't make sense to have a League 1 match to be priced equally to the one of a Dortmund game. All those inflated price point just results in badly managed clubs that only invest in bad players just because they can afford it.

I didn't really even think of League 1, but if people stop showing up and attendance drops off, guarantee you see price drops for games. It's just that simple in both directions.

karl-pilkington-o.gif

Holy smokes what is this ahah

A grand for a season is extortionate - many fans from the local area are now priced out for the foreseeable future from ever seeing their team play live. That isn't right, football clubs are there partly to support the local community and not line the pockets of suits and give tourists a day out.

Arsenal, as in any club, about the fans and if you are a kid from Islington or Radlett or Mill Hill you cannot get in the Emirates. Same with a kid from Salford. The most expensive season ticket in the Prem is not "reasonable". 15 years ago huge parts of many grounds were local kids who wanted to see their team play. Now huge swathes of many big clubs are tourists.

So at the end of the day you want your club to be a business first and a community social hub and beneficiary second? Cool.

If you're from Bradford, how do you even know where Mill Hill and Radlett are?!

edit: pretty sure that's Barnet anyway, not Islington. Dat local community

L1NETT

If you're from Bradford, how do you even know where Mill Hill and Radlett are?!

Born in Bradford, lived there for half my life then moved to Outside (ish) North London. Now in Brum.

I can't believe there are people who are advocating for those steep staggered prices of PL.

I know, it fries my brain.

Actually, Arsenal always sell out league games, but sometimes the season ticket holders can not go to the game so they do not count to the match day attendance.

I can tell you for a fact that last part is absolute toffee waffle. Most clubs count all ST as part of the attendance regardless if they show up or not. And for about half your league games last year you did not sell out.

Slizz

Actually, Arsenal always sell out league games, but sometimes the season ticket holders can not go to the game so they do not count to the match day attendance.

Thats another thing, majority of empty seats are season ticket holders, whose price paid for tickets has already been accounted for, resulting in the sellouts.

EDIT: Season ticket holders not going to games are the majority of the way I find myself at NBA and NFL games.

Salary caps are the best thing to happen to the NBA and NFL, and the lack of a salary cap is why the MLB is on a decline now.

EDIT: I drove to the the Chelsea Madrid game in Miami with my boy but we sat in separate seats. I had no problem watching by myself.

I don't know about that. Parity isn't the reason why the league does well in terms of popularity. For the NBA, the highest ratings have occured during a dynasty. MJ's Bulls have the highest tv ratings in NBA history. In the 80s, Celtics and Lakers gave life to the NBA. The early 2000 Lakers and the late 2000 Lakers also brought huge popularity.

You can say the same for Boxing. People want to watch Mayweather because of how good he is or because they want to finally see him fail. Pac was the same thing. Tyson is another good example.

I don't think it's possible to have Salary caps in Europe as it would have to be worldwide. If a league has a salary cap, a league that wants to grow could step in and fill that void and bring in talent it's never had before. It works in the US because frankly no one plays American sports as much. There's no competition really. Parity in this sport comes from the Cup competitions.

faridmon

The large percentage is just nonsense, have you been to a game at the emirates???

No, because its too expensive and I have no right in even sniffing at those tickets because I am poor. in fact, I should stop living since I would just waste the Oxygen on my lungs who belongs to accountants of London.

after living 4 years of London (In fact Highbury & Islington, Dalston,Old street, angle, etc is my go to areas for gigs and whatnot) , and have friends who support the club and went to the stadium to watch their club fail for 7 year straight, I think I know a thing or two about it, yes

Slizz

I don't know about that. Parity isn't the reason why the league does well in terms of popularity. For the NBA, the highest ratings have occured during a dynasty. MJ's Bulls have the highest tv ratings in NBA history. In the 80s, Celtics and Lakers gave life to the NBA. The early 2000 Lakers and the late 2000 Lakers also brought huge popularity.

You can say the same for Boxing. People want to watch Mayweather because of how good he is or because they want to finally see him fail. Pac was the same thing. Tyson is another good example.

I don't think it's possible to have Salary caps in Europe as it would have to be worldwide. If a league has a salary cap, a league that wants to grow could step in and fill that void and bring in talent it's never had before. It works in the US because frankly no one plays American sports as much. There's no competition really. Parity in this sport comes from the Cup competitions.

The ratings for the NBA and NFL have only gone up recently from year to year. There has been dynasties in each league but not for long spans. But I agree the parity is very slim in both leagues but some could say the same essentially with all the major Euro Football leagues.

Theres no way in hell Europe would ever adopt a salary cap unless there was a luxury tax perhaps like in the NBA. You can go over the cap but pay double taxes or something like that and be OK within the NBA rules.

faridmon

I fucking hate Aston Villa charging for 35-65 quids while they are based in Midlands (not London mind you) and they remain to be unattractive to watch.

I just find it funny that people complain about Arsenal prices.

had we stayed at Highbury then 35,000 would be going to games and the prices would be much higher than they are not.

had arsenal wanted as many fans to go to the games as possible and resulted in cheaper prices then they would have built an 80,000 stadium and it would have cost over 200 million more and left the club in a worse financial situation.

Instead they select 60,000 and charge a reasonable price for demand.

Fans wanted a bigger stadium and now they have it, 10 years ago 25,000 less people would have been able to attend games.

The ratings for the NBA and NFL have only gone up recently from year to year. There has been dynasties in each league but not for long spans. But I agree the parity is very slim in both leagues but some could say the same essentially with all the major Euro Football leagues.

Theres no way in hell Europe would ever adopt a salary cap unless there was a luxury tax perhaps like in the NBA. You can go over the cap but pay double taxes or something like that and be OK within the NBA rules.

Honestly, if the NBA wanted parity it would be better to just dismantle 4-6 teams. The talent is too spread out. That's another topic though.

faridmon

I just find it funny that people complain about Arsenal prices.

had we stayed at Highbury then 35,000 would be going to games and the prices would be much higher than they are not.

had arsenal wanted as many fans to go to the games as possible and resulted in cheaper prices then they would have built an 80,000 stadium and it would have cost over 200 million more and left the club in a worse financial situation.

Instead they select 60,000 and charge a reasonable price for demand.

Fans wanted a bigger stadium and now they have it, 10 years ago 25,000 less people would have been able to attend games.

Hey, I am not singling out Arsenal. Its the whole country that is going bonkers about prices and, Slizz, is right, if people stopped going to those matches, clubs would have to double take on their prices of their tickets. Too bad, its an exploitative system where clubs know that there are people who would die to see their club, even if it means bending over the table and take it as it is.

Its a sad situation all around, but what is more sadder is, people who would actually defend it because of ''reasons''.

No, because its too expensive and I have no right in even sniffing at those tickets because I am poor. in fact, I should stop living since I would just waste the Oxygen on my lungs who belongs to accountants of London.

after living 4 years of London (In fact Highbury & Islington, Dalston,Old street, angle, etc is my go to areas for gigs and whatnot) , and have friends who support the club and went to the stadium to watch their club fail for 7 year straight, I think I know a thing or two about it, yes

I went to games for most seasons, I have not been able to go to games in two seasons in recent years and that is because I do not live their anymore and was unable to get tickets when I went back. Although luckily I got to go when I flew back for xmas last year.

All the other times I went to games there was not a "large percentage" of tourist fans. There were Asian tourists who did go to the games, but it was not like they were taking up the stadium.

ringwaldhaze

Neo Member
I always have found Arsenal prices to be quite reasonable. After all, we are Arsenal and not Spurs.

Man, this is cringe-worthy. Arsenal's ticket prices are ridiculous (as are Premier League prices in general) and people just shouldn't go. I'm in Manchester now, but even when I lived in London I didn't go to the games. I'd watch them on TV and go to places like Barnet (this was pre-Edgar Davids unfortunately) and Brentford to see live matches.

Merchandise is way, way, way overpriced too.

Slizz

Honestly, if the NBA wanted parity it would be better to just dismantle 4-6 teams. The talent is too spread out. That's another topic though.

The Heat dynasty only happened because of Pat Riley and his complete mastery of all the rules and collective bargaining agreements(another thing thats not in place in Europe; a players union).

Once he put the plan in place the free agents flocked.

L1NETT

Loads of big clubs do it Shanks, just Arsenal are at the top of the list when this topic is brought up.

10 mins till IT CROWD!!

Linius

Lol, some guy on TV said Gravity is being directed by the man behind the Harry Potter films. Come on man, he did one HP film. People should really know him from Children of Men :D

Hey, I am not singling out Arsenal. Its the whole country that is going bonkers about prices and, Slizz, is right, if people stopped going to those matches, clubs would have to double take on their prices of their tickets. Too bad, its an exploitative system where clubs know that there are people who would die to see their club, even if it means bending over the table and take it as it is.

Its a sad situation all around, but what is more sadder is, people who would actually defend it because of ''reasons''.

i do not think it is sad to defend it. football is a business these days.

MS charged people for online. Sony said "hey people are willing to pay for this, we would be idiots not to charge" It is a business.

Arsenal charge reasonable prices for their location and number of supporters. They are 200,000 who just pay for at least a red membership!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if 60,000 people do not want to go to a game than there are still 140,000 paying members. God knows how many others who do not pay for the membership but want to go.

faridmon

I went to games for most seasons, I have not been able to go to games in two seasons in recent years and that is because I do not live their anymore and was unable to get tickets when I went back. Although luckily I got to go when I flew back for xmas last year.

All the other times I went to games there was not a "large percentage" of tourist fans. There were Asian tourists who did go to the games, but it was not like they were taking up the stadium.

My Swedish friend (yes, Swedish) who was an arsenal fan went to Bayern games last season and the Swansea game thereafter and guess what; he hated the atmosphere because the people who was did not give a fuck. I could understand that the team was losing and all, but he said that he didn't feel any passion nor anger there. I know ''tourist fans'' gets exaggerated, but nevertheless, you could not fill a 70k stadium with only hardcore fans with those inflated prices.

also I am just messing about. <3 Arsenal-GAF

Man, this is cringe-worthy. Arsenal's ticket prices are ridiculous (as are Premier League prices in general) and people just shouldn't go. I'm in Manchester now, but even when I lived in London I didn't go to the games. I'd watch them on TV and go to places like Barnet (this was pre-Edgar Davids unfortunately) and Brentford to see live matches.

Merchandise is way, way, way overpriced too.

60,000 go to games and another 140,000 are queued up to go to games. How are the prices unreasonable? It is not like 40,000 people are turning up to games.

faridmon

i do not think it is sad to defend it. football is a business these days.

Except it is sad. It started out as a fan made culture and developed into a fan drive sport. Business is fine and dandy, but when overtakes passion and community unity, then its wrong.

and Germany is a good example to how to business and sport at the same time.

Just because its what it is, doesn't make it right.

My Swedish friend (yes, Swedish) who was an arsenal fan went to Bayern games last season and the Swansea game thereafter and guess what; he hated the atmosphere because the people who was did not give a fuck. I could understand that the team was losing and all, but he said that he didn't feel any passion nor anger there. I know ''tourist fans'' gets exaggerated, but nevertheless, you could not fill a 70k stadium with only hardcore fans with those inflated prices.

also I am just messing about. <3 Arsenal-GAF

yeah the fans at the stadium are not great at times, but they are not the tourists. they are the hardcore 50-60 year old grumpy ass fans. It annoys the shit out of me, but thoes are the guys who have been going to games for 30-40 years.

I always cheered uss on and supported the team regardless of what I thought outside of the stadium of how we had been performing.

Wilbur

Banned
60,000 go to games and another 140,000 are queued up to go to games. How are the prices unreasonable? It is not like 40,000 people are turning up to games.

How are Bayern and Dortmund able to provide 60-80,000 seats, trophies and cheap ticket prices? How do they do it?!

L1NETT

@HixxSAFC

HAha out of left field but I think he is a top manager.

But we all know your going to get Ince and be down by Halloween ;-)

FootballFan

So the other day I was watching MTV in the morning when they play just music videos.... Turns out it turned me onto a new artist I had not heard before. Really weird to say that I learned from MTV about this artist in this day in age. Even worse its a 17 yr old girl from New Zealand..... Anyways its Lorde, some of you peeps in here would prolly like her, if not already heard of her. Since I found out via MTV it must mean I'm behind the curve.

She goes to college(high school) 20 min from here.

You aren't that late, pretty sure she's quite new(in the last year or so if I had to guess)

I think her new album is out, saw it yesterday.

Except it is sad. It started out as a fan made culture and developed into a fan drive sport. Business is fine and dandy, but when overtakes passion and community unity, then its wrong.

and Germany is a good example to how to business and sport at the same time.

Just because its what it is, doesn't make it right.

This is specific to Arsenal and i can not talk about other clubs. But Arsenal's local community is black, white, asian, christian, muslim and people from all different countries.London is a multicultural city. There are tons of different communities situated around the stadium. this is not the 1930s.

i really do not understand what this idea of community unity is.

The area is always united on matchday and when i see flags and scarfs in every shop. I am sure the local community loves have 60,000 turning up and spending money in local shops.

Elchele

Can't you buy one second hand? Over here you get an older model PS3 for under 100 euros easily. Or buy a PS4 and play the game over Gaikai or whatever they call that streaming service.

Nah, the PS3 is around 400USD here. So it wouldn't make sense with the PS4 so near :/ I guess I'll have to try the Gaikai BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom