• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT7| The Ramsey Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are Bayern and Dortmund able to provide 60-80,000 seats, trophies and cheap ticket prices? How do they do it?!

Isnt dortmunds stadium from the 70s???

I do not know the financing behind Munichs stadium, but I am guessing they did not pay for construction by themselves.How much 1860 paid is beyond me.

But comparing the two situations is completely different.

faridmon

This is specific to Arsenal and i can not talk about other clubs. But Arsenal's local community is black, white, asian, christian, muslim and people from all different countries.London is a multicultural city. There are tons of different communities situated around the stadium. this is not the 1930s.

i really do not understand what this idea of community unity is.

The area is always united on matchday and when i see flags and scarfs in every shop. I am sure the local community loves have 60,000 turning up and spending money in local shops.

You don't have to go back to 30s. Even in the 90s where tickets would be actually given to school kids and the moment you didn't sell out your tickets, you would buy it for half of the price. The football in England, even Arsenal, revolved around the community of the area, multiculturalism and footballing tradition was never mutually exclusive and people always look forward to matchdays because of the atmosphere and as I said cultural unity, as coming together and support the club you love.

Nowadays, the football is about who can afford it and who is ''cool'' enough to be a supporter. Having been to the pubs around the Emirates, it was really sad to see people who supported their club but could not afford to go there and had to settle for pubs around the stadium in order to support their club.

Wilbur

Banned

I do not know the financing behind Munichs stadium, but I am guessing they did not pay for construction by themselves.How much 1860 paid is beyond me.

Do you think its fair that Arsenal can charge exorbitant prices to watch them with no end product?

Wilbur

Banned
I thought you meant MILF. I'm disappointed.

iYKztZWPcC3s9.gif

Elchele

Bayern are still paying for the stadium, they will continue to pay it until 2020. 1860 Munich sold their "part" of the stadium to Bayern a few years ago, now they 'rent' it for their matches.

edit: great quote from Uli

'We could charge more than £104. Let's say we charged £300. We'd get £2m more in income but what's £2m to us?
'In a transfer discussion you argue about that sum for five minutes. But the difference between £104 and £300 is huge for the fan.
'We do not think the fans are like cows, who you milk. Football has got to be for everybody.

You don't have to go back to 30s. Even in the 90s where tickets would be actually given to school kids and the moment you didn't sell out your tickets, you would buy it for half of the price. The football in England, even Arsenal, revolved around the community of the area, multiculturalism and footballing tradition was never mutually exclusive and people always look forward to matchdays because of the atmosphere and as I said cultural unity, as coming together and support the club you love.

Nowadays, the football is about who can afford it and who is ''cool'' enough to be a supporter. Having been to the pubs around the Emirates, it was really sad to see people who supported their club but could not afford to go there and had to settle for pubs around the stadium in order to support their club.

Matchday at the emirates everybody does come to the stadium and support the club they love. there is great unity around there.

Wilbur said:
Do you think its fair that Arsenal can charge exorbitant prices to watch them with no end product?

you still have not told me how they are exorbitant. If games are selling out at current prices then people clearly feel they are getting value for money.

Not everyone can afford everything they want.

I have spent 90 odd plus money for the programme and feel it was worth it everytime. And that is without the end product of a trophy. Arsenal are a passion of mine and when I could afford it I would go. I WOULD HAVE LOVED CHEAPER TICKETS, but I found it reasonable when there are so many supporters of my favourite club and we all want to go see Arsenal.

faridmon

Bayern are still paying for the stadium, they will continue to pay it until 2020. 1860 Munich sold their "part" of the stadium to Bayern a few years ago, now they 'rent' it for their matches.

That a great fucking Quote.

Respect for Bayern have increased to -187607647320

Uli, that is 60 million a season. you could have the whole dortmund team.

So wait Bayern tickets are £104 a game???

Also was the stadium solely funded by Munich???

Wilbur

Banned
Matchday at the emirates everybody does come to the stadium and support the club they love. there is great unity around there.

you still have not told me how they are exorbitant. If games are selling out at current prices then people clearly feel they are getting value for money.

Not everyone can afford everything they want.

I have spent 90 odd plus money for the programme and feel it was worth it everytime. And that is without the end product of a trophy. Arsenal are a passion of mine and when I could afford it I would go. I WOULD HAVE LOVED CHEAPER TICKETS, but I found it reasonable when there are so many supporters of my favourite club and we all want to go see Arsenal.

You think its worth spending 90 quid on one match, tax evading cunt Uli thinks its worth spending 100 quid for 17 matches

That's why its exorbitant.

I think it's about the same price ($150 or so) to get season tickets to see the Austin Aztex (4th division) and there are far fewer matches. :lol

Nice slate of games on Saturday.

1374312_596803000399400_1599715521_n.jpg

That will do nicely, I am hoping for a Man City clean sheet and a Yaya goal. I can not see Villa scoring with the main man injured.

Hope Chelsea and Spurs have an exciting game that ends in a draw and of course an Arsenal win.

Lightning

Banned
Wow, that's unfathomable for me as a US sports fan.
What do you make of the America's Cup comeback by Oracle? Bloody funny, imo. NZ were planning their victory speeches before they had won and then ended up blowing what seemed like an uncatchable lead.

The media fallout from it has been quite amusing.

You think its worth spending 90 quid on one match, tax evading cunt Uli thinks its worth spending 100 quid for 17 matches

That's why its exorbitant.

Two different countries and cultures. As people have said, league two season tickets are more expensive. It is the whole culture of football now.

Salvadora

Some injury updates straight from the horse's mouth (not Laboured):
Walcott - optimistically 3 weeks, realistically 5 weeks.
Ramsey- Thigh problem, confident for Swansea.
Flamini - Shoulder problem, confident for Swansea.

I heard this from a third party source so it may or may not be correct, but apparently Arteta wasn't pictured in training today..

faridmon

We are playing Newcastle tomorrow and i hate them because they seem to get points from us in the most horrible and unjustly way.

Hate playing against Newcastle

*Remembers last season disallowed goals*

Meier

What do you make of the America's Cup comeback by Oracle? Bloody funny, imo. NZ were planning their victory speeches before they had won and then ended up blowing what seemed like an uncatchable lead.

The media fallout from it has been quite amusing.

Honestly, outside of the news outlets reporting it when it happened, essentially no one in the US cares. Yachting or whatever you call it, has the most insular fan base of any sport I can think of. I did know it was happening prior to us actually winning it though thanks to tweets from jstevenson in the lead up during our comeback.

At face value, it has to be one of the biggest choke jobs/comebacks in the history of "sports."

Lightning

Banned
Honestly, outside of the news outlets reporting it when it happened, essentially no one in the US cares. Yachting or whatever you call it, has the most insular fan base of any sport I can think of. I did know it was happening prior to us actually winning it though thanks to tweets from jstevenson in the lead up during our comeback.

At face value, it has to be one of the biggest choke jobs/comebacks in the history of "sports."
The news wasn't "that" big here until it became pretty clear that we were going to lose and from leading 8-1 in the best of 17 races to go on and lose is the biggest choke I've ever seen. Not 1 race but 8 in a row? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

arkon

Can't believe we didn't win that game. Goal ruled out for offside. Missed penalty about 5 minutes from the end too. Should have played Scannell from the start. He was far more effective running at the fullbacks. He can actually beat a man with some skill. That kid Holmes looks good, nice ball played in for Vaughan's goal.

Still I suppose I'd have taken a point before the game. Fuck.

Linius

I think it's about the same price ($150 or so) to get season tickets to see the Austin Aztex (4th division) and there are far fewer matches. :lol

Nice slate of games on Saturday.

1374312_596803000399400_1599715521_n.jpg

It must be so weird watching live football at 8 in the morning.

Well, you're used to it probably :p

Meier

It must be so weird watching live football at 8 in the morning.

Well, you're used to it probably :p

Those are for the Eastern time zone. It's all an hour earlier for me. City did have one of the 6:45 am kick-offs this season and that was brutal. Yellow submarine would have to be up at 4:45 am to watch that game live.

I was on vacation in Colorado last year and ended up getting terrible food poisoning so I was just up puking and going to the bathroom repeatedly early in the morning. The plus side to that meant I was up for the 5:45 am kick-off against Norwich when City won 6-1 I think it was. Tevez got his hat trick.. that was when we really started feeling better and better that we might still win the title.

Januzaj interview on United website

Were your family there and what did they make of it?
My dad and my mum were there. They want the best for me and, naturally, they want to see me play every game! It's my first match so they were really happy for me. I talk to my dad a lot about football; he knows the game well. I work hard on the pitch and do what he asks me to do because whenever he has told me to do something and I have done it, it has worked out well. He's the reason that I am at United. He's had a big influence on my career, so he was proud to see my debut.

Part of the interview is old. A couple of questions were added today.

edit: His favorite players of all time are Zidane and Riquelme.

He's going to go to those La Liga cunts.

tumblr_mtr4v4gHE11qjdzcfo6_250.gif

tumblr_mtr4uiQZPF1rz6eo9o2_250.gif

Linius

Those are for the Eastern time zone. It's all an hour earlier for me. City did have one of the 6:45 am kick-offs this season and that was brutal. Yellow submarine would have to be up at 4:45 am to watch that game live.

I was on vacation in Colorado last year and ended up getting terrible food poisoning so I was just up puking and going to the bathroom repeatedly early in the morning. The plus side to that meant I was up for the 5:45 am kick-off against Norwich when City won 6-1 I think it was. Tevez got his hat trick.. that was when we really started feeling better and better that we might still win the title.

I have respect for the dedication of US football fans. These times ain't easy. I'm glad I don't follow any sports outside of Europe except for the world cup from time to time. Brazil is gonna be brutal.

I have respect for the dedication of US football fans. These times ain't easy. I'm glad I don't follow any sports outside of Europe except for the world cup from time to time. Brazil is gonna be brutal.

I think the times for the world cup are ressonable. Just the same as the confed games. Just means europeans will go to bed at midnight i think.

I am worried about the knockout game because if Italy go deep and go to eztra time or penalties then i have to choose between going to work late or missing the game

Linius

I think the times for the world cup are ressonable. Just the same as the confed games. Just means europeans will go to bed at midnight i think.

I am worried about the knockout game because if Italy go deep and go to eztra time or penalties then i have to choose between going to work late or missing the game

The evening games will end around 3 or 4 am in Europe :(

What about Canadian football fans?

That was a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom