• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT7| The Ramsey Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
haha, Arsenal have 200,000 people willing to spend £30 a year for simply the chance to buy tickets. Of course Arsenal are going to charge high prices. I have never complained and i find it ludicrous when people say a matchday experience is too high. It is not a right that people should be able to go watch football games. If people can not afford then save up and go once a year, it will make it more special.

I always have found Arsenal prices to be quite reasonable. After all, we are Arsenal and not Spurs.

haha, Arsenal have 200,000 people willing to spend £30 a year for simply the chance to buy tickets. Of course Arsenal are going to charge high prices. I have never complained and i find it ludicrous when people say a matchday experience is too high. It is not a right that people should be able to go watch football games. If people can not afford then save up and go once a year, it will make it more special.

I always have found Arsenal prices to be quite reasonable. After all, we are Arsenal and not Spurs.

Double the prices
Make it better than Christmas

L1NETT

I always have found Arsenal prices to be quite reasonable. After all, we are Arsenal and not Spurs

karl-pilkington-o.gif

Holy smokes what is this ahah

A grand for a season is extortionate - many fans from the local area are now priced out for the foreseeable future from ever seeing their team play live. That isn't right, football clubs are there partly to support the local community and not line the pockets of suits and give tourists a day out.

Arsenal, as in any club, about the fans and if you are a kid from Islington or Radlett or Mill Hill you cannot get in the Emirates. Same with a kid from Salford. The most expensive season ticket in the Prem is not "reasonable". 15 years ago huge parts of many grounds were local kids who wanted to see their team play. Now huge swathes of many big clubs are tourists.

So at the end of the day you want your club to be a business first and a community social hub and beneficiary second? Cool.

Never been to the Emirates on a competitive matchday, so yes the prices are ridiculous, but have you considered how much it would cost to do a full day trip to London? Easily £250 at the very least and some people just can't afford it. Bills, rent etc.

Wilbur

Banned

What fucking nonsense

Yen

Absolute rubbish

Salvadora

I think I would feel more sympathetic to the Arsenal shirt sale plight if they didn't have £80m available to hand, and an added £70m p/a in new commercial deals. The club is rolling in money.

Ideally I would only buy official shirts, but £70 is a fuck ton of money when you don't have much.

karl-pilkington-o.gif

Holy smokes what is this ahah

A grand for a season is extortionate - many fans from the local area are now priced out for the foreseeable future from ever seeing their team play live. That isn't right, football clubs are there partly to support the local community and not line the pockets of suits and give tourists a day out.

Arsenal, as in any club, about the fans and if you are a kid from Islington or Radlett or Mill Hill you cannot get in the Emirates. Same with a kid from Salford. The most expensive season ticket in the Prem is not "reasonable". 15 years ago huge parts of many grounds were local kids who wanted to see their team play. Now huge swathes of many big clubs are tourists.

So at the end of the day you want your club to be a business first and a community social hub and beneficiary second? Cool.

The idea of clubs being a social hub is just an obsolete idea in the modern age. I am a kid from Islington and I had no problems going to games. All the houses around that area, including my Nonna's, who lives a two minute walk from the stadium, are over 800k.

Nobody has a right to go watch any football team. you either pay or you do not. Lots of people are priced out of many things, that is a way of life.

It is also extremely exaggerated the amount of tourists at games. Also the amount of kids at games has grown. Kids were not going to stadiums 30 years ok. there were not all that many kids at games when i went to my first game nearly 20 years ago.

Linius

About the football shirts, I only buy legit ones. That's probably the reason I only have four (2× Ajax, 1× Barcelona, 1× NT) of them :p

But to me the feel and looks of the real deal are just so much better than some knock off. And it's something special to buy a new shirt. If I order a shirt every month just because it's just gonna take up too much closet space in the end :p

Wilbur

Banned
The idea of clubs being a social hub is just an obsolete idea in the modern age.

And yet it doesn't have to be an obsolete idea if tickets didn't cost so much.

I am a kid from Islington and I had no problems going to games. All the houses around that area, including my Nonna's, who lives a two minute walk from the stadium, are over 800k

Quite expensive really. Maybe you're just a bit out of touch.

Nobody has a right to go watch any football team. you either pay or you do not. Lots of people are priced out of many things, that is a way of life.

And for a sport as widely followed by all classes - but mostly the working class - , there should be a process that ensures that every fan who wants to see their team play isn't priced out of doing so.

It just seems a lot of people are salty because they can not go to games. What right do you have to go to games? NONE.

You want to go then pay, if you dont then watch your streams online.

Arsenal could charge another £40-50 a game and still sell out. Supply and demand. They would be fools not to take advantage of it.

Slizz

At a certain point isn't the working class satisfied with cheaper booze at a pub, the game on all TV's and other like fans around them?

Thats whats been happening to the NFL lately. People staying home or going to a bar to watch the game rather than pay the price of admission and inflated food and beverage prices.

Meier

For what it's worth, the Arsenal prices are pretty much on par with American football (both college and NFL) at major teams/schools. It's about $450 for the cheapest season ticket for the University of Texas where I work (that gets you 6 tickets). If you buy them, you also get a chance to pay another $120 (entry level price) for a ticket to a neutral site game against Oklahoma University. Many universities require you to be a booster to get season tickets and that may cost anywhere from $600 to $1,000s per year.

There are some NFL teams that have waiting lists that are estimated at over 100 years long, lol.

Wilbur

Banned
It just seems a lot of people are salty because they can not go to games. What right do you have to go to games? NONE.

Arsenal could charge another £40-50 a game and still sell out. Supply and demand. They would be fools not to take advantage of it.

I want to go but I don't have the money to go, what then? They're not mutually exclusive concepts.

At a certain point isn't the working class satisfied with cheaper booze at a pub, the game on all TV's and other like fans around them?

Thats whats been happening to the NFL lately. People staying home or going to a bar to watch the game rather than pay the price of admission and inflated food and beverage prices.

I'd rather pay 25 quid and go watch my team live than spend nothing and sit at home watching it on the telly, but when it costs me X amount to get to Manchester in the first place and then another 50-60 quid on top of that, I'm being priced out of it as opposed to be wholly satisfied.

Linius

I don't mind paying entrance to games or concerts. But the food and drinks are just priced at insane amounts. I really think that if they would go with rather normal prices they'd sell way more in the end. I mean I set my budget at maybe 15 euros for a couple of beers at a concert. If they make it cheaper I won't adjust my budget but I can finally drink more beer for my money :p

Make the price be as high as possible
Fuck everyone who can't afford it
Why?
Coz they can
So it's alright
I'm gonna kill some birds
okay?

Tc91

I don't mind paying entrance to games or concerts. But the food and drinks are just priced at insane amounts. I really think that if they would go with rather normal prices they'd sell way more in the end. I mean I set my budget at maybe 15 euros for a couple of beers at a concert. If they make it cheaper I won't adjust my budget but I can finally drink more beer for my money :p

Went to the MEN last weekend and the prices for a pint are just so stupid.

We ended going to a pub called Sinclair's before we went in which is just round the corner, 4 pints of Guiness came to £8-something, just over £2 a pint. No wonder the place was absolutely packed.

Slizz

I want to go but I don't have the money to go, what then? They're not mutually exclusive concepts.

I'd rather pay 25 quid and go watch my team live than spend nothing and sit at home watching it on the telly, but when it costs me X amount to get to Manchester in the first place and then another 50-60 quid on top of that, I'm being priced out of it as opposed to be wholly satisfied.

I understand that, I feel like trying to see your football team is like me trying to see the Heat.

It's a whole lot easier to go see the Heat in a decent seat, lower bowl against the Milwaukee Bucks than see the Lakers, Thunder, Knicks, etc.

You kinda just have to pick and choose which games you can attend during the long season.

Wilbur

Banned
Have you seen the houses around that area? they are big and nice.

flats go for half a million there.

Not really out of touch. I know the area.

Well, you are. Here's your problem:

I am a kid from Islington and I had no problems going to games. All the houses around that area, including my Nonna's, who lives a two minute walk from the stadium, are over 800k

You're a kid who grew up in an area where 800k houses were the norm. Of course you can afford it, so when you say "fuck it, pay or stop crying", it's no skin off your back.

then save and go once you have saved up. It is also a fair system that they grade matches. You do not want to spend lots of money then go watch Arsenal vs West brok or stoke. Or go to the cheap Carling cup games.

Linius

In other news, I'm going to Ajax - Milan for free. With a food arrangement and free drinks included.

It can help if your mum works at one of the bigger sponsors of your favourite club.

Well, you are. Here's your problem:

You're a kid who grew up in an area where 800k houses were the norm. Of course you can afford it, so when you say "fuck it, pay or stop crying", it's no skin off your back.

My house is not worth that, I grew up a twenty minute walk from the stadium in an average area.

I could not afford to go to every game so I selected a few and would put money away for them. Some years I did not get to see Arsenal, but I did not cry foul about prices.

Slizz

It really is down to supply and demand. Even if they don't sell out but get it greater than 75% full(probably even less than that) at the current prices + concessions and merchandise it still works out in their favor.

Business is business and in this day and age every sports team is essentially a corporation.

Shanks D Zoro, I assume you would be fine with Arsenal never spending money on players since the fans will continue to come to games anyway. After all, bigger profits that way, and that is what matters in the end. Right?

Wilbur

Banned
Went to the MEN last weekend and the prices for a pint are just so stupid.

We ended going to a pub called Sinclair's before we went in which is just round the corner, 4 pints of Guiness came to £8-something, just over £2 a pint. No wonder the place was absolutely packed.

I went out in Twicks last night to Wetherspoons with a bunch of freshers vouchers; gourmet burger and a beer for 5 quid, two cocktail pitchers for a tenner, and then I got a round of 6 drinks for 12.50.

I fucking love Spoons.

then save and go once you have saved up. It is also a fair system that they grade matches. You do not want to spend lots of money then go watch Arsenal vs West brok or stoke. Or go to the cheap Carling cup games.

I don't want to see Arsenal at all, I don't support them.

But say I save for a ticket for United. I then have the problem that no one else in my family supports United, or none of my close friends. That would require someone else spending 40 quid on a train ticket and 50 quid on a match ticket to go see a side they don't support against one of the league's lower teams.

And irrespective of my personal problems with money and/or finding someone to go see a game with me, its absolutely ludicrous to argue that tickets aren't too expensive. Do people still pay for them regularly? Yep, and I think it's fucking dumb. Do people willingly hand over 1200 quid of their own money for an Arsenal season ticket? Yes, and its ridiculous.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Football is a business now.

It's the only way to keep up with the big boys. And when I say big boys I mean Barca and Madrid.

Fuck Barca and Madrid.

Wilbur

Banned
In other news, I'm going to Ajax - Milan for free. With a food arrangement and free drinks included.

It can help if your mum works at one of the bigger sponsors of your favourite club.

you fucker

go to kip

My house is not worth that, I grew up a twenty minute walk from the stadium in an average area.

I could not afford to go to every game so I selected a few and would put money away for them. Some years I did not get to see Arsenal, but I did not cry foul about prices.

Then how is your nonna's house price relevant?

Football is a business now.

It's the only way to keep up with the big boys.

The thing is, if every single team had a wage cap, a ticket price cap, and so on and so forth, it would be better. You can't argue that it has to be in order to keep up when you have Bayern and Dortmund making huge strides with fantastically priced tickets.

Linius

What are the minimum prices for games from the bigger EPL clubs? Over here if I wanna see Ajax play a regular season game (so not against clubs like Feyenoord or PSV) I can buy a ticket for the second ring (pretty high up) fairly cheap. For example, our home game tomorrow against a newly promoted club.

o0htAI6.png

Those thirty euros tickets are decent seats on the long side of the stadium.

my mate met wilf on a night out a week ago

http://instagram.com/p/ejBqdwDG79/

Why does Zaha always have this debbie downer look? :lol

jx6O7r97CCx2O.jpg

So happy to see Will Keane back, wonder if he would have pushed to the first team had he not been injured so badly and for so long.

Andreas looks alright in this video, like his technique it's solid. Hopefully he has a good year in the 21's and can help the Academy team in the Youth Cup. Would be good to set him up for a loan next year.

Bury had some overage players and their youth were all big as well. No surprise that the best players for United were the more physically mature players.

Daehli with the assist (a simple touch) towards the end of the video. He's in the blue number 7 kit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7j_gWNtklY

I went out in Twicks last night to Wetherspoons with a bunch of freshers vouchers; gourmet burger and a beer for 5 quid, two cocktail pitchers for a tenner, and then I got a round of 6 drinks for 12.50.

I fucking love Spoons.

I don't want to see Arsenal at all, I don't support them.

But say I save for a ticket for United. I then have the problem that no one else in my family supports United, or none of my close friends. That would require someone else spending 40 quid on a train ticket and 50 quid on a match ticket to go see a side they don't support against one of the league's lower teams.

And irrespective of my personal problems with money and/or finding someone to go see a game with me, its absolutely ludicrous to argue that tickets aren't too expensive. Do people still pay for them regularly? Yep, and I think it's fucking dumb. Do people willingly hand over 1200 quid of their own money for an Arsenal season ticket? Yes, and its ridiculous.

Sometimes I went to games by myself. Was no problem for me. Why is it dumb if people are willing to spend money on something that they want. Some people think it is dumb to spend thousands on a PC rig or even hundreds on a console. None of these things are god given rights.

Sviatoslav said:
Shanks D Zoro, I assume you would be fine with Arsenal never spending money on players since the fans will continue to come to games anyway. After all, bigger profits that way, and that is what matters in the end. Right?

No I want Arsenal to spend money and see an increase in shirt sales from new signings. I think it is save to say Ozil will be the most sold shirt this year and next with the new puma shirt.

RM know that you spend money to make money

Meier

Awesome! Hope they win for your sake. Didn't you say you hadn't been to a UCL game before or something?

Slizz

Salary caps are the best thing to happen to the NBA and NFL, and the lack of a salary cap is why the MLB is on a decline now.

EDIT: I drove to the the Chelsea Madrid game in Miami with my boy but we sat in separate seats. I had no problem watching by myself.

Wilbur

Banned
Why does Zaha always have this debbie downer look? :lol

jx6O7r97CCx2O.jpg

craig_hart
'Are you gunna smile?' .. *pulls same face*

loooooool poor Wilf

What are the minimum prices for games from the bigger EPL clubs? Over here if I wanna see Ajax play a regular season game (so not against clubs like Feyenoord or PSV) I can buy a ticket for the second ring (pretty high up) fairly cheap. For example, our home game tomorrow against a newly promoted club.

Those thirty euros tickets are decent seats on the long side of the stadium.

These tickets vs Southampton, the white box in the upper right corner - so as high as you can possibly be in Old Trafford - are £45 for adult members. I'd get one for £34.50 because I'm 20 and the under 16 tickets are only £13 but like I say, it's not the best seat selection

TVNNdg3.png

Btw guys, if you hate the profit driven attitudes that have permeated throughout football then I suggest you guys watch the Russian League since none of our clubs are profitable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom