• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT7| The Ramsey Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunchbox

Banned
I read fans were cheering for him lol

barcelona fans cheering for crooks and cheats? shock!

MaIvd91.gif

I think it's around the time to start panicking about Adnan's contract. Fuck fuck fuck fuck.

It's October already. I have no hope. But don't worry, at least Ashley Young will still be plying his trade down our left wing:

“Ashley played against Crystal Palace and probably won us the game,” said Moyes. “He got us a penalty and was through with a chance to score another goal.
“He didn’t play particularly well against City, but you could probably have picked another half-a-dozen who didn’t.

It's forgiveable at the start of the season but Moyes should have learned something from playing Phil Neville over Barkley.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Hyped for today's match. It's amazing how much the team has improved from a year ago when we lost this fixture. 4-2. Team that played that day was:

Friedel
Walker Gallas Caulker Vertonghen
Sandro Huddlestone
Lennon Dempsey Sigurdsson
Defoe

Today we wil see:

Lloris
Walker Dawson Vertonghen Rose
Paulinho Dembele
Townsend Eriksen Sigurdsson
Soldado

Hyped for today's match. It's amazing how much the team has improved from a year ago when we lost this fixture. 4-2. Team that played that day was:

Friedel
Sandro Huddlestone
Defoe

Today we wil see:

Lloris
Paulinho Dembele
Soldado

Why no Lamela? What is the point of signing him and playing Townsend???

Lightning

Banned

Friedel
Sandro Huddlestone
Defoe

Today we wil see:

Lloris
Paulinho Dembele
Soldado
What do you make of this AVB vs Mourinho war of words between the two?

And yeah with that team you have a good chance. Hope you can at least get a draw from this one. Please don't bloody lose, really want a Spurs win here.

Salvadora

Jamie Carragher has written an article titled: 'Why I want us all to be Arsenal fans for a season'.

I knew I always loved that man.

Arnie

Bit of an odd statement from Owen. I'd say it's Arsenal and Spurs who look most like top four sides. Arsenal in particular have made winning look formulaic since that defeat to Villa, and they're improving their play with every game. Spurs are improving, too. Eriksen has made a massive difference and they've got the creativity in the team now to carve out a hatful of chances, which will lead to them bulldozing a few guff teams.

About to lay on an accy.

3Sixty

Nicola Cortese, 45 year old from Catanzaro di Lido, rampant career in the world of Swiss banking decided to venture into the maze of the football world whilst maintaining a low profile. For 4 years he has been at the head of Southampton, the English club of the Premier League where Pablo Osvaldo has taken refuge after the poisons of the Romanisti (Roma fans) & Romans, but his figure still retains something of a mystery.

Few are aware of the fact that this Italian with Swiss mentality ("here now I consider myself English") sits in the office as "chairman, general director, sporting director, I am like a Galliani (CEO of AC Milan) across the channel"

Cortese the gold tie.

Manager

City - Bayern still not sold out. They are in full PR mode right now, members are being called by a message spoken by Kompany, there's a ad for it before every video on the website... price £48 (jr £25), a bit expensive but it's still the CL champions. All PL games in the last couple of years sold out but CL seems harder, I guess it's because mid-week and shown on TV.

Blablurn

City - Bayern still not sold out. They are in full PR mode right now, members are being called by a message spoken by Kompany, there's a ad for it before every video on the website... price £48 (jr £25), a bit expensive but it's still the CL champions. All PL games in the last couple of years sold out but CL seems harder, I guess it's because mid-week and shown on TV.

step up ur game!

Tc91

Yeah mid week people have work the next day and the car parks at the Etihad are an absolute nightmare to get out of.

Manager

Complete drivel. Arsenal have amassed a ridiculous amount of points since they lost to Spurs last season. They've dropped something like 7 points out of 45.

It might be hard to understand how Wenger is doing it but their form is title-winning standard.

One fair bit though:
You would tend to give Arsène Wenger the benefit of the doubt but the depth of quality is not yet there in this squad. If Aaron Ramsey and Olivier Giroud went back to being the players they were last year Arsenal would start to look fairly average by their standards.

Theo Walcott is now missing for a few games, and without that depth of quality I wonder how many players they have who are capable of winning trophies.

The Özil deal lifted the spirits of Arsenal fans, and kept the critics quiet, but they still need a couple more of that calibre to be considered title contenders. Giroud has made an excellent start to the season, but, again, he would not make the starting XIs of Manchester United or City. If United have an injury to Wayne Rooney or Robin van Persie they can call on Javier Hernandez or Danny Welbeck. City can choose from Alvaro Negredo, Edin Dzeko and Sergio Agüero. Giroud is a very good player, but no Henry, Wright or Van Persie.

Or, if they were injured.

But this is a bit ridiculous:
If you can’t beat them, you just have to join them, even if the prices are inflated. Wenger stood back from that until the Özil transfer, which, I suspect, was to ease the pressure building from Arsenal’s fans, who were angry that no marquee signing had been made earlier in the summer. It was too late to bring two or three in, so they went for one superstar, whatever the cost, to keep everyone content.

I think I read somewhere that transfer had been going on for weeks? Plus, I mean, surely he can't believe you'd panic buy in the last day and bid £40m just to please the fans.

Manager

Yeah mid week people have work the next day and the car parks at the Etihad are an absolute nightmare to get out of.

Didn't know that, they have the new subway station up and running since a while back right? Do you think the re-building of everything will make it better?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The Shining's sequel

With Doctor Sleep, Stephen King returns to the characters and territory of one of his previous novels, The Shining. The novel features the now middle-aged Dan Torrance (the boy protagonist of The Shining) and the twelve-year-old girl, Abra Stone, that he must save from The True Knot. Led by Rose the Hat, this group of almost immortal travelers criss-cross the country, periodically feeding on the psychic energy (which they call "steam") of children with the gift of "the shining." Dan drifted for decades in an attempt to escape his father's legacy, but eventually settled in a New Hampshire town and works in a nursing home, where his remnant mental abilities provide comfort to the dying. With the aid of a cat that can foresee the future, Dan becomes "Doctor Sleep." After meeting Abra Stone, an epic war between good and evil ensues
Republican-Cry-baby-Gif.gif

Tc91

Didn't know that, they have the new subway station up and running since a while back right? Do you think the re-building of everything will make it better?

Yeah they have the metrolink up and running. Not sure really, probably doesn't help when they have to let people cross the road to get to the car park.

Mansour should build some bridges there he has enough money anyway.

Arnie

Jesus, for someone who types like he's deeply concussed, Andre Wisdom's fairly fucking eloquent. Especially for a youth player. Not an erm to be seen.

Manager

Ushojax

Anyone think Spurs can win today?

I can't see it. Chelsea have an excellent record against them.

Chelsea have won one out of the last 5 matches at White Hart Lane. We have won 2, drawn 2 and lost 1. The defeat was last season and Bale, Dembele, Kaboul, Assou-Ekotto and Lloris were all missing.

We have a full strength team today (hopefully) so I think we can give it a good go.

Hindle

Banned
Chelsea have won one out of the last 5 matches at White Hart Lane. We have won 2, drawn 2 and lost 1. The defeat was last season and Bale, Dembele, Kaboul, Assou-Ekotto and Lloris were all missing.

We have a full strength team today (hopefully) so I think we can give it a good go.

If they can win today then Spurs are genuine title contenders IMO.

I think I read somewhere that transfer had been going on for weeks? Plus, I mean, surely he can't believe you'd panic buy in the last day and bid £40m just to please the fans.

Only happened in the last couple of days. RM offered him in the last couple of weeks of the transfer window to various clubs. Arsenal only acted on it with not long remaining.

There were false rumours on the deadline day that Ozil had been in London a week earlier to do official photos.

Arnie

If they can win today then Spurs are genuine title contenders IMO.

The season's far too long to be calling that now.

Everyone called them title contenders last year when they beat United and were fairly close to the top at Christmas. Then they slipped somewhat, then they got beat by us, and then they slipped out of Champions League qualification.

I think they've got a great squad but there's a long way to go.

If Spurs had kept Bale, then I could have seen them as title contenders.

Alas, they don't have him and they'll challenge for a CL place instead

Everyone called them title contenders last year when they beat United and were fairly close to the top at Christmas. Then they slipped somewhat, then they got beat by us, and then they slipped out of Champions League qualification.

Do you mean the season before? We were 13 points from the top at Christmas last season.

Hindle

Banned

Well it is too early, but I'd say this year, they're not a one man team. The result against Cardif showed team spirit. With the rumours they're going to buy new players in Jan, you never know.

Ushojax

Oh FFS Rose didn't make it. Naughton's horrendous as a LB I'm worried now.

BAE why did they send you away...

Spurs team: Lloris, Walker, Dawson, Vertonghen, Naughton, Dembele, Paulinho, Eriksen, Townsend, Sigurdsson, Soldado

Chelsea:Cech; Ivanovic, D Luiz, Terry (c), Cole; Mikel, Lampard; Ramires, Oscar, Hazard; Torres.

sohois

Well it is too early, but I'd say this year, they're not a one man team. The result against Cardif showed team spirit. With the rumours they're going to buy new players in Jan, you never know.
th cardiff result shows little, we can't really draw much from such a small sample. its perfectly possible for results to come in long streams of wins and losses as well so their good form thus far doesn't tell us much either.
i wouldn't think too much about January either - spurs already have a good deep squad
the only way to improve now is to add a real world class player and they typically don't move in January, or move for ridiculous sums

It's interesting to note the stark contrast in the atmosphere surrounding the club [Arsenal] and Wenger after a difficult transfer window. We went into the North London derby with a realisation that after years of failure and stagnant development, that these once lowly-rivals had now eclipsed us in ambition. We won the game, though not convincingly. But it was the sort of afternoon where winning meant a statement and it was a statement to ourselves that we needed more than anything else.

Cue deadline transfer day and we still hadn't signed anyone and pending managerial contract extensions lead to whispers of discontent. Ozil signs and has a brilliant debut; everything changes.

But the memory of his debut first half performance cant sustain our excitement forever. Truth is, we were questionable in the second half and awful for both halves against Marseille. The following fixture at home to Stoke was woeful in every regard. We face an arguably better footballing-side next who are in good form. Few now expect an easy tie at the Liberty Stadium.

We absolutely need the win today to continue our run - the sort of run champions make. But to convince ourselves and others, we need to start performing on a consistent basis; we need to improve our passing, our movement and play the ball faster. We don't do that enough. We don't dominate periods of games enough.

Before we can think about league table positions - which seems to dominate talk of most teams - we need to take a closer look at how effective our approach is because there has been an alarming drop in our technical ability over the last few years.

justjohn

Arsenal's season so far is no different from their previous seasons. Start well, fall of by January and sneak fourth. Rinse and repeat. Not sure why their fans think this is something new.

Arsenal's season so far is no different from their previous seasons. Start well, fall of by January and sneak fourth. Rinse and repeat. Not sure why their fans think this is something new.

Probably because last season they didn't start so well, so this seems like change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom