• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT7| The Ramsey Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixx

Who do you want to be your manager?

I honestly do not know who I want.

What I do not want is Poyet or Meulensteen or Pulis or Stuart fucking Pearce.

Honestly of all the names linked McClaren is the only one who isn't an immediate 'oh god no'. And even then he's not exactly a unanimous 'yes!' choice either.

Grim times.

Arnie

Joe Kinnear.

Peter Reid

pls

I honestly do not know who I want.

What I do not want is Poyet or Meulensteen or Pulis or Stuart fucking Pearce.

Honestly of all the names linked McClaren is the only one who isn't an immediate 'oh god no'. And even then he's not exactly a unanimous 'yes!' choice either.

Grim times.
To be honest I think Meulensteen could be a good shout.

Given what everyone says about him, and the experience he's got, he could be a masterstroke.

Look at Steve Clarke at West Brom. Just because he's only been a first team coach doesn't mean he can't be a decent manager.

Labadal

Pogba really needs to step up. He is always going on about following in the footsteps of Pirlo, but he is just not as visionary right now and he does not control the teams passing. It really worries me the lack of a playmaker in midfield when Pirlo is gone. It will come back to haunt Juve that we did not get Veratti.

So far all of Juve's best moments have come with quick attacks from the bag.

I'm late, but lol. Maybe pogba reads gaf on the pitch.

Yen

Given what everyone says about him, and the experience he's got, he could be a masterstroke.

Look at Steve Clarke at West Brom. Just because he's only been a first team coach doesn't mean he can't be a decent manager.

I agree.

Fady K

This has been an awful week, both in football and real life.

After Man City handed us our asses last weekend, I hoped that United would be able to bounce back. Seeing our game against Liverpool brought my spirits back up somewhat; watching our performance, at home, against West Brom was nothing short of disappointing. I'm not out for Moyes Blood yet; it's still early days, plus I didn't expect that it waould be an easy road this year with a new manager. It's just that seeing us win would have really made me happy this weekend... since one of my brothers died this past Thursday.

He was hospitalised with meningitis a year ago, which was when they discovered an abnormality with his heart. They asked him to come back this year so they could operate on it, which was when they found the condition of his heart had deteriorated. Only one of his ventricles was pumping blood, and was overworked because of it; the other one was severely deteriorated, and they had to give him medication and keep him hospitalised until he was well enough to operate.

The operation was successful, or so we all thought. I saw him for the last time when he was leaving the hospital, smiling and talking to his wife and stepson. I left him with a promise to visit him at home to check up on him... a promise which, due to work, I wasn't able to fulfill. He went back to the hospital last Sunday; his heart gave out early Thursday. I heard he was in the hospital on Wednesday; my plan was to go see him on Friday.

Life is a cruel mistress.

I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your brother mate. May he rest in peace.

Linius

in5UQP8kQJYvz.gif

Hixx

He has been a manager.

biffile0_ollzpm9hw50kwy6uf8lz_37605.jpg

I'd rather go with Ball if we decided to go down the inexperienced route again. Knows the area, what the fans expect and has been excellent with the u21s. Played a big part in Henderson's break through.

But I'd prefer experience. Can't bring in another like Di Canio else we will get relegated.

arkon

lol Torino

It's like they only realized they were 1-0 down about 10 minutes from the end of the game and actually started to attack. Maybe should have done that a bit earlier eh?

Arnie

He has been a manager.

biffile0_ollzpm9hw50kwy6uf8lz_37605.jpg

I'd rather go with Ball if we decided to go down the inexperienced route again. Knows the area, what the fans expect and has been excellent with the u21s. Played a big part in Henderson's break through.

But I'd prefer experience. Can't bring in another like Di Canio else we will get relegated.
I'll rate anyone who rates Henderson.

You guys just need stability. I do think Meulensteen is a good shout, though. Think he could command respect despite his managerial inexperience.
Is this your ploy to get Sunderland relegated?
No, I quite like Sunderland. Far more than Newcastle.

Proper footballing team, an actual big club. Big in their day.

And they spawned this fucking GOD:

iwSc3cXzfTL97.gif

bjaelke

You guys just need stability. I do think Meulensteen is a good shout, though. Think he could command respect despite his managerial inexperience.
Right before kick off we're gathered in the dresser, and Rene pulls out a whiteboard. One by one he points at us and ask us to tell what animal we are on the field. People are a bit hesitant, but okay, he's the boss, so we have to give it a try. As the captain I start out by saying I'm a snake.

"No, no, Per, dammit. That's no good," Rene exclaims.

"Snakes are slow animals, we can't have snakes in the defense, we'll just get outrun by the Germans."

"Then I'm a tiger. Is that okay?"

"Yes, that's perfect. A tiger is brave, fast and strong. It's exactly what we need in a captain."

By the end of the exercise Rene has drawn the starting lineup consisting of a tiger, a fox, an elephant, a giraffe and a bunch of other animals. He's going to field a zoo against the Germans.

"This is terrific, boys, we have smart, fast and cunning animals on the fields today. We can't lose today."

Then he said a couple of words about the tactics, but no one was paying any attention because they were still baffled by the whiteboard with the animals on it. And then he just left the room.

We just sat there and looked at each other. Then one guy started laughing. Soon everyone was bursting out and asking what the fuck this guy was doing?

This was the most important game that Autumn, and Rene's tactical preparation was a game of farm animals?!

Hixx

This is like when Howard Wilkinson called a team meeting at SAFC. He got them all in, brought in a video player. Stuck a video in, pressed play and left.

It was a nature documentary about birds and how they fly in formation.

It finishes, he comes back in and says "do you understand, now?"

Arnie

Holy shit.

Reading Red or Dead, did not know Matt Busby convinced Shankly not to resign after a few months in the job. The board weren't sanctioning the deals that Shankly really wanted and they'd had a terrible start to the 60/61 season.

Bob and Bill just had their first boot room encounter.

Yen

Holy shit.

Reading Red or Dead, did not know Matt Busby convinced Shankly not to resign after a few months in the job. The board weren't sanctioning the deals that Shankly really wanted and they'd had a terrible start to the 60/61 season.

Bob and Bill just had their first boot room encounter.
Think Shankly was annoyed he wasn't given money to sign Denis Law?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom