• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT9|

FootballFan

great match. go chile!!!!
great match for alexis sanchez, finally he is becoming the player we need.

He has stepped it up massively this season for Barca and Chile. I was praying to sell him last season lol.

I think he has like 11 goals in his last 9 games for Barca/Chile.

bud

there's very little difference between messi and ronaldo at this point--they're both very prolific goal scorers. messi used to have his magnificent dribbles, but in the past year or so, he's become more of a direct player like ronaldo. i suppose ronaldo's stats are more impressive due the the fact that a] he's playing on the wing rather than in the middle, and b] the team he's playing in is less consistent.

Fuck Portugal winning, fuck Ukraine winning.

This is the true story of the day.

umm351P.jpg

Kinan

France are shit. They have never made proper use of Ribery's talent, frankly I'm not sure if they've made proper use of any great talent in the past few years.

Actually its a very strong team. And the Dechams tactic for this games has actually impressed me a lot, he put a lot of effort to shut down our magnificient wingers, and it worked. But in turn we got a bit more space in the middle, which our CMs desperatly needed. This all resulted in a more or less stalemate where everyone was looking for errors to get some chances. normally ukraine loses such battles against big teams due to lower class of attacking players, but today God was with us.

Wilbur

Banned
To be fair, it's still disrespectful to the other competitors. It's not as if Ronaldo has won much in the past season and he wasn't exactly mindblowing against Dortmund either. He's good, even great, but he's not the best in the world. Messi was shit against Bayern as well, but at least he has an excuse.

At this point he comes off a bit as bitter.

... what? "Good, even great, not the best in the world"

He's the second best in the world against a roided phenomenon

what else does he have to do :lol. I'll tell you what's fucking disrespectful, the head of FIFA coming out and saying the things he did.

FootballFan

Cool. This secures Messi's win, which should make the whole event even more laughably embarrassing for Fifa.

lol cr fans so angry and always pretend they don't care about these awards, all these conspiracies make it just that much funnier.

You should all be happy Ronaldo does well enough to even get mentioned in Messi's era. Instead all you do is complain he doesn't win ballon d'ors.

Ribery will win this one because Messi was injured in the most important stages last season and because again this season he got injured. Before his injury this season he had more goals/assists than ronaldo or ribery, and he wasn't 3rd in a 2 team league, he was 1st.

Injuries are the only thing that can stop GOAT from doing his thing. Injuries and Chelsea.

iKKAmDXznGDTa.gif

pulga

Banned
All I'm gonna say is if Messi won it over Sneijder back in 2010, no reason why Cristiano shouldn't win it this year.

He's been the best player in 2013, it's not even up for discussion. Ribery is good, but not consistently good like Ronaldo.

Muller should've been Bayern's contender.

Wilbur

Banned
Blatter's a douche, news at eleven. What's next? You telling me he's corrupt? NO WAY!!!

He should show up and show respect towards the other competitors. And the whole "Messi is roided, Ronaldo is legit" shit is annoying as well.

Joking on the roids, baby. But Messi is a phenomenon. The best I think I'll ever see. And Ronaldo has pretty much matched him step for step over the last few years. What else does he need to do to be deemed worthy of winning it? 'Good, great, not the best'? He's second behind a legit freak of nature. That's fucking great for him. He's been better than Ribery for sure, in a weaker team.

He probably should show up, yeah. But I can't blame him when the head of the organisation in charge of the award is already dissing him.

that's adorable. what's the story behind it?

Kid that beat leukemia getting a Make-A-Wish by turning San Fran into Gotham. It's a fucking gorgeous story. It's in Off-Topic. Really made me smile.

Trouble is brewing in Gotham City. The Riddler is on the loose. The Penguin is up to no good. A damsel is in distress.

But never fear. Batkid is coming to the rescue.

San Francisco will be transformed into Gotham on Friday as 5-year-old Miles, who has successfully battled leukemia, will get to save the day as the superhero Batkid. The event is the culmination of a youngster's fertile imagination, the efforts of the Make-A-Wish Foundation and the power of social media.

About 12,000 people have signed up to help make the boy's fantasy of being a caped crusader come true, thanks to the feel-good story going viral on the Internet. They will cheer on the pint-size champion as he foils elaborately staged, nefarious plots and captures evildoers throughout San Francisco, uh, Gotham

There´s a thread in the Off-Topic with more pics.

Walshy

A five year old beats leukemia and gives one wish to the make a wish foundation: to be batman for the day.

San Francisco then turns into Gotham City for the day, with the kid stopping The Riddler at a bank etc. Even the San Francisco chronicle change it's name to the Gotham City Chronicle on it's front page :lol.

Clegg

A five year old beats leukemia and gives one wish to the make a wish foundation: to be batman for the day.

San Francisco then turns into Gotham City for the day, with the kid stopping The Riddler at a bank etc. Even the San Francisco chronicle change it's name to the Gotham City Chronicle on it's front page :lol.
The San Fran DA has even filed charges against the Riddler.

They're pulling all the stops on this one.

pulga

Banned
What else does Ronaldo need to do to win ballon d'or?

Show up at the CL semifinals. Win the CL or at least reach the final. He has had an amazing team for years, he had one of the best trainers in the world.

Against Bayern he was mostly invisible in 2012. Got a laughable penalty and scored it in the second leg. Missed his penalty at the end. In 2013 he wasn't exactly amazing against Dortmund either.

Close decisions against great teams you might say and you'd be right, but at the end I would say this separates the great from the best.

Not how it works. Best player individually, team success shouldn't factor in.

Or at least that's what I've learned the last couple of years.

Wilbur

Banned

Show up at the CL semifinals. Win the CL or at least reach the final. He has had an amazing team for years, he had one of the best trainers in the world.

Against Bayern he was mostly invisible in 2012. Got a laughable penalty and scored it in the second leg. Missed his penalty at the end.

In 2013 he wasn't exactly amazing against Dortmund either.

See for me, this is the same argument as "Messi isn't the best because he hasn't done it at the World Cup". It's a year long award, not who turned up in some big games. Can that qualify as a sign of greatness? Sure. But that's not the award, that's why you have Best Player of the CL and best player of the WC awards.

I'm not especially arguing Ronaldo should win the Ballon d'Or. But Messi missed a pen against Chelsea in the semis in 2012. Didn't even win the league that year. Ronaldo was better in the Clasicos.

Was he the best player for the year 2012? Yes.

It's ridiculous extrapolating his impact on one or two games in order to sum up his performances across the entire calendar year, when the Ballon d'Or is - theoretically anyway - an award based on a player's performances from January to December.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Oh good, Eriksen's out for 6 weeks with an ankle injury.

Time to play Lamela down the middle.

pulga

Banned
Okay, in 2013 he sucked against Dortmund and unlike Messi he had no excuse.

Maybe next year Ronaldo. Maybe you won't suck in the CL semifinal. Until then, rack up goals and assists against shit teams and reach second or third place in La Liga.

Good. He's not the best individually.

Edit:
And again, you can count his goals and assists as much as you want, the best player in the world should show up when it matters.

You actually believe Ribery is a better player than Ronaldo?

Please take your blinders off.

Lightning

Banned

Against Bayern he was mostly invisible in 2012. Got a laughable penalty and scored it in the second leg. Missed his penalty at the end. In 2013 he wasn't exactly amazing against Dortmund either.

Close decisions against great teams you might say and you'd be right, but at the end I would say this separates the great from the best. When I think of Messi I think of this uncontrollable, unstoppable whirlwind. When I think of Ronaldo I think of a very talented, very good player.
Ronaldo got himself sent off in the cup final against Atletico as well.

jtb

Banned
See for me, this is the same argument as "Messi isn't the best because he hasn't done it at the World Cup". It's a year long award, not who turned up in some big games. Can that qualify as a sign of greatness? Sure. But that's not the award, that's why you have Best Player of the CL and best player of the WC awards.

I'm not especially arguing Ronaldo should win the Ballon d'Or. But Messi missed a pen against Chelsea in the semis in 2012. Didn't even win the league that year. Ronaldo was better in the Clasicos.

Was he the best player for the year 2012? Yes.

It's ridiculous extrapolating his impact on one or two games in order to sum up his performances across the entire calendar year, when the Ballon d'Or is - theoretically anyway - an award based on a player's performances from January to December.

this is a bad argument. those one or two games just happen to be the one or two most important games of the season. of course they should be weighed more heavily. the ballon d'or should've gone to either Pirlo or Drogba in 2012. you know it's true.

also Sneijder was robbed

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
You actually believe Ribery is a better player than Ronaldo?

Nah, he isn't, obviously.

But he had a better year, winning everything and playing a keyrole in their big games.

Sure, Ronaldo scored more, he can take the Golden Boot.

this is a bad argument. those one or two games just happen to be the one or two most important games of the season. of course they should be weighed more heavily. the ballon d'or should've gone to either Pirlo or Drogba in 2012. you know it's true.

also Sneijder was robbed

Hear hear

Wilbur

Banned
Edit:
And again, you can count his goals and assists as much as you want, the best player in the world should show up when it matters most.

Which he did do in 2012 when it mattered most to them; the winner at the Nou Camp was a fucking huge goal for him and the team. Basically won them the league.

Fernando Torres scored the deciding goal in the semi finals against Barcelona whereas Ronaldo did nothing against Bayern.

Did Torres have a better year?

Come on man. No. Your argument is basically ridding 49 games a player manages in a calendar year for one, and then arguing that's enough to decide a year long award on.

Might as well say Ben Watson scored the winner in the FA Cup final, he turned up, Ronaldo didn't, Watson > Ronaldo. I might be being disingenuous, fuck it. You can't argue a year long award should be judged on one or two games. Every game is important. Every game. If you don't classify every game as important, then you don't win shit.

Top Bottom