• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT9|

wedward

if Drogba hadn't fucked off to China, he should have won.

honestly, why didn't Torres win last year?

he basically won everything there was to win
scored the most goals in a competition (dat golden boot)
scored in important game (singular)
didn't fuck off to China

good enough for me. or if not Torres, then certainly Mata. you're overvaluing goals and significantly undervaluing winning.

Because its not an award for how well your team does. There are already awards for that. They are called trophies.

Suen

Great atitude from Ronaldo. Fuck that old piece of corrupt shit Blatter. Anyone who says Ronaldo isn't at this moment and in the last season the best in the world, is either blind or stupid.
Ronaldo now, Ramsey at the end of the season

#WelshRareBit

jtb

Banned
Because its not an award for how well your team does. There are already awards for that. They are called trophies.

There are already awards for scoring goals too.

It's how I do. ;) I didn't say that about Messi though! *shakes fist*

I said Bale was playing as well as Ronnie was at the time when he was just curling off jawdropping goals left and right earlier this year. Absolutely still stand by that. Bale was absolutely untouchable.

And yes, age does factor into whether one player is better than another. If you're 20 and doing the same thing as someone who is 28, you're a better than they are.

I think you might be playing too much FM.

pulga

Banned
jupp don't be ridiculous

Messi and Cristiano are two of the greatest the game has ever seen, and we're lucky we get to enjoy them both at the same time.

one thing is for sure

FIFA fucked up the Ballon d'Or.

FIFA is a shitstain on the fabric of football.

Elchele

jupp don't be ridiculous

Messi and Cristiano are two of the greatest the game has ever seen, and we're lucky we get to enjoy them both at the same time.

I just don't see anything beyond 'normal' in Cristiano, he's an amazing player but not something out of ordinary like Messi, Zidane or even Ronaldinho

Wilbur

Banned
I just don't see anything beyond 'normal' in Cristiano, he's an amazing player but not something out of ordinary like Messi or Zidane

giphy.gif

wedward

l
People forget how football was like before Ronaldo and Messi. You had a good season if you scored 25 goals with a handful of assists. These two have been pulling this off in half the time frame. It wil be interesting to see the state of the sport once they both retire.

Yup, people are spoiled right now. Don't realize just how much better those two are than everyone else.

jtb

Banned
when Messi and Barca last won the CL in 2011, he "only" scored 31 goals in the league (he actually scored more the season prior). Granted he still managed to score ~50 in all competitions, but it wasn't quite at the level it's at now. The seasons afterwards, where there's been a noticeable increase in his goal tally (50, 46), the team has been less effective against good opposition. I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest that Ronaldo and Messi's ridiculous goal tallies come at some expense of the team.

therefore winning is important.

FootballFan

If Ronaldo isn't awarded the ballon d'or I'm going to lose it. LOSE it.

He deserves it for scoring less, assisting less than messi. Coming 2nd(15 pts behind) in the league. Flopping hard as fuck in the Copa final and getting sent off. And for the amazing performances in the CL semi's vs dortmund. All under the best coach in history apparently.

Stop letting his magnificent season right now confuse you lads, he was scoring but he wasn't half as good as he is now from January to August.

And no I am not just hating, but pls guys, stop and think for a bit. Even right now his team is 3rd in the league still. Calma pls.

RIBERY 4 BALL ON DOOR.

Messi and Ronaldo can have a fist fight for 2nd spot, even though they are both more 'special' and better than Ribery.

Elchele

Scoring 50+ goals consistently each season isn't beyond normal? Ronaldo is also most probably the most athletic player the sport has ever seen.

I agree with the last part, like I said he's more an athlete than pure talent like Messi.

Scoring 50+ goals season. So Mario Gomez is another one of a kind? Don't see how the goals scored (also a lot from penalties) could work as indication of how good he is.

wedward

He deserves it for scoring less, assisting less than messi. Coming 2nd(15 pts behind) in the league. Flopping hard as fuck in the Copa final and getting sent off. And for the amazing performances in the CL semi's vs dortmund. All under the best coach in history apparently.

Stop letting his magnificent season right now confuse you lads, he was scoring but he wasn't half as good as he is now from January to August.

And no I am not just hating, but pls guys, stop and think for a bit. Even right now his team is 3rd in the league still. Calma pls.

RIBERY 4 BALL ON DOOR.

Messi and Ronaldo can have a fist fight for 2nd spot, even though they are both more 'special' and better than Ribery.

Why is your name football fan? The only thing you really talk about is Messi or Ronaldo. And when it is Ronaldo it's negative.

Wilbur

Banned
when Messi and Barca last won the CL in 2011, he "only" scored 31 goals in the league (he actually scored more the season prior). Granted he still managed to score ~50 in all competitions, but it wasn't quite at the level it's at now. The seasons afterwards, where there's been a noticeable increase in his goal tally (50, 46), the team has been less effective against good opposition. I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest that Ronaldo and Messi's ridiculous goal tallies come at some expense of the team.

That's just out of context though when you view it like that. In 2012, Ronaldo's better goal tally led to them winning the league. Messi got 73 goals in 2011/12, and the loss against Chelsea was a fucking freak let's be honest. They hit the post what, five times over two games? That wasn't just coming at the expense of the team, Chelsea's name was just written in the stars that year.

Last year, he had some big injuries around the crucial time of the CL, Xavi got older and was less effective, and Bayern had just matured. A tad reductive to say that Messi's goal tally comes at the expense of the team.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
wait a minute

Ronaldo scored less than Messi in 2013?!

Give it to Ramsey, FIFA.

Wilbur

Banned
I agree with the last part, like I said he's more an athlete than pure talent like Messi.

Scoring 50+ goals season. So Mario Gomez is another one of a kind? Don't see how the goals scored (also a lot from penalties) could work as indication of how good he is.

Mario Gomez has never scored 50 goals in a season :lol, what an odd player to pick.

wedward

Mario Gomez has never scored 50.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Gomez scores 35+ goals in two seasons

Bayern wins fuck all

Gomez on the bench for one season

Bayern wins everything

jtb is right.

FootballFan

I just don't see anything beyond 'normal' in Cristiano, he's an amazing player but not something out of ordinary like Messi, Zidane or even Ronaldinho

Jupp pls. Ronaldo is definitely special. unlike Zidane, Messi and Dinho he relies more on his athleticism but he is still a special footballer. Definitely haven't been and won't be many more like him.

The consistency he and Messi show is ridiculous. You genuinely are surprised/concerned if they don't score in 2 matches in a row. If you wake up and see that Real Madrid played, click the score on livescore.com you will again almost certainly see Ronaldo's name.

That is just insane imo. Messi is the better of the 2 but being 2nd to a god is nothing I'd be upset about.

Why is your name football fan? The only thing you really talk about is Messi or Ronaldo. And when it is Ronaldo it's negative.

Sorry I'll just join this Messi/Ronaldo/Ribery conversation and talk about Ivan Vicelich... lol what do you expect?

I wasn't talking about it until you guys did, I was talking about Sanchez being on fire and shitting on Wilshere, talking about the Sweden-Portugal match etc.

Wedward pls understand.

What they should do is have a Balon d'Or for each position: GK, DF, MF and AT

Obviously they have that UEFA best player thing but mehhhhh.

I'd probably go (for the entirety of the year 2013)

Courtois
Lahm
Vidal
Ronaldo

:lol why the fuck would that be a tragedy?

Willkiller on POINT

I've been saying this for decades too (I'm in my 20s, so two decades)

Fuck that man.

I can't even imagine how many undeserving cunts will win the award. We all know Pique, Xavi, etc... will win in their positions.

jtb

Banned
That's just out of context though when you view it like that. In 2012, Ronaldo's better goal tally led to them winning the league. Messi got 73 goals in 2011/12, and the loss against Chelsea was a fucking freak let's be honest. They hit the post what, five times over two games? That wasn't just coming at the expense of the team, Chelsea's name was just written in the stars that year.

Last year, he had some big injuries around the crucial time of the CL, Xavi got older and was less effective, and Bayern had just matured. A tad reductive to say that Messi's goal tally comes at the expense of the team.

Barcelona were poor against PSG also, had a terrible loss against a bad Milan side at the San Siro where they were legitimately awful. and the loss to Chelsea wasn't (completley) a freak result. They couldn't break them down. The missed penalty was a freak, but beyond that—they barely threatened for the 40 or so minutes after that.

Barcelona have been legitimately poor in the CL for the past year and a half, in the context of them being crowned one of the greatest club sides of all time just the year before, with likely the best player of all time in their squad. I don't think that's by mistake or a one-off occurrence. I think it's a trend.

edit: also Messi scored more goals than Ronaldo in 2011-2012 when Madrid won the league

feel

lol cr fans so angry and always pretend they don't care about these awards, all these conspiracies make it just that much funnier.

You should all be happy Ronaldo does well enough to even get mentioned in Messi's era. Instead all you do is complain he doesn't win ballon d'ors.

Ribery will win this one because Messi was injured in the most important stages last season and because again this season he got injured. Before his injury this season he had more goals/assists than ronaldo or ribery, and he wasn't 3rd in a 2 team league, he was 1st.

Injuries are the only thing that can stop GOAT from doing his thing. Injuries and Chelsea.

http://i.minus.com/iKKAmDXznGDTa.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Meh, Ronaldo would be GOATer than GOAT with a train of horse semen on him plus Xavi, Busquets and Iniesta by his side.

Don't forget it was Messi who lost the ball for the goal at Stamford Bridge... and he missed that penalty.

He couldn't score for all that game with Bosingwa at CB and Ramires as a RB.

Terrible player.

Wilbur

Banned
Barcelona were poor against PSG also, had a terrible loss against a bad Milan side at the San Siro where they were legitimately awful. and the loss to Chelsea wasn't (completley) a freak result. They couldn't break them down. The missed penalty was a freak, but beyond that—they barely threatened for the 40 or so minutes after that.

Barcelona have been legitimately poor in the CL for the past year and a half, in the context of them being crowned one of the greatest club sides of all time just the year before, with likely the best player of all time in their squad. I don't think that's by mistake or a one-off occurrence. I think it's a trend.

They were poor against PSG without Messi until he came on and galvanised them. They were legit awful against Milan until the second leg where Messi inspired them to win massively.

I think the entire team and Messi have had a poorer 2012/13 than they did in 2010/11 and 2011/12, and there's definitely an argument that its to the detriment of the team that Messi performs so well. But I think the argument for that would be they don't have a plan B and they look lost without him, as opposed to looking lost with him. He's struggled with injuries, Martino has come - an outside who doesn't necessarily slavishly wank over tiki taka and the La Masia way - and they've upped their game this season.

edit: re your edit, I meant Ronaldo's better tally compared to his own from the year before, not Messi's! Sorry, should have made it clearer.

I can't believe someone mentioned Drogba for the balon d'or. People forget that cunt gave away two penalties that should have knocked Chelsea out of the tournament. He's lucky Messi and Robben missed.

Wilbur

Banned
I can't believe someone mentioned Drogba for the balon d'or. People forget that cunt gave away two penalties that should have knocked Chelsea out of the tournament. He's lucky Messi and Robben missed.

Oh yeah ahahahaha

Fuck, Drogba was dogshit in the league that year as well. Played well against Barca and Munich, and that was it, then fucked off to China. Ballon d'Or? :LoooooooomdomofsanfoafosainfosainsaoinfsaoSUENISACUNTounsfoafasoooooool

You lost me at Iniesta

he's Barca's Khedira

Pretty soon Khedira will be United's Iniesta ;_;

Top Bottom