• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT9|

Wilbur

Banned
this is a bad argument. those one or two games just happen to be the one or two most important games of the season. of course they should be weighed more heavily. the ballon d'or should've gone to either Pirlo or Drogba in 2012. you know it's true.

also Sneijder was robbed

They should be weighed a tad more heavily, but not so much that it renders an entire year's worth of great performances moot.

Drogba was shit in the league all year. Maybe he should have won the Champions League best player. But Ballon d'Or? For playing well five times all season? And then leaving Chelsea after? Spending six months of the calendar year in China means you should win an annual award?

Fuck no. Come on.

pulga

Banned
Nah, I was in Bayern mode back then. He's won his award, he's not the best in the world, I can stop pretending that. He's not better than Ronaldo, but he's best for us.

I will be honest, Messi is the greatest. I hate the little prick, but he is. No one inspires fear as he does.

No one disputes how great Messi is, but he just hasn't been the best player this year. Blame it on his injuries, it's still a fact.

Nah, he isn't, obviously.

But he had a better year, winning everything and playing a keyrole in their big games.

Sure, Ronaldo scored more, he can take the Golden Boot.

Hear hear

I can't believe you're still bitter about the Madrid legs. Get over it, you're acting like a neroazzurro.

The007JiM

gol2bmjsqd.gif

5mPQjR9.gif

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Oh my god

people actually believe Ronaldo deserves it in 2013

WHAT THE FUCK DID HE DO BESIDE SCORING?

Edit: @Pulga

I'm not! I'm dead serious. Ribery should win it in 2013, there's no doubt in my mind.

Messi shouldn't, he was worse than both of them.

Wilbur

Banned
Oh my god

people actually believe Ronaldo deserves it in 2013

WHAT THE FUCK DID HE DO BESIDE SCORING?

He doesn't just score, like he hangs around the goal and taps it in :lol. "He only scores goals so isn't the best" is as stupid an argument as "he scores the most goals so therefore is the best"

For the year 2013, I'd have Ronaldo, Lahm and Vidal as my top three. But Ronaldo doesn't just score. He drives Madrid on when they're struggling. Wins them games by himself. You say it like scoring is just this fucking easy thing to do, he's racking up 50/60 a year. If it was that easy, everyone would be fucking doing it.

FootballFan

How awesome has he been this season <3

Sure, Messi is roided up, but so is Cristina.

9Dv9xUo.jpg

Quintuple is coming

Ribery

lol <3 Yurt.

I don't even mind if Ronaldo wins it, but all these conspiracies and "everyone hates me I'm not going to the awards" attitude is making me want Ribery to win it more than Messi lol.

I am just waiting for facebook groups of "UEFA hates Ronaldo" to come up lol. They hate him because they give awards to a more deserving player. Great logic. Stop whining, the fans taking after the player.

Argue that he is the best, that's fine. But saying he isn't getting awards because UEFA don't like him, the same people who gave him the award in 2008, and have had him 2nd/3rd every other time since and before 2008 doesn't make any sense. Just looking for excuses.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
He doesn't just score, like he hangs around the goal and taps it in :lol. "He only scores goals so isn't the best" is as stupid an argument as "he scores the most goals so therefore is the best"

For the year 2013, I'd have Ronaldo, Lahm and Vidal as my top three. But Ronaldo doesn't just score. He drives Madrid on when they're struggling. Wins them games by himself. You say it like scoring is just this fucking easy thing to do, he's racking up 50/60 a year. If it was that easy, everyone would be fucking doing it.
Ronaldo was magnificent, better than Messi for Madrid too.

But Ribery won his team the treble, like, literally. (Sneijder didn't)

jtb

Banned
They should be weighed a tad more heavily, but not so much that it renders an entire year's worth of great performances moot.

Drogba was shit in the league all year. Maybe he should have won the Champions League best player. But Ballon d'Or? For playing well five times all season? And then leaving Chelsea after? Spending six months of the calendar year in China means you should win an annual award?

Fuck no. Come on.

if Drogba hadn't fucked off to China, he should have won.

honestly, why didn't Torres win last year?

he basically won everything there was to win
scored the most goals in a competition (dat golden boot)
scored in important game (singular)
didn't fuck off to China

good enough for me. or if not Torres, then certainly Mata. you're overvaluing goals and significantly undervaluing winning.

Wilbur

Banned

No he didn't, he was part of a collective unit that were absolutely incredible. Martinez and Lahm were as good as Ribery last year, Schweinsteiger and Mandu not far behind as well.

edit; oh and Muller

if Drogba hadn't fucked off to China, he should have won.

honestly, why didn't Torres win last year?

he basically won everything there was to win
scored the most goals in a competition (dat golden boot)
scored in important game (singular)
didn't fuck off to China

good enough for me. or if not Torres, then certainly Mata. you're overvaluing goals and significantly undervaluing winning.

not even gonna bother replying :lol

Elchele

No he didn't, he was part of a collective unit that were absolutely incredible. Martinez and Lahm were as good as Ribery last year, Schweinsteiger and Mandu not far behind as well.

I would give it to Martínez. The guy is a fucking beast, my favorite bayern player

pulga

Banned

What are you on about, Bayern was more than one player. If anything, Muller deserved the nod.

Sneijder is proof that having a better year team-wise doesn't factor into the award.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Ronaldo won nothing. That was Madrid's argument when Messi won it one year ago, and THEY WERE RIGHT.

What are you on about, Bayern was more than one player. If anything, Muller deserved the nod.

Sneijder is proof that having a better year team-wise doesn't factor into the award.

Muller :((

Can we replace Ribery with Muller, Platini?

Elchele

:lol not really. I love Muller but he is not on the same league as the rest of those players, Muller is just a fighter who knows how to score out of nowhere

Oersted

What did he say/do?

UKRAINE!

I should probably cheer for France and Franck, but fuck that.

UKRAINE!!!

What did he say? Because if it was anything like "Italians are cheating cunts" then, well, he's right regarding their National football team.

(Come on, I'm not serious.)

" We know how Italians are playing." He was referring to the "fact", that Italians love to foul. Based on that, Khedira is way more Italian than Pirlo.

Clegg

Arjen is more like Cristiano, I don't like Robben that much but I do believe he has more talent than Cristiano but Cristiano is much more efficient.
I disagree. Ronaldo was a better dribbler back in the day and also got his fair share of assists. And in terms of pure natural talent he was better than Robben anyway.

Ronaldo then adapted his game to get even better. It's not just a case of becoming more efficient. You need massive amounts of talent to actually get to that stage. If it was as easy as just upping your efficiency then a lot more players would be doing it. It all comes back to talent.

Elchele

I disagree. Ronaldo was a better dribbler back in the day and also got his fair share of assists. And in terms of pure natural talent he was better than Robben anyway.

Ronaldo then adapted his game to get even better. It's not just a case of becoming more efficient. You need massive amounts of talent to actually get to that stage. If it was as easy as just upping your efficiency then a lot more players would be doing it. It all comes back to talent.

I disagree. Talent is not really related to efficiency. Obviously Cristiano is a very talented player, but a huge part of what he is now is because he works his ass off.

There are super talented player who don't get anywhere, but there are players with little talent then make it to the big stage by working harder. I do think Arjen has more natural talent

FootballFan

It's seriously incredible how good Messi is.

If he had not had these injury problems this year, these last 4 pages wouldn't even have existed. We would have all just said "fucksake give it to that genius again".

Just amazing. Even this season, more goals and assists than anyone until his injury. And his team was 1st in a 2 team league, not 4th.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Honestly, Ronaldo SHOULD have won it when he carried Madrid to winning La Liga, but it somehow went to Messi.

And everyone here (including me) was bitching about how it shouldn't be about the goals and it should be based on his achievements/MVP.

And based on that, I'd go for Ribery. Ronaldo is this year's Messi, if you will.

pulga

Banned
:lol not really. I love Muller but he is not on the same league as the rest of those players, Muller is just a fighter who knows how to score out of nowhere

Müller has a great talent, but he's really not in the same league as the other candidates.

We should send Khedira to Italy then. I'd be okay with that.

Muller's shove in the semifinals alone deserves the award.

Please understand.

I disagree. Talent is not really related to efficiency. Obviously Cristiano is a very talented player, but a huge part of what he is now is because he works his ass off.

There are super talented player who don't get anywhere, but there are players with little talent then make it to the big stage by working harder. I do think Arjen has more natural talent

Arjen only has one play in his book.

Please understand.

Wilbur

Banned
It's seriously incredible how good Messi is.

If he had not had these injury problems this year, these last 4 pages wouldn't even have existed. We would have all just said "fucksake give it to that genius again".

Just amazing. Even this season, more goals and assists than anyone until his injury. And his team was 1st in a 2 team league, not 4th.

This is true enough.

Wilbur

Banned
Honestly, Ronaldo SHOULD have won it when he carried Madrid to winning La Liga, but it somehow went to Messi.

And everyone here (including me) was bitching about how it shouldn't be about the goals and it should be based on his achievements/MVP.

And based on that, I'd go for Ribery. Ronaldo is this year's Messi, if you will.

'somehow'

Now, Messi scored 90 goals or something in 2012

'but it shouldn't just go to the top goalscorer'

If he'd scored 30/40, then sure. Vidal, Pirlo, Ronaldo, Kompany, all good shouts that year otherwise. And you wouldn't see me arguing if any of them had got it that year.

But 90? 90 goals in a single calendar year? Many of them hat tricks, four goals, five goals? Match winners? The only goals in games? The deciding goals in games? 90 fucking goals?

That's abnormal numbers. And if scoring was easy, everyone would be getting close to those numbers. No one does apart from Ronaldo.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Muller is a racist so by default he shouldn't win it.

Pedophiles are ok

-

@Wilbur

Fuck that, there's a golden boot for goals goddammit.

Clegg

You don't become one if the greatest of all time just by lifting weights and doing sprint intervals. You need once in a generation talent to do that. That's exactly what Ronaldo is.
Twice in a generation, but that's just a freak occurrence

Once you analyse the respective abilities of both players I can't see how you can believe Robben had more talent.

Ronaldo and Messi are a different calibre to Ribery. He's a fantastic player but he's simply not close to being at the level those two are.

He played a vital role last season in a Bayern team that won the treble. Team. A player will never win the treble. A player will never win a double. A team will.

I've said it so many times before, the notion a player's team has to win something to have their individual performances recognised is baffling.

A team's acknowledgement of brilliance is in the cups they win. An individual's is recognised with individual awards, in this case I'm not sure how it could be argued that Ribery deserves it more than Messi and Ronaldo.

Wilbur

Banned
What they should do is have a Balon d'Or for each position: GK, DF, MF and AT

Obviously they have that UEFA best player thing but mehhhhh.

I'd probably go (for the entirety of the year 2013)

Courtois
Lahm
Vidal
Ronaldo

Why do you cheer Ukraine progressing over France? It would be a tragedy if that occurs.

Fuck Kos. 1-0 down plenty can still happen but 2-0 down is much harder.

:lol why the fuck would that be a tragedy?

Willkiller on POINT

Why do you cheer Ukraine progressing over France? It would be a tragedy if that occurs.

Fuck Kos. 1-0 down plenty can still happen but 2-0 down is much harder.

I'm a quarter Ukrainian. :p

Even if I wasn't, I still always cheer for any of my Slavic bros at major tournaments,

Elchele

You don't become one if the greatest of all time just by lifting weights and doing sprint intervals. You need once in a generation talent to do that. That's exactly what Ronaldo is.
Twice in a generation, but that's just a freak occurrence

Once you analyse the respective abilities of both players I can't see how you can believe Robben had more talent.

I don't think Cristiano (or Ribéry) are "unique/special/generation players". Only Messi.

Top Bottom