• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT9|

Wilbur

Banned
I don't disagree with your estimation of Lambert, Wilbur, I just don't see that as anywhere near as impressive as what Rodgers has turned Liverpool into over the 18 months he's been here. Liverpool have jumped since he came in, and that's so much more than just money spent or substitutions made.

Liverpool had a mental rot before Rodgers came in, now we're the sort of team who crushes those below us and answers a defeat with a win.

I look at getting rid of Reina and bringing in Mignolet and that's a wonderfully bold decision that only great managers make. I look at how someone like Henderson has progressed under him, or the way he's coerced the likes of Skrtel into form, and I just think he's excellent.

I'm probably underselling Rodgers a tad, yeah; he's done a superb job and he's proving himself up to the task, your Reina example being a key part of that. I may be wrong, willing to concede that.

I do think Lambert given Liverpool's resources could probably do equally as impressive a job, but instead of getting all nitpicky about their comparative virtues and flaws, I'm just pretty glad there's two very good British managers in the top league when the numbers are always seemingly rapidly dwindling.

L1NETT

I don't think he's a tactical genius but... had luck = making good loan signings, in form striker = motivation and faith in striker is reaping rewards?

He picked Ings cos Rodriguez and Austin left. It was either him or his left bollock with a smiley face drawn on it. (TTOT quote). Faith = last resort. And loads of lower league clubs get loans, if they can be bothered it always helps.

If he gets two diamonds in forty shits I wouldn't ask Sean how to find the diamonds.

That sounded better in my head.

Wilbur

Banned
In fact I'll tell myself to fuck off and compare that Rodgers - Reina decision with Lambert; when they were in trouble and struggling and he kept leaving Bent on the bench, pretty comparable.

Sign of a good manager that they stick to their guns and make big decisions for themselves; it could have backfired on him, as could picking a lot of youth (and I think ego and naivety was really in danger of overcoming his tactical and man management) but its working out pretty well.

I like him and Rodgers, and I think Mackay's fantastic. If he does leave Cardiff a lot of clubs could do a lot worse than him.

Bacon is racist, not sectarian.

"Sectarianism, according to one definition, is bigotry, discrimination, or hatred arising from attaching importance to perceived differences between subdivisions within a group, such as between different denominations of a religion, class, regional or factions of a political movement"

dont tell me that he doesn't think black people are of a lower class

Arnie

I'm probably underselling Rodgers a tad, yeah; he's done a superb job and he's proving himself up to the task, your Reina example being a key part of that. I may be wrong, willing to concede that.

I do think Lambert given Liverpool's resources could probably do equally as impressive a job, but instead of getting all nitpicky about their comparative virtues and flaws, I'm just pretty glad there's two very good British managers in the top league when the numbers are always seemingly rapidly dwindling.

I think it's easy to like Lambert because Villa are inherently likeable and ultimately non-threatening. They're a team that have, on occasion, performed cohesively as a unit that's far greater than the sum of its parts. This taps into other footballing niceties like clubs playing above their means and being able to challenge the status quo, we all like that, just look at Dortmund.

But ultimately Villa are still a side that have struggled to make that next step. They're a group that show lots of promise yet equally lots of errors. And I think there's something brave and inherently admirable about a manager sacrificing a core philosophy for the good of his club. That's why I'm not always sold on Villa getting battered for the sake of Lambert's counter-attack, and it's also why I never joined the Martinez biff parade when Wigan were being fisted on a weekly basis.

Rodgers played to Liverpool's strengths whilst folding in his own tactical ideas when necessary and wherever possible. It's a realistic approach that's given the club stability and an identity, and it's one that's absolutely led to us being in the position we're in now.

Idealism is dead.

rodvik

WBA2-2VIL.gif

I have a chubby.

Clegg

"Sectarianism, according to one definition, is bigotry, discrimination, or hatred arising from attaching importance to perceived differences between subdivisions within a group, such as between different denominations of a religion, class, regional or factions of a political movement"

dont tell me that he doesn't think black people are of a lower class
I think hatred of race supercedes indifference of class in this argument.

Zabojnik

And you're out of the CL, shame on you.

Not yet! We only 'need' a win and a draw. But yeah, we done goofed. :( We were playing like shit in September and (imo) reaped less than what we deserved in the two matches vs. Real. Also, fucking Weiland and fucking Isla with Galatasaray. Also, Conte switched to 4-3-3 too late.

There's still a chance. I believe.

Wilbur

Banned
I bet all the songs sound the fucking same.

Perhaps he'll get someone in temporarily to elevate one of the tracks.

feat. Lukaku

This is a good game

"Poppelgangers with Arnold"

Round Two

The Brendan Paradigm Sandwich

The Moyes Girder Cabal

The Wenger Grooming Salon

bud

Ramsey's not very creative. He really doesn't create many chances. I wouldn't want Jack to play the #10 though. I agree his best position is a deep lying midfielder.

i agree with you on ramsey, but i his dribbles and vision are improving. there are two types of number 10 footballers: goal scorers and passers. at the moment, he's the former, but i do think he could end up becoming quite the dribbler/passer as well which would turn him into a great, all-round number ten.

Arnie

This is a good game

"Poppelgangers with Arnold"

Round Two

The Brendan Paradigm Sandwich

The Moyes Girder Cabal

The Wenger Grooming Salon

Now playing: Flipping The Triangle by The Rodge

Also in this playlist:

Consolidate by Slug 67
Banoffee Brigade by Les Blerts
and
Buzz Cut by LCD Mousystem

Clegg

Apparently Carragher just compared Long's first goal to Bergkamp's against Leicester all those years ago. While I don't think it's as good as that, the quality of first touch is similar.

Wilbur

Banned
Apparently Carragher just compared Long's first goal to Bergkamp's against Leicester all those years ago. While I don't think it's as good as that, the quality of first touch is similar.

Yeah, Ed was like "Gary would you agree?"

"... maybe!" real hesitantly :lol

Wanted to see the start, hope its on Youtube; posted earlier but the Guardian MBM said

Incidentally, I think the love-in between Gary Neville and the media is occasionally tiresome, but the five minutes he and Jamie Carragher spent analysing Philippe Coutinho's goal for Liverpool on Saturday was worth the monthly Sky Sports subscription fee on its own

wedward

i agree with you on ramsey, but i his dribbles and vision are improving. there are two types of number 10 footballers: goal scorers and passers. at the moment, he's the former, but i do think he could end up becoming quite the dribbler/passer as well which would turn him into a great, all-round number ten.

Maybe, but I dont think we will ever see him in that position. He is so suited to the box to box role and we have other, better options at the 10. We also have some very good youth players who look suited for the 10.

Wilbur

Banned

"I remember when we were in Barcelona we were very close friends because we were living in the same city and had known each other for a number of years. I was just starting out at Espanyol and Lionel was at Barça. When I signed for City I think two days later the news broke that Sheikh Mansour had bought the club and Lionel always recalls that I joined at such a fantastic time.

"He asked me a lot about City but I couldn't tell him much because I didn't know much myself – but it's something we often talk about. Plus the fact that I'm still here."

I ask my mum how her day was all the time but it doesn't mean I want to go eat lunch with a bunch of middle aged mangoes who discuss the colour of their babies' vomit that Thursday

Wilbur

Banned
Boardwalk finale. Amazing. Best thing on telly. Is it sacrilege to say I like it more than I did Breaking Bad? Only problem is its lead character is nowhere near as good as Walt/Tony Soprano/Al Swearengen, but when its supporting cast is as incredible as it is and it looks as beautiful as it does and its hnnnngghh

Settle is the best album this year

anyone who disagrees is a chunk of smegma

It is bare good

Dunno what would be my top though; have only listened to a tiny fraction of stuff, usually I catch up at the end of the year so I've only heard the big releases really. Reflektor, AM and Yeezus I loved. I'll catch up when people start releasing their best of lists.

Top Bottom