• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT9|

WJD

I am one of those weird people who really likes Xbox exclusives possibly even more than PlayStation's so I am definitely going to get an Xbox One... just when I can feel more confident that it isn't going to be a mess. The PS4 seems like it has less problems which is why I'm getting that first. Which is pretty sad... 7 years and neither seem ready.

If I wasn't so fucking ready to stop using the current consoles I don't think I'd bother with either at launch.

you are me

I just totted up what I'd get in either situation and the PS4+KZ bundle, FIFA 14 and extra controller comes to £492... and XBO (with FIFA 14), controller, DR3 and BF4(kind of need an FPS) came to £578. And with all the shitty rumours, whether they're true or not - I might just have to wait until Halo 5 and, if that looks shit, even longer.

I'M DOING IT

srry for shitting up thread, needed to put this down on paper to make my decision and it's helped so leave me alone ok

Linius

Was quite fun by the way to sit next to the away supporters. Though the Celtic supporters were a bit quit yesterday. Also a lot of Celtic fans around me in the Ajax zone. Even one next to me. Or at least, I think he was. He just sat there like he was watching a movie or something and didn't say a word to anyone for the whole time he was sitting there :p

you are me

I just totted up what I'd get in either situation and the PS4+KZ bundle, FIFA 14 and extra controller comes to £492... and XBO (with FIFA 14), controller, DR3 and BF4(kind of need an FPS) came to £578. And with all the shitty rumours, whether they're true or not - I might just have to wait until Halo 5 and, if that looks shit, even longer.

I'M DOING IT

srry for shitting up thread, needed to put this down on paper to make my decision and it's helped so leave me alone ok

Out of interest, why BF4 for the Xbox but not PS4? You always struck me as more of a Battlefield guy than a Killzone guy :p

WJD

Out of interest, why BF4 for the Xbox but not PS4? You always struck me as more of a Battlefield guy than a Killzone guy :p

I basically figured I might as well get the PS4's flagship title and wait until christmas or something to treat myself to BF4. I wouldn't want to get two FPS games at the same time but I kind of need at least one...

Not particularly rational, but someone might understand!

edit: to answer your actual question, I'm definitely more on the side of Halo/BF than Killzone usually, but god damn that game looks pretty.

Lightning

Banned
You single-handedly make me dislike Arsenal, and that's saying something given how much respect I have for the way your club conducts itself and the amount of people I like who also support you. Genuinely hope Man Utd give you a good battering, at least their fans on here know how to win with a bit of grace.

Bollocks to all this 'Arsenal play the best football, Man Utd are Man Utd' nonsense. Whatever keeps us closest to the top is the best result for us. A draw is ideal in those terms, but a Man Utd win is okay. Irrelevant if we fail to beat Fulham though.
Well that's nice thanks a lot. It was a light hearted joke...

tumblr_mvuyywIa7R1s6hgjio1_400.gif

Bati pls

AND WELCOME BACK! Now stop being, you know, you.

That gif was made for that post.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Maybe it's time to stop shitting on Benz so much

"Benzema is the striker with the most assists to his name in Europe this season, with seven. Coincidentally, in second place comes Gonzalo Higuaín. The Frenchman's former competitor for the centre-forward position at Real is behind him on the list of assists - with 4 - and also in the goalscoring chart - with seven goals by Benzema and six by the Argentine (two penalties).

They are followed by other elite strikers such as Lewandowski, Ibrahimovic and Spaniard Negredo, with three assists for their teammates – less than half the Frenchman's total."

Coincidentally, they're wrong, because Neymar has EIGHT.

and Totti is above Higuain with SIX.

They didn't even mention Messi.
KuGsj.gif

oh my god

gravity

oh my god

gravity

oh my god

gravity

The premise sounds great to me, but George Clooney and Sandra Bullock irrationally annoy me whenever I watch films with them in it. Is it good enough for me to get over that?

Did you watch it in 3D/IMAX?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The premise sounds great to me, but George Clooney and Sandra Bullock irrationally annoy me whenever I watch films with them in it. Is it good enough for me to get over that?

The acting is irrelevant/insignificant in Gravity.

Wilbur

Banned

Bullock's fantastic. Not a fan of her either but she's brilliant. And I like Clooney anyway.

Saw it in 3D. I'm sure initial reaction will go down a bit but it was fantastic. Honestly, real fucking supreme film making. Will be a long while before I'm as impressed with a film as much as I was that. It looks absolutely incredible.

Dortmund-Napoli looks like it'll be the biggest game of the group stage this year. Gonna have to watch a shitty stream :(

@Juve fans, are you confident of progressing?

Lightning

Banned
Dortmund-Napoli looks like it'll be the biggest game of the group stage this year. Gonna have to watch a shitty stream :(

Going to be a massive game. Dortmund must be favorites but the Rafa factor has to come in and his incredible ability to get results in Europe. A draw seems plausible in that game to me but Napoli will have to defend well.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Well that's nice thanks a lot. It was a light hearted joke...

Ignore it dude, Liverpool fans have years of salty rage stored up after finishing outside the top 5 for half a decade, they can't take a joke.

Going to be a massive game. Dortmund must be favorites but the Rafa factor has to come in and his incredible ability to get results in Europe. A draw seems plausible in that game to me but Napoli will have to defend well.

Gonna be a weird one, Napoli will have to play compact to keep Dortmund at bay, but I'm not sure they have the personnel to make that work. Think they'll probably start quite open, hope for an early goal, and then start playing negatively after 20 minutes or so. Of course that would leave them open to conceding early, which would pretty much kill them.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Reina with a sideswipe at Liverpool
“I don’t think Liverpool were honest with me. It was a difficult decision and I don’t regret anything, as I am proud to have chosen Napoli and Benitez. I must still thank the English club for all they did for me, but it’s impossible for me to play at Anfield again

*crickets*

tumblr_mvuyjeu2se1s6hgjio1_400.gif

Quite, but it could go either way. We've been pretty unlucky so far. I'm confident we'll beat Copenhagen at home and hopefully Real does the same.

Real will have probably qualified in first already by the time the last game comes around I think, which could throw a spanner in the works.

edit: As far as Reina's concerned, I just want him to play well enough for Napoli to buy him. We have no need for him, and I want him to have a good career with Xavi Valero

Lightning

Banned
Gonna be a weird one, Napoli will have to play compact to keep Dortmund at bay, but I'm not sure they have the personnel to make that work. Think they'll probably start quite open, hope for an early goal, and then start playing negatively after 20 minutes or so. Of course that would leave them open to conceding early, which would pretty much kill them.
No way Napoli can start open because Dortmund will be very aggressive early on. Dortmund need the win, Napoli don't, defend with 10 players and weather that early pressure and then try to score themselves a bit later seems more plausible. Similar to what we did, for the first half we just focused on not conceding a goal and that's Napoli will have to do.

Against Arsenal they conceded early and we killed the match in the first 15 minutes, against Marsielle they conceded early again, they cannot afford that away to Dortmund.

GorillaJu

Reina with a sideswipe at Liverpool

Yeah that doesn't entirely surprise me, especially with Rodgers being a relatively new manager, it was always going to be really difficult to get what they wanted, which is to remove him from the wage bill and get him away from the team, when he was such a central figure that was well-loved by fans. They probably tried to avoid telling Reina the honest truth, which is "you're not good enough for the amount we pay you."

I think Villas Boas did something similar for Assou Ekotto.

No way Napoli can start open because Dortmund will be very aggressive early on. Dortmund need the win, Napoli don't, defend with 10 players and weather that early pressure and then try to score themselves a bit later seems more plausible. Similar to what we did, for the first half we just focused on not conceding a goal and that's Napoli will have to do.

Against Arsenal they conceded early and we killed the match in the first 15 minutes, against Marsielle they conceded early again, they cannot afford that away to Dortmund.

Yeah, I guess. Would a draw be enough for Napoli to confirm qualification because of the head-to-head? Needing a win against Arsenal is a bad scenario considering the way the Emirates match went, although there's a chance you'd send a b-team over there. Marseille being whipping boys has ruined the group a bit

Scum

Did you guys see this thread Walmart is selling monitors for $8.85 from yesterday? $2,000 TVs for $300(!). Here's the jist of it -

Probably not 100% accurate, but it went down somewhat like this:

CAG thread on SMT4 Walmart deal -> CAG twitter account (Wario) tweets out the deal -> GAF thread pops up -> Gaffers and CAG's start finding out current gen games (BF4, GTA5, Disney Infinity, etc...) are also on sale for $18 -> Slickdeals thread pops up and lands on the front page -> $8 monitors are found -> $2k TV's on sale for $300 are found -> everyone realizes the whole site has fucked up prices on everything -> massive amount of orders for in store pickup -> crapload of people go in the morning and though out the day to pickup their items including $2k TV's for $300.

Evilore started this thread - Check out tomorrow's Good Morning America

Lightning

Banned
Arsenal really need to win in Naples either way. Finishing 2nd in this group is a death sentence for Arsenal.

Look at the teams who topped their group:

Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Atletico, PSG, Chelsea, possibly United

We can't draw the epl teams so we'll be left with a shit match.

Yeah, I guess. Would a draw be enough for Napoli to confirm qualification because of the head-to-head? Needing a win against Arsenal is a bad scenario considering the way the Emirates match went, although there's a chance you'd send a b-team over there. Marseille being whipping boys has ruined the group a bit
If Napoli draw it will ensure Arsenal are through which could cause Arsenal to rest players, hope not though, but they will still need at least a point from Arsenal match in Naples to be certain.

Arsenal really need to win in Naples either way. Finishing 2nd in this group is a death sentence for Arsenal.

You'd beat PSG and possibly the Madrids. I'd love to see Arsenal vs Atletico, that'd be a great fixture

Zabojnik

Real will have probably qualified in first already by the time the last game comes around I think, which could throw a spanner in the works.

I think they need one more point, but yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't put much effort into winning. Still, they'll be playing at home, so I'm hoping they won't half-ass it. In any case, with 6 points we're through regardless. Winning in Turkey won't be a cakewalk, but hey, if we can't do it, we don't deserve to qualify anyway.

Dat Barbara.

Hahaha please be serious

We're not fucking Liverpool

Your defenders are individually and systematically terrible (in defense), your midfielders are a lot less mobile than Arsenal's. It would be Lopez+Ronaldo vs about 6 (currently) in form Arsenal attackers.

I'm not saying they'd be favourites, but they'd have a very decent chance if they can keep this momentum up

edit: Just remembered Casillas plays CL matches, Arsenal would definitely go through :p

Scum

If Napoli draw it will ensure Arsenal are through which could cause Arsenal to rest players, hope not though, but they will still need at least a point from Arsenal match in Naples to be certain.

Be happy if you avoid Ath. Madrid.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Can someone explain to me why Michael Dawson doesn't get a chance with England? Surely for these friendlies he could get a runout ahead of Cahill or Smalling?

Top Bottom