• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/2014 |OT1| Moyes, Master of Muppets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

Must you really make such a snide remark about Altidore and Sunderland? No one is hyping it up as the deal of the millennium, he seems to be a fairly good player who can possibly do well at Sunderland.

Feelings over that ?

Am I allowed to take the piss out of Bramble to West Ham ? We gotta establish which transfers are off limits.

xintin

it'll be nice to see Altidore in the Premier League actually. do I think he can handle it? no, not really, but there are so few Americans playing in top flight European leagues as is. at least he seems to be able to finish now, it used to be really quite poor—that's been the biggest hole in his game for a while (and when you're a striker, that can be pretty important) He didn't play enough after leaving the States so I hope, for his and the USMNT's sake, that this deal works out and he can nail down a regular starting role.
Anything will be better than his first stint in the Premier League with Hull. 1 goal and sent off in the game that got them relegated.

Milan gets back to Milanello today, we'll officially start the 2013/2014 season. It's going to be the youngest Milan ever basically, avg age 25 years old, mostly thanks to Yepes and Ambrosini.

Poli will also be there, while we still have to wait for Honda and Ljajic: CSKA is ready to sell Honda, we'll probably talk to them after Binho is gone (today he'll be at Milanello, but I'm guessing something new has to happen before next week). Ljajic has agreed personal terms with us, now we just have to make our offer, which is probably going to be around 5-6m euros less than what Fiorentina wants to earn. But, with Adem being in his last year of his contract, they have to lower their demands. Probably we'll sell Boateng too, at this point.

The team is shaping up really good. If we get those two we'll need another CB just to be safe, Jherson is good and all but I'd like to see Astori with us too.

dc89

GB18 was a staple in that Championship winning City side. I'm not trolling, it's true. He got very little wrong and he was decent at mopping up and distributing the ball.

---

Viva - bit of a shakeup at TalkSPORT! Colin Murray has been given the 10-1 slot! I wonder what's happening with Keys and Gray? I hope they get breakfast slot.

GorillaJu

I hope we hijack Ljajic. Need to take out our anger over Mkhitaryan on someone. Milan is Milan but we've got more financial muscle at the moment. I don't even care if he's good I just want Ian Ayre to roll up somewhere on his motorcycle, take off his sunglasses and drop a briefcase full of cash on someone's table.

Plasma

Banned
GB18 was a staple in that Championship winning City side. I'm not trolling, it's true. He got very little wrong and he was decent at mopping up and distributing the ball.

He isn't getting any younger though, we finally have money to spend and we're still looking for the cheap options.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I hope we hijack Ljajic. Need to take out our anger over Mkhitaryan on someone. Milan is Milan but we've got more financial muscle at the moment. I don't even care if he's good I just want Ian Ayre to roll up somewhere on his motorcycle, take off his sunglasses and drop a briefcase full of cash on someone's table.
Briefcase? I'll sell you Vucinic RIGHT NOW for a wallet full of cash.

Why Milan, though? Go pick an Everton target or something. :(

You can have Antonini for a briefcase full of cash. Even two briefcases, we won't complain.

I appreciate people think the Arsenal offer is funny (and it is because it would be so odd for him to stay in England). But I'd be very surprised if Liverpool ended up getting the full £40 million their fans seem to expect from the sale.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Gareth Barry to Arsenal rumours are popping up again, please god no.

Coquelin gone, Diaby still injured, makes sense to me.

Arsenal need to pad out their squad with a few workhorses after clearing out the shit.

Lightning

Banned
Arsenal are hilarious.

£30m? Are they joking?

Also I doubt highly we would ever sell to them.
Yes you would sell to us if the price was right.

30m is obviously too low but don't kid yourself by thinking our clubs won't do business for one anothers players if the money is adequate for both clubs.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
PRESEASOOOON

I bet everyone is waiting for Llorente's first picture next to Juvinco and Giaccherini.

Coquelin gone, Diaby still injured, makes sense to me.

Arsenall need to pad out their squad with a few workhorses after clearing out the shit.

It doesnt make sense man! You can get a better younger players

Diaby is a monster its just he's always injured and I know its frustrating

Walshy

Yes you would sell to us if the price was right.

30m is obviously too low but don't kid yourself by thinking our clubs won't do business for one anothers players if the money is adequate for both clubs.
No we wouldn't. It would have to be silly money, such as Torres for £50m.

Why would we sell our best player to a rival?

dc89

He isn't getting any younger though, we finally have money to spend and we're still looking for the cheap options.

True but I think he could still do the job at a top club for another year.

I used top instead of massive because of exclusivity rights.

Walshy

Cause thats what you did with Torres?
For silly money.

I appreciate people think the Arsenal offer is funny (and it is because it would be so odd for him to stay in England). But I'd be very surprised if Liverpool ended up getting the full £40 million their fans seem to expect from the sale.
Why not? We paid £22m for him. In that time he's been consistently one of the best players in the league for two seasons aswell as leading his country to Copa America victory + being named best player of the tournament.

He's came off the back of scoring 30 goals last season and having 11 assists. He played 44 games, that means that he's involved directly in a goal nearly every single game last season. He's a huge asset to us, in a world where Higuain goes for £23m, I find the whole notion of them valuing Suarez at £30m is a little bit insulting.

German GAF what the fuck is Der Sechzehner and who is Sandro Wagner?
wtzgU.gif

Lightning

Banned
For silly money.

Why not? We paid £22m for him. In that time he's been consistently one of the best players in the league for two seasons aswell as leading his country to Copa America victory + being named best player of the tournament.

He's came off the back of scoring 30 goals last season and having 11 assists. He played 44 games, that means that he's involved directly in a goal nearly every single game last season. He's a huge asset to us, in a world where Higuain goes for £23m, I find the whole notion of them valuing Suarez at £30m is a little bit insulting.
You do realise the 23m we offered for Higuain was not our first offer, right?

If we are serious about Suarez, which I doubt we are, there will be an improved bid coming in the next few days. You hardly ever start bidding at the price you end up paying. To say 30m is our valuation of Suarez is incorrect, it's not.

Suarez is a super talented player but he will miss the first 6 games of anyone in the PL's season and will definitely be targeted and punished heavily by the FA for anything that he does from this point forward. This lowers a players value.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Why sell your best player to a domestic/CL qualification rival without inflating his price? He's easily worth more than 30 to them.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
For silly money.

Suarez' horrendous disciplinary record is going to have a serious affect on the price. He's still banned for 6 more games right?

Suarez is the Joey Barton of strikers.

sohois

Suarez does collect a fair amount of extraordinary bannings but he has not actually received a red card in the premier league and has a spotless injury record; Missing around ~6 games per year shouldn't really be enough to significantly affect the players value, though there some significant externalities for the club.

Currently Suarez's contribution for Liverpool is equivalent to the likes of Bale or Cavani or Falcao, players valued at beyond £50million. Even taking into account the missed games and negative publicity, Liverpool's expected utility for Suarez is far beyond the £30 or £40 million mark which teams are offering. Thus Liverpool have no reason to sell for such low amounts.

Factors which could drag down the expected utility would be an expiring contract, advancing age, a significant injury or Suarez going awol. However, the low probability of those factors occurring means the value of Suarez is not affected much.

Peco

Milan gets back to Milanello today, we'll officially start the 2013/2014 season. It's going to be the youngest Milan ever basically, avg age 25 years old, mostly thanks to Yepes and Ambrosini.

Poli will also be there, while we still have to wait for Honda and Ljajic: CSKA is ready to sell Honda, we'll probably talk to them after Binho is gone (today he'll be at Milanello, but I'm guessing something new has to happen before next week). Ljajic has agreed personal terms with us, now we just have to make our offer, which is probably going to be around 5-6m euros less than what Fiorentina wants to earn. But, with Adem being in his last year of his contract, they have to lower their demands. Probably we'll sell Boateng too, at this point.

The team is shaping up really good. If we get those two we'll need another CB just to be safe, Jherson is good and all but I'd like to see Astori with us too.

I want to masturbate watching Amú and Saponetta training.
Please tell me they're at Milanello today.

Suarez does collect a fair amount of extraordinary bannings but he has not actually received a red card in the premier league and has a spotless injury record; Missing around ~6 games per year shouldn't really be enough to significantly affect the players value, though there some significant externalities for the club.

Currently Suarez's contribution for Liverpool is equivalent to the likes of Bale or Cavani or Falcao, players valued at beyond £50million. Even taking into account the missed games and negative publicity, Liverpool's expected utility for Suarez is far beyond the £30 or £40 million mark which teams are offering. Thus Liverpool have no reason to sell for such low amounts.

Factors which could drag down the expected utility would be an expiring contract, advancing age, a significant injury or Suarez going awol. However, the low probability of those factors occurring means the value of Suarez is not affected much.

He should've been many times though. Diving, biting?

Lightning

Banned
Fuck the Suarez shit. Everybody knows that Arsenal and Madrid are doing whatever they can to wind one another up.

Sid Lowe: "Real Madrid trying to squeeze a bit more money out of Arsenal on Higuaín deal. It will still happen."

I can't wait to see Liverpool's response when Suarez goes to Madrid though and not for anywhere near the amount they want.

German GAF what the fuck is Der Sechzehner and who is Sandro Wagner?
wtzgU.gif

Der Sechzehner is the penalty box because it's ~16 metres long and wide. But I guess you're thinking of that website, never heard of it.

Sandro Wagner is a shit striker that didn't make it at Bayern. Kinda is the German Peter Crouch, but worse.

dc89

It's in Liverpool's interest to sell early as possible. The longer they wait the less they'll get and they won't be able to use the money.

justjohn

Chelsea are preparing a bid for Aston Villa star Christian Benteke as Jose Mourinho seeks a solution to the club's pursuit of a new striker. (Duncan Castles)

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/tran...eke?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Eh, would be easier to just keep Ba then.... Although he is Belgian!
Im hoping benteke is not a one season wonder, but if he has another storming season with villa then his price will probably sky rocket so its woth the gamble.
Him and lukaku together can do sme potential damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom