• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/2014 |OT1| Moyes, Master of Muppets

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

Y3GZyBq.png

Shagwell

Football-gaf constantly disappoints me in it's overlooking of Alan Partridge, Brass Eye, Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, Father Ted and Bottom in 'best comedy' conversations.

Peep Show doesn't hold a candle to any of them.

Also, Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia is better than Arrested Development

I'm surprised Alan Partridge doesn't get quoted more often on matchdays. God, what I'd give to have him commentate one match for real for a laugh.

"SHIT!! Did you see that?! He must have a foot like a traction engine!!"

"Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes...That, was a goal."

bud

yeah, i don't see why united would even want to sign fabregas for that much money. he hasn't shown anything in the last few years.

Feorax

One more thing on Suarez, Kike Marin is seen to be reliable on Arsenal's striker target dealings this summer, said ages ago that Higuain was third choice behind Rooney and Suarez.

He has then reported today that Arsenal's second bid for suarez is now £40m. Whether is is enough to do a deal with Liverpool we will see but I would say with confidence he is now our first choice striker target. Read more here

Think if we wanted to push through with Higuain it would of been like a week ago when Sid Lowe reported on it.

I can believe this, but I still think it's going to be a very difficult negotiating process even if the transfer does go through.

I have my doubts about Suarez to Arsenal for 3 reasons;

1. Arsenal will have to pay £5 million to £10 million more than Madrid, as we're not going to sell for a reasonable amount to the club we're actively trying to displace.

2. Arsenal would need to break their transfer record by a significant amount (maybe double?) to get to that price. If Suarez' disciplinary record is as big an issue to the club hierarchy as it is to some of it's fans, that won't happen.

3. Suarez will probaby want a pay hike upon signing, which would likely decimate Arsenal's wage structure.

Basically, if this is going to happen, then Arsene and the board need to be prepared to step outside of their comfort zones in a massive way.

arkon

I'm surprised Alan Partridge doesn't get quoted more often on matchdays. God, what I'd give to have him commentate one match for real for a laugh.

"SHIT!! Did you see that?! He must have a foot like a traction engine!!"

"Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes...That, was a goal."

I did pop up with the occasional THRIKER! during some matchdays.

Meier

I loved Coogan in 24 Hour a Party People and Tropic Thunder but still haven't seen any of Alan Partridge. Heard it's brilliant though and the trailer for the film looked funny.

Wilbur

Banned
And RSVPs hadn't even gone out on my Cesc party. You and Viva have saved me the effort.

:lol, you'll just be sitting in an empty sports hall with a party hat on crying with your flaccid dick in your hand.

Like they said, look how easy the bid's been leaked. It's just so we can delude fans into thinking we're willing.

Feorax

Tancredi seems to think Real's asking price for Higuain is €40 million.

Get the feeling he'll be staying there at least one more season.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Mads is the suavest motherfucker on TV right now. Seriously. #bowtothecannibalisticking

I fucking read that that annoying mug David Tennant was close to getting the role... The show would have been dog shit had that gone through.
[Warning: Blasphemy]

I think I enjoyed Mads' version of Hannibal more than Anthony Hopkins.

And let's not get our hopes up, I'm sure it'll get canceled sooner or later since it was created by Bryan Fuller.

Fiorentina is so scary this year. I hope they finish above Napoli and get third.
Mario Gomez
Joseph Iličić - Joseph Red - Ljajic

Yen

Been at the coast without Internet for a while. What's the transfer news I've missed (Liverpool and others)? If Suarez leaves for arsenal for less than 50m I'd be annoyed.

bjaelke

So the rest of Europe can have their Cavanis, their Falcaos and their Mkhitaryans. The Premier League doesn't need them. No, next season will be when most Premier League clubs give young players – predominantly English – a chance to shine
1332783608_sarkozy_laugh.gif

Meier

Loading up Outlook after the 2 weeks out. Let's see how many messages I've missed...

Not too bad! Less than 200. That was about a day or two at my previous job.

Been at the coast without Internet for a while. What's the transfer news I've missed (Liverpool and others)? If Suarez leaves for arsenal for less than 50m I'd be annoyed.

Liverpool signed Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Higuain is at Arsenal and David Moyes successfully signed Thiago without any issues.

Feorax

United have bid for Cesc having missed out on Thiago.

Westwood has signed a new contract at Villa.

Stevie is signing a 2 year extention with us today.

Lukaku has said he's not willing to go out on loan again.

Mkhitaryan to BVB.

Carbonox

[Warning: Blasphemy]

I think I enjoyed Mads' version of Hannibal more than Anthony Hopkins.

And let's not get our hopes up, I'm sure it'll get canceled sooner or later since it was created by Bryan Fuller.

Mario Gomez
Joseph Iličić - Joseph Red - Ljajic

There will be a second season of Hannibal at least, so that's something. This is one show that I don't want see go down the long winded road. I think I read the wish from the creators is to see 7 seasons? Fuck that - it would ruin the show.

Mikro

Neo Member
I can believe this, but I still think it's going to be a very difficult negotiating process even if the transfer does go through.

I have my doubts about Suarez to Arsenal for 3 reasons;

1. Arsenal will have to pay £5 million to £10 million more than Madrid, as we're not going to sell for a reasonable amount to the club we're actively trying to displace.

2. Arsenal would need to break their transfer record by a significant amount (maybe double?) to get to that price. If Suarez' disciplinary record is as big an issue to the club hierarchy as it is to some of it's fans, that won't happen.

3. Suarez will probaby want a pay hike upon signing, which would likely decimate Arsenal's wage structure.

Basically, if this is going to happen, then Arsene and the board need to be prepared to step outside of their comfort zones in a massive way.

I will try to give counters to these points,

1. Can Madrid afford another £40m signing after Isco and Illaramendi? Their striker position has been interesting to me because I thought if they could they would of gone for Cavani because he so obviously wanted to play for them. They probably could afford Suarez but they haven't bid yet. This seems a valid point and could scupper us.

Also a thing to consider with them buying these young spanish talents, I would say it's because they do not want the spanish national team in the future to be dominated by Barcelona like before, so they now have Carvajal, Isco, Illaremendi - Do they look to give Jese and Morata a chance in the first team? Real Madrid developing home grown talent would certainly be something new but might fit in with this approach?

2. Yep this would be a massive change, our transfer record is £15m but this would be the summer to do it, we have been overly cautious but the club is absolutely loaded. We have Gazidis did comment that we could make this kind of transfer. We are estimated to have a budget of £70m minimum and could push over that easy. This is due to saved money in the bank, new shirt sponser deal at around £25m a season, new kit deal next year sorted at £30m max a season, new TV deal.

3. Can you give an estimate for Suarez's current wage, think I've heard around £110k a week? We can match this and probably easily go up to £150k, the personal agreed terms for Higuain think were around £130k - £150k a week

GorillaJu

I was about to post that I have no qualms about selling Suarez to Arsenal, but then I watched a 12/13 highlight video and I've changed my mind. Sell him abroad, but not to another PL club. He's too fuckin' good.

God that final equalizing header against Chelsea that sent all our members here into meltdown was brilliant.

There will be a second season of Hannibal at least, so that's something. This is one show that I don't want see go down the long winded road. I think I read the wish from the creators is to see 7 seasons? Fuck that - it would ruin the show.

Fueller has everything very well planned for future seasons and 7 seasons isn´t that much when they are 13 episode seasons. They could reach 7 seasons, the show is internationally produced so NBC gets to show it for less money than usually. Even if NBC drops it, there are already cable networks and streaming services ready to pick it up in America.

Feorax

I will try to give counters to these points,

1. Can Madrid afford another £40m signing after Isco and Illaramendi? Their striker position has been interesting to me because I thought if they could they would of gone for Cavani because he so obviously wanted to play for them. They probably could afford Suarez but they haven't bid yet. This seems a valid point and could scupper us.

Also a thing to consider with them buying these young spanish talents, I would say it's because they do not want the spanish national team in the future to be dominated by Barcelona like before, so they now have Carvajal, Isco, Illaremendi - Do they look to give Jese and Morata a chance in the first team? Real Madrid developing home grown talent would certainly be something new but might fit in with this approach?

2. Yep this would be a massive change, our transfer record is £15m but this would be the summer to do it, we have been overly cautious but the club is absolutely loaded. We have Gazidis did comment that we could make this kind of transfer. We are estimated to have a budget of £70m minimum and could push over that easy. This is due to saved money in the bank, new shirt sponser deal at around £25m a season, new kit deal next year sorted at £30m max a season, new TV deal.

3. Can you give an estimate for Suarez's current wage, think I've heard around £110k a week? We can match this and probably easily go up to £150k, the personal agreed terms for Higuain think were around £130k - £150k a week

1. I'm not convinced Madrid are all that interested. I think they'd rather keep Higuain and bid for Bale again next year. Still, we've probably already got a figure in mind for Madrid given the early murmerings, so the price Arsenal would pay would be based on that.

2. I completely agree, but it's one of those "I'll believe it when I see it" things. Too many false dawns with Arsenal over the last few summers.

3. He's on about £110k per week I think, so you're probably alright if you already had £150k pw set aside for Higuain.

Tancredi is properly on one today, saying we should expect a swap deal from Madrid of Higuain plus cash in the next couple of days.

Give us enough to get Shaqiri or Bernard and we'll talk.

GorillaJu

I don't want Higuain, personally, but I trust Di Marzio's intel, as he's been spot on so far in this window.

How brutal would it be on Arsenal if we sold their primary target to another club, then took their secondary target? Not worth it though.

Razor554

Calenda (agent Marquinhos): "The club told us he could leave. There are offers from PSG, Man United and Barcelona."

Come to us son, come to us.

Walshy

I don't want Higuain, personally, but I trust Di Marzio's intel, as he's been spot on so far in this window.

How brutal would it be on Arsenal if we sold their primary target to another club, then took their secondary target? Not worth it though.
I think it would match up though, did you see the Telegraph this morning? Mentioned that Liverpool have a fair amount of cash to spend still.

We could get higuain and still have cash to spend on someone like Bernard.

Calenda (agent Marquinhos): "The club told us he could leave. There are offers from PSG, Man United and Barcelona."

Come to us son, come to us.

Logically, he'd have a decent shot at breaking into Barca's weak defence. But dat PSG money.

Obviously he'll be one of #MoyesBoys soon.

Tc91

Jonathan Northcroft ‏@JNorthcroft
In Bangkok Moyes didn't sound like missing out on Thiago would be too big a blow. He wants a DM and a Scholes-like all-rounder.

Steve Bates ‏@sbates_people
Myself and other Sunday journos had lunch with Moyes in Bangkok last Friday he identified a goalscoring midfield playmaker as #mufc priority

Fellaini & Fabregas.

Get ready Clegg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom