• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/2014 |OT1| Moyes, Master of Muppets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batigol

Banned
I for one welcome Luis Suarez to Chelsea, buying a striker from Liverpool went well last time.

torreshdnspf.gif

Yeeeeees!!

dc89

@tancredi said:
Whatever will happen, I can tell you that Chelsea have called themselves out for Cavani

Welp. I still believe only City have actually bid, and that was turned down. Time is running out Napoli.

Wes

venison crêpe
"Southampton boss Mauricio Pochettino has confirmed his interest in signing Victor Wanyama, Leandro Damiao and Ever Banega."

Did they strike oil off the Hampshire coast or something?

GQman2121

Banned
I'm stuffed full of hamburger and sausages. Need to nap before blowing shit up later tonight in the name of No Taxation Without Representation.

Anyway, reading up on the news today and it seems like clubs have been busy.

Our midfield is starting to get clogged. I worry about the futures of Chalobah, Piazon, KDB, McEachran and now 20 yr old Marco van Ginkel (MvG). They're at that age where they're going to expect to get time if they practice with the first team.

Ramires, Lampard and Essien will all likely feature, but will any of these kids find a way into Jose's rotation? He doesn't exactly have a track record of taking chances on young talent. If we hold on to Luiz, well he play him in the midfield where it seems he is better suited? What about Mikel and Romeu? I think they're both expendable at this point, but what if they're on the roster in six weeks?

Lots of questions still left to answer. But my main question is, what the fuck is going on with those Liverpool kits this year? All of them. Just. Wow. Other than the detail on the collar and sleeve, the red home isn't that much different than last year. But the other two are on some mid-90's shit. Hopefully they look better in person.

L1NETT

"Southampton boss Mauricio Pochettino has confirmed his interest in signing Victor Wanyama, Leandro Damiao and Ever Banega."

They are owned by a swiss billionaire family I think. They just chose not to spend much money, until now it seems.

Could we please stop quoting Tancredi.

This please. The football equivalent of VG chartz.

Randdalf

Foreign owners and south coast clubs are a potent mixture
for administration
it seems.

Wilbur

Banned
Made sense for Southampton to survive their first year and not splash out on ludicrous wages. Now they have a team that have proven they're good enough to mix it with the big boys and they're looking to add real quality. Damiao is a bit far fetched but the other two - especially Wanyama - are probably achievable, and would improve the team.

justjohn

One guy I trust on twitter chris cohen who works for chelsea tv says the deal with cavani is done and chelsea should be announcing him very soon. If he's wrong then I guess no one can be trusted anymore.

Also I wouldn't mind suarez at chelsea. Hes an utter cunt so he'll fit right in there.

qindarka

Banned
I'm stuffed full of hamburger and sausages. Need to nap before blowing shit up later tonight in the name of No Taxation Without Representation.

Anyway, reading up on the news today and it seems like clubs have been busy.

Our midfield is starting to get clogged. I worry about the futures of Chalobah, Piazon, KDB, McEachran and now 20 yr old Marco van Ginkel (MvG). They're at that age where they're going to expect to get time if they practice with the first team.

Ramires, Lampard and Essien will all likely feature, but will any of these kids find a way into Jose's rotation? He doesn't exactly have a track record of taking chances on young talent. If we hold on to Luiz, well he play him in the midfield where it seems he is better suited? What about Mikel and Romeu? I think they're both expendable at this point, but what if they're on the roster in six weeks?

Lots of questions still left to answer. But my main question is, what the fuck is going on with those Liverpool kits this year? All of them. Just. Wow. Other than the detail on the collar and sleeve, the red home isn't that much different than last year. But the other two are on some mid-90's shit. Hopefully they look better in person.

Don't worry too much. This is Lampard's final season and Essien isn't long for the club either. Players like De Bruyne and Van Ginkel are not youngsters, they are first team players who are being brought in to contribute immediately. Mourinho's record with young players isn't that bad, he was the one who gave a 19 year old Mikel a lot of playing time in an unfamiliar position back when we still had one of the best midfields in the world. Sure, we may be a little overcrowded but better to have a bit more depth than necessary than to be short of players at a crucial point of the season.

As it is, we have Lampard, Essien, Mikel, Ramires and Van Ginkel competing for two midfield spots, assuming we stick to a 4-2-3-1. Seems just right to me. If players like Chalobah are good enough by next season, they could come in to fill in the spot left by Lampard or Essien. I am assuming that Romeu will be going on loan and doesn't have much of a future here and that someone, probably Mikel, may leave now if we get another midfielder in.

And if Luiz never players in midfield again, it will be too soon. We are hardly stacked at CB as it is.

Also I'd love to see chelsea really go for the treble this year. If they're going to have a huge squad they might as well use it properly.

Don't even think about it. The CL is difficult enough to win as it is and we are still a ways behind the truly elite teams like Bayern.

justjohn

Also I'd love to see chelsea really go for the treble this year. If they're going to have a huge squad they might as well use it properly.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris

Youll get one more Europa and all you like it!

Arnie

Chelsea's squad isn't anywhere near good enough for a treble.

Mourinho's fizzy bollocks has gone straight to your head, John.

Wilbur

Banned
Chelsea's squad looks pretty stacked at first glance but then you realise its all in midfield. They're certainly in with a crack at the title but trebles dreams I'd put on hold.

qindarka

Banned
Chelsea's squad looks pretty stacked at first glance but then you realise its all in midfield. They're certainly in with a crack at the title but trebles dreams I'd put on hold.

One can never really predict winning trebles if only because the CL is so difficult to win. Almost all recent winners got fortunate somewhere along the line and could easily have been knocked out en route.

Wilbur

Banned
So PSG will likely line up as

Sirigu; Jallet, Thiago, Sakho, Maxwell; Matuidi, Verratti; Lavezzi, Ibra, Moura/Pastore; Cavani?

On paper that's a scary side. Don't think Blanc will do that well in Europe though if I'm honest.

Not yet on Manolo, but it's basically a done deal. Vucinic to Zenit is likely Sviato's invention. :(

Yeah because in my mind an almost 30 year old striker is a perfect addition to an already old team :(

In other news, CSKA have bought a young Swiss attacking midfielder/winger, Steven Zuber. Don't know anything about him but CSKA have good scouts so he's probably legit.

qindarka

Banned
I'm not giving up hope on Cavani yet. There were a bunch of media outlets reporting that Chelsea had signed him as well, turned out to be bullshit. There has yet to be a reliable source.

Wilbur

Banned
Vucinic leaving Juve? Thought they'd want to get rid of Matri first but then again he's probably more comfortable slumming it on the bench while El Apache and Hercules tear shit up

One can never really predict winning trebles if only because the CL is so difficult to win. Almost all recent winners got fortunate somewhere along the line and could easily have been knocked out en route.

Oh yeah of course, but Bayern absolutely had a will to win everything last year after the Neverkusen season of 2011/12, and it paid off. Chelsea - and every club in Europe apart from Barca really - are a fucking long way from Bayern as it stands though. Would be best just to focus on the league and getting through the group stages, but I think Mourinho will have a point to prove. Chelsea - Madrid next year will be fucking tasty with Ancelotti there as well.

3Sixty

It's more toblerone and cuckoo clocks.

Foreign owners and south coast clubs are a potent mixture
for administration
it seems.

Ahhh but we have owners that actually exist!!!

Made sense for Southampton to survive their first year and not splash out on ludicrous wages. Now they have a team that have proven they're good enough to mix it with the big boys and they're looking to add real quality. Damiao is a bit far fetched but the other two - especially Wanyama - are probably achievable, and would improve the team.

Damiao's agent has confirmed we are in talks.

Though im not overly hyped about him, good player no doubt but 20m Euros i dunno.

Edit: Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri 1m
Stay tuned here, but also don't miss me live at 1.30am @talkSPORT @tsExtraTime : Cavani, Mancini and Leandro Damiao on the menu

TANC PLZ

Koko

Banned
So PSG will likely line up as

Sirigu; Jallet, Thiago, Sakho, Maxwell; Matuidi, Verratti; Lavezzi, Ibra, Moura/Pastore; Cavani?

On paper that's a scary side. Don't think Blanc will do that well in Europe though if I'm honest.

Replace Maxwell with Digne. I agree that they might not go to far but a Semifinals appearance it's not that far.

Besides they can always gain experience and wait for Wenger.

qindarka

Banned
Oh yeah of course, but Bayern absolutely had a will to win everything last year after the Neverkusen season of 2011/12, and it paid off. Chelsea - and every club in Europe apart from Barca really - are a fucking long way from Bayern as it stands though. Would be best just to focus on the league and getting through the group stages, but I think Mourinho will have a point to prove. Chelsea - Madrid next year will be fucking tasty with Ancelotti there as well.

Even then, Bayern might well have lost the final if not for some refereeing errors in the final, especially the preposterous decision not to send Dante off. Not saying they didn't deserve it but goes to show how it could so easily have turned out differently. And I'm going to predict that Bayern will not repeat this year, they are favorites but surely have less than 50% chance of winning.

When was this?

edit: you talking about Napoli's radio station?

Yes. Also Mediaset which seem to come up with a new story every week or so. It's really the best option not to trust these media outlets, unless a large number of outlets are reporting the story and they keep it consistent for a sustained period.

And Tancredi has been an absolute joke in regards to this saga. He seriously expects us to believe that Chelsea raised a 50 million bid to 52 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom