• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| - Mes Que Un... Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caode

That's a tough group for us (Ireland - Group D), should be a very tight group overall. Managed to avoid a lot of the big boys but all of those teams should be more than a tough challenge. Hopefully we can pull through it and it'll give us an excuse for at least 3 match days out on the beer.

nitewulf

Yeah but realistically its only really him or Benzema I can see us getting and its seems more and more likely that Real don't want to sell him.

If I could pick a striker for us to get but I would love us to go for Lewandowski but don't think he would leave Germany.

well, you can only buy players that are for sale...this is the one time i actually agree with Wenger, the strikers that are available aren't going to really improve the team.

The physicality of the Premier League is oftentimes overstated. It's tough, sure, but I still don't believe that it's such a significant barrier that Messi couldn't overcome it. The likes of Silva, Mata, Herrera, Aguero (bulkier now), Cazorla have all had that whole ''they'll be ineffective due to the physicality of the Premier League'' spiel before and they've been incredibly successful. There's been others, too. Obviously Messi would be targeted more vehemently but he's also the best at rolling challenges as they come; commit too much into a tackle and he's shifted his weight and ran past you before you've even clipped him.

Besides that - Bar OG Adam - Stoke have shifted their style and focus under Hughes.
m9 tony pulis era stoke would kill messi

he cant handle #brittania. let him be a flat track bully in smaller leagues

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
It will get rolling once the European seasons are underway but it will never be as active as it was. It was always near the top of the page at all hours.

Bo-Locks

I've lurked in these threads for years and years. It has literally gone through a good 4 or 5 "purges" where the regulars get above their station and then either depart or the mods intervene and force them out.

Within a couple of months the thread will be bristling, full of activity and on the ascendancy again. I'm sure a few others who post very sporadically will know what I mean.

I'm going to try and be more active in the thread this time around.

...anyway

ROONEY!

bone_and_sinew

I guess there aren't really too many actual football fans here, but more fans who only follow their own team/league and other huge clubs.
It's a reflection of talent and power coalescing into an increasingly smaller group of European teams and leagues. Also there's more options now to watch the big leagues thanks to globalization, high speed internet, and increased tv coverage given how lucrative these big leagues have become.

As a kid I never watched the EPL because I didn't have a way how but I did watch the Eredevisie and Brazilian (and many others like the Mexican, Spanish, Italian) leagues cause those were on tv. Nowadays I only bother with the EPL and La Liga. Serie A is a corpse. Ajax, PSV, and Feyenoord were elite teams in Europe. Now Ajax is a farm team for the huge clubs and the other two are non-entities in Europe.
I've got less free time as an adult and more entertainment options, I only want to watch the best of the best.

Was hoping to see more of Depay, been virtually invisible so far.

I guess there aren't really too many actual football fans here, but more fans who only follow their own team/league and other huge clubs.

Beyond following an entire league and other huge clubs? What exactly would constitute an actual football fan? Somebody who watched/followed 4-5 leagues? How would you even have the time?

I follow the PL, CL and La Liga. I might tune in for the odd Bayern and Juventus match. That consumes more than enough of my time, probably too much. The other leagues, Bundesliga, Serie A, Eredevisie and Ligue 1, are shit-shows.

It's a reflection of talent and power coalescing into an increasingly smaller group of European teams and leagues. Also there's more options now to watch the big leagues thanks to globalization, high speed internet, and increased tv coverage given how lucrative these big leagues have become.

As a kid I never watched the EPL because I didn't have a way how but I did watch the Eredevisie and Brazilian (and many others like the Mexican, Spanish, Italian) leagues cause those were on tv. Nowadays I only bother with the EPL and La Liga. Serie A is a corpse. Ajax, PSV, and Feyenoord were elite teams in Europe. Now Ajax is a farm team for the huge clubs and the other two are non-entities in Europe.
I've got less free time as an adult and more entertainment options, I only want to watch the best of the best.

Was hoping to see more of Depay, been virtually invisible so far.

Beyond following an entire league and other huge clubs? What exactly would constitute an actual football fan? Somebody who watched/followed 4-5 leagues? How would you even have the time?

I follow the PL, CL and La Liga. I might tune in for the odd Bayern and Juventus match. That consumes more than enough of my time, probably too much. The other leagues, Bundesliga, Serie A, Eredevisie and Ligue 1, are shit-shows.

I understand. But now you got let's say the CL Qualifiers. I wonder if anyone will watch any of those games even though they're often extremely entertaining, there are from time to time Cinderella stories and for quite a few teams the money that they can make here makes their whole season, even if there is basically still 10 months left.

I mean, a couple of days ago you had West Ham barely scraping through after penalties against Birkirkara from Malta in the EL.

Shame there aren't too many people on here from the smaller countries so there would be more talk from these smaller leagues or qualifiers.

Philly40

Agreed, It does seem a bit quiet,

when I was younger, the draw for the World Cup group stages would have been a massive talking point, but people seem more interested now in the "BIG" clubs.

It also feels strange that a lot of the most vocal posters here are quite happy watching the "BIG" clubs on TV / internet streams, and have probably never been to a live game, even though they probably live close to a local club who could do with the support

It will never be as active as it once was now we can't go off topic. There is only so much you can discuss inbetween games.

Yeah it will we just need some new blood, once the season is in full swing it will pick back up.

Just because the hardcore can't talk OT doesn't mean this place should die, we should all remember why we are here in the first place... football.

Not to flirt with each other.

EmiPrime

I go to Arsenal home games fairly regularly and I don't care for FIFA's bent world cups in Russia and Qatar. I won't watch a minute of them let alone the dull qualifiers.

DBT85

It also feels strange that a lot of the most vocal posters here are quite happy watching the "BIG" clubs on TV / internet streams, and have probably never been to a live game, even though they probably live close to a local club who could do with the support

Where are you pulling this from?

Tubie

This thread has been reborn I think 3 times already. GAF always has an influx of new people that come from the gaming side, so the thread will continuously grow.

It might never be as active as before tho, because now the thread is 100% about Football. Before when there weren't any games on only 1 in 5 posts was actually football related, the rest was offtopic stuff.

I don't know about that. I bet quite a lot of us have been to live games, not just from the big club we support but smaller local ones too

bone_and_sinew

Shame there aren't too many people on here from the smaller countries so there would be more talk from these smaller leagues or qualifiers.
People from smaller countries are just as interested in the big leagues as anyone else and they won't talk about the small leagues here cause they know no one cares except for their countrymen and small fanbase. I know cause I used to live in one for a few years. Once I moved out of that shithole, I haven't watched a single second of that league.

Hell I live in the U.S. now and I don't watch the MLS. I'll watch once David Beckham's team plays. I only watched Miami FC (now Ft. Lauderdale Strikers) because Romario and Zinho were there for a season together.

Bo-Locks

I'll always be a diehard Man Utd fan, I watch every single game and I make sure I go to at least one game a season, but to be honest I'm just not prepared to sink so much of my hard earned money into what is essentially the industry's leading multinational, privately-owned corporation. That shit runs, funds and grows itself, at this point.

I live in Manchester and just got a season ticket to FC United (I watched them get stomped by Benfica last month at the grand opening of their 4500 capacity stadium). I'm actually getting invested in the club and its community roots are really eye-opening and inspiring.

Lunar FC

The biggest team in my state is our college team the New Mexico Lobos, and I go to every game. I can provide a recap after each match if you wish.

Mr.Red

Chelsea: Begovic; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Azpilicueta; Obi Mikel, Matic; Moses, Fàbregas, Hazard; Diego Costa

PSG: Trapp; Van der Wiel, Aurier, David Luiz, Maxwell; Verratti, Stambouli, Matuidi; Augustin, Ibrahimovic, Lucas

bone_and_sinew

when I was younger, the draw for the World Cup group stages would have been a massive talking point, but people seem more interested now in the "BIG" clubs.
The romanticism of national play has been ruined by exposed corruption and the level of play has been eclipsed by top flight European clubs so people become more interested in the big clubs. Germany won the World Cup starting a 36 year old striker and 3 centerbacks. If they were in the the CL, round of 16 would be their ceiling.

This is probably more to do with the fact that a lot of English football supporters have become disillusioned with national football over time. I always enjoy watching the World Cup but 9/10 of the time it's all about club football. That combined with the FIFA corruption scandal and you're asking for a lack of interest. The whole glory supporter angle seems a bit of a generalisation as well.

Bo-Locks

I was just thinking this new side is about to get reamed. lol

I wish these amount of changes could be made in international friendlies again.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

lol what

theres nothing happening atm, just transfers

how many leagues must we follow to be an actual football fan

RiggyRob

lol what

theres nothing happening atm, just transfers

how many leagues must we follow to be an actual football fan

Don't you understand, we must have every live game streamed to our eyes and compile massive databases of how many goals have come off a striker's arse for a dick measuring contest.

moojito

From the flippant responses here I'm starting to think some of you people are posting here without having an officially sanctioned supporters' licence. I'll be informing the authorities.

bone_and_sinew

Damn it I have no idea who won the Bulgarian league cup this year?

What kind of football fan am I?

a bad one :(
How dare you not see that Ludogorets display

Serious answer: I was guessing either Ludo cause of their CL form or Levski Sofia cause they're the traditional power in Bulgaria. Turns out neither won it.

From the flippant responses here I'm starting to think some of you people are posting herewithout having an officially sanctioned supporters' licence. I'll be informing the authorities.
how dare you. I have been a lifelong supporter of PSG, Man City, Juve and Barcelona. Sometimes Real Madrid but depends on the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom