• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT1| - Mes Que Un... Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Poet

Banned
Now Betekkers is gone, it should allow Villa to take Adebayor off us.

Then all Spurs need to do is find a world class striker that nobody else has noticed....

JardeL

My god, the long sleeved version of the City away kit is even worse. I'm dying here.

manchester-city-15-16-away-kit%2B%25282%2529.jpg
manchester-city-15-16-away-kit%2B%25283%2529.jpg

I think it's not that bad, I like it actually. Gala has a lot worse;

Ugly.

My fav kits so far;

la_briola

Hitzfeld: Bayern needs to pay attention not to have too many foreign players...

Alright Mr. Hitzfeld. Let's look back at your CL winning team from 2001.

[IMG*]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKk2tNfWEAA-aNK.png:large[/IMG]

Isn't he mostly talking about the language issue? Like everyones speaking Spanish instead of German.
I bet you, that under Hitzfeld everyone spoke German.

Meier

The home kit looks terrible too, but it might just because that one is very ill-fitting. White (away I assume) looks sharp. Shorts are atrocious.

I like the Gala ones a lot.

RiggyRob

The black United kit would be so much better if they just stuck to red instead of neon Dutch orange and kept the shorts all black instead of the hideous gradient they used.

Also Di Maria should not be sold for less than €80m, he's one of the very few players we have with truly threatening pace.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I don't want Pedro to leave but he wants more first team football. I really hope he ends up at Liverpool for his sake. At Man-U he's just going to be shuffled between first and second teams and in different positions. At Liverpool him, Bentekkers, and Studge would be a fun as hell front 3 to watch.

Meier

I don't want Pedro to leave but he wants more first team football. I really hope he ends up at Liverpool for his sake. At Man-U he's just going to be shuffled between first and second teams and in different positions. At Liverpool him, Bentekkers, and Studge would be a fun as hell front 3 to watch.

They've just spent £29m on Firmino -- even if they play him in the hole, there's no room for those 3 + Coutinho + him. Would be in the same scenario there.

Not to mention you wouldn't play Sturridge on the wing so they'll be in some sort of 4-4-2 variation you'd think.

King_Moc

Banned
They've just spent £29m on Firmino -- even if they play him in the hole, there's no room for those 3 + Coutinho + him. Would be in the same scenario there.

Not to mention you wouldn't play Sturridge on the wing so they'll be in some sort of 4-4-2 variation you'd think.

Yep, no real reason to buy him as it stands. They'd pretty much have to sell someone.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Ugh, I hate 4-4-2 it's the missionary position of football. Also hate giving priority to a question mark in Firmino over a proven quality in Pedro. But I'm biased since I've always been a 4-3-3 man and I want to see Pedro do well.

Ugh, I hate 4-4-2 it's the missionary position of football. Also hate giving priority to a question mark in Firmino over a proven quality in Pedro. But I'm biased since I've always been a 4-3-3 man and I want to see Pedro do well.

Pedro is goals and nothing else imo. And I like to assume that we've seen enough of Hoffenheim to know how good Firmino is.

Maybe Firmino will flourish even more in a team better than Hoffenheim, maybe Pedro will disappoint in a team that don't create chances as easily as Barca do. Who knows?

Jack cw

I'd still rather see Gaudino or Kimmich play. I just don't like Vidal.
You can still watch our amateurs. Both of them are 5 years away from carrying Bayern Munichs midfield. Gaudino has to develop some weight and mass too. The goal is CL this season and you cant even win group stage with them. Besides Kimmich I really doubt Hojbjerg, Gaudino and Kurt have the class for Bayern.

I do think the squad is in better shape this year than last.

You've got above-average to good PL players coming in (yes at a premium), and some interesting pieces like Gomez and Firmino.

Last year it was Balotelli and some guys who (hindsight) are obviously long term projects. And Lovren.

The only guy who fills me with concern is Bogdan. Because of *that* incident.

Well, looks like West Ham may be crashing out of the Euros, but at least we won't have to play any more worthless, cheating, tinpot piece of shit teams like this ensemble of cunts who're currently mugging us off in Malta. Fair play to them though, they chose a gameplan and they stuck to it. If they want to conduct themselves like cheats then that's one thing, but I'm more disappointed at how many of our 'senior' pros have risen to the bait and the entirely lacklustre display we've put on for the travelling fans so far.

Bilic out :p

I do think the squad is in better shape this year than last.

You've got above-average to good PL players coming in (yes at a premium), and some interesting pieces like Gomez and Firmino.

Last year it was Balotelli and some guys who (hindsight) are obviously long term projects. And Lovren.

The only guy who fills me with concern is Bogdan. Because of *that* incident.

Seems to have been a focus thus summer to spend the big money on players who are about to enter their prime. Clyne, Benteke and Firmino are all 23/24 I think.

In hindsight, Lovren (track record), Markovuc(age) and Balotelli (obviously) were massive gambles that all went badly wrong

Firmino is the only one from this summer who is a real gamble imo. With Benteke it depends what we in store for the formation and tactics

Tenebrous

Call me hopelessly optimistic if you want, but I still believe Markovic has a chance here.

Lovren went from playing behind Wanyama & Schneiderlin to an aging Gerrard and occasionally Lucas. A much harder job for a defender.

El Topo

You can still watch our amateurs. Both of them are 5 years away from carrying Bayern Munichs midfield. Gaudino has to develop some weight and mass too. The goal is CL this season and you cant even win group stage with them. Besides Kimmich I really doubt Hojbjerg, Gaudino and Kurt have the class for Bayern.

I honestly don't care all that much about winning Champions League. I had to wait more than ten years after 2001, I can wait another ten years.

Lunar FC

Seems to have been a focus thus summer to spend the big money on players who are about to enter their prime. Clyne, Benteke and Firmino are all 23/24 I think.

In hindsight, Lovren (track record), Markovuc(age) and Balotelli (obviously) were massive gambles that all went badly wrong

Firmino is the only one from this summer who is a real gamble imo. With Benteke it depends what we in store for the formation and tactics

I thought Markovic showed some positive signs at times during the season. I'm also surprised to learn he is only 21.

Call me hopelessly optimistic if you want, but I still believe Markovic has a chance here.

Lovren went from playing behind Wanyama & Schneiderlin to an aging Gerrard and occasionally Lucas. A much harder job for a defender.
Harder for sure, but that's no excuse. Aside from 6 weeks or so in February and March, he was just abysmal. Rubbish at everything.

Blows my mind to this day that we bought him in to be a leader, when he wilts at the first sign of pressure, and is terrified of both other players, and the ball. His passing and composure on the ball is dreadful as well

How Pochettino got 7 months of good form out of him is a mystery, cos you'd need the Millennium Dome to cover any one of the dozen holes in his game
I

I'm a bit worried about Markovic. Even if he has it in him to make strides this season, where is his game time going to come from? As it stands, he's probably behind Lallana and Ibe, and well behind Coutinho and assembly Firmino

Lunar FC

A much as I'd love to see him back in the PL and back at United. How much are we talking here. He went for £80m in his prime and the report is suggesting we'd set a new record, so at least £60m.

Seems pretty low for a guy who scored 60 goals last season. But I suppose he is 30 now.

Doesn't really matter because the deal won't happen.

Perez dislikes Ronaldo but he's not stupid enough to sell him just yet, not when he's bagging 60 goals a season and Bale ain't stepping up. And he won't be coming for under £100 million.

Jack cw

I honestly don't care all that much about winning Champions League. I had to wait more than ten years after 2001, I can wait another ten years.
I love that logic, really.
Everything we accomplished in the last couple of years should be thrown away because some (German) talents need to be established. This isnt some club coming out of nowhere building a squad with talents to be competitive for a season or two. We are now one of the biggest clubs in Europe and we want to stay there and there is no turning back. Deal with it Topo.

I've always felt that Bayern was a bit of a strange team. On paper, they're probably tied with Barca as the strongest team in the world (maybe even better when you consider all areas equally) but it never quite works out.

slider

Lol West Ham going into Extra Time against Birkirkara in the Europa League, a team from Malta.

Smashed them in the end. Take that very small team of probable part timers.

Heh, guess this is our preseason. Should start reasonably well then drop like a stone half way through the season.

Markovic is a classy little player but is definitely at the stage where, like Ibe, he needs games to really kick on.
I thought he did well last year for his first season, especially considering his age.
The red card he got early on seemed to knock him a bit which was a shame.

Would he score 60 in the PL though?

Messi wouldn't get 40 in the Prem so no chance.

Unkle

It's far too hard to assert that Messi wouldn't score 40 goals in the Premier League. He's made a fool of Arsenal, Manchester United (sadly), City, just not Chelsea. His low centre of gravity, vision, pace, agility, and propensity to feint perfectly would cause havoc against the majority of defenses in the league. He's been roughed up before, kicked to pieces, but he keeps coming back. I think he scores 40 in a given season.

DBT85

40 in the PL is a tough ask. The most ever was SheRa and Cole, they got 34 in a 42 game season.

The most since we went to 38 games was 31 and only Suarez and Ronaldo have done that.

Messi might have been kicked around in the odd game for Barca, but in the PL it would be a weekly occurrence.

Imagine the beating his tiny body would take after successive games against WBA, Stoke and Sunderland.

PS Lovren is shit: Can't use the Gerrard excuse for his inexplicable ability to make the worst defensive decision at key times in a match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom