• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT2| Wake Me Up, Yaya Sanogo

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQman2121

Banned
Chico Flores and Pablo Hernandez have left Swansea for Qatar. Swans could land on either side of the table for me this year. They've signed players that make them better, but you never know with a new coach.

Hixx

Zucculini to SAFC fell through because of 'Premier League rules'. So he's going to La Liga. Wonder what the craic is there.

TeddyBoy

When are Liverpool going to replace Suarez?

I read Rodgers saying their summer transfer business shows they're able to attract top talent. Like those 3 players from a team who finished 8th, one who's 34

He knows they're finishing 5th, right?

We aren't replacing directly. Spurs tried to replace Bale with Lamela last year so we're just trying to build a better squad this year. Besides LW/ST (so Suarez's positions), we're now much stronger overall and our starting eleven is better this year compared to last year.

The biggest issue will be how we handle European games and if Rodgers can rotate the squad to compete in both the League and Europe, in his first season with the Europa league he actually did quite a bit of rotation but last year he seemed to stick to the same set of players in the FA Cup and League for the most part. Time will tell if he doesn't like to rotate or he just didn't have the options to rotate last year but will do so this year.

Hixx

Third party ownership?

Well he was bought by City a few weeks ago, and we're loaning him from them, so I'd be surprised. We had to loan Vergini instead of signing him permanently because of third party ownership. Should be abolished worldwide.

Arnie

PSV are interested in Thiago Ilori.
Would be a good loan.

The lad needs game time.
I'm indifferent towards Chelsea. They're just there. They exist in a vacuum of a league that they wholly control. They'll continue to win their domestic double year after year for the foreseeable future and compete in Europe. They have no problems or real concerns. They're just there.

Meanwhile in La Liga we're getting ready to enter a season that has so many on-going story lines that Ken Burns could produce a documentary narrated by Moran Freeman, Tom Hanks and Stephen Fry.
You clearly haven't seen the Premier League for a few years.
When are Liverpool going to replace Suarez?

I read Rodgers saying their summer transfer business shows they're able to attract top talent. Like those 3 players from a team who finished 8th, one who's 34

He knows they're finishing 5th, right?
We've done exceptional business. And we aren't going to directly replace Suarez, just like Atletico didn't directly replace Falcao.

I'd wager that the only team who's done better business than us is Chelsea. City haven't. United certainly haven't.

You could make a case for Arsenal but they've still got too many big gaps.

Our only gap is a central striker, but it's a difficult position to fill because Sturridge is so good. You never saw Dortmund pursuing a top striker when they had Lewandowski, for example.

Remy would have been perfect.

Would be a good loan.

The lad needs game time.

You clearly haven't seen the Premier League for a few years.

We've done exceptional business. And we aren't going to directly replace Suarez, just like Atletico didn't directly replace Falcao.

I'd wager that the only team who's done better business than us is Chelsea. City haven't. United certainly haven't.

Our only gap is a central striker, but it's a difficult position to fill because Sturridge is so good. You never saw Dortmund pursuing a top striker when they had Lewandowski, for example.

Fair enough, makes sense. Is there a striker similar to Remy who's worth pursuing?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
this is why Serie A is fun :lol

Top 5 Maddest Owners in Italian Football Ever

Screen-Shot-2014-08-13-at-18.17.27.png

#5 Antonio Percassi

The former Atalanta player and now owner of Atalanta football club has recently blown away the competition for craziest Italian club owner after his latest antic. Percassi drove down the streets of Atalanta in a MIG fighter jet claiming that he is going to 'bomb the league' for the clubs annual celebrations with the supporters. Only last year to announce new club signing Giulio Migliaccio, a tank was driven over cars painted in the colours of the club's traditional rivals Roma and Brescia, an incident that got Atalanta referred to the Italian Soccer Federation. That's some way to make an entrance though!

#4 Maurizio Zamparini

image.php

The current Palermo owner is renowned for his short temper and lack of patience which has seen him hire and fire 23 coaches since 2002. Zamparini is also known for his ludicrous quotes in which he has called for the imprisonment of referees, the cutting off of his players testicles for him to eat with his salad and his naming of England as 'the land of pirates'. He even called fabled Chelsea flop Adrian Mutu 'a crafty gypsy', although he did say he meant it as a compliment!

#3 Aldo Spinelli

Spinelli has been at the helm of Liverno football club for over 15 years now, and has threatened to sell the Serie B side almost every year of his reign. One of Spinelli's more famous antics came when he tried to address the problem of dwindling attendance at home matches. He said that it was no wonder that people from a 'commie town' (Liverno) didn't want to come to a '420-year old, lousy, cesspit stadium'. Not the best way to drum up attendance figures thats for sure!

#2 Luciano Gaucci

Gaucci has been at the centre of numerous controversies especially whilst owner of the now Serie B team Perugia. He once made comments about cancelling South Korean player Ahn Jung-Hwan after his golden goal striker knocked Italy out of the World Cup in 2002. He also reportedly cancelled an imminent signings contract because he was apparently gay, attempted to bribe a referee with a racehorse and actually signed Colonel Qaddafi's son Saadi Qaddafi, who was later banned for failing a drug's test. Gaucci was eventually jailed for three years over tax fraud after he had been hiding out in the Dominican Republic.

#1 Aurelio De Laurentiis

Screen-Shot-2014-08-13-at-18.02.28-359x359.png

De Laurentiis is a popular Italian film producer, and also the chairman of Napoli. His dramatic tendencies from the world ov movie-making often spill over into his role. De Laurentiis once stormed out of an Italian cup draw on the back of a strangers Vespa, after claiming it was fixed. He even set up a 'fake' press conference to announce Edinson Cavani's departure to Manchester before saying he was staying. Oh and did we mention that he unveils major new signings from under a rubber lion mask? Don't ask us why, we are struggling to understand ourselves!

God I fucking love ADL LOOOOOOOOOL

Arnie

Fair enough, makes sense. Is there a striker similar to Remy who's worth pursuing?
Not really, that's the big issue.

I honestly don't know where we go next with the position and I don't think the club do, either.

Don't want to panic buy a Bony or an Eto'o, but aware that as it stands we're too thin on the ground to play all of our games.

If we could pay £40 million to guarantee Sturridge's fitness all season I think we'd pay it.

Doesn't change the fact without a striker you're giving yourself a tough job of getting top 4

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
OMG IT WORKED! MAROTTA IS A LVGENIUS!

Luisao has reportedly asked Benfica to accept Juventus’ request to release him on a free transfer, to complete a move out to Turin.

asking players to free themselves. NEW LOW
Same shift as in W3. Looks much better than roll.

I agree my dear Polska

Feorax

Not really, that's the big issue.

I honestly don't know where we go next with the position and I don't think the club do, either.

Don't want to panic buy a Bony or an Eto'o, but aware that as it stands we're too thin on the ground to play all of our games.

If we could pay £40 million to guarantee Sturridge's fitness all season I think we'd pay it.

It's the "worth pursuing" bit that's the problem. I can think of a few strikers that would be great for us (Walcott, Jovetic, Aubameyang, Cavani to name but a few...), but none of them are viable deals for numerous different reasons.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
G.Rossi is a brilliant BRILLIANT support striker, he could be just as devastating as Suarez behind Django, easily.

He won't score as much (but then again, who will?) but he'll most definitely put out double figures

Tobinishi

You make it sound like we're going in to the season with no recognised strikers. Sturridge might just not get injured and then we'll be fine.

Sturridge was already injured in preseason, wouldn't count on him the whole season. But Lambert is good enough to replace him for some games.

I would worry more about Sterling. You really rely on his pace and don't have a player to replace him, should he get injured in my opinon.

You make it sound like we're going in to the season with no recognised strikers. Sturridge might just not get injured and then we'll be fine.

No we don't. Sturridge and Lambert is a very thin strikeforce for a club wanting to continue as a top 4 side. Not to mention you have CL commitments.

Even if you avoid injuries, fatigue will surely play a big part. And that's just the physical side, Lambert (in what I've seen of him in a Liverpool shirt) looks a little bit too slow to fit in with your style of play, and as we all know form is vital for strikers. What if Sturridge hits some bad form?

Mastadon

Banned
Sturridge was already injured in preseason, wouldn't count on him the whole season. But Lambert is good enough to replace him for some games.

I would worry more about Sterling. You really rely on his pace and don't have a player to replace him, should he get injured in my opinon.

Markovic is lightning quick by all accounts. Seems like he could perform that role well if Sterling is out. Ibe is also like an unrefined Sterling.

No we don't. Sturridge and Lambert is a very thin strikeforce for a club wanting to continue as a top 4 side. Not to mention you have CL commitments.

Even if you avoid injuries, fatigue will surely play a big part. And that's just the physical side, Lambert (in what I've seen of him in a Liverpool shirt) looks a little bit too slow to fit in with your style of play, and as we all know form is vital for strikers. What if Sturridge hits some bad form?

Well we have Borini too. He's shown that he can score in the league, and could potentially improve in a better team. Unless he leaves ofc.

sohois

Don't really understand the people still against Bony, at this point. Remy was obviously the better deal and I don't particularly rate Bony myself, but for a second striker who is going to make at most 20 starts in all competitions he would do fine.

People just seem to think Liverpool can spend big money on another striker and slot him in next to Sturridge, but it just wouldn't work; in fact it would be a complete waste of resources. The Suarez replacement will be Lallana/Markovic. Any striker Liverpool sign is purely there in case Sturridge is injured.

lawd thats class

His defense of the gypsy comment was amazing

"When I spoke about Adrian Mutu, describing him as a `crafty little gypsy,' I did not mean to offend him," Zamparini said.

"On the contrary, I was simply justifying his behavior, remembering that he comes from post-communist Romania. What Mutu did was an instinct that comes with his nationality," he said.

"Say for example, Diego Maradona had been born in Oxford instead of the Argentine suburbs, he would never have scored the `Hand of God' goal at the [1986] World Cup," Zamparini said.

"Craftiness is a Romanian characteristic, they have it in their DNA. They developed it as part of their survival instinct," he added.

Mastadon

Banned
Don't really understand the people still against Bony, at this point. Remy was obviously the better deal and I don't particularly rate Bony myself, but for a second striker who is going to make at most 20 starts in all competitions he would do fine.

People just seem to think Liverpool can spend big money on another striker and slot him in next to Sturridge, but it just wouldn't work; in fact it would be a complete waste of resources. The Suarez replacement will be Lallana/Markovic. Any striker Liverpool sign is purely there in case Sturridge is injured.

No that's entirely why I wouldn't want Bony. I don't see how he'd fit in to our style of play if he's upfront on his own, and £20m isn't a small amount for a player who will only play a limited role.

PowderedToast

i'm really excited about our midfield, their potential is ridiculous

when you have fast, technically efficient attacking players that can play through the middle or out on the wing, rotating between each other, it gives you a lot more diversity in breaking down defences. our link-up play is already sublime without the additions of players like markovic and lallana. not to mention we've finally added a consistent fullback with pace in moreno.

in a few months we might be looking back at our concern over a striker and laughing, it's hard to know how much we will actually need one. so they basically need to have all the attributes of sturridge, not be quite as good, be fine with sitting on the bench, and not ask for too much money

edit: considering how the past few weeks gone, i now think we should keep borini. his ability to play out wide is also looking like more and more of an asset.

sohois

No that's entirely why I wouldn't want Bony. I don't see how he'd fit in to our style of play if he's upfront on his own, and £20m isn't a small amount for a player who will only play a limited role.

But there really isn't any reason to be worried about the money at this point. Liverpool could spend the £20mil on him and still have another £40million to spend in January without breaking a sweat.

Sturridge alone won't make up for Suarez's goal numbers. Europe is thrown into the mix, even if you get knocked out of CL you will be in EL.

You are definitely looking for more goals from Sterling, Henderson, Coutinho this season.

L1NETT

Just done some stat scouting of Wilfred Bony. According to the boffins at whoscored.com calculations

+ Strengths
Finishing - Strong
Long shots - Strong
Headed attempts - Strong

- Weaknesses
(Player has no significant weaknesses)

Wilfried Bony's Style of Play
Gets fouled often
Likes to shoot from distance
Likes to do layoffs
Does not dive into tackles

How useful is that

His defense of the gypsy comment was amazing

"When I spoke about Adrian Mutu, describing him as a `crafty little gypsy,' I did not mean to offend him," Zamparini said.

"On the contrary, I was simply justifying his behavior, remembering that he comes from post-communist Romania. What Mutu did was an instinct that comes with his nationality," he said.

"Say for example, Diego Maradona had been born in Oxford instead of the Argentine suburbs, he would never have scored the `Hand of God' goal at the [1986] World Cup," Zamparini said.

"Craftiness is a Romanian characteristic, they have it in their DNA. They developed it as part of their survival instinct," he added.

gyi3P3f.gif

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
lawd thats class

funniest quotes (we post this quite frequently but it's worth it)

"ROSSI IS LIKE MY WIFE, I WANT HIM ALL TO MYSELF."

After firing Delio Rossi following the humiliating 7-0 loss to Udinese and claiming he "ruined Palermo", Zamparini rehired the Italian less than two months later and confessed he had a soft spot for the tactician before parting company with him once again after the season ended.

"PALERMO HAVE A COACH WITH NO BALLS."

The 70-year-old gave a frank assessment of Delio Rossi after the 1-1 draw against Bari last December. The Serie A cellar dwellers played the match with 10 men for nearly 60 minutes but were able to erase a 1-0 deficit and earn a draw leaving Zamparini to question his coach's manhood.

"THIS IS NOT A GROUP OF MEN, IT IS A TEAM OF GIRLS."

Zamparini lashed out at his side after they took a 1-0 lead into the interval only to conceded three goals in the second half and succumb to a 3-1 defeat to Torino on February 10, 2008. It was the club's fifth loss in six games, prompting him to liken his players to a bunch of schoolgirls.

Welcome back to Serie A Palermo :loool

Napoli's Aurelio De Laurentiis

"THE ENGLISH LIVE BADLY, EAT BADLY AND THEIR WOMEN DO NOT WASH."

How do you hit back at those who claim Premier League clubs want Marek Hamsik and Ezequiel Lavezzi? Easy, you advise your star players about the perils of English life.

"If they want to go to England then in the end they're going to go, but they need to understand this: the English live badly, eat badly and their women do not wash their genitalia. To them, a bidet is a mystery."

"DONADONI SAID WE NEED A MIDFIELDER? WHY DOESN'T HE BUY ONE?"

During the summer of 2009, De Laurentiis conducted a brilliant campaign in the transfer market. However, Roberto Donadoni said he wanted a left-sided midfielder via the media and it did not go well with his boss.

"Donadoni said we need a left midfielder? Why doesn't he buy one then? If he buys him then that will be good." Five months later Donadoni was no longer the coach.

"IF MAZZONI STARTS BEING STUPID THEN I WILL CHOP HIS BALLS OFF."

With transfer rumours continuing to revolve around Napoli's best players, the owner responded brutally to the possibility of Lavezzi leaving the San Paolo.

He said: "If [Alejandro] Mazzoni (Lavezzi's agent) starts being stupid then I will chop his balls off."

"MESSI IS A CRETIN."

From their pre-season camp, the Italian film guru questioned Lionel Messi's decision to travel to this summer's Copa America.

"Messi is a cretin who accepted to go there. If I was Messi I would have said 'I won't come to show myself up in front of four idiots who have no clue on how to play me'.

"I WILL QUIT FOOTBALL. YOU LOT ARE ALL S**T."

De Laurentiis had hoped for a simple Serie A fixture list due to Napoli's commitments in the Champions League. He got anything but as they were drawn against AC Milan on week three - which takes place within days the Champions League group stages.

"I will quit football. You lot are all s**t," he said as he left the Lega Calcio offices.

"I will go back to making films. It's a disgrace everything is fixed and I am ashamed to be an Italian."

there's more :lol I'm dying :lol

We want Cellino back :(

King_Moc

Banned

Agreed. I think it'll be 4-5-1's and 4-3-3's all season with just one upfront. The midfield should pick up a lot more goals this time round.

I think the issue with Bony is that he just doesn't suit Liverpool's game. We need someone quick. I think we should have hung onto Origi tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom