• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT2| Wake Me Up, Yaya Sanogo

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueBlue

BvO_Wk_IMAACB-8.jpg:large

Woodward looks rapey.

3Sixty

James Pearce @JamesPearceEcho · 3m

Saints fans chanting Rickie Lambert's name. Not so complimentary about Dejan Lovren.....

LegoArmo

I'm obsessed with transfers. I can't get them off my mind. I wake up, transfers. I go to sleep, transfers. I have a wank, transfers.

Salvadora

It can be justified by him being around for 10-15 years, that he's British, he knows the league... it's a lot of money. But it's still under that 30m barrier, you know?

We spent that amount on Berbatov, on Rooney, on Rio, on fucking Fellaini. It seems to me that under the Glazers/Woodward, there's a glass ceiling in terms of how much they'll allow to be spent on an individual; doesn't matter who it is or was, but I think 30m is just the new 20m. That's the way the market's going. Most players coveted by other teams - especially in internal league transactions, like City buying Barry and Milner and Santa Cruz - is going to come with a big price tag (which isn't really a big price tag nowadays because of the distortion of the market).
Wouldn't the Shaw transfer have set a precedent for the Glazers in terms of transfer fees/wages for young players?

Surely by that standard Vidal could be justified because he's one of the best in the world and would immediately improve an area in the squad that has been seriously lacking for a number of years.

At the end of the day, I don't think pennypinching over transfer fees is the root of the problem. Sure, Woodward is in all likelihood a skinflint in negotiations, but he's paid the price on a number of occasions now. Hell, he could be a ditherer like Moyes or chasing incredibly unrealistic targets like we have just heard yesterday.

Wilbur

Banned
And none of those players barring Tevez are ones I would consider world class. The point being, City didnt automatically start signing WC players while they were out of Europe. They went through a lot of shit like Robinho before being able to establish themselves at the top, giving them the flexibility to sign great ones like Aguero and Silva. United needs to rebuild from the ground up, players dont believe in United anymore, youve lost your place at the top of the hill. Expecting Woodward to work miracles with the current perception surrounding United is mental.

The difference with City is they were nothing. They hadn't made Europe since 1976 or something like that, I don't fucking know.

Not to sound like a cunt, but we're Manchester United. City were this little club in the shadow of ours, they started flashing money around and people were eager to sign up because of that.

They might not have been world class, but for a club like City to come from relative obscurity (for lack of a better term) and start spending 20m on every single player they buy shows that if you offer enough, then players will be willing to leave Real Madrid or Man United or Barcelona.

They signed Robinho the year after they finished eighth or ninth or something. It doesn't matter how shit he is now or how shit he was at City. At the time, that was fucking mad. Fucking MAD. He left Real Madrid for Manchester City, because they offered him enough money. Regardless of whether he's a mercenary or not, because I think almost any player would be a 'merc' (read: they'd transfer) if you're willing to pay them enough.

The difference with City is they were nothing. They hadn't made Europe since 1976 or something like that, I don't fucking know.

Not to sound like a cunt, but we're Manchester United. City were this little club in the shadow of ours, they started flashing money around and people were eager to sign up because of that.

They might not have been world class, but for a club like City to come from relative obscurity (for lack of a better term) and start spending 20m on every single player they buy shows that if you offer enough, then players will be willing to leave Real Madrid or Man United or Barcelona.

They signed Robinho the year after they finished eighth or ninth or something. It doesn't matter how shit he is now or how shit he was at City. At the time, that was fucking mad. Fucking MAD. He left Real Madrid for Manchester City, because they offered him enough money. Regardless of whether he's a mercenary or not, because I think almost any player would be a 'merc' (read: they'd transfer) if you're willing to pay them enough.
Wilb, good to see you back

Manager

Didn't Robinho have a conference by himself talking about how he wanted to leave Real lol before City came? Or do I misremember that?

Dat El Ghazi

I'd like him to start over Kishna, Schöne doesn't even care where he's positioned. Eventually this would be ideal:

Cilessen
Van Rhijn/Ligeon - Veltman - Moisander - Boilesen
Schöne - Blind - Klaassen
El Ghazi - Zivkovic - Kishna

Viergever over Blind if he leaves, or over Moisander when he inevitably leaves next season.

Danchi

And that worries me.

Juve, Roma, Atletico, Dortmund, Liverpool and plenty of other teams are building strong squads without spending over €30m on players.

Picking up one or two marquee players won't suddenly transform this squad. They needed to be picking up players much earlier in the summer. I mean, even historically Utd scouting network isn't exactly great. They tended to just buy the best players from other teams in the league.

Ferguson deserves some of the blame because he hasn't left this squad in a good position. The young players he's groomed (whether from the academy like Evans, Cleverley etc. or those he's bought like Smalling and Jones) don't look good enough and he relied on the old guard from '92 way too long.

I'm on my phone right now and probably not articulating myself very well, but this club needs way more than a Vidal and a Di Maria.

kharma45

It can be justified by him being around for 10-15 years, that he's British, he knows the league... it's a lot of money. But it's still under that 30m barrier, you know?

We spent that amount on Berbatov, on Rooney, on Rio, on fucking Fellaini. It seems to me that under the Glazers/Woodward, there's a glass ceiling in terms of how much they'll allow to be spent on an individual; doesn't matter who it is or was, but I think 30m is just the new 20m. That's the way the market's going. Most players coveted by other teams - especially in internal league transactions, like City buying Barry and Milner and Santa Cruz - is going to come with a big price tag (which isn't really a big price tag nowadays because of the distortion of the market).

Moyes admitting our targets last year were Cesc, Ronaldo and Bale would suggest otherwise. Adds more credence to the claim that we matched, and likely exceeded, Madrid's bid for Bale.

Go_Ly_Dow

Moyes admitting our targets last year were Cesc, Ronaldo and Bale would suggest otherwise. Adds more credence to the claim that we matched, and likely exceeded, Madrid's bid for Bale.

I take it as that we wasted precious time attempting to obtain unobtainable players and then when Moyes and Woodward realised this they fucking played 27mil for Fellaini in complete panic.

People pity him and say he wasn't aloud to bring the players in he needed but now I see it as he was but wasted that time.

Tc91

I think Moyes is frontin

Same, if we had that kind of money to throw around like you said we'd have no problem paying 50-60m for Vidal. The club won't spend that amount.

We'll end up with Blind/Rojo and be done and if I'm honest 4th is going to be a struggle with our team. It's so bad.

kharma45

Probably did but Levy was never going to sell Bale to another Premier League team.

No doubt about that.

I think Moyes is frontin

I doubt it. At that time a big name was needed to help not just the team but Moyes too. Unfortunately he went too big.

Same, if we had that kind of money to throw around like you said we'd have no problem paying 50-60m for Vidal. The club won't spend that amount.

We'll end up with Blind/Rojo and be done and if I'm honest 4th is going to be a struggle with our team. It's so bad.

As Arnie said, it's equally as likely Vidal just doesn't want to move to United.

I don't want us to go ALL city, but we have to combine the young players coming out with spending the money like you are talking about on WC players. Or mid table will be embraced.

I am also very worried about just how we play. Hopefully as games go by that changes under LVG, but Swansea was like a repeat of Moyes. We used to siege defenses at the end if we were 1 goal down we just don't seem to have that anymore. No quality in the attacking play is a big worry.

pulga

Banned
Wilbs stop acting as if Robinho left Madrid because of greener pastures lol

Clashed with Capello and deteriorated his standing with the fans and management, dissing the club on occasions. Robinho was a cunt and Madrid was ecstatic to finally see him leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom