• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT2| Wake Me Up, Yaya Sanogo

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Topo

Pep didn't like Ibrahimovic, sold him too. Not world class innit.

Did he sell him to a domestic competitor during the season? There's few players I would file under world-class, Mata's not one of them. He could be though.

Just to be clear, just because United can't seem to sign a proven star doesn't mean they can't sell useful players that will help them along.

When Man City became rich, they bought Yaya, Kompany, Silva, Robinho, Aguero etcetera etcetera

A fair few of these were bought after the club finished eighth or sixth or fifth

It isn't just about our lack of Europe or the CL (look at Liverpool's signings the last few years; Sturridge left Chelsea, Suarez left a CL club in Ajax).

Really, the problem is we're unwilling to spend lots of money. If we threw 60m at Juve and gave Vidal 200k a week, you think the transfer wouldn't happen because we aren't in the CL?

Glazers economic calculations are screwing us over.

Manager

When Man City became rich, they bought Yaya, Kompany, Silva, Robinho, Aguero etcetera etcetera

A fair few of these were bought after the club finished eighth or sixth or fifth

It isn't just about our lack of Europe or the CL (look at Liverpool's signings the last few years; Sturridge left Chelsea, Suarez left a CL club in Ajax).

Really, the problem is we're unwilling to spend lots of money. If we threw 60m at Juve and gave Vidal 200k a week, you think the transfer wouldn't happen because we aren't in the CL?

I think Garry Cook went out and said that Yaya was the catalyst, when he arrived everything changed regarding recruitment. It was huge that City were able to sign someone from Barcelona. Silva and the rest joined after that.

Kompany was bought before the owners came.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

that seems like a bad way to run a football club. Even one the size of Man Utd.

They should just accept Ferguson torched the place on his way out and rebuild with youth.

Wilbur

Banned
I think Garry Cook went out and said that Yaya was the catalyst, when he arrived everything changed regarding recruitment. It was huge that City were able to sign someone from Barcelona. Silva and the rest joined after that.

Kompany was bought before the owners came.

Yeah Kompany was bought under Thaksin, right? Still, my point is: offer enough money and they will come.

Mastadon

Banned
Johnson is alright on the left because he actually has to think about what he's doing rather than just bombing up the pitch and losing the ball.

pulga

Banned

You're acting as if all those players came to City at the same time. Took a lot of time for City to get where they are, and they did so by buying mostly mercenaries at the beginning (Robinho, Tevez, Yaya)

No one wanted Sturridge, and please dont insult this forum by pretending jumping from Eredivisie to a "big" PL club isnt a logical choice.

Wilbur

Banned
£120m spent in the last calendar year would suggest that you are.

It's like me buying shirts. I won't spend 60 quid on one shirt, but I'll happily buy ten 20 pound ones. I can justify it somehow.

We'll buy a million players if they're around 25m quid. We aren't going to spend 50-60m on one player.

Yeah Kompany was bought under Thaksin, right? Still, my point is: offer enough money and they will come.

Kompany was hardly even a key player for HSV when he was bought... and lets not forget how much trash City went through, for a lot of money, before they made their way up to the top when they could sign actual good players. I still remember playing them just after they got rich and seeing those washed up trashy players run around, fucking Robinho lol who really only went around for money at that point. It did take a few years for them to start signing real quality.

El Topo

£120m spent in the last calendar year would suggest that you are.

Their four signings don't seem that bad on paper actually. It's still way too early to say how their season will go. If Van Gaal fails however United will have to look at the club itself to find the fault.

Reminds me of Schalke actually. Great players, but it never really seems to click no matter who they bring in as manager.

Salvadora

It's like me buying shirts. I won't spend 60 quid on one shirt, but I'll happily buy ten 20 pound ones. I can justify it somehow.

We'll buy a million players if they're around 25m quid. We aren't going to spend 50-60m on one player.
But proportionally, spending the likes of £30m on an 18 year old LB isn't that much different.

sohois

Lucas started most of Liverpool's matches up until his injury at Christmas and they were absolutely fine. Y'all are talking like he's fucking Poulsen or something.

So long as he is the deeper of the midfielders I don't see an issue.

Ally1987

10491182_571769842968552_3491734927884021715_n.png

You bought Shaw for £30m. Juve know you're desperate and loaded. They'll just wait till you offer silly money their way

£100m. Pay up

Wilbur

Banned
You're acting as if all those players came to City at the same time. Took a lot of time for City to get where they are, and they did so by buying mostly mercenaries at the beginning (Robinho, Tevez, Yaya)

No one wanted Sturridge, and please dont insult this forum by pretending jumping from Eredivisie to a "big" PL club isnt a logical choice.

I don't understand the relevancy of the fact that they may be mercenaries. Probably helps my point, to be honest.

But by August 2009:

an outlay of over £100 million on players Robinho, Gareth Barry, Roque Santa Cruz, Kolo Touré, Emmanuel Adebayor, Carlos Tevez and Joleon Lescott.

All of those players bar Kolo were around 20-25m, and they finished fifth that year.

Ultimately, my point is that I don't think the fact we're in Europe will hinder whether or not the likes of Angel di Maria wants to sign for us. If - understandably - he says "well you're not in the Champions League so I want more money to play for you", it'll be because of that reluctance to pay up that we don't get him, not because he's unwilling purely because we aren't in Europe.

And yes, Suarez leaving Ajax is an obvious career move. But they didn't get back in the CL for another two years after that. Herrera left Bilbao for us this summer when they had made the CL; we're a step up in terms of club, so therefore the lack of Europe didn't deter him.

Manager

City has barely bought any players that cost more than £25m though.

Kompany was hardly even a key player for HSV when he was bought... and lets not forget how much trash City went through, for a lot of money, before they made their way up to the top when they could sign actual good players. I still remember playing them just after they got rich and seeing those washed up trashy players run around, fucking Robinho lol who really only went around for money at that point. It did take a few years for them to start signing real quality.

Yep:
Owners arrive 2008-spring 2010:
Robinho (mercenary)
De Jong
Bellamy
Bridge
SWP
Given
Zabaleta
Kompany
Ben Haim
Glauber
Adebayor (mercenary)
Tevez (mercenary)
Lescott
Santa Cruz
Kolo (mercenary)
Barry
Adam Johnson
Sylvinho
Vieira

Then Yaya signed in the summer of 2010 and Silva, Balotelli etc joined.

Wilbur

Banned
But proportionally, spending the likes of £30m on an 18 year old LB isn't that much different.

It can be justified by him being around for 10-15 years, that he's British, he knows the league... it's a lot of money. But it's still under that 30m barrier, you know?

We spent that amount on Berbatov, on Rooney, on Rio, on fucking Fellaini. It seems to me that under the Glazers/Woodward, there's a glass ceiling in terms of how much they'll allow to be spent on an individual; doesn't matter who it is or was, but I think 30m is just the new 20m. That's the way the market's going. Most players coveted by other teams - especially in internal league transactions, like City buying Barry and Milner and Santa Cruz - is going to come with a big price tag (which isn't really a big price tag nowadays because of the distortion of the market).

Tc91

We're fucked IMO. Incompetent CEO/Executive vice chairman or whatever that chinless window licker calls himself. All year he's said that last summers transfer window was a failure which damaged the club and would never happen again. Well it's two weeks until the close of the window, all mooted transfers of top quality players have fallen through and any players we now bring in won't be of high enough quality to make a real difference.

But it's alright. I'm watching Aladdin right now.

BvO_Wk_IMAACB-8.jpg:large

We spent that amount on Berbatov, on Rooney, on Rio, on fucking Fellaini. It seems to me that under the Glazers/Woodward, there's a glass ceiling in terms of how much they'll allow to be spent on an individual; doesn't matter who it is or was, but I think 30m is just the new 20m. That's the way the market's going. Most players coveted by other teams - especially in internal league transactions, like City buying Barry and Milner and Santa Cruz - is going to come with a big price tag (which isn't really a big price tag nowadays because of the distortion of the market).

But you already went past that 30m with Mata.

pulga

Banned
And none of those players barring Tevez are ones I would consider world class. The point being, City didnt automatically start signing WC players while they were out of Europe. They went through a lot of shit like Robinho before being able to establish themselves at the top, giving them the flexibility to sign great ones like Aguero and Silva. United needs to rebuild from the ground up, players dont believe in United anymore, youve lost your place at the top of the hill. Expecting Woodward to work miracles with the current perception surrounding United is mental.

Edit: or like Manager says, the good ones came post-Yaya. Players started having a different perception of City once they managed to land Yaya.

Wilbur

Banned
Charlton started well Wilbz

Sami Hypia had a rubs start for Brighton....lost to Birmingham. Never a good sign

Who's in charge of Charlton at the moment? I haven't a fucking clue

But you already went past that 30m with Mata.

Yeah, because he's seen as a big special talent, but 37m isn't that far removed from 30.

I'm talking about the amount it will take to get ADM or Vidal. It'll stretch right past 40m and into the 50s and 60s. Don't see them just smashing our transfer record like that because they're probably worried it'll set a precedent.

Yeah, because he's seen as a big special talent, but 37m isn't that far removed from 30.

I'm talking about the amount it will take to get ADM or Vidal. It'll stretch right past 40m and into the 50s and 60s. Don't see them just smashing our transfer record like that because they're probably worried it'll set a precedent.

And that worries me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom