• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT4| Did you see that Ludogorets display last night?

sneaky77

Well everything basically. I used to get it on satellite but now...... Wait what do you mean they blocked the premier league??? Which bein are you talking about because I thiiiink NA has a different bein, not sure.

Whaaaaaaaat?!!? Could you link the bein site that had the working paypal??

A year actually.

I am using dishworld sports on my roku.. I get both beinsports and beinin español only live games it seems.

Salvadora

UEFA, first and foremost, should prevent Champions League teams dropping into the Europa League after failing at the group stages.

Devalues the competition in a way imo.

Actually read a pretty lengthy article in the Daily Mail last night that suggested they move to this method. Hope it pans out.
Champions League holders should automatically be in pot 1. If that isn't the case already. I think being more successful in the competition should be the requirement for a higher coefficient.

Meier

From how many leagues, though?

In truth there's no "perfect" way of arranging the seedings.
I would imagine it would be from the leagues with the highest UEFA coefficient. This is how Martin Samuel suggested it in that article I referenced:
The co-efficient rankings that are used to insure the most powerful against their mediocrity could equally be used to implement a fairer competition. UEFA’s points system also reveals the identity of the strongest leagues in club competition — currently Spain, England, Germany, Portugal, Italy, Russia and France.

So the champions of those countries should be the seven top seeds, plus the Champions League holders. This would create a more egalitarian pot A, comprising Atletico Madrid, Manchester City, Bayern Munich, Benfica, Juventus, CSKA Moscow, Paris Saint Germain and Real Madrid. Fairer already.

Pot B would then be taken from the champions of the next eight leagues off the rank, if they had qualified – meaning Ukraine (Shakhtar Donetsk), Holland (Ajax), Belgium (Anderlecht), Switzerland (Basle) and Greece (Olympiacos), plus the second-placed teams from Spain (Barcelona), England (Liverpool) and Germany (Borussia Dortmund).

Using this system, pot C would be Malmo, BATE Borisov, Apoel Nicosia, Sporting Lisbon, Roma, Zenit St Petersburg, Monaco and Chelsea, and pot D the remainder, including Arsenal and Bayer Leverkusen, who cannot surely expect to come fourth and be seeded any higher. That way there would be genuine movement in the rankings, and fresh match-ups each year.
That makes the most sense. This is the Champions League after all.

I don't think the current system is unfair.

Perform in Europe, gain a higher coefficient, and move up the pots. The only injusticas I can see are putting Porto/Benfica in pot 1.
The system protects those who have been in it the longest time because by being in Pot 1, you're at a massive advantage currently since it means no Bayern, Madrid or Barca right off the bat. It's a lot easier to "perform in Europe" and maintain a higher coefficient when you have easier opponents.

UEFA, first and foremost, should prevent Champions League teams dropping into the Europa League after failing at the group stages.

Devalues the competition in a way imo.

Absolutely

And not just cos I'd rather finish third than fourth :p

not really, think we probably have the squad now to give the EL a decent go

Salvadora

The system protects those who have been in it the longest time because by being in Pot 1, you're at a massive advantage currently since it means no Bayern, Madrid or Barca right off the bat. It's a lot easier to "perform in Europe" and maintain a higher coefficient when you have easier opponents.
But the vast majority of teams who are in pot 1 are the teams that should be in pot 1.

City are a "new" club and shouldn't jump the line because of a domestic competition.

Posted?

bwnqjkcicaarsvc_500x394.jpg

According to Marca some ad Gatorade put on Twitter.

Translation: " Greatness come with Real sweat" " Congratulations Falcao "

Barzul

That makes the most sense. This is the Champions League after all.

And again I don't see why it should be any different. It's already a challenge to qualify for the competition and do consistently good in it. Teams should be rewarded for that. Just like they should be punished when they drop out and reenter as we're seeing with Liverpool and inevitably Man United. If they want it to be just Champions playing and winning it, they should just restrict it to only teams that won their league titles and be done with.

Meier

But the vast majority of teams who are in pot 1 are the teams that should be in pot 1.

City are a "new" club and shouldn't jump the line because of a domestic competition.

If you're going to call something the Champions League, then champions should be rewarded. Being just good enough to enter the competition for a decade shouldn't mean you're situated better than a team who is winning titles.

Salvadora

If you're going to call something the Champions League, then champions should be rewarded. Being just good enough to enter the competition for a decade shouldn't mean you're situated better than a team who is winning titles.
It is rewarding the champions, the champions of Europe.

You have spent hundreds of millions of pounds to compete. You have no excuse for not going further in Europe.

Look at Arsenal, for example. Dortmund the last 3/4 years. Last year was a group of death. Some protection that is.

Barzul

Then restrict it to just Champions.

Meier

Here's the article from Sky btw:

UEFA has confirmed that, under new proposals, the top eight seeds would comprise of the defending Champions League winners, along with the seven domestic league winners of the top-ranked UEFA nations.

Initial talks over the seeding system took place earlier this year, and the plans were approved by the club competitions committee in May.

UEFA president Michel Platini, and other top officials, hope the new rules will prevent defending league champions seeded lower than other teams from their country.
The plan needs approval from the UEFA Executive Committee before it can be introduced but it is hoped it would take effect from next season.

UEFA's next Executive Committee meeting takes place on September 18 in Nyon.
http://www1.skysports.com/football/...ans-change-to-champions-league-seeding-system

Arsenal have been in the CL for 17 straight years and qualified for the knockout stages for all but on year, and that year we got to the Uefa Cup final. We deserve to be in pot 1 more than City, who have done absolutely nothing of note since playing in the CL. If City want to get in pot 1 then show the consistency we have.

It's just how football works

You win the league, you get more money to try and win it again
You finish fourth, you get more money to do it again

It's like Dota. The better you do, the easier it is to carry on doing well. Seems a bit counter-intuitive to competition, but I can't really come up with a good reason for it to be any different. Do well, get rewarded.

Clegg

United Bros: Michael Cox has written a good tactical analysis on where United may be headed when everyone is fit. Also goes on to explain why Di Maria may not be a perfect fit out wide. It's on the ESPN site.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
seems Milan rejected Benfica's offer for Cristante... well fuck you too Berlusconi :(

Salvadora

If it were up to me I'd say FUCK THE SEEDING and just put everyone in one pot and draw randomly.
That could result in scrub groups though.

Wouldn't mind, say, a real group of death consisting of Chelsea/Madrid/Bayern/PSG.

Just prevent clubs from same country being drawn together.

Torres is done. 2 years deal, 3.5m per year, free transfer, no severance. Somebody had to give up, apparently it was Torres.

He'll be in Italy in a few hours and he'll undergo the medicals tomorrow morning/afternoon. Then he'll be at San Siro for our first match. Just like Ibra.

Just like Ibra.

:(
seems Milan rejected Benfica's offer for Cristante... well fuck you too Berlusconi :(

Just give him one or more two chances with us :(

Torres is done. 2 years deal, 3.5m per year, free transfer, no severance. Somebody had to give up, apparently it was Torres.

He'll be in Italy in a few hours and he'll undergo the medicals tomorrow morning/afternoon. Then he'll be at San Siro for our first match. Just like Ibra.

Just like Ibra.

:(

Just give him one or more two chances with us :(
HALLELUJAH

SWEET BABY JESUS

So basically the likes of Porto/Benfica are still going to be in pot 1 regardless?

This is basically just benefiting City and on the very, very rare occasion Athletico/Dortmund win the league.

Not necessarily.

Under that type of system - going into this season, Madrid, Barca, Chelsea and Arsenal would all be in Pot 2. Even if Madrid/Barca win, that puts 3 current Pot 1 teams into Pot 2. So you could still very easily up with a group like City have now, just replace Bayern with Madrid/Barca.

Edit - My mistake, of course Madrid would be put into Pot 1 because they are defending champs. Even so, Pot 2 would have alot of good teams in it.

omgkitty

Get French Football ‏@GFN_France 4m

No agreement between AS Roma and PSG for Adrien Rabiot yet, according to Sky Italia. #ASR #PSG

Salvadora

Not necessarily.

Under that type of system - going into this season, Madrid, Barca, Chelsea and Arsenal would all be in Pot 2. Even if Madrid/Barca win, that puts 3 current Pot 1 teams into Pot 2. So you could still very easily up with a group like City have now, just replace Bayern with Madrid/Barca.

Edit - My mistake, of course Madrid would be put into Pot 1 because they are defending champs. Even so, Pot 2 would have alot of good teams in it.
When they are talking about past champions do they not mean past Champions League winners? Else, the likes of Chelsea wouldn't make it because they haven't won the league in a while.

Just seems unnecessary and I can't imagine why the top clubs would agree with it, unless they don't have a choice.

Top Bottom