• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT7| daily blind is a renegade of funk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Imagine if Suarez still played for us (minus the ban) and Bale still played for Spurs. The league would be so good.

Please don't. It will make it less painful when Bale is playing for United next season.

Imagine if Bale still played for Southampton. At least then he would play for a half decent team.

wooden pls

After losing to us they are now going to get relegated like we all thought they would.

@people who simper over Keane, does he ever address the base hypocrisy of criticising the way football figures do things in public now while he's releasing his second autobiography?

Hargreaves: 'Hughes' corners aren't good enough, they need to be whipped in like Beckham'

Might wanna lower your standards a bit you identity-crisis suffering matchstick cunt

scently

I have been meaning to discuss this for a while, and this is addressed primarily to the liverpool fans here; what do you guys think of Rodgers with regards to his spending. I mean since he came onboard its been a case of buying several players and then selling or loaning them after a season or less. I am all for turnover when things are not working out (this is one of the problems we have had in Manutd), but your best player last season was a player before his time. Infact, your important players came in before his time. Sturridge is the only standout, I feel, in his buys and he was got for cheap.

This also brings me to my next point; How do you feel about the signings you have made. To be more clear, given the amount of money the club spent on transfers this summer, don't you think you could have gotten more out of it. I know its still to early make any definitive statement one way or the other, with regards to success and failure of your buys. I mean your spend is the second highest yet there don't seem to be a standout player.

I am not looking to start some banter stuff, just a genuine discussion about it as I watch a lot of Liverpool game (they do play some of the best football in the league, at least last season)

WJD

Are there like... Any decent radio stations on a Friday night? Radio 1 devolves into an even bigger pile of shit and that's about as far as my radio knowledge goes.

Got a 2 hour drive without any CD's or mobile jack and don't like wearing headphones when I'm driving.

jts

...hate me...
Finally settled. Kind of.

The fucking cat ruined the Gamepad cord already. Must be a Nintendo hater.

Regret not having bought TLOU remastered and TR definitive before coming. Prices here are stupid.

This weather is something else, too.

I have been meaning to discuss this for a while, and this is addressed primarily to the liverpool fans here; what do you guys think of Rodgers with regards to his spending. I mean since he came onboard its been a case of buying several players and then selling or loaning them after a season or less. I am all for turnover when things are not working out (this is one of the problems we have had in Manutd), but your best player last season was a player before his time. Infact, your important players came in before his time. Sturridge is the only standout, I feel, in his buys and he was got for cheap.

This also brings me to my next point; How do you feel about the signings you have made. To be more clear, given the amount of money the club spent on transfers this summer, don't you think you could have gotten more out of it. I know its still to early make any definitive statement one way or the other, with regards to success and failure of your buys. I mean your spend is the second highest yet there don't seem to be a standout player.

I am not looking to start some banter stuff, just a genuine discussion about it as I watch a lot of Liverpool game (they do play some of the best football in the league, at least last season)

His transfer record is pretty poor tbh. Sturridge is by far his best buy, most of the others have been underwhelming. There's time for a few of them to turn things around, but so far

Mignolet: poor
Sakho: poor
Lovren: poor
Toure: hmm
Cissokho: poor loan
Moreno: good
Manquillo: decent
Can: too early to tell
Allen: decent
Coutinho: decent overall
Markovic: poor
Lallana: decent, improving every game
Moses: dogshit
Aspas: fucking dreadful
Borini: rubbish
Balotelli: poor
Sturridge: fantastic

He coached Henderson, Flanagan, and maybe even Suarez to levels I didn't think they were capable of, so I hope he can do the same for some of those. Then again, some of them are clearly decent players who played like shit for us. I mean, Moses right now may not be good enough for us, but he's much better than he was when he did play for us.

Coutinho would be up there with Sturridge if his good form wasn't so sporadic. Not sure how much influence the transfer commitee had or still have, but something is going wrong somewhere in the process.

Of the signings made this summer, I think Balotelli will end up doing decently for us, as will Lallana and Manquillo (though he's only on loan.) Moreno will be very good for us I think, and I'll have to see more of Can to make a judgement, though in theory he should do well given the face that he seems suited to the league, and he can't look much worse than Gerrard has at the basic job of protecting the defense (babysit might be a better term actually)

Got massive question marks against Lovren and Markovic. I thought Lovren would be average at worst, but he's been poor, liable to completely fuck something up at any given moment. Markovic has shown nothing to put it simply, doesn't seem bothered at all when he plays, when he makes an error, or when he gets subbed. I'm sure he's good at something for us to have valued him so highly, but he's not come close to showing it really. He's very young, so hopefully it's just a case of slowly getting him adapted and giving him a base from which to flourish.

Aspas is so shit, it needs to be mentioned twice. Makes it clear how Ronaldo and Messi score so often in La Liga :p

0fwTUM5.jpg

Regret not having bought TLOU remastered and TR definitive before coming. Prices here are stupid.

I forgot, is it a permanent thing? You should come to one of the superior Scandinavian countries instead, the 3 real ones. ;)

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Are there like... Any decent radio stations on a Friday night? Radio 1 devolves into an even bigger pile of shit and that's about as far as my radio knowledge goes.

Got a 2 hour drive without any CD's or mobile jack and don't like wearing headphones when I'm driving.
don't do that either way, you need to be aware of your surroundings while driving yo. And like, when someone honks at you or something

90% of radio stations are dance music now ;_; ffs, sure, I like that in clubs, but NOT EVERYWHERE

jts

...hate me...
I forgot, is it a permanent thing? You should come to one of the superior Scandinavian countries instead, the 3 real ones. ;)
Not permanent, but I come without a returning date. I can't see myself living here forever, but it will be nice to have this experience to shake things up. We'll see how it goes from here.

Anyway, I would have tried a superior country but this is the one my girlfriend is from >:| Gotta get a new one innit. Well I guess it could be worse :p

scently

His transfer record is pretty poor tbh. Sturridge is by far his best buy, most of the others have been underwhelming. There's time for a few of them to turn things around, but so far

Mignolet: poor
Sakho: poor
Lovren: poor
Toure: hmm
Cissokho: poor loan
Moreno: good
Manquillo: decent
Can: too early to tell
Allen: decent
Coutinho: decent overall
Markovic: poor
Lallana: decent, improving every game
Moses: dogshit
Aspas: fucking dreadful
Borini: rubbish
Balotelli: poor
Sturridge: fantastic

He coached Henderson, Flanagan, and maybe even Suarez to levels I didn't think they were capable of, so I hope he can do the same for some of those. Then again, some of them are clearly decent players who played like shit for us. I mean, Moses right now may not be good enough for us, but he's much better than he was when he did play for us.

Coutinho would be up there with Sturridge if his good form wasn't so sporadic. Not sure how much influence the transfer commitee had or still have, but something is going wrong somewhere in the process.

Of the signings made this summer, I think Balotelli will end up doing decently for us, as will Lallana and Manquillo (though he's only on loan.) Moreno will be very good for us I think, and I'll have to see more of Can to make a judgement, though in theory he should do well given the face that he seems suited to the league, and he can't look much worse than Gerrard has at the basic job of protecting the defense (babysit might be a better term actually)

Got massive question marks against Lovren and Markovic. I thought Lovren would be average at worst, but he's been poor, liable to completely fuck something up at any given moment. Markovic has shown nothing to put it simply, doesn't seem bothered at all when he plays, when he makes an error, or when he gets subbed. I'm sure he's good at something for us to have valued him so highly, but he's not come close to showing it really. He's very young, so hopefully it's just a case of slowly getting him adapted and giving him a base from which to flourish.

Aspas is so shit, it needs to be mentioned twice. Makes it clear how Ronaldo and Messi score so often in La Liga :p

Thanks for that. I appreciate the time you took to answer, but, in your opinion, given that you spent around 120m don't you think it could have gotten something better than what you did get, especially given that Suarez left. I mean you could have gone for ADM (I am over the moon that he is here in Old Trafford, just for argument sake), Cavani, Falcao etc type of player? ADM cost us around 60m. Remove that from what you spent and you would still have another 60m to spend.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Keane hauled off at HT for England U21s, Eric Dier on.

Please don't get injured.

L1NETT

This week's essential mix on Radio 1 is Carl motherucking Cox and if you don't like him we can't be friends m8

6music can be really good though.

Hixx

Driveclub's AI is rancid and unfair. They will punt and shunt you off the track if you are on their line. And the worst thing is if you get rear-ended, the game will punish you. There was one time I got a right kick up the arse and I couldn't accelerate for like 2-3 seconds because I had a "collision penalty" or something ffs.

It's pretty, though.

jts

...hate me...
Oh yeah, and Smash Bro is boring on the 3DS. Glad I didn't pull the trigger on it.

Comfy controller, big screen, single copy local multi. That's what Smash is about innit.

Nothing will ever please a black hearted scoundrel like Wooden.

The last guardian would.
leeleeleebizlk.png

I even say that Wii U is still the console most worth having, but that gif shows fucking nothing, and that people actually buy that Hyrule Warriors is proof that Nintendo fans will buy anything nintendo poops out and think it's amazing.

Nicktendo86

Oh yeah, and Smash Bro is boring on the 3DS. Glad I didn't pull the trigger on it.

Comfy controller, big screen, single copy local multi. That's what Smash is about innit.
The controls are what kills it for me.

BTW, fucking love the bayoneta 2 demo. That's going to the top of my Christmas list!

Thanks for that. I appreciate the time you took to answer, but, in your opinion, given that you spent around 120m don't you think it could have gotten something better than what you did get, especially given that Suarez left. I mean you could have gone for ADM (I am over the moon that he is here in Old Trafford, just for argument sake), Cavani, Falcao etc type of player? ADM cost us around 60m. Remove that from what you spent and you would still have another 60m to spend.

The phrase of the summer for us was 'improve the squad.'

With 4 competitions, we needed to bring in at least 5 players, all capable of coming into the first team when necessary without a massive drop in quality which was clearly on display when the likes of Cissokho and Moses played. While we overpaid for Lallana, Lovren and probably Markovic (would need someone who watches Benfica to weigh in) like Spurs last summer it became a bit of a numbers game, getting in as many good players as possible once the Sanchez ship had sailed

Funnily enough after I made that post I thought about whether we should have gone for Di Maria, but I don't think it would have made much sense even if he is world class. His wages are humungous, the type that we should only offer for players who have earned them in a Liverpool shirt. His fee would have led to us missing out on Lallana, Markovic, and probably Moreno, all 3 of whom were necessary purchases, and we'd have had to go for cut-price options.

And that's assuming he'd have even moved to us. Even after last season, Man Utd were a safer bet to be in the CL in say 2016/17 than us, since we'd lost Suarez and Man Utd have the finances to brute force their way back into it.

Sanchez was the one. Brilliant player, available at the start of the window (while Di Maria was always likely to move after James was bought, the move only started gaining momentum after we'd already made our buys), for a price where it wouldn't have had a massive impact on the buys we could make elsewhere.

Falcao also has the same wage issue (not that Balotelli is cheap) and I think everyone just assumed he was off to Madrid tbh, by the time it became clear that he wasn't, our money was already spent.

Also worth keeping in mind that we're scraping by FFP by the skin of our teeth the wages for 1 Di Maria or 1 Falcao were theoretically better spent on 3 players to improve the squad. Whether that turns out to be a good move remains to be seen, early signs aren't promising though. But the logic was sound. And again, that's all assuming they'd have joined us if we went for them.

Lightning

Banned
3Sixty follows every former Southampton player wishing them every curse imaginable even when they treated his club with respect and left only because Southampton accepted a bid without acting up or forcing issues.

I don't get it.

Elchele

Where are you now?

Do you know you can buy the games from the PSN store at lower prices, right?

Scum

The last guardian would.
leeleeleebizlk.png

I even say that Wii U is still the console most worth having, but that gif shows fucking nothing, and that people actually buy that Hyrule Warriors is proof that Nintendo fans will buy anything nintendo poops out and think it's amazing.

The Last Guardian? Wooden, pls. There's a Sony even in Dec. apparently. You can join gaming side at the teaser with no release date that gets shown then.

The two week wait for Bayonetta 2 is killing me. 😢

jts

...hate me...
The controls are what kills it for me.

BTW, fucking love the bayoneta 3 demo. That's going to the top of my Christmas list!
Megaton there m8. Just kidding. Still have to try it myself. I would have done it already if not for the 15 times limit.

Where are you now?

Do you know you can buy the games from the PSN store at lower prices, right?
I'm in Finland.

I'm kinda OCD not to have the purchases tied to my main PSN account if you're talking about the US PSN store :/

Still, I could get TLOU for € 30-35 and TR for 25-30 back home, prices for physical versions. Hard to beat that, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom