• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT7| daily blind is a renegade of funk

Status
Not open for further replies.

FootballFan

Same happened to Jupp after Chelsea. You can only achieve great victory if you suffer from colossal defeats and get up. Pep is by far the best coach in recent years and even in 30 years the decade from 2008 and on will be connected to him. Sorry Mou.

I'll be honest. I'm jealous. Pep <3

Mou is great though. Just a cunt.

Jack cw

Feels good to be us. Dat 38 Hungary.

It's actually pretty smart because that formation is the answer to the classic 4-3-3 and its offsets. He just tweaked it to modern fast paced football and integrated Götze as false 9, which works great. Alonso as "Libero" was a genius move because he has the skill to play this position and his precise long balls outlevel the first defensive line of the opposition. If you look deeper into Bayerns tactics and how variable they move from 3-2-3-2 to 4-1-4-1 with Robben constantly tearing up the oppsitions 4 defenders to widen the distances in their defensive line, so that Götze, Lewandowski and Müller start their attacks through the middle with the more open space, you really see how complex and hard it becoms to counter this. And if you counter, Bayern simply switches formation and positioning, so that 4+Alonso close the free space for fast wingers. In the end, the defeat against Real, has the same effect as the final dahoam. Whoever wants to win the CL, you have to beat this revived and killer Bayern this year.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Haha Balo swapped shirts at half time? Lol

I guess he knew his game was over.

Balotelli's 45 minutes against Real

• Mario Balotelli had two shots in the first half, but both were blocked
  • He completed the joint lowest amount of passes with 17 - the same as Lazar Markovic who was on the pitch for 23 minutes
  • Balotelli had 23 touches - only Markovic had fewer

Blablurn

The good and bad sides of Balotelli in 1 vine: https://t.co/aD3gfk4DpY

It's actually pretty smart because that formation is the answer to the classic 4-3-3 and its offsets. He just tweaked it to modern fast paced football and integrated Götze as false 9, which works great. Alonso as "Libero" was a genius move because he has the skill to play this position and his precise long balls outlevel the first defensive line of the opposition. If you look deeper into Bayerns tactics and how variable they move from 3-2-3-2 to 4-1-4-1 with Robben constantly tearing up the oppsitions 4 defenders to widen the distances in their defensive line, so that Götze, Lewandowski and Müller start their attacks through the middle with the more open space, you really see how complex and hard it becoms to counter this. And if you counter, Bayern simply switches formation and positioning, so that 4+Alonso close the free space for fast wingers. In the end, the defeat against Real, has the same effect as the final dahoam. Whoever wants to win the CL, you have to beat this revived and killer Bayern.

<3 Lovely <3

But true. I see the fire again. And with Thiago, Martinez and Schweini being ready for the second half of the season we can definitely leave a mark in Europe.

RAWK said:
Begins. Falls. Rises. A Christopher Nolan/Brendan Rodgers Trilogy.

Familiarity can sometimes be a trick of the mind. Know something for long enough and it's capacity to surprise seems to disappear while never vanishing completely. The capacity to change for the better is always there and while the challenge to simply maintain becomes ever greater, let the rest of them be duped into underestimating again.

In emerging from nowhere they became larger than life. Expectations were exceeded in a way that went above what most would have ever dreamt of. No longer was the idea of a nineteenth title consigned to the shadows. Challenging for the title wasn't new for this team but it was new for this team. This is all part of a story that's been told over and over. An old story for a new generation.

So how do you reignite the fire for a conflict that everyone seems to known inside and out? For most it won't take much. Off the field there has already been a lot of work in trying to breathe new life into that which we think we already know while maintaining that which worked so well. With the right attention to detail, a vision can be made reality. Only then can you take the kind of heritage that comes with LFC and make it your own.

Some interpretations don't work at all. When you have an entity that is so ingrained into popular culture that it becomes very clearly defined – by those who like it and those who don't – then there are parameters to work within. Even in those circumstances it's possible to be unique while maintaining that which people know. In certain hands however, these marks can be missed so much so that the end result then becomes like a parody of that which it once stood for. Roy Hodgson did for Liverpool what Batman and Robin did for cinema. In this instance, Brendan Rodgers has a little more of the Christopher Nolan about him.

Legacies are defined by what's left behind, long after the aspects that established it are gone. If everything crumbles to dust the moment that it's architect is gone, then the foundations weren't quite strong enough in the first place. The truly great can stand the test of time. At Anfield, those foundations have been rocked to the core over the last decade. At last there appears to be something with which we can build greatness upon.

Tomorrow will see the start of a new chapter. The third part of Brendan Rodgers' tenure at the helm. Year one gave us an introduction to this new incarnation, then came the much lauded sequel. Does the closing chapter of this trilogy end with Steven Gerrard lifting the Premier League trophy? We'll are thirty eight games and another emotional roller-coaster ride away from finding out.

Early previews suggest that hope is lost. More will have to be found. The stakes are higher now. There's a storm coming. Isn't that always the way? A resurgent Manchester United and a buoyant Arsenal; coupled with Chelsea and Manchester City whom Liverpool fought so hard last year and suddenly the rogues gallery appears very full.

Also, this time the battle will be as much internal as it is external. History doesn't get rewritten all that often. Every miskick and every dropped point will summon forth his name. Speak of the devil and he shall appear. He was once was the bane of Premier League defenders up and down the country; this time he will be Liverpool's reckoning.

For those on the outside looking in, Luis Suarez's departure will cast a great shadow over the club. He was born in the darkness after all, we merely adopted him. With that also comes the idea that last year was a fluke. Steven Gerrard and Brendan Rodgers won't be wallowing in a pit of despair, looking on as all their hard work is destroyed. There are bigger challenges that inevitably await, that must be met head on.

“Why do we fall?” asks Michael Caine's Alfred, in a voice just the right side of parody. “So that we can learn to pick ourselves up” comes the self supplied answer. It's a theme that echoes not just on the screen but as we strive to come up against whatever problems there are in our daily lives. A nice sentiment definitely - but also massively incorrect.

Ultimately there has to be a reason behind that fall in the first place. Simply continuing to stand isn't enough. Avoiding mistakes is as advantageous as learning from them. As far as Liverpool are concerned, such sentiments serve a dual purpose. Standing up in the face of adversity is more than honorable enough but this time around it's more about not letting anyone push them to the ground in the first place.

Whatever story there is left to tell and whatever ending we have yet to arrive at, everything looks much different now than when it started. In football it's often said that it's the hope that kills you. On the screen it was said that “there can be no true despair without hope”. That might be the way it felt in the immediate aftermath of the Chelsea and Crystal Palace games, but certainly not what those on Matthew Street would have said at 2am after the Newcastle game.

Faith can be poisonous when it is blind and unwarranted. But placed in the right hands and it will be rewarded. This team has just given us a season that even without a defining piece of silverware is unlikely to fade into the memory. Continuing in the same manor and trophies will not be far behind. There were not only incredible victories but the sheer scale and method of them, the likes of which we'll be looking forward to seeing again this year.

Maybe we've seen it all. Maybe we just think we have. Maybe the best is yet to come. Maybe they've given us everything. Well, not everything. Not yet.

help me

3Sixty

James Maw &#8207;@JamesMawFFT 12m12 minutes ago

Tempting to suggest Dejan Lovren swapping his Southampton shirt for a Liverpool one has been a bigger issue thus far.

:lol

Blablurn

Dear Mr Blablurn

After checking your applications and your test work we have come to the conclusions that we cannot offer you a position that matches your qualifications.

What does that even mean? Was I too bad? Or is my degree too much? If yes , I don't even care.

It was for the Beijing job I applied for :(

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
What does that even mean? Was I too bad? Or is my degree too much? If yes , I don't even care.

It was for the Beijing job I applied for :(

looks like a canned response. email them and ask if you want some actual feedback. (warning: this might be soul crushing)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
James Maw &#8207;@JamesMawFFT 12m12 minutes ago

Tempting to suggest Dejan Lovren swapping his Southampton shirt for a Liverpool one has been a bigger issue thus far.

Crazy to think that Rodgers has spent £60m+ on defenders and still they do the basics completely wrong. He can't coach that side of the game at all.

Horse can you link to thread

What's better than the melodramatic posts themselves are the replies

"In bits mate. Well said. Gonna read that to my lad before bedtime"

Jack cw

What about the decade from 2004 m8.

Mourinho has won 2 Champions League with mickey mouse league teams m8. That's amazing. Based Mou <3

If you mean Bayern's coach will be more cherished by Bayern's fans than Mourinho in 30 years then you're right.
You don't get what I'm saying. I'm not disrespcting Mous acheivements, on the contrary. But what he did was not as sustainable for football in general, as what Pep did. Mourinho has a strong midfield with 2 holding players and one small, and highly skilled CAM who plays the deadly passes to the striker while a bunch of hard defenders keep the opposition away from scoring. Porto had a great squad back then, this system was migrated to his first period at Chelsea and omptimized with Inter.

Real Madrid was an exeception, because Perez and the fans wouldn't have accepted a playstyle of the "weak" (Counter attacking and bus parking is the way to go against strong possession oppositions, which Real in their understanding is). That's why he tried out a bastard between his classic 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 and failed because the defensive midfield was sacrificed for another fast winger. Still, 2 CL wins with two different clubs is a huge achievement.

Anyway, what Pep did, was something else. No new invention, but a few tweaks to already established and long forgotten tactics. He took Cruyffs idea of the Voetbal total (the offensive 4-3-3) and integrated a lot of ideas from Bielsa into this to fit players like Messi and his midfield. The false 9 was born out of Real Madrids sacrificed DM, who left open space between midfield and defence, the strong holding midfield to build up play through the wings as deception, only to break through the middle by breaking the oppositions last line of defenders and the very high attacking full backs that work as additional central midfielders. From 2008 to 2011, the world dind't have an answer to that. Spain won the European Cup twice and the WC with this legacy system. Germany won the WC because Löw took several parts of Peps tactics into his play. The influence of Peps system into football and which teams won the huge titles with it, is huge. That's what I wanted to say. Nothing to do with Bayern or anything. Simple tactical work.

50443d26afa96f1e19000038.gif

Elchele

You don't get what I'm saying. I'm not disrespcting Mous acheivements, on the contrary. But what he did was not as sustainable for football in general, as what Pep did. Mourinho has a strong midfield with 2 holding players and one small, and highly skilled CAM who plays the deadly passes to the striker while a bunch of hard defenders keep the opposition away from scoring. Porto had a great squad back then, this system was migrated to his first period at Chelsea and omptimized with Inter.

Real Madrid was an exeception, because Perez and the fans wouldn't have accepted a playstyle of the "weak" (Counter attacking and bus parking is the way to go against strong possession oppositions, which Real in their understandind is). That's why he tried out a bastard between his classic 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 and failed because the defensive midfield was sacrificed for another fast winger. Still, 2 CL wins with two different clubs is a huge achievement.

Anyway, what Pep did, was something else. No new invention, but a few tweaks to already established and long forgotten tactics. He took Cruyffs idea of the Voetbal total (the offensive 4-3-3) and integrated a lot of ideas from Bielsa into this to fit players like Messi and his midfield. The false 9 was born out of Real Madrids sacrificed DM, who left open space between midfield and defence, the strong holding midfield to build up play through the wings as deception, only to break through the middle by break the oppositions last line of defenders and the very high attacking full backs that work as additional central midfielders. From 2008 to 2011, the world dind't have an answer to that. Spain won the European Cup twice and the WC with this legacy system. Germany won the WC because Löw took several parts of Peps tactics into his play. The influence of Peps system into football and which teams won the huge titles with it, is huge. That's what I wanted to say. Nothing to do with Bayern or anything. Simple tactical work.

Doc-Rivers.gif

Labadal

Jamie Redknapp on Balotelli: "There's a reason when you go to the supermarket and things are half price. Why on earth they went for him, I'll never know.

LOLIPOP

Salazar

Saw it on RAWK Meltdown fb page. No idea where the thread is I'm afraid.

So many gems

Got bored and have wrote a couple of these but decided to post it. If its shite Ill never start another thread again, but if if people seem to like it Ill try do it more often. Anyway enjoy (hopefully)

General Rodgers looked down at the massacre that lay behind him. He drank in the fresh smell of blood that was still lingering in the air and cast his eyes upon the bloodied ruins of a once proud city laid at his feet.

Gone for that war criminal vibe, like

stylish piece of writing - like the dark Batman 'hook' - sits well with me that we have the grit to prevail

Lovely read.

As a fan of The Dark Knight trilogy I truly enjoyed that.

Thanks for sharing.

Great stuff, enjoyed the comparison.

Billionaire playboy Brendan Rodgers leads a double life.

By day he manages the most storied football team in the English league. By night, he dons an armour developed in the secret laboratory he shares with Warrior's design team underneath the Liver Building.

Armed with nothing but Tennants Super, he goes out to Waterloo to fight The Scally and his minions down on the desolate, dogshit-filled Coastal Park.

Someone make this film.

If you're going Nolan's Batman route, then Rodgers is more Harvey Dent before he turns. Shining hope, little sense of the loner, sinister or darkness about him.

i

c
a
n
t

FootballFan

Real Madrid was an exeception, because Perez and the fans wouldn't have accepted a playstyle of the "weak" (Counter attacking and bus parking is the way to go against strong possession oppositions, which Real in their understandind is). That's why he tried out a bastard between his classic 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 and failed because the defensive midfield was sacrificed for another fast winger. Still, 2 CL wins with two different clubs is a huge achievement.

Anyway, what Pep did, was something else. No new invention, but a few tweaks to already established and long forgotten tactics. He took Cruyffs idea of the Voetbal total (the offensive 4-3-3) and integrated a lot of ideas from Bielsa into this to fit players like Messi and his midfield. The false 9 was born out of Real Madrids sacrificed DM, who left open space between midfield and defence, the strong holding midfield to build up play through the wings as deception, only to break through the middle by breaking the oppositions last line of defenders and the very high attacking full backs that work as additional central midfielders. From 2008 to 2011, the world dind't have an answer to that. Spain won the European Cup twice and the WC with this legacy system. Germany won the WC because Löw took several parts of Peps tactics into his play. The influence of Peps system into football and which teams won the huge titles with it, is huge. That's what I wanted to say. Nothing to do with Bayern or anything. Simple tactical work.

Genuinely one of the best posts in gaf history. Completely agree.

L1NETT

Balotelli was certainly a risk but aside from Loic and his injury issues (or whatever that episode was about) the supermarket shelves were pretty empty, so Redknapp's hilarious hindsight "bantz" is a tad redundant. Bet he didn't say that at the time did he now

Easy to say now ahh well should have gone for Berahino or whoever but Pool needed a world class striker and a big name...and Berahino only scored like 5 goals in 30 odd appearances last season, bugger all considering the amount of chat about him.

i

c
a
n
t

where is the fan fiction

there has to be some fan ficiton

brendanrodgerstouchinghisplayers.tumblr

Salazar

They are probably worried you wouldn't stick around for long. Sorry man, job market is a bitch.

I remember that interview question

"How long do you see yourself staying with us ?"

I should have sighed and said "Madam, you run a bookstore. How long do you think you're gonna last ?"

KidJr

Real Madrid was an exeception, because Perez and the fans wouldn't have accepted a playstyle of the "weak" (Counter attacking and bus parking is the way to go against strong possession oppositions, which Real in their understanding is). That's why he tried out a bastard between his classic 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 and failed because the defensive midfield was sacrificed for another fast winger. Still, 2 CL wins with two different clubs is a huge achievement.

Nice post

FootballFan

Just keep at it Bla. My mate Melanie never gave up until she found the job she was happy with. This was 4 years ago and she is still there doing what she likes.

jts

...hate me...

I'm glad that you took your time m8, but I was just looking for proper bantz.

What is this place coming to, a nexus of football fans where facts and evidence, presented within the confines of civil, inclusive discourse, prevail through careful moderation?

Blablurn

qMM5LAF.gif

Just keep at it Bla. My mate Melanie never gave up until she found the job she was happy with. This was 4 years ago and she is still there doing what she likes.

Thanks mate! No giving up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom