• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT7| daily blind is a renegade of funk

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mystery over Diego Costa's condition has deepened after it emerged that the Chelsea striker was forced to spend time in hospital after returning from international duty with Spain.

Costa is struggling with a groin injury, but has also been battling an illness that forced him to go to hospital. Chelsea have not specified the illness and whether Costa is fully over it, but it is understood that the 26-year-old had symptoms similar to a severe stomach bug. That he has two problems goes some way to explaining the level of anger felt by Jose Mourinho, the Chelsea manager, over the condition in which his leading goal-scorer returned to the club last week.

Telegraph

this Costa shit is getting weirder by the day.

MPW

Dat Reus

siqtyhnd68pifb95oumq.gif

to real madrid in the summer! :D

probably end up at psg or man city

I wonder how Liverpool fans feel now with Balotelli and Welbeck. They were gloating and laughing in our faces when the deals were done.

I was against Balotellii from before the world cup when we were linked with him and everything I've seen from him still has me negative on him. He's a bad apple for me, not a team man, and no matter his talent can just fuck off.
Most were confident that Rodgers could change him.
Like how they 'changed' Suarez.
Remember how Rodgers went "I just treat him like an adult"? That's not the fucking problem, really.

Never understood the hype for Balotelli.

Forget the maturity/consistency for a minute here. Just going by talent alone, he's nowhere near the likes of Falcao/Ibra/Suarez. Not even on the level of Lewandowski/Aguero/Cavani.

EDIT: He's the homeless man's Karim Benzema

tri_willy

guess we just wanted someone as controversial as suarez... pity that didnt include that talent, effort, creativity and goal scoring ability

Zabojnik

I don't know what people were expecting with Balotelli. His MO has been the same for 5+ years.

Still, the main problem is not Balotelli, who's just being Balotelli, but the fact that Liverpool have to rely on him.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Liverpool should have gone after Altidore is the vibe I'm getting from Football-GAF tonight.

I get the feeling Altidore would try and actually make his best effort to be a team player and score goals, so he would've been better than Balo, I think. Way cheaper, too.

valeo

Never understood the hype for Balotelli.

Forget the maturity/consistency for a minute here. Just going by talent alone, he's nowhere near the likes of Falcao/Ibra/Suarez. Not even on the level of Lewandowski/Aguero/Cavani.

EDIT: He's the homeless man's Karim Benzema

He's been hyped up because of his antics.

Zabojnik

There's also always been this misunderstanding about Balo that he is both physically and technically gifted. He's a beast, sure, as for the other thing ... yeah, not so much.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'm a broken man.

Matches like tonight's are the absolute worst. First half, your team is playing like all they care about is going home with a safe draw, even though they were all "we're gonna show everybody what we're capable of" before the game. On top of that your manager completely fucks up the starting XI by including what is in his current state a retired football player (Pirlo), who inevitably makes a retarded mistake, one of many, which leads to a stupidly conceeded goal.

Second half. The players have finally decided to show that there is a pretty significant technical gap between the two teams and stars playing LIKE THEY SHOULD'VE FROM THE FIRST MINUTE. But because this is Juve and we're playing in Europe, the other team's keeper is having the game of a lifetime. Four, five incredible saves, the opponent is on his knees, but the fucking goal won't come. It just fucking won't.

Fuck football, fuck life.

At one point, I think I was laughing my ass off at us :lol there was just no fucking way he was going to concede a single goal really :lol

and when you play like Roberto then you deserve to take all three points

At least Roma are second in their group.

this whole Bayern-Roma newfound love is fucking hysterical. On behalf of Roma and all of the teams you've humiliated over the years, spare us. You fucking RAPED them at their own home, you don't really have to feel bad about it. I mean, SURE, you can I suppose, but it's still a felony, and they'll hate you forever for it.

this whole Bayern-Roma newfound love is fucking hysterical. On behalf of Roma and all of the teams you've humiliated over the years, spare us. You fucking RAPED them at their own home, you don't really have to feel bad about it. I mean, SURE, you can I suppose, but it's still a felony, and they'll hate you forever for it.

We did it for Lazio.

sohois

Everyone predicted the Balotelli difficulties.

Prior to the transfer, so many people lined up to say the same thing: "He's too disruptive and crazy." "He'll get into fights on the ground and in matches" "he'll destroy the atmosphere in the dressing room, he'll get himself sent off time and again".

And then that's exactly what happened.

The only positives people were able to point out were that at least Balotelli was guaranteed to grab a few goals, to provide a spark in some matches. Everyone knew what about his ability and what he could contribute.

Now that all of those predictions have been proved correct, it's natural to see people come forward crowing about their wisdom and insight.

Lightning

Banned
Still a game to go. It will be just like Bayern to drop points in their home game.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Prior to the transfer, so many people lined up to say the same thing: "He's too disruptive and crazy." "He'll get into fights on the ground and in matches" "he'll destroy the atmosphere in the dressing room, he'll get himself sent off time and again".

these are all premface clichés, the truth is, he's simply "not good enough".

wait till he pulls the race card again

There's also always been this misunderstanding about Balo that he is both physically and technically gifted. He's a beast, sure, as for the other thing ... yeah, not so much.

Eh, I think he'll be decent enough once the situation in Liverpool calms down, and Sturridge comes back.

But let's say Liverpool gets Sturridge and Balotelli playing well. Great, but they'll still be allowing goals like crazy. The aging and decline of Steven Gerrard is a huge problem for the club imo. Maybe bigger than having to sell Suarez.

Everyone predicted the Balotelli difficulties.

And then that's exactly what happened.

The only positives people were able to point out were that at least Balotelli was guaranteed to grab a few goals, to provide a spark in some matches. Everyone knew what about his ability and what he could contribute.

Now that all of those predictions have been proved correct, it's natural to see people come forward crowing about their wisdom and insight.

The prediction about him grabbing a few goals certainly hasn't been proved correct. Hopefully he can kick on a bit when he plays up front with Sturridge, but we were fucking stupid to sign a player who seemingly can't play on his own up front. Much of the reason we spent such an amount on a backup striker was because we know how injury prone Sturridge is, and we spend that money on someone incapable of replacing him sufficiently.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I think he'll be decent enough once

Mancini: "he'll be decent enough once he [insert something]"
Mourinho: "he'll be decent enough once he [insert something]"
Mancini 2.0: "he'll be decent enough once he [insert something]"
Prandelli: "he'll be decent enough once he [insert something]"
Allegri: *no mic given to Allegri*
Seedorf: "he'll be decent enough once he [insert something]"
Rodgers: "he'll be decent enough once he [insert something]"

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
why can't we be Atletico Madrid

or Olympiacos

Juve were caught out on the counter this evening when Andrea Pirlo was dispossessed and Pogba revealed this is a tactical issue.

Pogba “Allegri tells me to run off the ball, but the problem is that I should be closer to Andrea, as otherwise I leave him on his own.”

Sack him NOW

sohois

The prediction about him grabbing a few goals certainly hasn't been proved correct. Hopefully he can kick on a bit when he plays up front with Sturridge, but we were fucking stupid to sign a player who seemingly can't play on his own up front. Much of the reason we spent such an amount on a backup striker was because we know how injury prone Sturridge is, and we spend that money on someone incapable of replacing him sufficiently.

You appeared to miss the point there Hitch. It was a joke, in effect.

Let me make it clear - people trotted the same lines over and over about Balotelli, mostly related to his influence. And yet there haven't been any on or off the pitch incidents of note. No bust ups, no red cards, no crazy antics, no dressing room disasters. Maybe something happened in secret, but as far as we know Balotelli hasn't caused any problems with his teammates or the club.

However, few people came forward and said that Balotelli just wouldn't be good enough, that he was plain old poor. This is why Balotelli hasn't worked so far.

So to see people now making statements like "Why couldn't Liverpool see this coming, everyone knew!" or "Rodgers/Liverpool/Committee should be fired for the obvious mistake" is frankly ridiculous, seeing as hardly anyone saw this outcome. Most people were too hung up on personality.

Let me make it clear - people trotted the same lines over and over about Balotelli, mostly related to his influence. And yet there haven't been any on or off the pitch incidents of note. No bust ups, no red cards, no crazy antics, no dressing room disasters. Maybe something happened in secret, but as far as we know Balotelli hasn't caused any problems with his teammates or the club.

However, few people came forward and said that Balotelli just wouldn't be good enough, that he was plain old poor. This is why Balotelli hasn't worked so far.

So to see people now making statements like "Why couldn't Liverpool see this coming, everyone knew!" or "Rodgers/Liverpool/Committee should be fired for the obvious mistake" is frankly ridiculous, seeing as hardly anyone saw this outcome. Most people were too hung up on personality.

Fair enough, though his on-pitch personality is starting to rile people, understandably imo

I wish I'd been wrong about his quality at least, but he really just isn't that good. I thought he'd be better than he's been, and I'm sure he'll improve, but I'm not sure he'll improve to the extent we require of him.

His ability is Giroud-level, but combined with his mentality and game intelligence, he's Altidore level.

oh come the fuck on.

The problem, that we said might come, will usually only start halfway through the season.

Besides some of us made a point how stupidly selfish he can be during a match, which has been proven for quite some time. Some of his attempts were appalling.

Yeah, I still like him. He seems like an alright guy outside football but his attitude on and off the pitch regarding the game is off-putting.

Linius

Dortmund is so weird. How the hell do you manage to have more points in the CL than in the league at this stage of the season?

pls

sohois

oh come the fuck on.

The problem, that we said might come, will usually only start halfway through the season.

Besides some of us made a point how stupidly selfish he can be during a match, which has been proven for quite some time. Some of his attempts were appalling.

Yeah, I still like him. He seems like an alright guy outside football but his attitude on and off the pitch regarding the game is off-putting.

Eh, I'm not accusing people directly. For I all know in your original assessment of the situation you might not have said anything about dressing room trouble, or you might have mentioned multiple on pitch performance issues.

My point is more general, that the main voice during the signing was arguments against Balotelli for his personality. Now that he is flopping, there are a host of voices claiming how obvious it was and that people all saw it coming - which isn't true or all of the arguments would have been that Balotelli wouldn't fit, wouldn't score, wouldn't have good movement. Even those who argued that Balotelli would do poorly because he doesn't track back or do defensive work have been wrong, he's done fine in that area.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Most expensive season tickets in Europe (in £):

10- QPR 499 (cheapest ST)
9- Hull City 501 (cheapest ST)
8- Newcastle United 525 (cheapest ST)
7- Manchester United 535 (cheapest ST)
6- Southampton 541 (cheapest ST)
5- West Ham United 670 (cheapest ST)
4- Liverpool 710 (cheapest ST)
3- Chelsea 750 (cheapest ST)
2- Tottenham 765 (cheapest ST)
1- Arsenal 1040 (cheapest ST)

10 PL clubs :lol l1n1tt was right

fair play to United really

Linius

Most expensive season tickets in Europe (in £):

10- QPR 499 (cheapest ST)
9- Hull City 501 (cheapest ST)
8- Newcastle United 525 (cheapest ST)
7- Manchester United 535 (cheapest ST)
6- Southampton 541 (cheapest ST)
5- West Ham United 670 (cheapest ST)
4- Liverpool 710 (cheapest ST)
3- Chelsea 750 (cheapest ST)
2- Tottenham 765 (cheapest ST)
1- Arsenal 1040 (cheapest ST)

10 PL clubs :lol l1n1tt was right

fair play to United really

Lol, those prices are unreal. I think the cheapest at Ajax is around 150 euros.

GorillaJu

Most people in here were saying either "he'll be good for the first few months" or "he's a risk worth taking at that price" etc.

Only Serie A Gaf actually said he'd just be shit.

FootballFan

Mancini: "he'll be decent enough once he [insert something]"
Mourinho: "he'll be decent enough once he [insert something]"
Mancini 2.0: "he'll be decent enough once he [insert something]"
Prandelli: "he'll be decent enough once he [insert something]"
Allegri: *no mic given to Allegri*
Seedorf: "he'll be decent enough once he [insert something]"
Rodgers: "he'll be decent enough once he [insert something]"

Well said. Exactly what I wanted to say. It's the same shit all the time. "once he matures hell be..." "he's still young..."

He's been exactly the same for 7 years now. He isnt changing. He had some potential but he's too busy saying shit analogies about postmen which make no sense at all.

There are people like my m8 Bruce who would kill to be in his position.

I wish Sturridge was fit. :( YNWA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom