• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT7| daily blind is a renegade of funk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Good luck man. When should you find out by?

Because it's a YouTube highlight video m8, he's shit when it comes to building up play

But he scores fucking goals, I'll give him that

are you saying Fergie is not a demigod?

reminds me of iNvid

Wilbur

Banned
are you saying Fergie is not a demigod?

reminds me of iNvid

He scores some obscene goals

He said within 5 working days, the longer it goes without a reply the worse it is right? I'm kinda expecting not to get it just seems too good to be true.

Eh, always allow the entire five days; they might just have lots of people to interview or things to sort out!

Oxx

Seems like half the thread is waiting to hear back regarding jobs.

They said they would make a decision last week :(

Portugeezer

Hopefully Thiago gets over his injuries. Genuinely one of the best CMs to watch.

For sure. There are some great ones, but the whole Scorpion thing was amazing.

Did you or anyone else have this poster?

iBQe2JPUdOLmB.jpg

I had it. So good, why is Figo the tallest though lol?

Tc91

He scores some obscene goals

Eh, always allow the entire five days; they might just have lots of people to interview or things to sort out!

Yeah I will but just nervous about how well I did etc, personally I thought it went well. The group bit 1 of the women was quite commanding and wanted to point out everything without giving others to talk really but everything else was fine.

Just hope that they give me a chance.

Zabojnik

incyws.gif

He'll make the switch to 4-3-3, they said. He'll give Pogba a more attacking role, they said. Too bad they were talking about Deschamps, not Allegri.

Wilbur

Banned
Which fucking mug runs Cineworld's twitter? Arnold was this you

@cineworld: So @themichaelowen we hear you #hatefilms :-( We LOVE films so will make it our mission to find one you love! #unlimitedcard in the post!

Found out today at work that my former manager died of cancer :(

she hadn't been in since July so I thought she quit or was ill. She looked fine from what I remember :(

Funeral is on Monday

Was in NYC this weekend - Williamsburg, DUMBO (such an amazing neighbourhood), Manhattan but in Brooklyn in general.

This city really is the center of the universe, holy fuck. It had been over a decade since my last visit and MY GOD this city really never sleeps. There is literally something to do in every corner you turn.

Why have Ogden and JJ written near identical articles on LvG?

Are United press releasing editorial content too now?

Edit: actually they're more different than I thought, nvm. Weird that they're both done like report cards. See that it's 3 months since 15th of July.

Wilbur

Banned
Why have Ogden and JJ written near identical articles on LvG?

Are United press releasing editorial content too now?

Edit: actually they're more different than I thought, nvm. Weird that they're both done like report cards. See that it's 3 months since 15th of July.

JJ calling Rooney Master made me giggle

Elchele

The funny thing is, its his 3rd tear back to back. It didn't ever tear completely only a part of it but still, the body doesnt regenerate ligaments. It's a pretty shitty situation.

what. what happens if you partially tear your knee ligaments and don't get surgery?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
JJ calling Rooney Master made me giggle
He's like 7 goals away from being England's top scorer too isn't he

And he's doing it just to spite all of us, the fucking stats farmer/grinder.

It genuinely saddens me that years from now people will not know the whole story and the revisionists will run riot. Maradona good, Pele great, George Best, but Rooney FIRST.

Nathan, it's our duty as Junited bros to write it all down on the caves of London

cherokee2.gif

Suen & Kip, any tips?

Wilbur

Banned
He's like 7 goals away from being England's top scorer too isn't he

And he's doing it just to spite all of us, the fucking stats farmer/grinder.

It genuinely saddens me that years from now people will not know the whole story and the revisionists will run riot. Maradona good, Pele great, George Best, but Rooney FIRST.

Nathan, it's our duty as Junited bros to write his whole story on the caves of London

cherokee2.gif

Suen & Kip, any tips?

I will write a letter to his house and leave instructions for it to be delivered 100,000 years from now and when his great great great great great great grandchildren see it they will denounce his legacy and rename themselves Welbeck

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I will write a letter to his house and leave instructions for it to be delivered 100,000 years from now and when his great great great great great great grandchildren see it they will denounce his legacy and rename themselves Welbeck

Welbeck is

literally

awful

L1NETT

From the price of football calculator thingy

Based on last season's results and prices, a home goal cost about £5.69 at Bradford in 2013-14.

The cheapest season ticket at Bradford is 30% less than the average comparable cost for League One of £285.

Good news Fortune, Cov Home goal only cost 4.49

bargain

compared to

Based on last season's results and prices, a home goal cost about £27.36 at Arsenal in 2013-14

So glad I don't have to come across any JJ articles anymore.

Spenk.

‘Could do better’ – Louis van Gaal’s report card at Manchester United
Jamie Jackson

Jamie-Jackson-L.png

Manager warned it would take three months for his ‘philosophy’ to take root, but there is still plenty of room for improvement

Louis-van-Gaal-Manchester-010.jpg

Mr Van Gaal arrived at Manchester United with high marks from all of his alma maters. At Ajax, Barcelona, AZ Alkmaar and Bayern Munich he rose to the top of the class, winning titles with a brand of football that was attractive. When at Ajax he also claimed the Champions League with a team made up of many young stars. All of this made Mr Van Gaal the perfect candidate to take over following the doomed tenure of Mr Moyes.

Mr Van Gaal stated on several occasions that three months were needed for his “philosophy” to take shape and, having taken over on 16 July, it is time for a mid-term report.

After winning every game on the tour of America, including the International Champions Cup final against Liverpool, eight matches have been played this season. The start was awful. An opening-day defeat to Swansea City was compounded by a 1-1 draw at Sunderland. Then came the 4-0 loss at MK Dons in the Capital One Cup and an uninspiring 0-0 draw at Burnley. At the fifth attempt the Dutchman finally won, a 4-0 defeat of Queens Park Rangers. But consistency was hard to find. After leading Leicester City 3-1, four goals were conceded in 26 second-half minutes.

However, his timescale of three months began to look achievable as the team bounced back with consecutive wins. West Ham United were defeated 2-1 – despite Master Rooney being sent off – then Everton were beaten by the same score. The side now stand in fourth place on 11 points, three behind Manchester City in second place, and eight away from the leaders, Chelsea.

Here is our mid-term report on Mr Van Gaal – complete with grades:

Training

Mr Van Gaal does not fling himself around during these sessions as Mr Moyes did but does become involved. Whether on tour or at the club’s Carrington base he often stands by a goalpost to conduct a continuing dialogue with players who are either praised or severely scolded.

Since arriving Mr Van Gaal has shown a clear vision for the Aon training complex that has resulted in a £3m investment. The main pitches next to the Jimmy Murphy Centre have been torn up and replaced with the same Desso surface used at Old Trafford. Some £500,000 has been invested in a video system so players can be more closely scrutinised. After introducing double training sessions, sleeping pods are available for rest, while his sessions are a blend of the functional and innovative.

Most training ends with penalties being taken, while Mr Van Gaal, with whistle and clipboard in hand, often orchestrates odd-sided teams in matches of, for example, 10 v 8 or 4 v 5. He thinks nothing of devoting a whole session to the practising of corners or simple pass-and-move sequences that encourage quick crossing of the ball at a skeleton defence.

One serious frustration has been the number of injuries – up to 10 players have been unavailable – with many of these occurring during training. Mr Van Gaal has admitted puzzlement at this but is working hard to address the problem.

Grade: B-

Team hotel

Mr Van Gaal has proved a stickler for punctuality, politeness and decorum at the Lowry Hotel, where the squad gather before each home match. He insists staff are greeted whenever applicable as players arrive and has been known to upbraid some – particularly the younger ones – if this does not occur. He has proved courteous and warm, and has created an atmosphere in which the team are encouraged to talk spontaneously and without fear about the upcoming game.

He also uses this time to continue discussions which are not always directly about football. These include not just the squad, and training and medical staff, but everyone present at the team hotel. This contrasts with Mr Moyes who could, at times, be aloof with the club’s more junior employees.

Due to his familiarity with the Lowry, its staff and its daily routine he has also proved particularly helpful in ensuring Masters Falcao, Di María, Rojo, Shaw, Herrera and Blind settle in while they were staying there.

Grade: B

Match day

Again, Mr Van Gaal has put his stamp on this area of his duties. There has been an overhaul at the Theatre of Dreams, both behind the scenes and on the pitch. Unlike Mr Moyes or indeed Sir himself, the new manager is a permanent presence from start to finish of the pre-game warm-up. He can be seen chatting with his support staff but his primary aim is to keep a close eye on players as they go through their stretching and practice exercises, to read their body language and ensure they are 100% focused.

As throughout pre-season, Mr Van Gaal continues to insist that the match-day attacking unit run through basic free-kick, corner and set-piece sequences with these often aimed at placing the ball into the area for a goal-scoring opportunity. Once more, this is a departure from his immediate predecessors.

And again, unlike them, Mr Van Gaal is a particularly calm presence once a match commences, preferring to watch all 90 minutes from his seat. Only once has he moved from this position during the eight games. In the 73rd minute of the 2-1 win over Everton at home, the team’s most recent outing, Mr Van Gaal was at last seen in the technical area giving instructions to Master Wilson who was about to enter for Master Falcao.

Away from public view Mr Van Gaal has also ordered that the creche for the team’s children be remodelled into part of an extended medical room, while the players’ lounge has been relocated and is now used partly as a warm-up area and media interview room.

Grade: C+

Man-management

Senior executives at the club have been taken aback at how open Mr Van Gaal has been about players during press conferences. In America, Masters Shaw, Kagawa and Hernández were criticised for various reasons, a policy that has continued once the season started. Mr Van Gaal thought nothing of describing Master Falcao as a better striker than Master Rooney, who it should not be forgotten he appointed as team captain, after the 5-3 loss to Leicester. Yet the sense from the team is that they are happy as the manager balances criticism with praise. More than this, Mr Van Gaal’s style has provided the kind of leadership so obviously absent under Mr Moyes and players are embracing the chance to grow not only as footballers but on a personal level. While Mr Ferguson’s style was to avoid as much media contact with him and the squad as possible, executives have also noted how Mr Van Gaal believes players should fulfil media duties as part of them being able to take greater responsibility and ownership of being a Manchester United footballer.

This aspect of Mr Van Gaal’s challenges on becoming manager has perhaps been his most successful as the players continue to buy into his approach, despite the uneven results and his individual approach.

Grade: A-

Philosophy

As mentioned, Mr Van Gaal speaks often of his “philosophy” and it seems this has been the toughest element for his players to comprehend. There are two strands: a playing and mental aspect. When Mr Van Gaal instantly switched to an unfamiliar 3-5-2 shape in pre-season and for the opening four games he appeared decisive. Yet after winning none of these matches and losing two, Mr Van Gaal switched to the four-man defence he has since stuck with.

Did this suggest a muddled “philosophy”? Or a manager secure enough to change things if results were not attained and new recruits had arrived to allow him to do so? Given the upturn in the team’s fortunes it is the latter, it would seem.

As for the mental side of his “philosophy”, Mr Van Gaal has talked of changing the players from being instinct-based when taking decisions to employing a more considered, thinking system. Again, this seems counter-intuitive and, it must be noted, players were initially privately concerned. But with the manager’s encouragement and his insistence that the squad watch individually tailored films on iPads and other personal consoles to improve their performances, his methods are beginning to bear fruit.

Grade: B

Overall

All in all Mr Van Gaal has made an encouraging start – and it should also be noted this has been done while giving debuts to seven homegrown youngsters – and a title challenge is still a distinct possibility.

Overall grade: B-

Lightning

Banned
Arsene Wenger knew Özil was injured at half time and played him 90 minutes anyway? What the fuck is wrong with this guy... Fucking hell.

Clegg

Jamie Jackson and Sachin Nakrani. For a paper that prides itself on the quality of its work the Guardian has some proper shite football writers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom