• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT8| - Sunderland 0

inky

OK, I've tried PES demo now.

The AI doesn't get super human powers when defending and actually has different behaviors while doing it: pressing, contain, etc. As opposed to just running at you regardless of which player is doing, or if he even has the attributes to do so.

It also passes the ball back! I can't overstate how much this surprised me. In FIFA an AI player would rather dribble with the ball stuck in his foot all over the pitch (and I really mean all over; I've seen AI players dribble from outside my box, back to their own) before considering a back pass. It also feels like you can build up play through the midfield and open spaces that way. In FIFA you almost exclusively compete in the last thirds of the pitch. Midfield is nonexistent.

I was extremely surprised when mind-run I could pass the ball to the side before the animation finished, something that in FIFA is clumsy as hell and is almost impossible without doing shit like cancelling moves or animations with RT+LT. In PES it would feel like it takes into account the position of your body during the run and even if you smash the power, physics takes precedence on how you actually end up hitting the ball. It's easier to lose the ball, but it's also easier to dribble with just the LS.

I know some of these example have always been the case when comparing both games, but the difference never felt so sharp as they feel now. Some of the recent PES games have shit like locking you to animations and trajectories and felt slow as hell. This one doesn't.

Playing against my bro was enjoyable too. Through passes aren't nerfed just because they can be abused like in FIFA.They are easier to make hear, but also easier to miss so there doesn't seem to be much pass assist. Much has been said about player ID so I won't go into that. I was actually surprised at the amount of different animations for simple things like turns and how they linked. I don't know, it feels really different.

That said... everything else sucks ass. Presentation is below subpar even for their standards. Like, I can't overstate how old and clumsy everything feels. I love the robust game plan options, but setting them is a nightmare. crowd models (if you can even call those pixelated cut-outs "models") and their animations are so bad. I feel like it doesn't matter if some faces look better when everything else looks so bad and so LQ. Lighting is so flat. The sound is the worse I've heard in a football game in forever, with the same loud thuds every time the ball is hit regardless of power. And before you nerds come and tell me how bu-bu-bu it's gameplay that counts, there's a few gameplay problems with it too. Refereeing is terrible inconsistent. I've done ankle breaking diving tackles from behind without so much as a foul call, and simple challenges end up in yellow card. And no it's not "realistic" just because referees suck ass IRL. In game it can even feel unfair. Players also suffer from the FIFA 15 syndrome of falling and stumbling over each other, although not as frequently or comically, but it does happen. I feel keepers are better here, but not by much, and they are as prone as letting dumb goals in as they ever were. I swear I saw the same behavior from everyone defensively during 3 straight corners, all ending up in the same punching the ball out animation. I've always hated their inverted cursor thingy during corners and goal kicks. I swear whenever the ball goes where I want is by chance. It's so counter-intuitive and takes more time than it should. Didn't take a penalty so I don't know how that is, but PES is famous for fucking up this shit since 12 so I don't know. No idea how online is, but I'm not expecting much. They've always fucked that up too.

All in all, I thought it was just the same crazy ramblings about how the king is back and shit I've been hearing for years, but this time it really does feel different. Maybe if you idiots haven't done this same dance for 5 years+ now I would've believed sooner. I still doubt I'd buy it, considering I'd prefer the PC version and god knows how that one is. The mode I'd like to play the most is BAL and I'm sure that is still an afterthought anyways. Maybe on sale in the future.

You win Snitch, it's gud. #thekingiskindabackbutnotreally

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
God damn it I still haven't pulled the trigger on PES. I feel kinda irresponsible getting it now at "full price"* with GTA and Smash Bro coming later this month as well.

*45 euro at Amazon, but still.

image.php

Can't a magic machine just turn my FIFA copy into PES?
Original rvy is disappointed

Actually original rvy would just fucking gun you down now :lol

RIP rvy :(

God damn it I still haven't pulled the trigger on PES. I feel kinda irresponsible getting it now at "full price"* with GTA and Smash Bro coming later this month as well.

*45 euro at Amazon, but still.

image.php

Can't a magic machine just turn my FIFA copy into PES?

Ebay could

noal

Banned
I got PES yesterday and am awful at it. Time for more training methinks although I scored a beauty after a lovely backheel by Van Persie. I then cocked up saving it. Sigh.

Facism

i came home earlier, rubbing my palms, looking forward to some club football to watch.

Forgot it was international break. Like waking up at night thinking the wife is sleeping next to you and realising she died years ago and now you're all alone and pathetic.

jts

...hate me...
Original rvy is disappointed

Actually original rvy would just fucking gun you down now :lol

Yurt pls

I was staning for PES before rvy was rvy and he would shit on PES so much back then and praise FIFA.

Then he had a change of heart and started hating FIFA instead. Classic move.

Then one time he hyped me for a PES release and we were going to play it online so I got my PS3 copy as he said he would but then he was all like nahhh... maybe later, and on the 360. smfh

Since PES 4 I only missed one PES I think, like 2012 or 2013. And got most of them on launch period or day one.

I deserve PES 2015.

Konami, gibe pls

jts

...hate me...
Ebay could

Can't be arsed.

In about a month I'll go home for xmas and probably will trade it in-store or something. By then hopefully there's a final verdict on the online and whatnot so it's really the right thing to do, much as it pains me.

Scum

i came home earlier, rubbing my palms, looking forward to some club football to watch.

Forgot it was international break. Like waking up at night thinking the wife is sleeping next to you and realising she died years ago and now you're all alone and pathetic.

Facism, pls. 😟

I'm so sorry for your loss.

noal

Banned
Can you guys connect to the PES 2015 servers on PS4 right now?

I'm still deciding whether to pay for PSN yet or not. Nintendo has spoiled me.

Edit: never mind. I am dense.

Edit: or not?

I've got a headache which England are about to make worse.

Elchele

Na m8, it's good, much better than previous years, but I can't deal with the presentation. And since I got the hang of the defending in Fifa, I like it.

I would stick with FIFA 14 if I was you.

OK, I've tried PES demo now.

The AI doesn't get super human powers when defending and actually has different behaviors while doing it: pressing, contain, etc. As opposed to just running at you regardless of which player is doing, or if he even has the attributes to do so.

It also passes the ball back! I can't overstate how much this surprised me. In FIFA an AI player would rather dribble with the ball stuck in his foot all over the pitch (and I really mean all over; I've seen AI players dribble from outside my box, back to their own) before considering a back pass. It also feels like you can build up play through the midfield and open spaces that way. In FIFA you almost exclusively compete in the last thirds of the pitch. Midfield is nonexistent.

I was extremely surprised when mind-run I could pass the ball to the side before the animation finished, something that in FIFA is clumsy as hell and is almost impossible without doing shit like cancelling moves or animations with RT+LT. In PES it would feel like it takes into account the position of your body during the run and even if you smash the power, physics takes precedence on how you actually end up hitting the ball. It's easier to lose the ball, but it's also easier to dribble with just the LS.

I know some of these example have always been the case when comparing both games, but the difference never felt so sharp as they feel now. Some of the recent PES games have shit like locking you to animations and trajectories and felt slow as hell. This one doesn't.

Playing against my bro was enjoyable too. Through passes aren't nerfed just because they can be abused like in FIFA.They are easier to make hear, but also easier to miss so there doesn't seem to be much pass assist. Much has been said about player ID so I won't go into that. I was actually surprised at the amount of different animations for simple things like turns and how they linked. I don't know, it feels really different.

That said... everything else sucks ass. Presentation is below subpar even for their standards. Like, I can't overstate how old and clumsy everything feels. I love the robust game plan options, but setting them is a nightmare. crowd models (if you can even call those pixelated cut-outs "models") and their animations are so bad. I feel like it doesn't matter if some faces look better when everything else looks so bad and so LQ. Lighting is so flat. The sound is the worse I've heard in a football game in forever, with the same loud thuds every time the ball is hit regardless of power. And before you nerds come and tell me how bu-bu-bu it's gameplay that counts, there's a few gameplay problems with it too. Refereeing is terrible inconsistent. I've done ankle breaking diving tackles from behind without so much as a foul call, and simple challenges end up in yellow card. And no it's not "realistic" just because referees suck ass IRL. In game it can even feel unfair. Players also suffer from the FIFA 15 syndrome of falling and stumbling over each other, although not as frequently or comically, but it does happen. I feel keepers are better here, but not by much, and they are as prone as letting dumb goals in as they ever were. I swear I saw the same behavior from everyone defensively during 3 straight corners, all ending up in the same punching the ball out animation. I've always hated their inverted cursor thingy during corners and goal kicks. I swear whenever the ball goes where I want is by chance. It's so counter-intuitive and takes more time than it should. Didn't take a penalty so I don't know how that is, but PES is famous for fucking up this shit since 12 so I don't know. No idea how online is, but I'm not expecting much. They've always fucked that up too.

All in all, I thought it was just the same crazy ramblings about how the king is back and shit I've been hearing for years, but this time it really does feel different. Maybe if you idiots haven't done this same dance for 5 years+ now I would've believed sooner. I still doubt I'd buy it, considering I'd prefer the PC version and god knows how that one is. The mode I'd like to play the most is BAL and I'm sure that is still an afterthought anyways. Maybe on sale in the future.

You win Snitch, it's gud. #thekingiskindabackbutnotreally

why would you make a hands on of a demo? We can all try it for free. pls

3Sixty

3Sixtys Betting corner.

The value of the night has to be Ukraine vs Luxembourg.

Ukraine -1 is a generous 4/5, great ACCA builder.

-2 is a massive 85/40 on Bet Victor and well worth a lump.

inky

why would you make a hands on of a demo? We can all try it for free. pls

Huh? It's not a hand-on. It's not a recommendation or assessment of the demo for your convenience, it's my reasons of why I didn't believe Snitch and why I kind of do now.

Shit, Baumgartlinger (Austria) injured and can't play against Russia. That's almost as much a setback as Alaba missing. Bit worried about our midfield's sturdiness now.

Fuck the queen.

YES SHANKSU! No idea, PES is probably still downloading for me at home.

Ah, I saw your post. Was confusing as fuck for me too. Took me 20 minutes to find the info page to see how much was downloaded. Catch you for a game tomorrow. Some England LOLs and then bed :(

I hate the word surging pass. It just means someone played a long ball forward for a striker but was hit too hard. I really hate David Pleat, I bet he mentions Spurs 20 times

Top Bottom