• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT8| - Sunderland 0

Wilbur

Banned
Okay. Today, I have:

- watched the first episode of The Blacklist. It's fun, fast paced and Spader kills it. Nothing special but will breeze through the first series while playing FM.

- watched the first episode of Peaky Blinders. Also good. Looks brilliant, direction and cinematography is top notch. Murphy and Sam Neill are great, everyone else is varied (whether this is the actors or the on the nose script I can't tell yet).

- watched the first twenty minutes of GOT. It was okay. Editing is haphazard and Jon Snow can't act. Turned it off the first time you see Jaime and Cersei because girlfriend was bored. I'll watch it tomorrow.

- watched the first two episodes of Utopia. It looks fucking gorgeous but the plot is hard as fuck to follow and there's so many bloody contrivances. The bit where she said "there's a guy called the tramp and I reckon this phone box is his office" just made me laugh. Either the script writers have made every single character omniscient or everything's a coincidence. Will watch one more and see if I can get my head around it. Really liked the first episode but the second was a bit guff.

- watched the first three episodes of Californication. Despite not understanding exactly why everyone wants to fuck David Duchovny, it is funny and there's lots of tits.

- watched Se7en. Fucking incredible again.

- watched the Faculty. Fun. Good cast.

inky

That's quite the marathon. I dropped Blacklist a few eps in. Spader is boss, but it was too ultimate spy for me.

Carbonox

On to the final episode of Boardwalk Empire. Sad times.

I have to ask though regarding Chaz and Dave
How the fuck has Charlie all of a sudden got an entire criminal organization under his belt? Simply by somehow convincing the crewdem to take out the top mandem (Joe, etc.)? Is this supposed to be how the Mafia become the number one crime organization in the country or what? I just feel it's a bit...I dunno...rushed? Or poorly explained. Or I'm just being stupid. I dunno. Spaz.

Bear in mind I haven't seen the final episode yet but yah if someone could explain that for me...

Should've requested one of those plastic face masks.

My nose keeps dribbling with blood and shit during the healing process so I'd just end up scaring mugs off cos they'd think I've got Ebola or something and I'm pissing blood out of every orifice. #

that last bit ain't true, just the nose dribbling

How the fuck has Charlie all of a sudden got an entire criminal organization under his belt? Simply by somehow convincing the crewdem to take out the top mandem (Joe, etc.)? Is this supposed to be how the Mafia become the number one crime organization in the country or what? I just feel it's a bit...I dunno...rushed? Or poorly explained. Or I'm just being stupid. I dunno. Spaz.

Bear in mind I haven't seen the final episode yet but yah if someone could explain that for me...

My nose keeps dribbling with blood and shit during the healing process so I'd just end up scaring mugs off cos they'd think I've got Ebola or something and I'm pissing blood out of every orifice. #

that last bit ain't true, just the nose dribbling

Hard as fuck m8

Carbonox

Alan Pardew on his squad:

He said: “It’s a bit like one of those IKEA furniture packs you buy.

“You can’t try and get to the end (straight away), you’ve got to do all the little bits to get there and it takes time.

“I’ve done a few of them because my wife’s Swedish.

“It’s about doing the little bit first, and if you get that wrong, the second bit doesn’t work.

“If you get the second bit wrong, the third bit definitely ain’t working and the tabletop is all...

ib2prFi25kEdBe.png

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

It's rushed and poorly explained.

It's a shame they skipped a decade because the story is really interesting.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Commission_(mafia)

Salazar

Also Dire Straits, "Brothers in Arms".

Great music, made greater by the West Wing. Martin Sheen blew the facking doors off.

Clegg

Sat here at 4.30 in the morning reading Robin Hobb. Never has an author so thoroughly enjoyed heaping misery on the main character. Poor Fitz. GRRM hasn't a patch on this sadist.

Salazar

Sat here at 4.30 in the morning reading Robin Hobb. Never has an author so thoroughly enjoyed heaping misery on the main character. Poor Fitz. GRRM hasn't a patch on this sadist.

I read the first one in the new trilogy. Albinos and whatnot.

Phlebas

Banned
Any of you by chance read sci-fi?

I haven't managed to find anything that has captured my attention like the Enders Game books.

Esch

Banned
all the ISL coverage i've been reading made me look up some stuff about the I-League. I stumbled upon a picture of the Mumbai FC manager, Khalid Jamil.

Looks like alien Costa.

football2--621x414.jpg

all the ISL coverage i've been reading made me look up some stuff about the I-League. I stumbled upon a picture of the Mumbai FC manager, Khalid Jamil.

Looks like alien Costa.

football2--621x414.jpg

Apparently in the first week 170 million people watched ISL. let's see if they can keep it up.

dc89

Also Dire Straits, "Brothers in Arms".

Went to see a fantastic tribute band simply called The Straits. Alan Clark (original keyboardist) and Chris White (Sax) are in the group with other musicians who I didn't know by name, but, had toured with many very good bands (I think the drummer was Eric Clapton's drummer).

Got my pics with them two.

Reality Dysfunction
Neutronium Alchemist
Naked God

I've had Reality Dysfuction on my shelf for a couple of years now, keep putting it off cos it looks like a tome. Loads of pages, tiny font.

Currently reading Ash by James Herbert, which I picked up on a whim cos it has a cover featuring a spooky castle, and cost £4. It's objectively contrived dogshit, but I'm enjoying it nonetheless.

Been finding it much easier to get to sleep since I started reading again semi-regularly. As long as it's not completely engrossing, I find that many books hit the sweet spot between being enjoyable, and just about able to sap enough mental effort to send me nodward

Groups of 16 year old trick-or-treaters. What the fuck is that all about?

Thinking about tackling SP: The Stick of Truth next. Yey or ney?

I was gonna do my monthly 'what game should I play next' post today, since I've finished SoM and XCOM doesn't hold my attention for long enough periods to be the game that I'm playing :p

I'm thinking Stalker: Call of Pripyat

I gave up on MGS3, it's just not as fun when you know the story

Mastadon

Banned

I haven't managed to find anything that has captured my attention like the Enders Game books.

Ha I was going to recommend Iain Banks before I properly registered your username. The Foundation books by Asimov are pretty solid.

If you can find it, I highly recommend 'Stories of your life and others' by Ted Chiang.

Zabojnik

I was gonna do my monthly 'what game should I play next' post today, since I've finished SoM and XCOM doesn't hold my attention for long enough periods to be the game that I'm playing. I'm thinking Stalker: Call of Pripyat

What's the verdict on SoM? I'm kinda interested, but I don't know.

What's the verdict on SoM? I'm kinda interested, but I don't know.

If you're decent at Batman games, 7/10

If you're shit at them, 9/10

At first I thought I'd regard it as a good 8, but then I realised that's only in the context of the rest of the PS4's library which is incredibly underwhelming, so I've taken a step back, and it's a 7 in the grand scheme of things if you don't get much out of the Nemesis system imo

(using the classic 6-10 scale of course :p)

Phlebas

Banned
Ha I was going to recommend Iain Banks before I properly registered your username. The Foundation books by Asimov are pretty solid.

If you can find it, I highly recommend 'Stories of your life and others' by Ted Chiang.

Always thought about picking up the Foundation series, love Asimov.

I'll look into it again.

Zabojnik

If you're decent at Batman games, 7/10

If you're shit at them, 9/10

At first I thought I'd regard it as a good 8, but then I realised that's only in the context of the rest of the PS4's library which is incredibly underwhelming, so I've taken a step back, and it's a 7 in the grand scheme of things if you don't get much out of the Nemesis system imo

(using the classic 6-10 scale of course :p)

Have yet to properly play one, so I don't know. I'm good at everything though. I'm what I need to be.

"How's that make you anything at all?"

RIP in bullet-riddled pieces, Boardwalk Empire. :(((

I see you've encountered Banks too. I'd recommend Bujold's Vorkosigan series if you like unlikely heroes in your space opera.

Altered Carbon or Black Man by Richard K Morgan if you want to stay Earthbound and enjoy hard-boiled protagonists.

Or try sf that mixes genres and read Perdido Street Station or Embassytown by China Mieville, The Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe, Heroes Die by Matthew Stover, or Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler.

I read the first one in the new trilogy. Albinos and whatnot.

And one long game of 'Who's the father?'.

DBT85

I thoroughly enjoyed Stephen Donaldsons Gap Sequence. First book is a bit fucked up but it's a great series overall.

bjaelke

Igor Gamula told local media the club had “enough dark-skinned players, we’ve got six of the things” when asked in a post-match news conference Friday about rumours Rostov would sign Cameroon defender Benoit Angbwa.

Gamula also said that five of his Russian players were ill with a high temperature and joked that the Ebola epidemic was the cause.

“I’m already worrying it’s Ebola,” he said, before adding that the reference to the disease was “a joke, obviously.”
Russia, obviously.

Bobby Pires turned 41 today. He was truly next level in 2001/02, shame he got injured against Newcastle and missed the world cup. He was IMO the best player at the world at that time, and would have given Ronaldo a serious challenge for world player of the year if he had stayed healthy.

Top Bottom