• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT9| - How the Snitch stole all the banter

leadbelly

Banned
Yeah. Pushing him in defence pretty much killed our momentum. He dictates our play and initiate so much of our attack.

Just before moving into defence, he played a great ball to RVP as well. If RVP socred that it would have been just like his World Cup goal.

The sub vs Ludo

That was a pretty poor one yeah, but not one that should have changed the shape of the game to the extent it did. Coutinho off for Lovren was only ever going to end up putting us under more pressure. I think we'd have seen the game out by just closing up a bit, rather than changing the entire formation and gameplan.

Oh well, we got away with it :D

(I know its only Stoke, we fucking needed that though)

faridmon

Didn't realise it was that bad, they do have bad spells at times. I think they'll be alright for the season though.

The guardian did a piece on them, the only advantage they had was their home as it was built like fortress, they no longer have that mentality!

GorillaJu

I liked our midfield without Gerrard much more mobile and better defensively. We gave our CB much better protection today. Though without him, our free kicks and corners were terrible.

Also horrible sub that invited on pressure. We were better off bolstering our midfield to control the game for the remaining mins.

It was a panic sub for sure. Our defense was never really under pressure because Allen and Lucas cleaned up so well, Sterling tracked back and Johnson had his best game in a long while.

scently

Easy, by replacing Fellaini, who wasn't particularly great again today.

Fellaini is good as an option, but not for the football we want to play.

Yep. Fair play to Felliani over the last few games, he provided exactly what we needed in those games but I will still have Herrera over him. His game is much better when we don't need height.

Also Falcao didn't really miss, Dawson pretty much put himself on the line so there isn't much he can do about that. It was an outstanding block.

I really hope Rooney isn't injured.

That sub is the most stupid decision I've seen Rodgers make. Against Stoke of all teams to invite long balls and pressure against

Massive, massive relief. All credit to Johnson, played okay and put his head where it hurts to get us a potentially fucking huge win. Bojan is a cracking little player.

Seems we can't attack well and defend solidly at once, so I'd rather we just played like we did from the 45th to 85th minute. At least its not completely soul-destroying :p

CLEAN SHEET

:lol at your avatar.

scently

I thought Mata looked to have a far better understanding of playing deeper today. Was markedly better and smarter with his use of the ball.

I noticed that too. Much better play from him today. If this injury crisis eases off we will have quite a good squad with just a few fixes in defence, and of course, Strootman if we can get him.

I thought Mata looked to have a far better understanding of playing deeper today. Was markedly better and smarter with his use of the ball.
Yeah he was much more comfortable in that role today and used the ball well.

It'll be interesting to see those average position graphics today. Fellaini was very wide right and added nothing today - looked lost.

Wilbur

Banned
Just seen the scores.

Good result, that; lovely to see Ander get some game time (even if it was at the expense of another fucking injury). Add that to Rooney continuing good form, Mata starting, Rojo back, Smalling playing well for the second game in a row, Carrick playing fantastically, RVP scoring, Rumbo back... good day. Need to win on Tuesday though.

Good results for Arsenal, Liverpool, QPR, Palace and West Ham too.

K1LLER7

Manchester United goalscorer Robin van Persie, who scored his first Premier League goal in four games:

"I was glad to score - I needed that goal to be honest.
"We played really well, you could see that in way we passed the ball. Every week it gets quicker and better. Today it could have been 4-0 or 5-0."

Saints and Liverpool in a row after Stoke? Both away?

Need 4 points minimum from those two.
Liverpool are at home.

Should be looking to win both really. Saints in good form but it's not good enough to be taking a draw from them. And Liverpool are just a poor team right now.

That said - try and get 11 players out there against Stoke first :lol

Liverpool are at home.

Should be looking to win both really. Saints in good form but it's not good enough to be taking a draw from them. And Liverpool are just a poor team right now.

It doesn't matter if Liverpool are poor. United and Liverpool matches are always a shit fest. United are usually crap against them.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Excellent results, happy for y'all!

Horrible Bosses 2 was genuinely good :lol Dumb & Dumber (& Dumbest) done right :lol

I was expecting it to be just your typical cash grab hollywood sequel but it really wasn't!

Goodbye.

Wilbur

Banned
Liverpool are at home.

Agreed, but if we don't get the win I wouldn't be massively disappointed considering our respective forms.

Regardless of whether Blackett and McNair are good enough, it's nice to see two defenders on the bench! Any timeframe for Rafael yet?

And wilson's injured too? Pls

Slizz

Excellent results, happy for y'all!

Horrible Bosses 2 was genuinely good :lol Dumb & Dumber (& Dumbest) done right :lol

I was expecting it to be just your typical cash grab hollywood sequel but it really wasn't!

Goodbye.

Was on the fence about going to the movie theater and seeing this. Guess I'll pull the trigger.

Wilbur

Banned
Lets not pretend we won't batter you.

#BigBlackVic will go through TheProspect like he's not even there.

What was the score last year at your place, I can't remember?

1-1? Don't think we lost (praise Moyes)

I remember your first season up, dat RVP hat trick. Being in the queue for the Harry Potter experience. What a time, etcetera etcetera.

Dean accidentally kicked a child in the queue.

Or rather, I didn't know United played in yellow.
ibbeoXJbpptaSR.png

3Sixty

What was the score last year at your place, I can't remember?

1-1? Don't think we lost (praise Moyes)

I remember your first season up, dat RVP hat trick. Being in the queue for the Harry Potter experience. What a time, etcetera etcetera.

Dean accidentally kicked a child in the queue.

Giggs was in charge :lol

Lambert scored after dropping Vidic.

Should have beat you that 1st season. Played you off the park.

:lol at your avatar.

He gets it til midnight

Then I'm back on the abuse-train :p

Seriously, he's so fucking annoying. Sometimes he does things that make him look like one of the bst attacking rightbacks around, like when he prodded it past Pietersen, glided around him and burst down the line before delivering a perfect pass for Lambert to shoot first time.

Then he gets the ball at his feet 25 yards out, and tries running around Bojan who'd anticipated it about 5 minutes before he did it, and got lucky that the tackle took Bojan too wide.

He'll probably look back on his career wondering how good he could have been if he'd put in the extra hours with his various coaches on real basic defensive moves.

When you take away his attacking freedom, which he hasn't really had since his first 3 months here, he's just a decent attacking fullback, prone to massive lapses in concentration. Would like to have seen how good he could have become at a Barca or someone, where the RB isn't even expected to spend most of the game in his own half :p

(not that I'm saying he was ever good enough for a Barca)

Just look at how much better Coutinho looked with players making space for him and running the channels. Difference between that second half (pre-sub) and most performances this season is ridiculous, and honestly makes it pretty clear that its been a tactical decision to have us playing so conservatively. Hopefully this is the first step to finding more of a balance between control at the back and flow in attack.

Lucas is helping massively imo in our attempts to find that, and Toure was pretty much faultless today. Bit of a weird game since I couldn't say anyone in that back 6 played poorly, but Stoke could stll easily have scored 4. Systematic problems in full evidence, and I truly don't have a clue how we can even start fixing them.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Jones scored? Tuttosport redeemed

Can he play LB? (or rather can he play at all)

He looks cool which is gud enaf for me

Top Bottom