• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Newcastle would have taken a draw before the game, but I bet their fans are disappointed with that.

We were unbelievably bad in the first-half, no desire and terrible in midfield. Thank God for Willian & Rami, the desire they showed was exactly what we needed all game.

Relieved we finally got a win again. Happy for studge to be back scoring goals and even though Dings wasnt quite his best today theres still something I enjoy about him, his work rate and desire to score.

Walker was way offside there.
Is this where we have to re-explain the offside rule?

EDIT: To be fair, I should have probably quoted these claims that the first goal was off instead of Beefy correctly calling Walker off:
Even with two offside goals Tottenham have been the better side against City. City look bland
tottenham's 2nd goal wasn't offside. First and third were.
3-1. Kane

May have been offside again.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
2084871441iksjg.gif

Yes, that play is offside, but that's the previous possession. City collects the ball after the shot and advances it with a pass before Dier intercepts it and scores.

The goal is a direct result of the offside, with the city defense and whole organization really in shambles. There's no arguing that it should never have been allowed, it was a mistake from the linesman. But De Bruyne I am pretty sure was also off, so it evens itself out fine.

The goal is a direct result of the offside, with the city defense and whole organization really in shambles. There's no arguing that it should never have been allowed, it was a mistake from the linesman. But De Bruyne I am pretty sure was also off, so it evens itself out fine.
The previous play definitely should have been called offside, however the goal was a direct result of City's poor pass after gaining possession. If they wanted to get re-organized, they had the opportunity.

The previous play definitely should have been called offside, however the goal was a direct result of City's poor pass after gaining possession. If they wanted to get re-organized, they had the opportunity.

A poor play that never would have happened, unless the whole team was disorganized like it was due to a clear offside, messing up their shape. Of course he could have just cleared it, but everything was chaos. They did play to the whistle, and that is what you are now somehow trying to equal to being a new phase in the game, even if it's a direct result, of the wrongly judged offside. They tried to play on and failed. Here's me re-explaining the offside rule: If there's offside, it should be judged offside.

A poor play that never would have happened, unless the whole team was disorganized like it was due to a clear offside, messing up their shape. Of course he could have just cleared it, but everything was chaos. They did play to the whistle, and that is what you are now somehow trying to equal to being a new phase in the game, even if it's a direct result, of the wrongly judged offside. They tried to play on and failed. Here's me re-explaining the offside rule: If there's offside, it should be judged offside.
Yes, Walker was offside and should have been judged so. The play should have been called dead and City given a free kick. It wasn't though and City re-gained possession. They did play to the whistle (that comment was tongue in cheek) but they didn't play intelligently to the whistle. Dier's goal wasn't offside, but Tottenham's previous possession was. How long do we need to wait between a blown call and goal for it to be legitimate? For me, the change of possession resets the clock.

My argument isn't that Dier's goal wasn't effected by the blown call, but that the goal wasn't offisde. The ball was played to Dier by City, it's impossible for his goal to be offside.

EDIT FOR CLARITY:

Allow me to re-iterate the crow eating I edited into my previous posts. The clip of the goal I saw initially started with Walker in possession and shooting on goal. The rebound was collected by City and then they passed it to Dier who scored with Walker and several other Tottenham players in an offside position, but they weren't active in Dier's shot. That's what I was responding to initially (mistakenly.) However, while the blown call left City unsettled, City's pass to Dier - by definition - makes his goal on-side.

And as additional support, I'm watching the replay on NBCSN and the announcer just said, "No doubt about offside the second time around, Nobody interfered with Clay"

Please. He has to thank Moyes for the solid foundation.

Can't tell if this is banter. The only strong contribution from Moyes was Mata. LvG did all the big clearing of the deadweight from the SAF era in the last 2 transfer windows as well as building the strong foundation you see now.

Also, the way United are playing isn't very reassuring and they still have to play some top teams so the verdict is still out. Think we'll have a better picture over the next few weeks.

Tubie

This is the most interesting the PL has been in years for me.

La Liga is also very interesting since neither of the big 2 are really dominating and you have teams like Celta and Villarreal with amazing starts.

gmPa1iA.png

What a time to be alive.

United is gonna win the league aren't they?

LvG is a genius.

They will be up there, above Chelsea and Arsenal unless they royally fuck up. The type of play is safe and boring but it is consistent over a long season and should pick up points even if the majority of games are 1 - 0. You could see from how the team celebrated against beating Sunderland for how much it meant to them and that will go a long way.

AcridMeat

Banned
Watching MOTD now. I feel really bad for Wilson, that is going to be a long injury. :(

Really excited for Arsenal - Man U next week though, should be really fun.

Clydefrog

La Liga is also very interesting since neither of the big 2 are really dominating and you have teams like Celta and Villarreal with amazing starts.

gmPa1iA.png

What a time to be alive.
Let's see what the table looks like in... Hmm... December

VLiberty

gmPa1iA.png

What a time to be alive.

Have you seen what Serie A currently looks like? Juve is currently dead, Napoli is meh, Roma could be better, Sassuolo and Chievo are -4 and -5 from the top.

Tubie

Have you seen what Serie A currently looks like? Juve is currently dead, Napoli is meh, Roma could be better, Sassuolo and Chievo are -4 and -5 from the top.

I had to admit, I have not followed Serie A in years, but that's awesome to see happening.

Reach out and touch faith

Your own personal Jesus
Someone to hear your prayers
Someone who cares
Your own personal Jesus
Someone to hear your prayers
Someone who's there

Feeling unknown
And you're all alone
Flesh and bone
By the telephone
Lift up the receiver