• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cystm

Next sunday tho.

JWDdjS0.jpg

[Fugo]

Fiorentina leading Serie A for the first time after 16 years, from that 1999 February when Batistuta got injured and that amazing ride and the dreams of my city came to an end.
It probably won't last, but I'm so happy right now

it's just 4 points now and with a win next week by dortmund anything can happen

don't forget the inevitable after winter break slump from bayern.

Yes, what if Bayern is only up 10 points instead of 20 after the winter break?

I can already feel the excitement, it's gonna be a tense as fuck March next year.

Blablurn

there is something about this name

12038059_10153191987953030_1904706351155864725_n.png

in other news.

i hate defeats but i wouldn't mind some competition either. dont get me wrong. i want to see bayern winnign the 4th title in a row but make it more interesting.

but you can only blame dortmund itself. yes, by buying lewa and götze we took something from them. but that doesnt excuse the stupid goals they are still getting this year. you had strange matches vs odds, hoffenheim and now darmstadt where they always come back from trailing.

but you can only blame dortmund itself. yes, by buying lewa and götze we took something from them. but that doesnt excuse the stupid goals they are still getting this year. you had strange matches vs odds, hoffenheim and now darmstadt where they always come back from trailing.

Sorry, but that post is just showing everything that's wrong with the Bundesliga.

Nobody cares about Lewa and Götze anymore. Auba might not be as complete as a striker as Lewa but he scores like crazy and is already more loved by the fans than Lewa ever was. Götze is irrelevant at this point, and I'll gladly take current Micky and Reus over him.

The point is, we just had one of the worst seasons in recent history and our coach of 7 years decided to leave. Many people thought that with Klopp leaving, BVB would be lucky to finish on a CL spot. And then we're lucky to start with great games against a, in hindsight completely shit Gladbach side, whose coach resigned just weeks later and newly promoted Ingolstadt. We win (with a bit of luck) against terribly average Hertha and my most likely team to get relegated this season, Hannover. Then we put in a great performance against a rather bad Leverkusen. Add the EL qualifiers against shit teams which really shouldn't count for anything, and the media makes a "11 matches won in a row" series and number one Bayern contender.

Yes, the team which just got a new coach and can't possibly play the way he wants after 7 years of Klopp yet. We are to blame for the rather shit matches against Hoffenheim and Darmstadt but really, it's not bad at all. 17 out of 21 points with a new coach is a terrific start. Especially when we're missing CL money to get new players. We've got Castro, Weigl and Januzaj, Bayern can afford Vidal, Costa and Coman, on top of their already crazy good squad.

Everyone expects things of BVB that can't possibly be expected. Instead, we should focus on how disappointing Gladbach, Leverkusen and Wolfsburg (!) are. But nobody expects them to be relevant, anyway.

marmaraS

Any thoughts on the new FIFA?

Been playing it for a couple of weeks now and it seems a bit dull? Loved Fifa 15 but this version seems to be all sorts of weird - passing and dribbling seem to be based on robots and the goalkeepers are bloody awful - new tactic for me has been to get the team to pass back to the GK and then rob him - won 3 games that way...

Rush_Khan

Next sunday tho.

Wow, that's pretty impressive. So many derby and rivalry games.

I think it's alright, but not as good as previous FIFAs. The AI is very ping-pong even on Professional and it's very hard to get the ball off them. I still don't exactly know how to change the custom tactics for short, faster passing. My biggest gripes are the size of the arrow cursor on top of players being too small and turning yellow - you can barely see it - as well as the low drop rates of rare cards in FUT!

Actually, could Arsenal fans help me out with something? I bought some tickets for Arsenal v Olympiakos tomorrow but I never received a booking confirmation email. I tried resending the email in Account History but nothing happens. I need this as one of the members I bought a ticket for does not have a physical red membership card (they registered yesterday) so I need some sort of proof of purchase.

Please help, it's my first time purchasing (expensive) tickets. What do we need to bring to the Emirates? Will they let us in without a red membership card?

Been playing it for a couple of weeks now and it seems a bit dull? Loved Fifa 15 but this version seems to be all sorts of weird - passing and dribbling seem to be based on robots and the goalkeepers are bloody awful - new tactic for me has been to get the team to pass back to the GK and then rob him - won 3 games that way...

I haven't actually bought it yet but I always find the AI pretty boring to play against. I mostly play Head-to-Head and Pro Clubs these days.

Cappa

Banned

I find it more difficult than fifa 15 and not a fan. They've nerfed speed but to a ridiculous amount which I'm glad they nerfed but it seems like a huge handicap especially when Ronaldo can't blow by a guy like Ricardo Carvalho

Rush_Khan

Don't worry, I sorted it out. The person without the membership card needs to pick up a paper ticket from the collection office.

Arteta and Flamini are out, and Coquelin might not be ready for tomorrow, so who are Arsenal going field in DM?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Don't worry, I sorted it out. The person without the membership card needs to pick up a paper ticket from the collection office.

Arteta and Flamini are out, and Coquelin might not be ready for tomorrow, so who are Arsenal going field in DM?

Cazorla probably, maybe Adaleide (sp)

MrKaepora

[Fugo];180141089 said:
Fiorentina leading Serie A for the first time after 16 years, from that 1999 February when Batistuta got injured and that amazing ride and the dreams of my city came to an end.
It probably won't last, but I'm so happy right now
I'm happy for Paulo Sousa. He deserves the best and has been doing an amazing job as a coach.

Do you think European leagues planned such matches so that there is a big football weekend periodically or just scheduling coincidence?

11216835_1595743897132487_792259876457976266_n.png

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
WBA v Everton in the second half has been a very fun game.

Next sunday tho.

JWDdjS0.jpg
Sensational. I have a 4 weekend next week, can't wait.

Wednesday's CL match day is fairly stacked as well, I'm going to have all these games on at the same time:

Man U v Wolfsburg
Gladbach v City
Atlético v Benfica
Juve v Sevilla

Jarnet87

I ended up getting it instead of PES when they announced that roster updates wouldn't be in PES til October 29th, at least for offline modes like Master League or w/e the career mode is called. Was a huge bummer for me as I'm lazy and was already on the fence about their lack of licenses and having to upload kits one by one.

Jose saying no one at Chelsea is untouchable. Coming from the man who never rotates even he can't have any belief in saying it.

spidye

Sorry, but that post is just showing everything that's wrong with the Bundesliga.

Nobody cares about Lewa and Götze anymore. Auba might not be as complete as a striker as Lewa but he scores like crazy and is already more loved by the fans than Lewa ever was. Götze is irrelevant at this point, and I'll gladly take current Micky and Reus over him.

The point is, we just had one of the worst seasons in recent history and our coach of 7 years decided to leave. Many people thought that with Klopp leaving, BVB would be lucky to finish on a CL spot. And then we're lucky to start with great games against a, in hindsight completely shit Gladbach side, whose coach resigned just weeks later and newly promoted Ingolstadt. We win (with a bit of luck) against terribly average Hertha and my most likely team to get relegated this season, Hannover. Then we put in a great performance against a rather bad Leverkusen. Add the EL qualifiers against shit teams which really shouldn't count for anything, and the media makes a "11 matches won in a row" series and number one Bayern contender.

Yes, the team which just got a new coach and can't possibly play the way he wants after 7 years of Klopp yet. We are to blame for the rather shit matches against Hoffenheim and Darmstadt but really, it's not bad at all. 17 out of 21 points with a new coach is a terrific start. Especially when we're missing CL money to get new players. We've got Castro, Weigl and Januzaj, Bayern can afford Vidal, Costa and Coman, on top of their already crazy good squad.

Everyone expects things of BVB that can't possibly be expected. Instead, we should focus on how disappointing Gladbach, Leverkusen and Wolfsburg (!) are. But nobody expects them to be relevant, anyway.

I understand your point but Dortmund managed not only to win the Bundesliga by a great margin but they also humiliated the "big" rival from south in numerous matches.
on top of that, they managed to reach a cl final in such a short amount of time since those relegation days and with breathtaking football (4:1 against real).
the expectancy of this team where many players still play from the 2011-2013 years is extremely high because of their accomplishments in those last 2-3 years.

Jose saying no one at Chelsea is untouchable. Coming from the man who never rotates even he can't have any belief in saying it.

Chopping and changing your team en masse all the time is a terrible idea.

I (probably more than you) would like him to rotate more but lets not forget this is the team that strolled to the title last season, I don't really have a problem with him sticking to that core of players specifically. Dropping Ivanovic, Hazard and Cesc for example all at once is just a stupid idea and he's a smart man, that will bite him in the arse immediately.

JT has been dropped for Zouma, Willian made way for Pedro, Costa just got suspended (and tbf Falcao/Remy have looked tragic in his place), Oscar has been injured and Courtois is out for 2 months + so Begovic has come in... theres been changes.

The real frustrating thing for me is Ivanovic and Terry, imo JT needs to play ahead of Cahill and Zouma would not have made that mistake if JT was leading the back, despite the fact that Cahill wasn't involved I think we are missing leadership. Ivanovic should have been dropped by now admittedly but Jose thinks Baba isn't ready which... I find it pointless spending £17m on someone and not even put him on the bench.

After the weekend I suspect Ramires and Willian will come in against Porto, its a big away match for us in the CL and I would say again that doing so many changes is a bad idea. He needs to pick out one or two at best and get someone else in.

Perhaps he'd rotate more if the board hadn't fucked up our transfer window, I don't know really, I think the start of the season has been eye opening, though, I don't see Remy or Falcao with us next season (I know its early but... early signs aren't good) perhaps they will spring for another midfielder or play RLC even more.

Fdkn

You can't really rotate the midfield when Ramires and Mikel are still inexplicably on the team. It's been long overdue to get rid of them. And as much as Jose likes trying to resurrect players, Falcao is beyond saving. I don't understand why he accepted the loan at all.

Ivanovic has been terrible this season but he was amazing last year, you can't blame anyone for trusting him. I think he can recover his form and be important again.

You can't really rotate the midfield when Ramires and Mikel are still inexplicably on the team. It's been long overdue to get rid of them. And as much as Jose likes trying to resurrect players, Falcao is beyond saving. I don't understand why he accepted the loan at all.

Ivanovic has been terrible this season but he was amazing last year, you can't blame anyone for trusting him. I think he can recover his form and be important again.

Ramires is actually (imo) reasonably fine, he has a lot of energy/pace, can run fast and move the ball on quickly, but he can be a bit braindead.

People say Mikel has his uses as an "enforcer"... he would have no use if we had someone else to give Matic/Cesc competition and control matches properly. The bigger problem is that one of Mikel and Ramires is ok, a good squad player, but having both is a complete waste of wages and squad space and harms the squad.

Im sure Ivanovic can regain his form but his is causing us a lot of problems down the right and we are conceding a lot of goals that way, he needs to be benched if only to take him out of the firing line. Also Ivanovic at right back harms Azpili's ability to put in crosses on the left so it could benefit us that way too (particularly as Ivanovic is awful at crosses)

bjaelke

Mourinho said:
"I think we would lose every game because the desire to suspend him [Costa] is so big that we wouldn't have players to start the game.

I'm happy to have only one and let him play until they decide to suspend him again."
campaignagainstchelsea.com

I understand your point but Dortmund managed not only to win the Bundesliga by a great margin but they also humiliated the "big" rival from south in numerous matches.
on top of that, they managed to reach a cl final in such a short amount of time since those relegation days and with breathtaking football (4:1 against real).
the expectancy of this team where many players still play from the 2011-2013 years is extremely high because of their accomplishments in those last 2-3 years.

That's just not true.

I'll take the CL final:
Weidenfeller
Piszczek - Subotic - Hummels - Schmelzer
Gündogan - Bender
Großkreutz - Reus - Kuba
Lewandowski

Our team now:
Bürki
Ginter - Sokratis - Hummels - Schmelzer
Weigl - Gündogan
Micky - Kagawa - Reus
Aubameyang

So, only Hummels, Schmelzer, Reus and Gündogan (who wanted to be gone). Okay, Bender, Subotic and Piszczek are also still here but they got considerably worse with all their injuries.

So, only Hummels, Schmelzer, Reus and Gündogan (who wanted to be gone). Okay, Bender, Subotic and Piszczek are also still here but they got considerably worse with all their injuries.

You could also add Kagawa, who effectively just had a 2 year loan. Sahin was on a 3 year loan. Durm and Hofmann (while more on the periphary) are still kicking around too.

More stable than most clubs, for sure.

Meier

Tin is apparently a pretty common Croatian name (or just really popular in Zagreb). I know there's also Tin Jedvaj who came from Dinamo as well.

I see Zenit's playing at the same time as the other CL matches. Is that a new thing this year or was it like this last year as well that Russian and other teams from the far Eastern side of Europe play at the same time as their Western counterparts?

I see Zenit's playing at the same time as the other CL matches. Is that a new thing this year or was it like this last year as well that Russian and other teams from the far Eastern side of Europe play at the same time as their Western counterparts?

Think it depends on the date. CSKA and Zenit are at playing Wolfsburg some hours earlier than the rest in late November.

Gambit

Neuer - Thiago, Lewandowski, Costa, Boateng, Bernat, Götze, Lahm (K), Alaba, Coman, Kimmich

subs: Ulreich - Martínez, Rafinha, Alonso, Müller, Gaudino, Benko

Quite happy to see Kimmich. Wonder how he'll do in the CL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom