• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
That must have been frustrating for arsenal fans. They made it easy for Olympiakos defence, it was so regimented they could have abused the fuck out of that back line but they kept doing the same thing time after time. Entertaining though.

Seriously hope City get back on form tomorrow.

Fdkn

with Chelsea playing so bad, PL teams performance on UCL has no saving grace. United will pass the phase because their group is a joke and Chelsea will pass even in that state, but I don't see much more hope than that.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
That must have been frustrating for arsenal fans. They made it easy for Olympiakos defence, it was so regimented they could have abused the fuck out of that back line but they kept doing the same thing time after time. Entertaining though.

Seriously hope City get back on form tomorrow.

I'm honestly used to it

Sick of it, but used to it

At least we beat Maccabi Tel Aviv..!

Im not too bothered about losing away to Porto although obviously at this point our form is becoming a huge concern

Blablurn

maaaan leverkusen

always choking in the cl

its depressing. i was kinda hoping they developed a lil. i mean they did. but its still a choke. just like against atletico.

MrKaepora

11049561_1597546213618922_1344815304821253131_n.jpg

What has happened to Chelsea?

At least we beat Maccabi Tel Aviv..!

Im not too bothered about losing away to Porto although obviously at this point our form is becoming a huge concern

Fc porto do not concede any goals at home, almost never.
Look back on the last year to two of results, mark lawrenson might say they have terrible defenders and a 'way past his prime' goal keeper but their track record for the last 2 seasons at home is almost flawless.
last team to score against them at home was bayern in last years champions league and they also only scored one goal like chelsea and lost 3-1.
For chelsea to even score once it was impressive.
FC porto are almost a different team when it comes to away games(bayern won the second leg 6-1) but at home they almost unbeatable by anybody, chelsea played badly but people need to give credit to porto.

Turok_TTZ

EPL tactics are strictly that: for EPL only.

Modern footy is played in Bundesliga, La Liga, Ligue 1, and sometimes Serie A and Liga NOS.

Kek at EPL teams. cant keep up with the big boys.

Lewandowski's form is impressive. Perhaps this is Bayern's year should he maintain it?

Rush_Khan

So we concede the stupidest goals to a team that's never won away from home; Koscielny is injured for the Man United game; I wasted £300 on that terrible performance; and the car's parking brake sensor is broken so it's constantly beeping while driving even when the handbrake is off.

Today was alright.

Edit: ok maybe they have won away from home.

Portugeezer

Not like Chelsea had been doing well in the EPL either way.

Still, I expect them to go through this group along with Porto.

Porto looking very good, some defensive hiccups but enough to get the job done today.

Timbuktu

I love watching EPL more than anything else, but it is amazing how far the top teams have fallen in Europe in the last five or so years... from have three teams in the semi to barely getting out of the group stage. This year is mad in the league as well, no big team has any sort of consistency. And you still have people in Europe worried about EPL teams having too much money.

Blablurn

I love watching EPL more than anything else, but it is amazing how far the top teams have fallen in Europe in the last five or so years... from have three teams in the semi to barely getting out of the group stage. This year is mad in the league as well, no big team has any sort of consistency. And you still have people in Europe worried about EPL teams having too much money.

they havent gotten the big money yet

I don't think it really has anything to do with money. The other big leagues have a tendency to err towards technical ability and is a fan preference whereas the Premier League still has an obsession in speed and power with end to end play. Defence is where this is highlighted the most for me, the range of defensive patterns and technical ability in being able to take the ball from attacking players that is encouraged in Europe is fantastic but English clubs don't do well with it as they are use to the big physical defence set on blocking and using strength rather than skill to pick their pocket.

Defensive play is also far better balanced throughout the teams in Europe even when they are attack focused. Watch the difference between an English club and a Spanish/German club and where they will start applying defensive pressure, English teams will usually only really apply pressure once the attack is near the back line (or they will sit in and play 10 men behind the ball), Spanish/German teams start immediately. I think this is why a lot of European defenders take a while to bed into English teams it isn't because of the pace it is because so much is placed on them with little protection where they are use to games being fought in the middle ground.

I have been disappointed that since Man City lost the Juve game they have pretty much stopped the full team defensive pressure that they had at the start of the season especially considering they play such fine high lines and the only protection has been coming from Fernandinho. The problem against Juve wasn't that they weren't attacking enough like pundits said but rather it was because they couldn't finish the chances they created, this is a problem for them in the Premier League as well as the CL it is only highlighted more in the CL as you have teams that will fight back immediately rather than wait to hit on the break so they don't look as dominant. If they could improve their finishing to something like that of Real Madrid last season which was about 20% (if I remember correctly) they would be averaging somewhere around 4 goals per game this season rather than the 1.9 they currently have.

Terrific news: looks like after only 5 played games, Sevilla is obliged to buy Immobile! Looks like we'll get 14m back for him, which is great considering he's fucking shit.

Random but why doesn't Kagawa wear the no.7 this season?
Did he have a say in it going to Hofmann?

Kagawa had the 23 when he played for BVB from 2010 to 2012. When he arrived last year, Ji had taken the 23 but left shortly later, so Kagawa took the 7 or he just wanted the 7, I don't know. Meanwhile Kampl had the 23 for a few months but last summer, the clown was finally allowed to get the 44 by DFL (they normally don't allow shit numbers above 40something) and the 23 was free again.

Hofmann had the 7 before he went on loan. Now I don't know if he asked Kagawa to get the 7 back or Kagawa wanted the 23 and the 7 was free, but I guess they are both cool with it.

BVB will travel to Greece without Kagawa, Aubameyang, Hummels, Sokratis and Gündogan.

I fucking love Tuchel, that's what I'd have done :lol

So probably something like:
Weidenfeller
Piszczek-Ginter-Subotic-Park
Castro-Bender
Januzaj-Reus-Hofmann
Ramos

norinrad

Another year goes by with English teams performing poorly in the CL, and everyone keeps saying the EPL is the best league.

Pretty much, so far it seems like United is the only EPL club that is setup in a European way. I personally think they will beat Wolfs and PSV was just an incident due to Shaw getting out so early. Wenger should just retire. Arsenal is a mentally weak team with players who have been there way too long and think they deserve to play every game despite being shit.

In LvG we trust. ;P

Blablurn

BVB will travel to Greece without Kagawa, Aubameyang, Hummels, Sokratis and Gündogan.

I fucking love Tuchel, that's what I'd have done :lol

So probably something like:
Weidenfeller
Piszczek-Ginter-Subotic-Park
Castro-Bender
Januzaj-Reus-Hofmann
Ramos

Rotation is good

Will make Sunday more interesting

raven777

Manchester United @ManUtd
#mufc XI: De Gea; Valencia, Smalling, Blind, Darmian; Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger; Mata, Rooney, Memphis; Martial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom