• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenebrous

With the current squad, we have far too many players wanting to play up top. If Lallana wants to stay, he needs to produce chances and be creative from the middle, instead of going for the net. I don't know how good he is at central midfield, but I'd rather Can and Henderson there instead.

I saw earlier someone had the idea of having Sturridge on the wing or behind Benteke, he would hate that. Studge does great with a partner, but not by being a winger or striking from behind. One of the reasons he left Chelsea was because he wasn't getting the opportunity to play up front and they kept shoving him out wide.

Coutinho needs to play centrally, which makes the purchase of Firmino really weird. To get the best out of both, they need to play closely together and both play best in a central position. Markovic and Ibe are the only out and out wingers that we have, and Ibe is certainly not an end product, while Markovic is on loan due to Rodgers incompetence.

Klopp will have to figure it out. Either play with two strikers or shuffles the positions around. He could always pull a Real Madrid where despite Ronaldo starting LW, as he advances, Benzema drops back as support. Benteke could always do that with Sturridge. I hope to see some flair and difference by Christmas hopefully.

Best wishes.

Lallana's constant attempt at going for glory is probably a throwback to when there was no striker fit - Maybe even further back to his Southampton days. He's decent feet on him, and I think he'd do well under Klopp in a back 3 if trained to be less selfish and more of a team player.

I agree with that. Sturridge plays centrally or not at all. Having Benteke as backup, or Sturridge as backup, is a better situation than a lot of other clubs find themselves in. Hell, if Martial gets injured, United are stuck with Rooney up top. If Costa gets injured, Chelsea are stuck with Remy (not a bad player, but no Benteke).

Everything I've seen points to Firmino needing to play centrally, while Coutinho can play either side but looks better when playing centrally. Perhaps that's a personnel/training issue in the past - Both are young enough for one of them to adapt to a slightly different role, and honestly I'm pretty excited about them playing together in a few months time. Maybe we'll try and bring Lazar back in Jan.

Beefy

Lallana's constant attempt at going for glory is probably a throwback to when there was no striker fit - Maybe even further back to his Southampton days. He's decent feet on him, and I think he'd do well under Klopp in a back 3 if trained to be less selfish and more of a team player.

When he played for us he wasn't as greedy as he is now. It's like he trying to impress too much. He was our main playmaker so he did have the ball a lot but often knew what to do with it, he just seems to have got worse at Liverpool.

Tenebrous

When he played for us he wasn't as greedy as he is now. It's like he trying to impress too much. He was our main playmaker so he did have the ball a lot but often knew what to do with it, he just seems to have got worse at Liverpool.

Fair enough! He always impressed when I watched Southampton in 13/14, and I was very chuffed when we sign him, but we've not seen £25m yet. Hopefully Klopp can get that out of him.

I think he constantly feels like he has something to prove with the price tag he came with. Really hope it does work out for him here because he's a decent player.

King_Moc

Banned
I think he constantly feels like he has something to prove with the price tag he came with. Really hope it does work out for him here because he's a decent player.

A big move often seems to put a real dent in a players progression, probably due to the pressure. It's a shame that at Liverpool this seems to be the norm.

I agree with that. Sturridge plays centrally or not at all. Having Benteke as backup, or Sturridge as backup, is a better situation than a lot of other clubs find themselves in. Hell, if Martial gets injured, United are stuck with Rooney up top. If Costa gets injured, Chelsea are stuck with Remy (not a bad player, but no Benteke).

Everything I've seen points to Firmino needing to play centrally, while Coutinho can play either side but looks better when playing centrally. Perhaps that's a personnel/training issue in the past - Both are young enough for one of them to adapt to a slightly different role, and honestly I'm pretty excited about them playing together in a few months time. Maybe we'll try and bring Lazar back in Jan.

Lallana doesn't instill me with confidence with the way he plays up top though. He scores every now and then on a blue moon but he isn't dependable as a player up top. He was a creative player at Southampton so I have no clue what Rodgers tried to do with him. Rodgers needed to bring in an outfield player but Lallana has said it himself that he prefers playing centrally, which is something Coutinho was already a pro at doing. Still burns he got Lallana for nearly double the asking price of Shaqiri.

Firmino and Coutinho playing centrally would be amazing, I hope Klopp manages to find a cool system as he would say, that incorporates them both. Markovic was always very patchy with loads of potential during his Benfica days so the staff need to act fast before he's wasted completely. I firmly believe a player like him can absolutely shine under Klopp, could become as good as Aubameyang with that speed of his.

Honestly, we have the players to put in goals and be dominant up front. It's really the defense and midfield that needs work. A defensive midfielder is absolutely needed, and Klopp needs to turn that goofball Lovren's career around or get Subotic in. At least Sakho won't be constantly ignored anymore in favor of worse defenders.

Best wishes.

Poland has been playing extremely conservatively when taking a lead in games. Start matches all guns blazing, take a lead, watch that lead evaporate. They better just go for the win tonight and not play the draw.

Don't see how you can trust anyone who is already in a senior position of power at FIFA or UEFA (not to mention certain other continental bodies and individual FAs within) to not be corrupt at this point

AcridMeat

Banned
Yessss Hungary! Beautiful dicing play through the defense. 3-2. I don't remember if they have a chance to qualify still or not, but this game is entertaining.

edit: Shit just like that, 3-3.

4-3 Greece oh boy D:

Gothos

Great goal by Lewa, but we CANNOT lose the second one. I'll be more confident after we score the third. Nerve wracking game so far + it's almost fucking rugby, lol...

Tenebrous

Lewandowski scoring a goal is going to be the third guarantee in life. Death, taxes, and now him.

Lallana doesn't instill me with confidence with the way he plays up top though. He scores every now and then on a blue moon but he isn't dependable as a player up top. He was a creative player at Southampton so I have no clue what Rodgers tried to do with him. Rodgers needed to bring in an outfield player but Lallana has said it himself that he prefers playing centrally, which is something Coutinho was already a pro at doing. Still burns he got Lallana for nearly double the asking price of Shaqiri.

Firmino and Coutinho playing centrally would be amazing, I hope Klopp manages to find a cool system as he would say, that incorporates them both. Markovic was always very patchy with loads of potential during his Benfica days so the staff need to act fast before he's wasted completely. I firmly believe a player like him can absolutely shine under Klopp, could become as good as Aubameyang with that speed of his.

Honestly, we have the players to put in goals and be dominant up front. It's really the defense and midfield that needs work. A defensive midfielder is absolutely needed, and Klopp needs to turn that goofball Lovren's career around or get Subotic in. At least Sakho won't be constantly ignored anymore in favor of worse defenders.

Best wishes.

I don't disagree with anything you say, really. I think we've a lot of exciting years ahead with Klopp at the helmm, but we do need to upgrade the squad in certain places.

Defensively, I'm happy with Clyne & Sakho, and kinda happy with Gomez, Moreno & Skrtel. Skrtel needs upgrading due to his age, but will do for another year if need be.

Lucas is definitely a player we should be looking to upgrade, though. Replace him with a top tier CDM and our squad looks stronger in every other area of the field, too. Our defence will be more confident, and our forwards will receive more support & stronger balls.

Gothos

FUCK. YEAH! Absolutely fantastic, hugely emotional game with happy end. Yes, yes, yes! Lewa going for that Golden Ball in 2016 :)

TeddyBoy

Congratulations to everyone to qualified and commiserations to everyone who didn't quite make it :)

I just finished watching Klopps first interview at LFC (link here), he comes across a little crazy at parts but a loveable kind of crazy :p

I really enjoyed the end of the interview, Klopp talks about how Liverpool fans talk about their history so much and always look at the past. How they only look at the present with pessimism and doubt, you can tell he's really looking forward to putting that right :)

Lunar FC

Congratulations to everyone to qualified and commiserations to everyone who didn't quite make it :)

I just finished watching Klopps first interview at LFC (link here), he comes across a little crazy at parts but a loveable kind of crazy :p

I really enjoyed the end of the interview, Klopp talks about how Liverpool fans talk about their history so much and always look at the past. How they only look at the present with pessimism and doubt, you can tell he's really looking forward to putting that right :)

Thanks, I've been wanting to see this interview. But they love locking things behind LFCTV. You've got to be a little crazy to want to manage a premier league club.

Tenebrous

Did you watch his first press conference already? If not, you can watch it here.

We can only hope now to get best 3rd, but don't think that will happen in the end. We really should have taken this in our own hands.

Actually I think there's a good chance Hungary will go through as the best 3rd place team. In order for Hungary to not be the best 3rd place team either one of two things need to happen:

Both Slovakia and Ukraine win tomorrow bumping you to down to second best as both teams would have 16 points to Hungary's 15. Unless Ukraine pulls an Ireland on Spain tomorrow, this is unlikely to happen however.
Both Turkey and Kazakhstan win on tuesday. Kazakhstan would place 5th in the group ahead of Latvia and a Turkish win would give Turkey just enough points to qualify directly ahead of Hungary.

Blablurn

CRHycGAWgAAzCVt.png:large

bunch of m8s

What's happening at Gladbach right now?

Herrmann and Schulz both out with an ACL injury in less than a week, with no proper match played. Crazy stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom