• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, just listened to some Liverpool podcast (TLW?) discussing the Rodgers termination / Klopp hire. Standard fan venting stuff, some ridiculous opinions about how because he managed to beat 'top' teams with Reading/Swansea,, Rodgers showed he should have been given full control over the entire club. Apparently this fellow forgot that Rodgers won an amazing 1 game in 18 against the 'top' clubs during his time at Liverpool.

But the oddest comment was about how Liverpool's transfer system was working.

Is it true that Liverpool were actually buying a Rodgers player and a 'Committee' player? That's how the club ended up with Benteke and Firmino, Markovic and Lallana, Lovren and Sakho? And that's why certain players weren't able to get games, or when they did play, it was out position?

So, just listened to some Liverpool podcast (TLW?) discussing the Rodgers termination / Klopp hire. Standard fan venting stuff, some ridiculous opinions about how because he managed to beat 'top' teams with Reading/Swansea,, Rodgers showed he should have been given full control over the entire club. Apparently this fellow forgot that Rodgers won an amazing 1 game in 18 against the 'top' clubs during his time at Liverpool.

Is it true that Liverpool were actually buying a Rodgers player and a 'Committee' player? That's how the club ended up with Benteke and Firmino, Markovic and Lallana, Lovren and Sakho? And that's why certain players weren't able to get games, or when they did play, it was out position?

Can't speak to the latter, though if you look hard enough you can kind of spot a Rodgers signing, or a Committee signing, which does a lot to explain our lack of identity. And why Sakho struggled to get a game ahead of Lovren

However, we beat City twice at home, Arsenal once at least, and Man Utd twice (though that was in the Moyes days)

If you consider it to be City, Arsenal and Chelsea, it's 3 wins in 18, which obviously still isn't anywhere near good enough, but its correct. 3 in 19 including this season.

More time for his real profession.

ahc3evgyllyu.gif

I wonder what Klopp will do with players like Markovic, Joao Teixeira, Tiago Ilori, Samed Yesil, Allan Rodrigues de Souza, Sheyi Ojo and Sergi Canos. They are talented youngsters that shouldn't be sold and shold be given chances in EL and cup games.

norinrad

Great appointment for Sunderland, but damn, if I were Sam, I'd have stayed semi-retired.

Pretty much this. I guess the pound and being in the EPL was too attractive. He could have just stayed away and done the usual MOTD and write a few columns here and there. Its not like he needs the money.

Its perfect for Allerdyce really

He'll be getting paid a lot. If he wants to, he can be there for a while with the right backing. If it goes wrong, he can just take the payday and retire.

Kuros

The stuff about the transfer horse trading appears to be true. Tony Barrett (Times Journo, has good sources at the club, probably Ian Ayre) mentions it here.

https://audioboom.com/boos/3655867-rodgers-failings-klopp-in-lewandowski-s-still-on-fire

Firmino was a TC so Rodgers got Benteke, etc etc. I can't believe it ended up like that and Rodgers should have been sacked much earlier if all that is being said about it is true.

Also interesting to note, Firmino and Benteke were both players Klopp wanted at Dortmund. Makes you wonder how long they have been talking to him.

Kuros

Pretty much this. I guess the pound and being in the EPL was too attractive. He could have just stayed away and done the usual MOTD and write a few columns here and there. Its not like he needs the money.

As i think gets mentioned by journo's all the time, the fat man doesn't feel he ever gets enough credit for his management skills. Keeping the absolute clusterfuck that is Sunderland up this season would be another middle finger to everyone who doesn't give him the respect he thinks he deserves.

Just think, the way things are going this season, we could see a Pulis team and a Fat Sam team relegated. Who will trigger happy chairman go to if the avoid relegation banker managers lose their touch!

I don't like West Brom right now. They don't have the flair of Pulis' Palace, or the intensity of his Stoke. They seem a bit identity-less like us, but with worse individuals.

As i think gets mentioned by journo's all the time, the fat man doesn't feel he ever gets enough credit for his management skills. Keeping the absolute clusterfuck that is Sunderland up this season would be another middle finger to everyone who doesn't give him the respect he thinks he deserves.

Just think, the way things are going this season, we could see a Pulis team and a Fat Sam team relegated. Who will trigger happy chairman go to if the avoid relegation banker managers lose their touch!

Good old 'arry Redknapp, who else?

Agüero and Silva injured, for fuck sake! International breaks are a load of bollocks.

At least there is a while before the 21st and the 25th.

Tenebrous

Agüero and Silva injured, for fuck sake! International breaks are a load of bollocks.

I'd not wish injury on any player, but if neither of them recover before the Liverpool match, I'll be happy.

Love the form Theo's in

Wonder if he'll get out of 2015 uninjured

Yeah he's been great so far this season. Chance at the leagues top scorer if he keeps fit for every game (and Sanchez doesn't keep blitzing them in).

Meier

Wrong one (I think).

That should be the right one (I think).

Same chick, just a new hair color.

Sergio will be out for a month at least. Silva I guess we'll wait and see. His is a sprained ankle so you'd think maybe he could be back in 2 weeks..

Tainted

I really hope Klopp will have a long, successful run at Liverpool, if only for the entertainment it will provide us.

Given time, I think Klopp will def win things at Liverpool....whether or not that is with the current squad remains to be seen. That 13/14 squad is now minus Suarez, Sterling, Gerrard, Agger and an in-form Sturridge....personally I think he will need a couple of decent transfer windows to strengthen and get rid of the deadwood before we start seeing a Klopp-esque team.

Tenebrous

It'll be interesting to see who will be Klopp's preferred forward when everyones fit and firing. Klopp likes to play 4-2-3-1, and neither Benteke or Studge are suited to anything other than a CF role.

It fills me with confidence that Benteke & Firmino were both players he was interested in/wanted while at Dortmund, and hopefully he'll get the best outta Emre, too!

Studge has played on the right before, no?

I can't even define what he was doing when Suarez was here and they were in a 3 together

They'd both pop up all over the place minute to minute, let alone game to game.

I think Sturridge will be fine playing as something of an inside forward with defensive duties, as long as he has the freedom to move into the centre or play on the shoulder when there's room for it. That's the only way I can see it working short of going full on front 2, and I'm not sure Klopp ever did that at Dortmund. Remains to be seen if he'll adapt to the personnel or vica versa though.

With everybody fit I think this would work well under Klopp:
(I'm no Liverpool fan, so probably wrong)

Mignolet
Clyne - Skrtel - Sakho - Moreno
Can - Henderson
Firmino - Sturridge - Coutinho
Benteke

Can covering the defence, Henderson moving into attack with Sturridge pushing up to support Benteke. Might work.

Tenebrous

With everybody fit I think this would work well under Klopp:
(I'm no Liverpool fan, so probably wrong)

Mignolet
Clyne - Skrtel - Sakho - Moreno
Can - Henderson
Firmino - Sturridge - Coutinho
Benteke

Can covering the defence, Henderson moving into attack with Sturridge pushing up to support Benteke. Might work.

Wouldn't be bad at all, but I'd rather have Cou or Firmino in the middle. This will also be make or break for Can. Lucas is too slow to play that role under Klopp, so Can really has a chance to make that position his.

If not, then our top priority transfers should be a GK, RCB (Skrtel is 31), CDM, and a winger.

Something like...

Weidenfeller
Clyne Hummels Sakho Moreno
Bender Henderson
Blacsykowsi Firmino Coutinho
Sturridge

Subs: Mignolet Skrtel Gomez Allen Can Lallana Benteke

Fuck, I hope we don't sign any of those players. Those names are ridiculous!

Tenebrous

Jordan Ibe is really good

He's been hit and miss at senior level, and the hits aren't so good that I'm convinced we shouldn't be looking for a winger if that's what we do go with formation wise.

Add Markovic to my bench from earlier on. Good work rate & can cover both wings. He'll do alright, I reckon.

TeddyBoy

Wouldn't be bad at all, but I'd rather have Cou or Firmino in the middle. This will also be make or break for Can. Lucas is too slow to play that role under Klopp, so Can really has a chance to make that position his.

If not, then our top priority transfers should be a GK, RCB (Skrtel is 31), CDM, and a winger.

Something like...

Weidenfeller
Clyne Hummels Sakho Moreno
Bender Henderson
Blacsykowsi Firmino Coutinho
Sturridge

Subs: Mignolet Skrtel Gomez Allen Can Lallana Benteke

Fuck, I hope we don't sign any of those players. Those names are ridiculous!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom