• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiggyRob

Farewell Premier League. Much, much better off without us in our current state.

Hope Sunderland can claw back Norwich and stay safe. Big result for them today.

I'm torn between wanting Sunderland to stay up for Big Sam's no relegation record (I've always thought he's a good manager ever since his Bolton days), Newcastle (because my girlfriend's a Geordie) and Norwich (because I genuinely think they're better than both Newcastle and Sunderland).

Beefy

Farewell Premier League. Much, much better off without us in our current state.

Hope Sunderland can claw back Norwich and stay safe. Big result for them today.

You need a new owner. Hopefully Villa manage to sort themselves out.

Moobabe

Mikel picks up a booking - his first.

Zabaleta 5 minutes before should pick up a second yellow but Dean bottled it, as usual, giving City the opportunity to sub him.

No consistency.

Moobabe

Zabaleta should have been off 10 minutes ago and of course Mike Dean can't resist a red card for us.

Cahill is the absolute weak in our defence but because he's English the media don't notice it.

Conte has a mega job on in the summer.

Beefy

Zabaleta should have been off 10 minutes ago and of course Mike Dean can't resist a red card for us.

Cahill is the absolute weak in our defence but because he's English the media don't notice it.

Conte has a mega job on in the summer.

Zabaleta was lucky. But that was a clear pen.

Moobabe

Zabaleta was lucky. But that was a clear pen.

It was - but I just don't understand the refereeing.

Did he keep Zaba on because he wanted to keep the game 11v11? Or because he thought that wasn't a yellow card? In either case it's not that he's lucky - it's that it's poor refereeing.

Then 5 minutes later Mikel gets a yellow card.

Then 5 minutes later we get a straight red.

Doesn't paper over another shocking performance. Cahill should be nowhere near this side. Mikel offers nothing - doesn't offer the quality you would expect on the ball, but doesn't have the legs like a Kante to get around in there too.

Who knows - the players need to take a long look at themselves. Shocking.

Empty

weird how courtois who seemed like the obvious next best goalie in the world has dropped off a lot this season

then again he is still young and being a goalie is so mentally challenging, which is why many thrive in their thirties. plus everyone at chelsea has been baffling this year. i refuse to believe someone as obviously ludicrously talented as hazard is actually shit.

It was - but I just don't understand the refereeing.

Did he keep Zaba on because he wanted to keep the game 11v11? Or because he thought that wasn't a yellow card? In either case it's not that he's lucky - it's that it's poor refereeing.

Then 5 minutes later Mikel gets a yellow card.

Then 5 minutes later we get a straight red.

Doesn't paper over another shocking performance. Cahill should be nowhere near this side. Mikel offers nothing - doesn't offer the quality you would expect on the ball, but doesn't have the legs like a Kante to get around in there too.

Who knows - the players need to take a long look at themselves. Shocking.

Typical Mike Dean, can't stand him, seems to want attention. I certainly don't expect the likes of Cahill and Mikel to be around for much longer. Kante's definitely attainable imo, would be such an upgrade. Need Conte here to clean up ASAP.

Moobabe

Typical Mike Dean, can't stand him, seems to want attention. I certainly don't expect the likes of Cahill and Mikel to be around for much longer. Kante's definitely attainable imo, would be such an upgrade.

Yeah - hate him refereeing, regardless of the teams I'm watching.

I've got nothing against the youngsters coming into the side - guys like Loftus-Cheek, Rahman, Kenedy etc - they're supposed to be looking to the guys around them for leadership and inspiration, both of which are sorely lacking from some of the guys.

This starts at the top though; we win the league at a canter last year and Mourinho KNEW we needed to flesh the squad out since we got by on such a small number of players ast year.

But we have a director of football. That role that's been invented by someone, somewhere to give their mate a job in the club. Now our managers can't sign players; our DOF picks and chooses who they think would be a good fit despite never managing so much as a kid's game.

Didn't expect that score after 45mins, I thought Chelsea had noticed something that other teams hadn't so far but they totally ignored it in the second half. Hoping the Madridista scouts didn't spot it.

Beefy

Actually what he said:
CgLxjmtWEAAmFdp.jpg

What would have been better:
CgLYax1WsAER3PO.jpg:large

Yeah - hate him refereeing, regardless of the teams I'm watching.

I've got nothing against the youngsters coming into the side - guys like Loftus-Cheek, Rahman, Kenedy etc - they're supposed to be looking to the guys around them for leadership and inspiration, both of which are sorely lacking from some of the guys.

This starts at the top though; we win the league at a canter last year and Mourinho KNEW we needed to flesh the squad out since we got by on such a small number of players ast year.

But we have a director of football. That role that's been invented by someone, somewhere to give their mate a job in the club. Now our managers can't sign players; our DOF picks and chooses who they think would be a good fit despite never managing so much as a kid's game.

We certainly have range of problems unfortunately. Yep, the whole lack of strengthening last season was just comical, especially as signs of our decline have been there to see since after the 5-0 win at Swansea. All said though I'm actually pretty optimistic about Conte, hopefully he can rejuvenate us as he did with Juve'.

Humidex

3 managers, 3 wins.

AVFC in a season, folks.

(Commiserations to the Villa fans out there, hope to see you back in the 1st Division in a couple of seasons time)

They were doomed the moment they hired Tim Sherwood. I said to my Brother, an Aston Villa fan, that they would be relegated in his first full season, and it proved to be the case. I know he wasn't helped with the sales of Delph and Benteke, but he is such an inept fool. I honestly couldn't understand why a team as big as Villa would even hire such a man.

As an Ipswich fan I'd obviously like Norwich to follow Villa down, but I don't think they will. And if they do go down, we'd only lose to them twice again and do I really want that?

Blackhead

Redarse
How have I only just heard Ray Hudson's commentating. Total and utter bollocks but piss funny.

:? You wouldn't feel that way after listening to him for a whole season. I wouldn't mind him so much if they saved his shtick for highlight reels but I can longer listen to him blather on hyperbolically about throw-ins and miskicks for 90 minutes with tearing my hair out.

Coach

Question for those smarter than myself...

Is Swansea safe? I know they got to the 40 point mark which seems to mean safety, but losing to Newcastle is unsettling.

They finish with Leicester, Liverpool, West Ham, and Man City. I can't see them getting any points out of those games.

They are 9 up on Norwich, 10 up on Sunderland and 12 up on Newcastle. Sunderland and Newcastle each have 5 left to play.

Will Swansea survive?

Blackhead

Redarse
Question for those smarter than myself...

Is Swansea safe? I know they got to the 40 point mark which seems to mean safety, but losing to Newcastle is unsettling.

They finish with Leicester, Liverpool, West Ham, and Man City. I can't see them getting any points out of those games.

They are 9 up on Norwich, 10 up on Sunderland and 12 up on Newcastle. Sunderland and Newcastle each have 5 left to play.

Will Swansea survive?

Yes, Swansea are safe.
Newcastle's fixture list is tough (man city, Liverpool and Spurs in that five) and Sunderlands is not much better (arsenal, Liverpool). Very unlikely that two out the three will win all their games to leapfrog Swansea.

Blablurn

Its incredible what kind of leader Vidal has become. Brilliant in the offense and in the defense. He can truly be this years Martinez of 2013. Schalke defended well but its obvious that you can take bayern out of the game for 90 minutes.

Jack cw

Its incredible what kind of leader Vidal has become. Brilliant in the offense and in the defense. He can truly be this years Martinez of 2013. Schalke defended well but its obvious that you can take bayern out of the game for 90 minutes.
Same about our 33 year Ribery who is better than ever. Team is great and Pep learned to play more defensively in order to get the results. All in is nice and all but after the last two CL semis I like this smarter approach more, even though it's not that spectacular.

Gambit

Same about our 33 year Ribery who is better than ever. Team is great and Pep learned to play more defensively in order to get the results. All in is nice and all but after the last two CL semis I like this smarter approach more, even though it's not that spectacular.

I think his more defensive approach is just a means of coping with a Alaba/Kimmich duo. The whole team helps them. With Boateng/Martinez they might go gung-ho again, unless he realises by then that this approach is smart.

24hr

Liverpool vs Bournemouth - draw
Leicester vs West Ham - draw
Arsenal vs Crystal Palace - Arsenal win

Worth a bet?

Liverpool vs Bournemouth - draw
Leicester vs West Ham - draw
Arsenal vs Crystal Palace - Arsenal win

Worth a bet?

If it is silly odds and only a few pound sure. I'd put my money on Liverpool and Leicester but I'm guessing there wouldn't be much of a payout for them. I can never tell with Arsenal though you would expect them to walk over the Palace especially at home given their record against them but there is always that chance, I have watched too many of their games where they look dominant then it all goes wrong.

24hr

If it is silly odds and only a few pound sure. I'd put my money on Liverpool and Leicester but I'm guessing there wouldn't be much of a payout for them. I can never tell with Arsenal though you would expect them to walk over the Palace especially at home given their record against them but there is always that chance, I have watched too many of their games where they look dominant then it all goes wrong.

Can't see Liverpool winning so it would be either a draw or a win for Bournemouth. West Ham will knick a win. And Arsenal? I'm a gooner so I know all too well about dominating the game and then falling apart but we usually finish the season on a strong so hopefully we will get 3 points.

-MB-

It is about time De Boer is gettinh the boot, outstayed his welcome imho.
And if the club still does not wanna spend a dime of that big cash pile, then the top needs to go too.
It is clear their youth are in shambles and cannot be relied upon solely anymore.

Beefy

It is about time De Boer is gettign the boot, outstayed his welcome imho.
And if the club still does not wanna spend a dime of that big cash pile, then the top needs to go too.
It is clear their youth are in shambles and cannot be relied upon solely anymore.

Is Bazoer off to Man City?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom