• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

I liked how positive the Iheanacho sub was and I appreciated Pellers giving him a real shot, but it left us far too stretched in the midfield. Sterling was the right move at that point in the game or even possibly Kolarov if he felt like Raheem couldn't do a full 60 minutes or so.

A shame about that shit touch by Sterling there at the end.. looked a real chance. Happy with the no away goals though either way. Ecstatic even.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Still need criminal charges to be made. This is a big step though, the years of lies are unforgiveable.

I believe this means criminal charges can now be made right? It's a great step, I still can't believe it's taken this long. Power of the media and all that I guess.

Didn't see City v Madrid tonight but I'm guessing from what I can see I missed little. Don't fancy City's chances to win at Bernabau but then again I didn't think they'd take PSG so you never know...

I wouldn't fancy going to Madrid with Real needing to score. Just ask Wolfsburg.

Well if a team isn't prepared to take on Real Madrid in the second leg of a Champions League then they have no right being there in the semi's. You go, have a game plan, bring your A game and don't give up until the final whistle. The footballing gods are a fickle bunch and the winds can blow any way.

The second leg is where all games are won, if you can go into the game winning great but that doesn't really mean that much. You just don't want to go in at a real disadvantage especially if playing away from home.

Jack cw

Alexis Sanchez would be a needed as CAM or winger, basically what di Maria plays at PSG. I like what our Board plans, Sportbild also writes today in their print issue that we make a move for Carvajal and Bellerin if Real rejects.

GHG

Bayern have made discreet enquiries about whether Arsenal would be prepared to sell Alexis Sanchez this summer

So discreet.

Can you take Walcott please? I will let anyone have Sanchez this summer if they also take Walcott, Flamini and Wenger as part of the deal.

Cappa

Banned
Is James fit? ESPN FC guys mentioned the other day after the Rayo game that Zizou complained he was out of shape.

I'm unsure really. Locally he's been known to party but so does majority of real Madrid squad so that isn't the issue.

I think him speaking out in public complaining about lack of plating time etc has hurt him more than anything. Yesterday with the game the way it was absolutely no reason why you don't make the switch to bring in james and Isco and give them both minimum 15-20 minutes to do something.

bjaelke

Guess we'll be signing a new defender this Summer.

James Pearce @JamesPearceEcho

Mamadou Sakho has not requested for his B sample to be tested. Has accepted UEFA's findings that he failed drugs test. #LFC

UEFA said he can play tomorrow as no disciplinary proceedings haven't begun. Still it's good for the integrity of the game Liverpool pulled him out once the test came back positive. Going by what has come out it seems he more naivety rather than a conscience effort to gain an advantage. I think he'll get a ban similar to what Rio Ferdinand got in 2004 which was 6 months.

GHG

UEFA said he can play tomorrow as no disciplinary proceedings haven't begun. Still it's good for the integrity of the game Liverpool pulled him out once the test came back positive. Going by what has come out it seems he more naivety rather than a conscience effort to gain an advantage. I think he'll get a ban similar to what Rio Ferdinand got in 2004 which was 6 months.

Rio deliberately missed his drugs test but was never found to be positive wasn't he? I also think he got longer than 6 months and it was a domestic (FA) test rather than a UEFA one.

UEFA are much harsher when it comes to dishing out punishment for people who fail drugs tests. One of Dynamo Zagreb's players got a 4 year ban after testing positive earlier this season.

King_Moc

Banned
Rio deliberately missed his drugs test but was never found to be positive wasn't he? I also think he got longer than 6 months and it was a domestic (FA) test rather than a UEFA one.

UEFA are much harsher when it comes to dishing out punishment for people who fail drugs tests. One of Dynamo Zagreb's players got a 4 year ban after testing positive earlier this season.

Arijan Ademi was caught taking anabolic steroids though. I can't see them giving the same ban if this really is a fat burner (whatever the hell they even are).

Clegg

Aguero is a big game bottler.

All City have ever really needed to do is give him the tools. Put the ball in the Sergio zone. He will hunt you down. He will kill you.

Except this hasn’t happened in the bigger games this season. The bald facts are these: Agüero has one goal in 11 games against the combined might of Juventus, Tottenham Hotspur, Arsenal, Leicester, Manchester United, Paris Saint-Germain and Madrid.

He was far too deep for the majority of the match last night, city hardly got the ball in the box though tbf

Plus Pepe pretty much had him in his pocket all night. He was always the correct side, intercepted many a pass and Modric did a great job of preventing a lot of balls even coming his way.

I always wonder why teams that have a clear goal scorer when teams are going sit in still try to play through them. They are more than covered so basically use them to break up defensive structures and let somebody unexpected go for goal.

Meier

He was far too deep for the majority of the match last night, city hardly got the ball in the box though tbf

We have missed Nasri's ability to break down defenses quite a bit this season. He was one of those luxury players that you didn't quite fully appreciate until he wasn't available. Sometimes you can't be quite as direct as guys like Navas 'specialize' in.

Lttp, but what do you guys think were the main factors for Atleti winning against Barca?

1) Ridiculously resolute at keeping the shape in their defense. Nobody in that team wanders even a yard out of position when they're not in possession. Simeone has made them the best pure defense I've ever seen. They force teams to play low-percentage passes/crosses into a flooded box, and almost always show more desire than the opposition to get on the end of said pass/cross
2) Barca having a post-Clasico meltdown, collective loss of confidence. Laudrup said after the Clasico that no matter how good Barca look before the match, the club has a mentality that brings about all kinds of self-doubt when they lose to Madrid.
3) Barca's small squad and number of games played catching up with them.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Skysports are baiting me with their headlines making me think Pochettino is bound for PSG.

Obviously this is not the case, but come on mate, I've just recovered from the pain of Monday night football.

Looking at some of the summer targets is making me happy I must say, and with the Euros I'll not be without sport to keep me company when I'm forced away from uni until September.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom