• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats Atlético, you did well.
Bayern's pride might help them go through but their regular starters are not currently better than the ones from Atlético. It might go either way. And I start believing Bayern will fuck this one up. That is unless Pep has the resources to mobilize everyone again.

Jack cw

Congrats Atlético, you did well.
Bayern's pride might help them go through but their regular starters are not currently better than the ones from Atlético. It might go either way. And I start believing Bayern will fuck this one up. That is unless Pep has the resources to mobilize everyone again.
We are done. Without an away goal we will fail. The third away semi where we couldn't score...
Yes, he made us more versatile but we don't stand a chance against our opponents three years in a row.

la_briola

But I hope Thiago's season is over. Man, what an awful display. He's been consistently shit for the last few weeks. Not that he was the only one, mind.

I am almost at the stage where I wish for Lahm in midfield again. Rafinha as RB can't be worse than what Thiago-Alonso do in midfield. Götze can certainly take over for this current Thiago.

Pep needs to field Rode in every game. If not: wasted at Bayern, hope he gets loaned out to a club that values him.

Maybe Ancelotti wants to use him, who knows.

Jack cw

Lol Rode...he is going to Wolfsburg.
We need Müller in, Thiago out, and Costa as CAM, Ribery on the left. Benatia in, bernat out. Problem solved but Pep surley finds another experiment he could try. Time for Carletto and matchplans that work.

la_briola

Lol Rode...he is going to Wolfsburg.
We need Müller in, Thiago out, and Costa as CAM, Ribery on the left. Benatia in, bernat out. Problem solved but Pep surley finds another experiment he could try. Time for Carletto and matchplans that work.
Wolfsburg? No one deserves that. Neverkusen or Dortmund would be good, or even Gladbach.

It's Boateng. Mit Boateng steht und fällt alles. War immer so.
Yep, defence is arse without him -- the Thiago/Alonso combo was still shite.

Jack cw

Wolfsburg? No one deserves that. Neverkusen or Dortmund would be good, or even Gladbach.

Yep, defence is arse without him -- the Thiago/Alonso combo was still shite.
Talk is that Rode is ignored by Ancelotti and Bayern and Wolfsburg are close to agree with Rode. They pay him the most.
Yeah, it's remarkable how far we came with that defence but without Boateng we never had won anything, even with robbens goals.

Ruhrnachrichten says BVB and Rennes agreed a deal on Dembele.

I'm still waiting for the definite announcement before I get excited, though.

It's Boateng. Mit Boateng steht und fällt alles. War immer so.

I don't agree. When you won the CL, it was Martinez who played a mean DM and killed so many attacks in the making. It was frustrating to watch. But it was also necessary because your other CB was Dante who nearly got sent off in the final and would have probably lost it if more attacks came his way. Martinez was definitely the standout player in your defense. Obviously, Boateng is now more important but that's because he got better since and Pep doesn't really play Martinez as DM (and he was injured for a year, too).

Beyond the hyperbole woe and negativity of BayernGAF I thought they played pretty damn well and very unfortunate not to get something out of the game as Oblak made some fantastic saves. Atletico were the team that nobody wanted to get and the performance indicated why. Alaba was very unlucky not to score and what a goal that would have been, but Bayern are still well in this, Atletico aren't as good away from home and they can definitely be had. Saying that if I can't see City with the cup then Atletico are the team I want to win it.

Syder

Sahko's just been suspended for 30 days by UEFA while investigations are ongoing.
How long will Sakho's ban be if he's found to be guilty? Ferdinand got an 8 month ban for missing a drugs test even though testing the following day showed him to be completely clean.

Gambit

Kicker says Pep wants to take Thiago with him and Ancelotti wants Pjanic at Bayern.

RIP Ilkay

Kicker knows nothing about Bayern since Pep took over, but after last night I would not mind at all.

We need a new midfield anyway.

I want Kroos back...

I'd be very happy if Ilkay stayed with you.

Beefy

And if they work (surely they don't?), why the hell wasn't I informed. Losing weight is hard.

Speed up your metabolism and curbs your appetite. They work, but you have to eat right and exercise as well. But that is what most people don't get. Most just pop them and think they work by being lazy bastards.

Meier

Kind of interesting that BVB posted about it publicly. I guess they're trying to draw Bayern's hand, but even still, usually that stuff happens behind closed doors and the press just leaks it.

bjaelke

Tony Barrett @TonyBarretTimes

A Premier League tribunal has ordered Liverpool to pay Burnley up to £8m for Danny Ings. An initial £6.5m fee plus £1.5m in add ons.

nJF2NSg.gif

Kind of interesting that BVB posted about it publicly. I guess they're trying to draw Bayern's hand, but even still, usually that stuff happens behind closed doors and the press just leaks it.
We have to post such news publicly if it is expected to have a significant impact on our share price. And Hummels wanting to leave certainly is. So no ulterior motive, just capital market laws.

Gambit

Sorry to Milch, Penny etc. Although it makes sense for many reasons, I really think we should not have bought Hummels. If he was playing anywhere else, sure, but not like this.

I think it's because they are publicly traded. Apparently they have to announce these things.

But I imagine it actually means the deal is done. How could Hummels play another season in front of the BVB fans?

I'm happy with 8 million for Ings. Considering what players in the Premier League go for, and I thought he started quite promising before his injury.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Ings cost more than Vardy, Mahrez and Kanté put together.

although he did cost like 1/4 of Benteke

swings and roundabouts.

Sorry to Milch, Penny etc. Although it makes sense for many reasons, I really think we should not have bought Hummels. If he was playing anywhere else, sure, but not like this.

Well, actually, I don't even care that much that he leaves for Bayern. It makes sense with his whole family and many friends living there and all that. However, the way the move happened makes me really disappointed.

He could have made an easy exit last year. He failed as captain, Klopp left and everyone agreed that we need a new start. Bayern was miles away from us and while most people obviously wouldn't have liked to see him go to Bayern, it would have been okay after such a shitty season. Also, Hummels had two average seasons and we would have gotten a nice sum. He had great years with us and it was a good time to part, just like Klopp.

However, he stayed. Actually did good as captain, played constantly well again and Tuchel showed to be a great coach. We played a brilliant Bundesliga season (which could still become the best in club history) and minmized the gap to Bayern, all while having to cope with a difficult EL schedule. Leaving now just feels wrong and backstabbing. Even more so, when you look at the way he made it such a big topic just weeks before the cup final without a proper reason. That interview after the Hertha match, his dad's interviews, etc. Hummels very well knows what happened after the Götze announcement, this is just a big shock to the whole club and with that, he basically single-handedly killed the rest of our season. Who really doubts that Bayern will win the cup now? He should have just waited until after the cup final with that kind of shit. With Götze, you at least could still make the point he was young and Bayern put him under pressure with the "either now or never" stuff. With Hummels, there's no good excuse. It's sad because instead of being remembered as one of the most important players in the Klopp era, he'll just be remembered as the worst captain BVB ever had.

Jack cw

Well, actually, I don't even care that much that he leaves for Bayern. It makes sense with his whole family and many friends living there and all that. However, the way the move happened makes me really disappointed.

He could have made an easy exit last year. He failed as captain, Klopp left and everyone agreed that we need a new start. Bayern was miles away from us and while most people obviously wouldn't have liked to see him go to Bayern, it would have been okay after such a shitty season. Also, Hummels had two average seasons and we would have gotten a nice sum. He had great years with us and it was a good time to part, just like Klopp.

However, he stayed. Actually did good as captain, played constantly well again and Tuchel showed to be a great coach. We played a brilliant Bundesliga season (which could still become the best in club history) and minmized the gap to Bayern, all while having to cope with a difficult EL schedule. Leaving now just feels wrong and backstabbing. Even more so, when you look at the way he made it such a big topic just weeks before the cup final without a proper reason. That interview after the Hertha match, his dad's interviews, etc. Hummels very well knows what happened after the Götze announcement, this is just a big shock to the whole club and with that, he basically single-handedly killed the rest of our season. Who really doubts that Bayern will win the cup now? He should have just waited until after the cup final with that kind of shit. With Götze, you at least could still make the point he was young and Bayern put him under pressure with the "either now or never" stuff. With Hummels, there's no good excuse. It's sad because instead of being remembered as one of the most important players in the Klopp era, he'll just be remembered as the worst captain BVB ever had.
Great Post. Totally agree with this, the way this whole affair was handled by the player was beyond shitty.

So what changed his mind? Because the way this whole ordeal went down it doesn't seem as if Bayern were actively trying to sign him, but rather him trying to join them.

Two major factors only: He got married and he got a new coach. I promise you, a year or two after his transfer a Ruhrnachrichten inside report will reveal he had issues with Tuchel. He doesn't seem like the easiest guy to get along with.

DerZuhälter;202138239 said:
So what changed his mind? Because the way this whole ordeal went down it doesn't seem as if Bayern were actively trying to sign him, but rather him trying to join them.

Two major factors only: He got married and he got a new coach. I promise you, a year or two after his transfer a Ruhrnachrichten inside report will reveal he had issues with Tuchel. He doesn't seem like the easiest guy to get along with.
Yeah, why would we start badmouthing Tuchel now? Tuchel helped him become a better captain, Hummels even said that. Too much speculation, maybe he always wanted back to Bayern and Kloppo was the only thing that kept him at Dortmund for so long. Maybe he feels like our current team aren't his mates, anymore. Hell, for all we know he could have knocked Cathy up by accident and she refuses to leave Munich.

Anyway, what's more important is: who'll be our Hummels replacement?

Is Mustafi actually any good? Is Tah already too much of a Leverkusener? Can we #FreeRüdiger and bring him back? Is there someone good we could steal from Gladbach?

Much more interesting than to wonder why Hummels acts like such a cunt.

Meier

Is Mustafi actually any good? Is Tah already too much of a Leverkusener? Can we #FreeRüdiger and bring him back? Is there someone good we could steal from Gladbach?

I know he's missed a lot of games due to injury this season but it'd be awesome if John Brooks could make a step up this summer. Hertha are punching above their weight this season but it looks like they'll probably miss out on the CL. Perhaps if Tah or one of those types of players does go to BVB he could be a replacement for them.

Knoche from Wolfsburg might be a target. Only has a year left, got rotated out of the first team this year and is still young. Süle is another prospect but I honestly can't rate his performance properly.
Tah would be amazing but his contract runs till 2020.
Toprak would be the expensive option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom