• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

If I were a football professional I'd hire an agent who looked out for my financial interests too to be honest. I'd probably rip teams off worse than Donnarumma. Shit like loyalty is brainwashing.

DBT85

Yeah, he would be stuck only making 150k a week for the length of the contract, bunch of pricks Milan are.

Contacts are there to be signed or not signed. If a player doesn't want to sign it he doesn't have to. Generally the deal gets sweetened. If it were a 60m clause he might well sign it and it would still be a great deal.

Very good signing. He may or may not adapt to the PL but at 5mil that's basically a free transfer these days.

It's like the first 35-40 minutes of Evertons first televised game. lol

Crazy cheap.

cromofo

This must be the most proactive I have seen Everton in a long time. I don't ever remember when there were as active as this in a transfer window.

I'm surprised too. This is not the Everton I know.

But, we have the funds, we have the manager and we have Steve Walsh. We're looking to rattle the top 6 next season. This summer is crucial, now or never.

The youngsters are coming through as well, 5 Everton youngsters were in the U20 World Cup winning squad.

Very good signing. He may or may not adapt to the PL but at 5mil that's basically a free transfer these days.

It's a win-win situation. If a flop, we can still get 5m or even more for him, if he does well he'll be worth 20m at least. (imo he is currently worth around 15-20mil)

DCiLEtgXUAE1MdS.jpg

Messi's restuarant bill in Ibiza.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
If I were a football professional I'd hire an agent who looked out for my financial interests too to be honest. I'd probably rip teams off worse than Donnarumma. Shit like loyalty is brainwashing.

Things have changed. I'm reading Tony Adams' autobiography, in which he claims he always signed whatever contract George Graham put in front of him, and if he ever asked a question about it, Graham would say "do you think I'm paying the others more than you're getting?" Of course, Graham was later sacked for accepting bungs, so.

DBT85

Things have changed. I'm reading Tony Adams' autobiography, in which he claims he always signed whatever contract George Graham put in front of him, and if he ever asked a question about it, Graham would say "do you think I'm paying the others more than you're getting?" Of course, Graham was later sacked for accepting bungs, so.

At one point Adams also had a clause in his contract making him at least have parity. Seaman mentioned it in an interview where he wanted more money and the next day Adams thanks him for the payrise.

The kind of loyalty from Adams, Giggs, Scholes, Le Tiss etc is largely gone purely because of the numbers involved I think. A player has to love the club and be good enough for the club AND never have issues with management to never move on.

Guileless

The kind of loyalty from Adams, Giggs, Scholes, Le Tiss etc is largely gone purely because of the numbers involved I think. A player has to love the club and be good enough for the club AND never have issues with management to never move on.

You're right. It's amazing reading this book, it was only 20 years ago, but it's like he's describing a different world in a sci fi book. Adams played a testimonial match after 10 years with Arsenal, which was a thing back then, because players needed the money. They took Cup matches really seriously and had special rules about training before cup ties. The players got handed beers in the locker room after games. Everything has changed since the mid to late 90s.

DBT85

You're right. It's amazing reading this book, it was only 20 years ago, but it's like he's describing a different world in a sci fi book. Adams played a testimonial match after 10 years with Arsenal, which was a thing back then, because players needed the money. They took Cup matches really seriously and had special rules about training before cup ties. The players got handed beers in the locker room after games. Everything has changed since the mid to late 90s.

Yeah, everything changed very fast when Wenger came in tbh. He was quite shocked at the general culture in English football as a whole.

Even back then he donated half of the gate receipts to charity.

The PL Legends series is quite good this is the Adams episode
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4nljts

He also got subbed 1 minute from the end, not after 6 minutes like his shirt number. lol

At one point Adams also had a clause in his contract making him at least have parity. Seaman mentioned it in an interview where he wanted more money and the next day Adams thanks him for the payrise.

I would think the opposite with the money involved nowadays. What does it matter if you earn 100k p/w or 200k p/w?

GHG

New proposed rule changes for football:

A proposal to scrap 45-minute halves is to be looked at by football's lawmakers to deter time-wasting.

Instead, there could be two periods of 30 minutes with the clock stopped whenever the ball goes out of play.

Lawmaking body the International Football Association Board (Ifab) says matches only see about 60 minutes of "effective playing time" out of 90.

The idea is one of several put forward in a new strategy document designed to address football's "negativities".

Another proposal would see players not being allowed to follow up and score if a penalty is saved - if the spot-kick "is not successful", play would stop and a goal-kick awarded.

Other ideas include a stadium clock linked to a referee's watch and a new rule allowing players to effectively pass to themselves or dribble the ball when taking a free-kick.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40311889

I don't like any of those ideas. The penalty one especially seems terrible.

Syder

I'd rather halves stay 45 minutes but time is stopped when there are breaks in play.

30 minute halves would be so exploitable.

NHale

I'd rather halves stay 45 minutes but time is stopped when there are breaks in play.

30 minute halves would be so exploitable.

I also don't like the 30 minutes halves but I would see no problem with 40 minutes with time stopped or 45 minutes with time stopped in the last 30 minutes of the game.

Guileless

Jonathan Northcroft: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is set to spark a transfer scramble by telling Arsenal he is ready to move on after six years at the club. The England international has been weighing up his future while on holiday and his inclination is that a move would be best if he is to deliver on his rich potential. Oxlade-Chamberlain, 23, is a key target for Liverpool, where Jurgen Klopp is a confirmed admirer of his energy, explosiveness and ability to perform a variety of attacking roles.

Chelsea also covet him and Manchester City are keeping abreast of his situation, as he mulls over the most important decision of his career. Having joined Arsenal in 2011, Oxlade-Chamberlain, inset, has won 29 caps and three FA Cups but never quite gained the full trust of Arsène Wenger. In his time at his club he has not played 90 minutes more than five times in a row and has found himself shifted between several positions.

The PL Legends series is quite good this is the Adams episode
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4nljts

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed that.

Guileless

Verratti wants out of Paris.

Most likely destination being Barça or Bayern I'm guessing.

If he goes, it will be Barcelona, Ancelotti just broke the Bundesliga transfer record buying Corentin Tolisso to replace Xabi Alonso in midfield. But PSG won't like this going on while they are theoretically trying to impress Ronaldo.

New proposed rule changes for football:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40311889

I don't like any of those ideas. The penalty one especially seems terrible.

Honestly don't mind most of them.

Injury time is a joke and inconsistent and stopping the watch would be great to combat that, making it visible for all to see addresses the complaints against the ref like in that Everton game where they lost after allocated injury time. Many games have a very weak end of first half or weak start of the second as teams manage their pace to last the full 90 so they have energy for a push at the end, if they don't do that you usually see the last 20 mins of a game being utter shit as both sides are knackered, Mourinho would be fucked though.

Only ones I really dislike are the pass to yourself on a free-kick/corner/goal-kick, the no rebound on pens and referees can only blow for half-time or full-time when the ball goes out of play.

I would also add in ref cams with microphone and a video ref as mandatory for all top flight leagues.

sora87

This Salah business needs to hurry up and get done, we've got other parts of the team that need players a lot more than the forward line

DBT85

I got no issue if they want to keep time properly but reduce the halves as a result. The playing time will be the same anyway but at least it gets rid of that side of time wasting. If you want to waste time, you do it with the ball.

F34R

Watching Cameroon, love their uniforms for sure. Looking back, realizing how far they've come with support from their country. The 1994 World Cup team was so underfunded, they were righting their numbers with black magic marker ffs.

Now.. 23 years later, they have some really nice uniforms.

Zasa

1 year ago today, Chile beat México 7-0 in the Copa América Bicentario. Which they eventually won.

A glorious day in history.

Top Bottom