• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

Jarnet87

1 billion euro release clause lol, if he really wants to leave he'll have to publicly come out and ask to leave because no team is paying close to that

DCdHtlJWAAABRjj.jpg:large

"Wenger out"

Even at a Sweden v England under-21 game...

Pachimari

What's up with this Ronaldo to other clubs talk. It's hilarious to read. He'll stay here in Madrid for the next 3-4 years. He ain't going nowhere.

Tubie

What's up with this Ronaldo to other clubs talk. It's hilarious to read. He'll stay here in Madrid for the next 3-4 years. He ain't going nowhere.

I think this comes directly from Ronaldo or someone close to him. It wouldn't be reported by literally every major newspaper in Spain (it's not just some bullshit article in AS or Marca) if there wasn't anything solid behind it.

Whether his end game is really to leave Madrid is another thing.

I think this comes directly from Ronaldo or someone close to him. It wouldn't be reported by literally every major newspaper in Spain (it's not just some bullshit article in AS or Marca) if there wasn't anything solid behind it.

Whether his end game is really to leave Madrid is another thing.

We already know the source is A Bola in Portugal. Others are just citing their story.

Anyway, as you said, the claim is stating that the desire to leave is firmly Ronaldo's.

Honestly, for all the BS reports on Ronaldo over the years, I don't recall someone making a claim on him asking to leave. That's why I'm not discounting this just yet.

cromofo

Pickford saves an important pen.

Really smart decision to sign him before his trip with England. His arms might fall off next game but still.

He's class.

El Topo

Hope he is worth the hype there. We are really in a dire need of great winger.

He was sensational when he came to us, but fizzled out more and more. I'm not sure if that is due to his personality or because he never was at home. I really hope he works out for you guys.

I mean, sources close to Messi said the same shit when his tax case started.

True and Real is the 'strong' stakeholder in this one. Ronaldo has a contract until 2021.
Ronaldo and Messi are giant baby's imo, every time crying about things the club can't do anything about. What should Real have said? That they support tax fraud?

Ronaldo is already 32, but you have to keep in mind that he's a global phenomenon.
He brings in so much money (lots of new fans, new sponsors and better deals with current ones), has a massive fanbase who's going to follow him to his next club and just overall gives a club a direct boost in confidence and stature.
Having Ronaldo in your team, makes buying new players a lot easier since everyone wants to work with such a legend. It's the same with Messi.

Real should just be patient and be quiet. The best you can do right now is ignoring the whole thing and not saying anything stupid about Ronaldo.
Ronaldo leaving would just be devastating for Real. The current sponsors made deals knowing Ronaldo would be the face of Real Madrid, the same with the players they bought and want to buy. Mbappe is a huge Ronaldo fan, so the transfer would become more difficult without Ronaldo. And most importantly, Real can never buy a better player, so it certainly has a direct and immense implication on the field. Imagine going against Barcelona next year when Messi scores 50+ goals for example.

That said, who has the money for Ronaldo? Real can ask what it wants and he certainly isn't going to take a pay cut. So if let's say Real gets 100 million for Ronaldo and he's getting 50 million every year for 4 years, that a 300 million investment for a 32 year old player. He's probably worth it considering the transfer market nowadays, but it's still a big risk.

He's 32 and more driven than anyone else in the game. I'd love to see him back in the PL.

I think the only way he'd retire in the next 5 years is through injury.

Thinking about it, the only place he could go is the PL. The only European team outside of England that can pay him is PSG and he's not going to play in France, it's the same with China and USA.
And he always said that he will only play for Man Utd in England, but Man Utd has Mourinho. :D

So yeah, I don't think he's going to leave Real.

acohrs

Think this is Ronaldo ways of saying if I haven't been paying my taxes and may lose money, I want a new higher salary contract to offset my future losses. Sergio Ramos probably told him how to use yoonited as a way to get better contracts 🤣

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
He just renewed his contract last year, this is not pushing for a new contract.

My guess is that this tax evasion accusation just hurt Ronaldo's huge ego and he really doesn't want to play in Spain anymore as he saw that as an insult. He might get over it or not. Time will tell.

Pachimari

I have just read up on the whole Cristiano Ronaldo saga, and although shocking, I don't believe he'll leave this Summer. Let him finish the Confederations Cup and let's see what'll happen. In case he leaves, it's not the be all end all anyway.

I believe this is the work of his agent Jorge Mendes who will want to improve Cristiano's current deal. Because why would he be angry with Real Madrid? Not enough support? Just two weeks ago he said he wanted to retire at Real Madrid at the age of 41, and the club has made a public announcement supporting him already. I mean, this tax evasion can't be blamed at the club. Rather, Jorge Mendes has a history of having a difficult relationship with Real Madrid and might want to convince the player that the club is to blame for all of this. All of these coaches and players, Jose Mourinho, Ricardo Carvalho, Pepe, Fabio Coentrao, Falcao and Angel Di Maria, have had issues with the tax office of Spain, and they are all Jorge Mendes clients, so who knows if Mendes is trying to use Real as a scapegoat.

I don't think Ronaldo wants to leave per se. Rather they want a better deal to offset the €30 million that he will have to pay the Spanish tax office. This is but a strategy to get that deal.

El Topo

I don't think Ronaldo wants to leave per se. Rather they want a better deal to offset the €30 million that he will have to pay the Spanish tax office. This is but a strategy to get that deal.

Given the sums we are talking about, surely he will face prison, no?

Think this is Ronaldo ways of saying if I haven't been paying my taxes and may lose money, I want a new higher salary contract to offset my future losses. Sergio Ramos probably told him how to use yoonited as a way to get better contracts 🤣

This has nothing to do with not paying taxes.

Spanish authorities changed the law to tax foreign earnings from image rights and made it apply retrospectively.

Spain is asking for tax to be paid in years when this law didn't even exist.

Seems like Milan are willing to let Donnarumma's contract run out and let him rot in the reserves this season.

They aren't. You can't do that to a player, after they do that, who's going to go to such a club?
I also don't understand the anger against him, yes he probably could have said it earlier etc, but Milan is not the club it used to be. Maybe now after the takeover, but that's still uncertain.

They just want other clubs to know that he's gonna be expensive, like he should.
Real should buy him and he's gonna be expensive. With him you have a world class keeper for like 15 years. That can cost some money.

El Topo

Spanish authorities changed the law to tax foreign earnings from image rights and made it apply retrospectively.

The important question here though is not whether he didn't pay the taxes on that, which seems out of question, but whether he deliberately used a complicated construct of business ventures to deliberately mask his income (with the intent of avoiding taxes). I think it should be interesting to hear the reason for his ventures, if not tax evasion.

Edit:
Rewrote my post to make it a bit more clear what I meant since the income from advertising I mentioned *is* the money from the image rights.

They aren't. You can't do that to a player, after they do that, who's going to go to such a club?
I also don't understand the anger against him, yes he probably could have said it earlier etc, but Milan is not the club it used to be. Maybe now after the takeover, but that's still uncertain.

They just want other clubs to know that he's gonna be expensive, like he should.
Real should buy him and he's gonna be expensive. With him you have a world class keeper for like 15 years. That can cost some money.

I do understand the anger, not only from the fans but also from the board. Donnarumma (and more specifically Raiola) toyed with them. Gone from a potential club legend to just another mercenary in the span of four days.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I don't think Ronaldo wants to leave per se.

1. Real should wait until Messi's new contract is finalized this summer.
2. Offer Ronaldo a new deal worth 1 euro more.
3. ?????
4. Profit.

Seems like Milan are willing to let Donnarumma's contract run out and let him rot in the reserves this season.

That escalated quickly. I've heard Donnarumma described as the Messi of keepers, and he grew up a huge fan of the club. How did Milan screw that up?

1. Real should wait until Messi's new contract is finalized this summer.
2. Offer Ronaldo a new deal worth 1 euro more.
3. ?????
4. Profit.

That escalated quickly. I've heard Donnarumma described as the Messi of keepers, and he grew up a huge fan of the club. How did Milan screw that up?

They offered him 150k p/w and the captain's armband. Looks like a fantastic offer for an 18-year old kid. Pretty sure Milan was convinced he would accept seeing as he has stated time and again he wanted to stay at the club. Guess Raiola had other plans for him.

tim.mbp

Pretty sure the "Beckham Law" was changed in 2009 and existing players who qualified were exempt until the end of 2014.

Also I'm pretty sure some people at EA are sweating a bit at this Ronaldo news. They finally have Ronaldo and probably also an agreement with Real Madrid (seeing the Madrid shirt on 'fat' Ronaldo). :D

The marketing team is probably going some overtime. Who could have thought that.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Anybody have any hot betting tips for Russia-New Zealand? I need an excuse to watch it. I looked at Russia's squad and didn't recognize one player because they are all based in Russia. What has happened to Russian football? Don't they invest significant amounts of money in the sport?

I do understand the anger, not only from the fans but also from the board. Donnarumma (and more specifically Raiola) toyed with them. Gone from a potential club legend to just another mercenary in the span of four days.

Isn't that just modern football? I understand Milan is pissed, but I also understand Donnarumma. Although he's only 18, he probably can get the spot at Real, PSG and any other world class team without a world class goalkeeper.
At Real he could earn more and win prices along the way.

And yes, Raiola is just a maffia figure. Going from making pizza's in Holland to making almost 50 million from one transfer for a few phone calls.

Also I'm pretty sure some people at EA are sweating a bit at this Ronaldo news. They finally have Ronaldo and probably also an agreement with Real Madrid (seeing the Madrid shirt on 'fat' Ronaldo). :D

The marketing team is probably going some overtime. Who could have thought that.

Unless they don't have clauses to deal with this situation, which they probably do since it will have happened for at least one of their sports games, this is great for them. Ronaldo is gonna be a recurring headline that never steps away. It's priceless marketing.

Top Bottom