• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

Chelsea
Tottenham
Man City
Liverpool
Arsenal
Man United

I honestly can't judge how these are gonna fall this season. Everton are a bit of a wildcard as well.

I think Liverpool aren't gonna start as strong as we did last season, Europe and all to hopefully be thinking about. Chelsea aren't gonna stay as dominant, it's just their way. Tottenham are at the mercy for their squad depth for now, but there's no reason to think they can't keep last season going. City should do really well. Should. Arsenal have a lot to prove but I'm not convinced they've learned any lessons. And if United's players begin to properly gel they'll be a force to be reckoned with. Or they could be average. Please be average.

Looking at transfer business and pre-season prep I'm going to say City, Chelsea and Tottenham will make up the top three again but will be tighter but not as many points won overall. Then United, Liverpool and Arsenal battling for 4th, 5th and 6th again.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'm hoping we can take advantage of the fatigue the likes of spurs and Liverpool will suffer with the extra matches of the champions league

I also hope we play our youth in the Europa. Isn't an important competition and it'll be a good experience for them

I'm hoping we can take advantage of the fatigue the likes of spurs and Liverpool will suffer with the extra matches of the champions league

I also hope we play our youth in the Europa. Isn't an important competition and it'll be a good experience for them
It is an important competition. You can gain Champions League qualification through winning it. As things currently stand I don't see Arsenal getting top 4 so it should be a priority to try and win the Europa.

Lashley

It is an important competition. You can gain Champions League qualification through winning it. As things currently stand I don't see Arsenal getting top 4 so it should be a priority to try and win the Europa.
We'll get top 4 unless Sanchez leaves

I wish UEFA found a way to increase the Europa's reputation. Too many good teams play in it for it to be treated as a side trophy. Maybe give 1st place a second seed place in the CL but the runner up can get in via qualifying? Or would prize money be the key...

Syder

Even if Sánchez leaves, if Arsenal disregard EL and League Cup and they can't mount a challenge for the Top 4 then what's the point in Wenger staying? Surely the ambition should be to finish in the Top 4 at least.

Lashley

Even if Sánchez leaves, if Arsenal disregard EL and League Cup and they can't mount a challenge for the Top 4 then what's the point in Wenger staying? Surely the ambition should be to finish in the Top 4 at least.
Honestly I wish he'd left, but hopefully he has a desire to win something that'll spur us on

sammex

Spurs coped pretty well last season. I am a bit concerned if we don't get another CB and midfielder especially since last year we took a massive hit in January with missing players and we weren't in Europe.

Why not take the Europa league seriously? It's not as if Arsenal have a lot of European trophies.

Lashley

Spurs coped pretty well last season. I am a bit concerned if we don't get another CB and midfielder especially since last year we took a massive hit in January with missing players and we weren't in Europe.

Why not take the Europa league seriously? It's not as if Arsenal have a lot of European trophies.
I'd rather concentrate on the league. If we win the Europa League then that's great, but not at the expense of the league

Lashley

What's your stance on Sánchez? Cash in on him or let him leave on a free in a year?
I'd rather cash in to a club aboard and buy a midfielder like Lemar

I imagine We'll sell him late in the window and panic buy someone like Barkley

For the club that buys Barkley. Don't play him in the games against us, he's gonna get sent off.

A miracle he didn't in the games this season!

DBT85

Sell United sanchez, we pay top dollar.

I'd rather concentrate on the league. If we win the Europa League then that's great, but not at the expense of the league
My question would be: Were Arsenal in Uniteds position last season, would you have preferred Arsen to fight for 4th or roll the dice on 2 matches that could get you cl and a trophy?

Chelsea
Tottenham
Man City
Liverpool
Arsenal
Man United

I honestly can't judge how these are gonna fall this season. Everton are a bit of a wildcard as well.

I think Liverpool aren't gonna start as strong as we did last season, Europe and all to hopefully be thinking about. Chelsea aren't gonna stay as dominant, it's just their way. Tottenham are at the mercy for their squad depth for now, but there's no reason to think they can't keep last season going. City should do really well. Should. Arsenal have a lot to prove but I'm not convinced they've learned any lessons. And if United's players begin to properly gel they'll be a force to be reckoned with. Or they could be average. Please be average.

Id agree with the bolded normally but if Conte gets his way (and it seems he may be) then the serious surgery hes doing on the squad could offset the usual resting on our laurels.

Of course, we still have a ton of business to do in that case, but seems like the club are actually progressing with this for once, especially after he refused to sign an actual extension.

At least 4 more signings expected, we'll see what sort of squad we've got on September 1st

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Cant wait for Neymar to fuck off to France.

225m euros we could buy two of the sub23 top-5 players.

Countinho and Dybala would be my picks.

Jimrpg

Is there a GAF Football discord?

Curious because I made one for my friends on whatsapp, but now they're not interested, so happy to share it with the rest of GAF Football if they don't have one already.

Would like to join the GAF one if there is one already.

casiopao

Cant wait for Neymar to fuck off to France.

225m euros we could buy two of the sub23 top-5 players.

Countinho and Dybala would be my picks.

Lol. Dybala wont move out from Juventus especially when this year we just send out Bonucci lol.

U can ask again in 2 years for 200 mil lol.

Jimrpg

I'd rather cash in to a club aboard and buy a midfielder like Lemar

I imagine We'll sell him late in the window and panic buy someone like Barkley

As an Everton fan, I'll quietly say - if we get 50m pounds for him, this will be a bigger steal than John Stones and Rodwell combined.

Lashley

Arsenal playing today at the Emirates in the Emirates Cup.

So fucking excited, tired of boring weekends

Should be signing Lemar regardless of whether Alexis leaves.

I agree, but Wenger won't pay the money needed

Sell United sanchez, we pay top dollar.

My question would be: Were Arsenal in Uniteds position last season, would you have preferred Arsen to fight for 4th or roll the dice on 2 matches that could get you cl and a trophy?

If we're in that position, then the latter, depending on the opposition

Courtois; Azpilicueta, David Luiz, Cahill (c); Moses, Kante, Fabregas, Alonso; Willian, Batshuayi, Morata.

Batsman and Morata starting, wonder if they will both play up front or if someone will fill in for Pedro.

Curious because I made one for my friends on whatsapp, but now they're not interested, so happy to share it with the rest of GAF Football if they don't have one already.

+1 for a whatsapp, telegram or discord option

T-Rex.

Banned

Was wondering the same, but I don't think there is a Discord atm.

Jimrpg

+1 for a whatsapp, telegram or discord option

Was wondering the same, but I don't think there is a Discord atm.

Ok i see. I can't believe there's no discord for football gaf, seems like the perfect thing for game time.

Quote to reveal discord channel I've set up (link lasts 24 hrs)-

Here's what I have so far (preview screens) -

oajIErS.png

SsnBUqD.png

Happy to take any suggestions for it as well if people are interested.

My problem with a discord is that it can make communities pretty insular. Very small barrier for entry sure but it's an extra hurdle. For organising online games and stuff I get it, but I don't get what it offers us for purely social reasons beyond what we have here. Besides voice chat I suppose.

Jimrpg

My problem with a discord is that it can make communities pretty insular. Very small barrier for entry sure but it's an extra hurdle. For organising online games and stuff I get it, but I don't get what it offers us for purely social reasons beyond what we have here. Besides voice chat I suppose.

Yep I certainly don't want to take anything away from here. But there are things in discord that are slightly different than this gaf thread, conversations are pretty informal, seperate channels for different topics and the app is pretty nice to use.

Also perhaps people may just want more content to digest. As long as its not the same discussions across both platforms, but you could say that about the internet as a whole in general.

And apologies if it seems like I was trying to pull users away from here, wasn't my intention at all. I was just wondering if there was a discord football gaf I could join myself.

Top Bottom