• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

Lunar FC

Shame about Sturridge's injury, he probably would have started.

I would love more than anything to see this team succeed with Sturridge leading the attack or even as an impact substitute. Watching him and Suarez in 13/14 was literally what made me a Liverpool fan. The preseason has been filled with people in and around the club singing his praises. Just as a began to reconsider him being a focal point of the squad, yesterday happened. Probably wasn't anything serious, and I should be used to it by now, but it just doesn't seem he will ever be mainstay in the team again. Which bums me out.

Bayern and Madrid both having awful pre-seasons. Madrid in particular have a crazy schedule ahead, including two classicos and the Uefa Super Cup. Rude awakening to start the season.

barber

Who would have expected that at the end of last season? Neymar Sr really is a piece of work
Does anyone here follow second divisions and what is your opinion about them? I was forced to watch some games of the league championship by a newcastle friend and then my team is in the spanish second division (1,2,3-> don't ask why it is called that) and can be more entertaining as a competition, thoughthere is less quality football

Mac_Lane

I'm really glad for my club that Neymar is joining, but the amount of money spent is nuts. Well, the Qatari owners don't really give a damn about money anyway, they're practically swimming in it.

Does anyone here follow second divisions and what is your opinion about them? I was forced to watch some games of the league championship by a newcastle friend and then my team is in the spanish second division (1,2,3-> don't ask why it is called that) and can be more entertaining as a competition, thoughthere is less quality football

If you enjoy leggy or traditional football then its well worth watching. Most teams seem to be better matched so you rarely get dodgy defensive football that many teams are forced to do when playing the more tactically aware, technically gifted or physically powerful sides. If your team struggles in the lower half of top flight football they become far more enjoyable to watch once they go down a division. The crowds are often better as its less about watching the football and more about having a laugh. Most fans often have a healthy dose of humour about the club and their position (the hardcore lower league fans are fucking mental though). This was the reason I became a Man City fan originally. The team were more fun to watch live and it was just fun regardless of the result. Though I always use to watch the La Liga evening games or Seria A morning games for quality football.

We're gonna get dicked by Atletico.

I fear for Sadio's knee, and everyone's ankles.

The plus side with Studge being out means Solanke gets his time, which I imagine was the plan anyway. Well, Origi would have been the plan but, y'know.

The real focus should be on keeping up the hypnosis that's unlocked Moreno's potential.

TimmmV

This is Liverpools list of possible opponents:

Hoffenheim
CSKA Moscow
Sporting
Nice
Young Boys
Viktoria Plzen
Steaua Bucharest
Club Brugge
Istanbul BB
PAOK, AEK Athens or Panathinaikos

There are some good teams in there that wouldn't be out of place in the round of 16 next February. Hoffenheim is to the one to avoid IMO. I'd be worried about YB as well as they are Liverpool's bogey team, just seem incapable of beating them.

Huh, are they? Are you not confusing them with Basel there?

Edit: and yeah, pls no injuries Atletico

Why? Because Like 99% of the Players He values money first? not Like he's going to China anyway.

Any player who has dignity would not want to play in the less competitive league.

True passionate players would always search for the highest competition available.

I have less respect for players who choose to downgrade their level of playing field.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/15446756.Saints_stalemate_as_van_Dijk_stands_firm/ From Adam Leitch from the Daily Echo.

Basically Van Dijk is still isolated from the team, he still wants to move, Southampton doesn't want to sell.

But the reality is they have an asset worth £60m or more, who is probably also the best player in the squad, effectively doing nothing of any constructive use to them, and all the while how it affects spirit in the dressing room remains a key concern for Pellegrino.

Liverpool are remaining quiet about van Dijk having been alleged of tapping-up by Saints earlier in the window, but media close to the club still report the Reds are keen to get a deal done.

However, reports suggest, they want Saints to indicate they are prepared to do sell before making any approach. That would in theory mean Saints getting so frustrated by the current stalemate that they decide to sell and be done with it.

Whatever happens it is difficult for Pellegrino, who is trying to establish himself at the club, while the fans will also remain concerned not only by van Dijk's actions but by the fact it is overshadowing what should be an exciting build-up to the new campaign.

TimmmV

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/15446756.Saints_stalemate_as_van_Dijk_stands_firm/ From Adam Leitch from the Daily Echo.

Basically Van Dijk is still isolated from the team, he still wants to move, Southampton doesn't want to sell.

That probably puts things at a stalemate though - Southampton won't want to officially tell Liverpool he's up for sale, as that means Liverpool can probably bid less than Southampton will want, and Liverpool can't bid without Southampton telling them it's ok to after the whole tapping up/apology thing

Bit of a weird situation where everyone knows the probable outcome, but doesn't want to blink first.

Any player who has dignity would not want to play in the less competitive league.

True passionate players would always search for the highest competition available.

I have less respect for players who choose to downgrade their level of playing field.

Come on dude, it's not like hes going to Siberia or something. It's still France, and PSG are still a top level CL team (and will likely get better with this transfer)

Sciel

He's won everything there is to win with Barcelona.

Say what you want about the French League but you would honestly tell me that if you were in Neymar's position, you won't take this chance to double/triple your salary AND get out of Messi's shadow at the same time?

I like this move, because for once, one of the big two spanish clubs are getting fked about.

https://imgur.com/stClWdA

oilvomer

I dont like this Naymar deal, as TBH if the Qataris want to throw their money around, then let them, it is clear Naymar cares about his brand (did not hurt Beckham) so you can see why players are selfish, all he will be thinking he will be number 1 in France and all people talk about is him. it is the off shoots that hurt the game...

It is a bit like how estate agencies work, if they achieve a high asking price for a property on a street, all it does is drag other property prices up on the same street, even if they were not worth it, now suddenly we will get if Naymar is worth this, then our player is worth X amount..

CrayToes

I fear for Sadio's knee, and everyone's ankles.

The plus side with Studge being out means Solanke gets his time, which I imagine was the plan anyway. Well, Origi would have been the plan but, y'know.

The real focus should be on keeping up the hypnosis that's unlocked Moreno's potential.

In fairness, Moreno hasn't had to defend at all so far in pre season. He'll get exposed instantly against a decent RW who's actually trying. He may definitely be an option against defensive teams who put 10 men behind the ball like Burnley, Utd etc though.

Bersi

Dignity? LMAO

Players are workers with a limited career span,so naturally money comes first,he's going to be the biggest star in a great team like psg,living in a beautiful city like paris,can someone please tell me how he's making a mistake? beacuse i just can't see it.

also with neymar and alves i feel confident in saying that psg right now is a better team than barca,so he's not downgrading anything.
Its the way he is going about it

And lol French league. That's like moving from Ferrari to a lower end Ford.
I swear this bullshit about the competitiveness of a league that i'm sure 99% of the people in this thread doesn't watch a single minute of it drives me nuts.

Say what you want about the French League but you would honestly tell me that if you were in Neymar's position, you won't take this chance to double/triple your salary AND get out of Messi's shadow at the same time?

No man,he's a spineless coward without dignity who's making a big mistake because he likes money! shame on him!

Why do i've the feeling that if neymar would have went to united or some other PL clubs he would have been praised instead or being called out for valuing money LIKE EVERY SINGLE PLAYER IN 2017.

oilvomer

I think you guys are being a bit unfair, my Wife just changed her job that she loved for the same job but £3K more pa....

Was she selfish? nope... unfortunately money talks into today's world, now of course it is slightly different as if she had so much money she did not need to worry then things might be different

Why should he not want to leave? He can go to a club where he will be the guaranteed star of, and earn a lot of fucking cash at the same time. Loyalty? Fuck off lol, why should he be loyal to barca? Always been clear he and his family were a greedy fucking bunch, and I understand that. More money is always nice.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
When the Neymar rumours started I didn't believe them what, 2 weeks ago? Eating my words.

Who would have expected that at the end of last season? Neymar Sr really is a piece of work

I've followed the Championship for the last 4 years and League 1 before that because I'm a Huddersfield supporter. Agreed that in a sense it's a more competitive league. This season for example we saw a few teams jump in and out of the promotion spots (Fulham making a late season push to get into the playoffs with Leeds dropping out (lol)). Haven't followed any other second divisions but I'd imagine there's a similar feel across the board. Arguably simpler football but then there's a better chance your team might do well also. Getting promotion was about the level of winning the premier league for us, and these things can happen to anyone in lower leagues.

Come on dude, it's not like hes going to Siberia or something. It's still France, and PSG are still a top level CL team (and will likely get better with this transfer)

I like this move, because for once, one of the big two spanish clubs are getting fked about.

https://imgur.com/stClWdA

Dignity? LMAO

Players are workers with a limited career span,so naturally money comes first,he's going to be the biggest star in a great team like psg,living in a beautiful city like paris,can someone please tell me how he's making a mistake? beacuse i just can't see it.

also with neymar and alves i feel confident in saying that psg right now is a better team than barca,so he's not downgrading anything.

I'm not talking about downgrading the team, but downgrading the competition.

He's the best player in the world just below Ronaldo and Messi right now. He can choose any team other than Barca and can still be the biggest star in that club. He could choose any team in the Premier League, Bundesliga, or Serie A and he'll still be the biggest star in that club. But he chose PSG instead, the team who has won the league 4 times in a row. There's clearly no competition there for PSG.

T-Rex.

Banned

He's the best player in the world just below Ronaldo and Messi right now. He can choose any team other than Barca and can still be the biggest star in that club. He could choose any team in the Premier League, Bundesliga, or Serie A and he'll still be the biggest star in that club. But he chose PSG instead, the team who has won the league 4 times in a row. There's clearly no competition there for PSG.
Which other team would have put down that much money for him?

Bersi

There are zero teams in italy or germany that can afford neymar,the only 2 clubs besides psg that could afford him are the 2 manchester clubs.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!

There's no other club that would have met his release clause, and Barca made it clear they wouldn't be selling him otherwise. PSG are his only option.

Dom King saying that LFC are looking for another midfielder target after losing out on Keita. Sounds good to me.

Last year when he didn't get Dahoud, we went for Wijnaldum and that went pretty well. Hoping for the same again.

tim.mbp

He could choose any team in the Premier League, Bundesliga, or Serie A and he'll still be the biggest star in that club. But he chose PSG instead, the team who has won the league 4 times in a row. There's clearly no competition there for PSG.

I mean Monaco won Ligue 1 last season. Bayern won their league the past 5 seasons and Juve the past 6.

Dom King saying that LFC are looking for another midfielder target after losing out on Keita. Sounds good to me.

Last year when he didn't get Dahoud, we went for Wijnaldum and that went pretty well. Hoping for the same again.

Whoever they bring in would just be a stop gap if we still go after Keita next summer.

I totally get why Neymar is going to PSG besides the money and I also think it is a good move. People just look at the silly figures and ignore what benefits a move like this has for player and for the club.

PSG are a team that are knocking on the door of the CL. They have grown exponentially over the last ten years. They are one of five clubs that are truly global teams and have fiscal backing that even less teams have. They are extremely ambitious and only going to grow.

With Neymar staying at Barca even if Messi left he would still be in his shadow. If he went to one of the more established big clubs he would still be a player in a bigger club with decades of players just as good if not better than him lining their histories. If Neymar helps PSG win the CL he is the player that made them win it. He has the chance to go down as a true legend at a club that doesn't have many/any.

For PSG he is going to be one hell of a marketing asset. A Nike player in a top tier Nike club, his face is everywhere and every time this just promotes PSG. PSG haven't really had a player they could market as heavily yet outside of the traditional markets they are easily mixing it up with Real Madrid, Barca, United and City. Doing better than them in many markets. Now they might be able to push the traditional markets as well allowing them to push commercial deals that weren't possible before.

PSG really are the only club willing to pay that sort of money, neither of the Manchester clubs were prepared to get even close to what PSG offered. They weren't prepared to pay less for Messi or Ronaldo. Ever since he arrived at Barca his dad has been getting him larger and larger deals every year on a transfer that was already super shady. It was only a matter of time before Barca couldn't keep up with the demands of the Neymar's. But just like Pogba's deal it will quickly be forgotten as the market continues to get more mental.

NHale

You clearly need to research the subject a lot more.

TimmmV

But Monaco just won the french league?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
The world has gone mad

I hope Barca don't try and get Sanchez back

Oh, was there ANY FIFA 18 gameplay shown on that stream? I thought they hyped that up, but I've seen zero videos?

Top Bottom