• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So I'm guessing FFP isn't a thing anymore then?

Doesn't seem that long ago that 50m was crazy money. He's a great player but that is just insane. I suppose they see it as buying a brand as well.

Which other team would have put down that much money for him?

There are zero teams in italy or germany that can afford neymar,the only 2 clubs besides psg that could afford him are the 2 manchester clubs.

There's no other club that would have met his release clause, and Barca made it clear they wouldn't be selling him otherwise. PSG are his only option.

There's still another option. Wait until his contract runs out or extend at Barca without such ridiculous release clause.

As I previously said, he could be the next biggest star in Barca in 1-2 years when Messi is already too old.

I mean Monaco won Ligue 1 last season. Bayern won their league the past 5 seasons and Juve the past 6.

You clearly need to research the subject a lot more.

Right, I clearly missed that.

Just to be clear, I'm no Barca fan. I'm just sad that I won't be able to watch him play in a world-class league anymore. By world-class, I mean leagues that regularly being broadcasted worldwide. Liegue 1 barely got coverage even after the recent bump in quality. Players that go the Ligue 1 just ended up forgotten (by me, at least). I was sad when Ibra, Cavani, Veratti, Di Maria went to PSG too back then.

barber

I have no problem with League 1 though it is not top 3 leagues it is not scottish level of meh. Kinda sad that Monaco has to sell all the players it grows and that PSG's owner is of the school of "spend until you win" which kinda destroys the ecosystem. But Neymar leaving after Barça basically bending backwards for nearly every demand and the assholish behaviour of his father? Yeah, I will not be surprised when he is called a "rat" or a "mercenary" by barcelona fans.

TimmmV

Just to be clear, I'm no Barca fan. I'm just sad that I won't be able to watch him play in a world-class league anymore. By world-class, I mean leagues that regularly being broadcasted worldwide. Liegue 1 barely got coverage even after the recent bump in quality. Players that go the Ligue 1 just ended up forgotten (by me, at least). I was sad when Ibra, Cavani, Veratti, Di Maria went to PSG too back then.

Ligue 1 isn't suddenly going to get good by itself though - the teams dont have the money to keep the players getting poached by richer teams in other leagues.

It's good for the league that they have taken a superstar away from La Liga. If more people watch it because of Neymar they can get more TV money, and then maybe keep some players in the league for longer.

It's always been a shame that France have had such strong national teams, but no real domestic strength since like the mid 90's - maybe stuff like this can change that

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
But Neymar leaving after Barça basically bending backwards for nearly every demand and the assholish behaviour of his father? Yeah, I will not be surprised when he is called a "rat" or a "mercenary" by barcelona fans.

I completely see your point and agree, but I have no sympathy for Barca. For years they have been tapping players up via the media and their players. How often do you see stories of Barca players giving interviews saying that 'X player is good enough for Barcelona' - usually by an ex or international teammate of said player.

Coutinho is the best recent example, and Liverpool have been doing this in turn to Southampton.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
After what barca did to us with Cesc....

giphy.gif

I guess. I think the train might have left on Keita now, all the big bad wolves will be after him next season surely.

Maybe so but apparently he wants a Liverpool move even next summer. The thing with Mahmoud Dahoud was that he didn't want leave Germany, so that's why he didn't agitated for a move, which is why Klopp didn't go for him this summer.

barber

I completely see your point and agree, but I have no sympathy for Barca. For years they have been tapping players up via the media and their players. How often do you see stories of Barca players giving interviews saying that 'X player is good enough for Barcelona' - usually by an ex or international teammate of said player.

Coutinho is the best recent example, and Liverpool have been doing this in turn to Southampton.
I mean every big team does that. Even in my region Sporting did that after Real Oviedo got relegated (but when it was the other way around they made us sign a deal so that noone touched each others lower teams, hah). It is just that after all Barcelona has spent trying to create a culture of "wanting to play there", Neymar which was probably the poster boy (he chose us over Real Madrid! even for less money! ) he sold out.
And as a Real Madrid fan (not a great one but regardless), it is good that he left but it is also sad when it is in such a way.

Beefy

I think just to prove a point Saints will hold on to him (unless Chelsea or City get involved again). Can't really blame the club either tbf.

Nah, they should fight for him. Once he gets over it and is fully fit he'll be invaluable for Saints. Even if it is only for another year.

I just don't want a player fucking up our season. I don't care where he goes.

TimmmV

Barca are the worst for tapping up and then acting holier than thou afterwards

10 years or so ago they were really likeable, but all the "mes que un club" stuff while coupled with the tax evasion and taking sponsorship from Qatar has made them so hateable lol

Like, I don't really blame any Southampton fan for not liking Livepool for how they've bought so many players over the last few years, but at least we know its purely down to offering more money + a slightly higher chance to win stuff. Barca act like its the birthright and logical conclusion of every good player to eventually play for them

I honestly don't see him as the type to do that. I think he'll get on with it.

Wouldn't surprise me. Probably haven't acted in a professional manner during these days on "strike".

The Times' Paul Joyce(one of the LFC mouthpieces) wrote this earlier today:

"Liverpool's interest in Southampton centre back Virgil van Dijk continues in the background with the player intent on doing all he can to force a move to Anfield."

Sciel

Barca are the worst for tapping up and then acting holier than thou afterwards

10 years or so ago they were really likeable, but all the "mes que un club" stuff while coupled with the tax evasion and taking sponsorship from Qatar has made them so hateable lol

Like, I don't really blame any Southampton fan for not liking Livepool for how they've bought so many players over the last few years, but at least we know its purely down to offering more money + a slightly higher chance to win stuff. Barca act like its the birthright and logical conclusion of every good player to eventually play for them
This is pretty much common behavior among the big 2 in Spain.

Earlier this summer it was Verrati and some years back iirc it was Thiago Silva

Lashley

Kaveh Solhekol
@SkyKaveh
Journalists waiting outside La Liga offices near Madrid airport for PSG to come and pay Neymar release clause. La Liga said would not accept

lmao

In the euro level it has been my favorite season so far

Double
Champions Double
CR7 top scorer and double in the finals
Destroyed Juventus
Destroyed Atletico
Neymar antics
James leaves

really

tenor.gif

barber

In the euro level it has been my favorite season so far

Double
Champions Double
CR7 top scorer and double in the finals
Destroyed Juventus
Destroyed Atletico
Neymar antics
James leaves

really

tenor.gif
That Champions League final was pure fun, so much for the last two where they said our football was horrible.

Honestly, does this move make any sense on Neymar's part?

Besides the money of course?

This news has really ruined my start of the day.

Honestly, does this move make any sense on Neymar's part?

Besides the money of course?

This news has really ruined my start of the day.

Money. Star status at the club beyond what he gets at Barca. Trophy every year. Makes a lot of sense, for someone quite clearly already from the moment he moved to Barca, was all about the money. Barca should probably have noticed considering the ridiculous shit they paid him and his father.

If Neymar was all about #loyalty #passion4hisclub and all that shit, that Liverpool fans love to talk about, then he should have stayed at Santos. Why people think he got some extraordinary feelings towards Barca is puzzling.

I would have loved Newmar to stay. Messi / Suarez / Neymar is sort of a special thing as a spectator.

But yeah, zero sympathy for Barca. Like other said, they are the worst when it comes to transfer bullshit. And also taking into account the shadiness of the original Neymar transfer, they sort of deserve it.

DBT85

To where?

Utd were linked, but probably not to them

Utd have been very heavily linked in the last few days with more reputable French sources backing it up,

The outcome depends on his trial on the 7th. If no change then he probably can't get a UK visa after elbowing a copper in the chest. Not that that is really anything by PL bad boy standards.

Lashley

Buffon, De Sciglio, Barzagli, Chiellini, Sandro, Khedira, Marchisio, Dybala, Cuadrado, Mandzukic, Higuain = approx €255m

Neymar €222m

Top Bottom