• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

la_briola

https://streamable.com/jnfv

ohhh.png

Jarnet87

Pogba had a fucking awful game, but after the European game let us not pretend most clubs wouldn't jump at the chance to slot Pogba into their solid lineup.

The problem for Man Utd is the backbone is so shitty they're trying to get Pogba to do everything in midfield. Pogba should be given a free role with someone like Carrick to steady the ship. Look how amazing their partnership worked.

Pogba and Fellaini is like a fucking car crash. To expect Pogba to defend is to expect Ronaldo to defend. Pogba can be a good holding midfielder, but that is in possession of the ball. He needs a solid partner who will actually defend and win the ball back when the side isn't in possession.

In all fairness but if Carrick has granda legs now or something given how sparingly he's being used, rotating between him and Schweinsteiger to play alongside Pogba would be a dream compared to using Fellaini. So yeah, for now, #bringbacktheSchwein

Carrick can still play 1 game a week, and if he's in there and the team is cruising then Mou can sub him with 20-30 minutes left. I also think Pogba in a more forward role may benefit with Rashford as the striker over Zlatan. Rashford is always moving and making runs, that extra space the defenders leave to track him is where Pogba can run into and use his skills. Zlatan can do a lot of things still but he can't stretch the defense anymore. Drogba and Costa could do that for him at Chelsea.

Audioboxer

Yeah from Sky Sport, yeah it was clear enough that if you listen a couple of time you could understand it.
Here's with Italian subs.
Again, as i said straight from the horse's mouth.

I wouldn't have doubted that could have came from Mourinho. Salty!

Carrick can still play 1 game a week, and if he's in there and the team is cruising then Mou can sub him with 20-30 minutes left. I also think Pogba in a more forward role may benefit with Rashford as the striker over Zlatan. Rashford is always moving and making runs, that extra space the defenders leave to track him is where Pogba can run into and use his skills. Zlatan can do a lot of things still but he can't stretch the defense anymore. Drogba and Costa could do that for him at Chelsea.

Rashford has been behaving like a fullback and has been absolutely ineffective for a few games now. If we had a replacement I'd actually say he deserves to sit one or two out.

Pundits have it right when they say bringing in two players like Pogba and Zlatan and putting them into an average team hurts them. Where as taking two random average players and dropping them into a full team of great players makes those two average players play better or at least get carried.

Pogba and Zlatan can't carry a team.

PatjuhR

I saw y'all posting about van Dijk a few pages ago. I like him aswell, but all the analysts here in the Netherlands think he is rubbish.

But that's nonsense if he's doing good in the EPL. If you are holding up in the EPL you are a good defender.

I know he's a twat and a hypocrite, but what he actually said was fair enough. Geeing up the crowd when you're 4-0 up is totally classless, like players who take the piss out of opponents when they're winning by a lot. It's just not sportsmanlike.

That's before considering how shit your fans must be if they need to be reminded to cheer when they're beating one of their fiercest fivals four fucking nil.

I mean, I can imagine Mourinho doing exactly the same thing, but taken with no context like that he had a point.

TrueBlue

I know he's a twat and a hypocrite, but what he actually said was fair enough. Geeing up the crowd when you're 4-0 up is totally classless, like players who take the piss out of opponents when they're winning by a lot. It's just not sportsmanlike.

That's before considering how shit your fans must be if they need to be reminded to cheer when they're beating one of their fiercest fivals four fucking nil.

I mean, I can imagine Mourinho doing exactly the same thing, but taken with no context like that he had a point.

You can't use the context to justify Mou's comments and then say he had a point if it was taken with no context.

And it was hardly "geeing up" - he wanted them to applaud and appreciate what was a great performance, which is fair enough. It wasn't as if the Chelsea fans suddenly turned abusive or whatnot.

And honestly - I appreciate what Conte did. Barring the Spurs match in May, the atmosphere is almost always found wanting. This isn't exclusive to Chelsea, mind, it's an issue with a lot of clubs. If Conte can help move that along, fine by me.

Mou just took it personally, but it wasn't about him or United.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Applauding/cheering after a great game and a good victory is now insulting for the other team? WTF! Since when this became a thing? Is not like Conte asked the supporters to chant nasty things about United or made fun of them in any way.

TrueBlue

Applauding/cheering after a great game and a good victory is now insulting for the other team? WTF! Since when this became a thing? Is not like Conte asked the supporters to chant nasty things about United or made fun of them in any way.

Precisely. It wasn't even about United.

On TV? I couldn't hear shit. Were you watching on Sky Sports? I mean I don't doubt that is something Mourinho would say, I just want hard evidence first.

I love him as a person, I just don't think he's what a club like Man Utd needs to get back to winning ways. I think he would do better back in another league, or at another Prem league club. Again, to reiterate, that is not a slight on his person, he genuinely comes across as such a humble person. He's just not fit enough to be a consistent starter.

Pogba had a fucking awful game, but after the European game let us not pretend most clubs wouldn't jump at the chance to slot Pogba into their solid lineup.

The problem for Man Utd is the backbone is so shitty they're trying to get Pogba to do everything in midfield. Pogba should be given a free role with someone like Carrick to steady the ship. Look how amazing their partnership worked.

Pogba and Fellaini is like a fucking car crash. To expect Pogba to defend is to expect Ronaldo to defend. Pogba can be a good holding midfielder, but that is in possession of the ball. He needs a solid partner who will actually defend and win the ball back when the side isn't in possession.

In all fairness but if Carrick has granda legs now or something given how sparingly he's being used, rotating between him and Schweinsteiger to play alongside Pogba would be a dream compared to using Fellaini. So yeah, for now, #bringbacktheSchwein
Schweinsteiger needs to come back

Syder

'Past it' Schweini is still probably a better deep-lying playmaker than anyone else in the United squad but if Schneiderlin can't get play time under LVG or Mou then there's no chance Schweinsteiger will.

Oh shit, forgot there's Liverpool vs. Spurs tomorrow! I'm hoping for an exciting game considering the last 'big game' me and my mates got hyped about was so droll...

Kuros

Oh shit, forgot there's Liverpool vs. Spurs tomorrow! I'm hoping for an exciting game considering the last 'big game' me and my mates got hyped about was so droll...

From what the press are saying Spuds are going to play none of their staring 11 whereas Liverpool will only make a few changes.

Syder

So who's paired with Smalling now that Bailly is out for what could be a good 4-6 weeks?

I hate Blind as a centre back and Rojo looks woefully out of his depth in the Premier League.

NHale

So who's paired with Smalling now that Bailly is out for what could be a good 4-6 weeks?

I hate Blind as a centre back and Rojo looks woefully out of his depth in the Premier League.

For hilarity sake let's hope it's Phil Jones!

Seriously it's going to be Blind or Carrick. And this is the reason why Mourinho wanted Fonte so much (When he recently was in the national squad, he pretty much confirmed United interest during a press conference). He knew he was very thin on CB and Bailly will be out the entire January during CAN.

This United team will be lucky to contend next year but to be quite honest I don't see as end of days already. I remember someone here digging Chelsea's grave a couple of weeks ago after that disaster performance vs Liverpool and now they are 1pt behind the leaders and playing well. Man United has the personnel to do much better they just need their stars to perform as stars. If Pogba, Martial, Fellaini and Ibra play like shit they are done, but if they play well they are top 4 caliber easily. Look at City if Aguero, KDB and David Silva playing like shit they are done, when they play well they look unbeatable.

For hilarity sake let's hope it's Phil Jones!

Seriously it's going to be Blind or Carrick. And this is the reason why Mourinho wanted Fonte so much (When he recently was in the national squad, he pretty much confirmed United interest during a press conference). He knew he was very thin on CB and Bailly will be out the entire January during CAN.

This United team will be lucky to contend next year but to be quite honest I don't see as end of days already. I remember someone here digging Chelsea's grave a couple of weeks ago after that disaster performance vs Liverpool and now they are 1pt behind the leaders and playing well. Man United has the personnel to do much better they just need their stars to perform as stars. If Pogba, Martial, Fellaini and Ibra play like shit they are done, but if they play well they are top 4 caliber easily. Look at City if Aguero, KDB and David Silva playing like shit they are done, when they play well they look unbeatable.

Nah ...you guys are just filled with a bunch of overrated, overpaid and average players. You don't have any stars.

Man United just need consistency. People forget that it's not even November yet and they are only 6 points behind the league leaders. Especially at time where Liverpool screwed the pooch to go clear against United and where Arsenal, Spurs and City all dropped points.

Just a month ago everyone was singing doom and gloom for Chelsea and Conte. Two months ago it was Arsenal. Now both are considered to be "title contenders". It's ridiculously annoying how quickly the press and people in general turn on managers and teams after a couple of awful or good results.

The top 5 are only a point apart, so United and Mourinho still have time, unfortunately.

Best wishes.

Jarnet87

I think Mou has to go with Smalling and Blind in the center, Shaw returning to left back. He can't honestly pick Rojo to start. Fuck it play Tuanzebe or Fosu Mensah.

Audioboxer

Ryan Giggs blasts Manchester United stars for swapping shirts after defeat.

United are definitely lacking a winning mentality and togetherness at the moment.

Giggs is so right it's not funny. Pretty certain Fergie would have fucking rioted in the changing room at that. Beckham boot to face kind of aggression. You need players who feel pain when the club gets humiliated.

Schweinsteiger needs to come back

At this point, for sure.

Any chance teams will put out strong sides in the league cup? Liverpool - Spurs and the Manchester derby could be great if they go for it.

You can't use the context to justify Mou's comments and then say he had a point if it was taken with no context.

By context I meant Mourinho. Like, if almost anyone else had made those comments people would have been like "yeah, fair enough," because the point itself was sound.

Blablurn

Sport1 | New contracts for Robert Lewandowski, Franck Ribéry and Arjen Robben are expected to be announced at the general meeting, Nov 25th

TrueBlue

By context I meant Mourinho. Like, if almost anyone else had made those comments people would have been like "yeah, fair enough," because the point itself was sound.

I agree that the fact it was Mourinho magnified the focus, but I think it would gave come off as sour grapes regardless of who said it.

Besides, there isn't a point. A manager asking his fans to applaud his team's performance isn't disrespectful to the other team - it really has nothing to do with them aside from the fact they're on the receiving end of that performance. It wasn't about how shit United were.

Kill3r7

I want Robben in America.

Ditto but he still has a lot to give at the top level. Best player on the pitch vs PSV. My biggest worry is that he will come to the US after he has lost a step which is what makes him such an interesting player to watch.

Top Bottom