• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Blablurn

Cw53BeeXEAAWDHj.jpg

Cw53AwHXgAAg8Vn.jpg

Syder

Surprised Scotland didn't really turn up tonight. I guess, they've lost faith in the almost-certain-to-be-sacked, Gordon Strachan.
Glad the FA and the SFA didn't break on the Poppy issue.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
"Through English eyes the world is a safer, better place. Two goals clear of the raiders from the north"

Peter Drury is such a terrible commentator. Even his surname annoys me.

Syder

Or Germany 1-5 England

Sure, England are usually turgid to watch these days, but come on
I was 8 when this happened and I'll never forget a minute of it.
I remember it all so vividly. Sat eating a Chinese takeaway with my extended family. Remember when internationals brought people together?
There's even a piece of graffiti on the side of an arcade in my hometown that reads 'England 5-1 Germany' that's still there.
Fuck it, I even remember our exits in 2002, 2004 and 2006 fondly in a bittersweet way.
We'd love to go out of tournaments to Portugal on penalties nowadays.

"Through English eyes the world is a safer, better place. Two goals clear of the raiders from the north"
Jesus Christ. Does he think it's Game of Thrones or something?

DBT85

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. It's not just me.

I fucking hate his commentary. He always has to try and go way over the top with his shit.

Syder

And the nominees for most asinine, puerile, masturbatory piece of commentary in 2016 are...

Peter Drury - "Through English eyes the world is a safer, better place. Two goals clear of the raiders from the north."

Clive Tyldesley - "Justice for the England Eleven!"

[any other examples are welcome]

Or Germany 1-5 England

Sure, England are usually turgid to watch these days, but come on

That's a great shout. Yeah.

I was a bit too young to fully appreciate Euro '96. Although I do remember that Scotland game fondly. I should have remembered that last night.

2 games in 28 years. My mistake.

Oh, and that Holland game now I think about it. Shearer and Sheringham.

3 games in 28 years.

El Topo

England have put up entertaining matches over the years. It's not quite *that* dire. It's not like most German matches are great either.

Syder

England have put up entertaining matches over the years. It's not quite *that* dire. It's not like most German matches are great either.
At least you guys have consistently challenged for and won major competitions in the last 20-30 years.

Also, you hosted the WC 10 years ago which is a pretty fun time; I mean, I have zero interest in athletics but I absolutely loved us hosting the Olympics. I really hope with the stadiums and infrastructure we have in Britain, we can host a tournament sooner rather than later.

Jack cw

13-11-2002! Exactly 14 years ago, #Schweinsteiger and #Lahm celebrated their debuts for #Bayern
Legends. I never thought Schweinsteiger was able to play what he did from 2010 to 2014. 3 CL finals in 4 years with him and the glorious WC 2014 leading in midfield. Lahm is a robot though.

Blablurn

Legends. I never thought Schweinsteiger was able to play what he did from 2010 to 2014. 3 CL finals in 4 years with him and the glorious WC 2014 leading in midfield. Lahm is a robot though.

2010 to 2014 was a magical. I think it will take some time if we ever achieve something similar. we should get used to the fact that everyone was just playing perfectly, combined with a generation that had to prove something.

ancelotti took over many great players. while the older ones already one most of the stuff, the young ones still need some time. the team needs also to find themselves.

LNBL

Memphis Depay scored 2 goals, finally. He needs to shape up and get his shit together, make the move to Everton in the winter.

Jarnet87

There was nothing for Mou to destroy, Depay has been absolute trash. The premier league has just been above his level. He moves in slow motion out there, he tries to pull off a million different things instead of playing a simple game. The few times he has looked good is against weaker European opposition.

CxHSdFCVEAA0C5q.jpg:large

13-11-2002! Exactly 14 years ago, #Schweinsteiger and #Lahm celebrated their debuts for #Bayern

Love the look of the old Munich Olympic Stadium. But how on earth is that no sell-out crowd?

Love how you quoted me with something Blablurn wrote ^^

Syder

Definitely the most convincing performance under Gareth Southgate so far. Spain have been pretty dire though.

EDIT: Wow, Aspas!

Top Bottom